Shekinna Stricklen leads Lady Vols past Georgia

Stricklen, Massengale prompt rally

Tennessee  head coach Pat Summitt, center, talks with her players during a time out in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Georgia, Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, in Athens, Ga.  Tennessee won 67-50.

Photo by John Bazemore

Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt, center, talks with her players during a time out in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Georgia, Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012, in Athens, Ga. Tennessee won 67-50.

ATHENS, Ga. — Ariel Massengale couldn't get a grip on her play, and the basketball wasn't helping matters.

"That ball was pretty slippery," Tennessee's exasperated point guard said. "I don't know what it was."

Twice, the ball got away from her in the first half Sunday night against Georgia. One of her slip-ups set up a Lady Bulldogs basket.

Massengale's plight reflected Tennessee's predicament. They both needed to regroup at halftime.

The result was just one more Massengale turnover and a second-half surge by the Lady Vols for a 67-50 SEC women's basketball victory before a crowd of 10,523 at Stegeman Coliseum.

Shekinna Stricklen led No. 7 Tennessee (16-5, 7-1 SEC) with 24 points. The senior, who returned to the starting lineup at power forward, scored 16 in the second half.

Massengale, who hit two of UT's five 3-pointers, scored 13 of her 16 points after the break. She hit four free throws — part of UT's 17 for 21 shooting from the foul line (76.2 percent) — in the final 1:39.

Stricklen and Massengale were enough to outscore No. 17 Georgia (16-6, 5-4) in the second half. The Lady Bulldogs made just five field goals and mustered 22 points. They finished at 28.8 percent accuracy (17 for 59).

Although guard Meredith Mitchell led Georgia with 13 points, she shot just 2 for 10 from the floor. Jasmine Hassell scored 11.

"We had a great crowd and for a half a great basketball game," Georgia coach Andy Landers said. "But we kind of let it get away from us."

Tennessee was facing the same possibility at halftime. Despite leading by as many as eight points, its advantage was a shaky 29-28 at the break.

Massengale wasn't alone in her ballhandling follies. The Lady Vols amassed 12 of their 19 turnovers in the first half, helping set up eight Georgia points.

Stricklen and fellow senior Glory Johnson convened a pep talk with Massengale during the break.

"I just tried to say something to make her laugh, take her mind off that,'' Stricklen said. "I don't know what I said, probably something stupid."

Along with the turnovers, UT associate head coach Holly Warlick harped on Georgia's 10 offensive rebounds, which provided eight more points on the Lady Bulldogs' behalf in the first 20 minutes.

"We were giving up 16 points on turnovers and offensive rebounds," Warlick said. "So we were really concerned and focused on those two things."

They didn't need a revised plan on defense, especially not after Georgia shot 2 for 12 to start the second half. A zone alignment, for the most part, was sufficient.

Having scored a program-low 44 points at Notre Dame last Monday, the Lady Vols knew the damage that a dry spell could do.

Shifting Stricklen inside worked out well, too. Playing the other forward spot mitigated her 21.4 percent shooting on 3-pointers (9 for 42) since the Christmas break. She scored eight of her baskets from point-blank range. Her final basket was her lone 3-pointer in four attempts.

"My outside shot isn't falling at all,'' she said. "So it feels good to be working around the basket."

Dan Fleser may be reached at 865-342-6288. Follow him at http://twitter.com/FleserKNS and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

coffy73 writes:

Now this is how the Lady vols need to always come out in the second half and play! I know GA isn't top tier, but they are ranked. The team had a nice calmness about them coming out of halftime, they weren't frantic or quick to turn the ball over. Very nice, solid win...keep it up ladies!

jt45 writes:

Why do these girls smile after committing a turnover or foul ? Constant lineup changes this late in the season is something I dont understand from the coaches. Where was Kamiko tonight ? Baugh played like she was scared to defend under the basket.
Glad to see Strickland playing better, she was a totally different player tonight from her recent past games.
Good win girls, sloppy but so was georgia.

etu_vol_fan writes:

It's sad not to see Pat wearing out her players from the sideline. She just sits in her chair. She was by far the greatest coach in any organized sports. It's just painful to watch now.

Millisa writes:

Glad they won got to work on turnovers defense rebounding and not fouling. Keep working hard. and I agree with you etuvolfan

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Coming out in the second half, this show of force was reassuring. They mixed up zone and man to man defenses and scrapped for the loose balls, plus showing really nice moves to the basket.

The first half was frustrating, allowing Georgia to hang around instead of taking care of the ball and putting the Lady Dawgs away.

Stegeman isn't very large, but a really nice arena and their fans support well there.

Nice to see a sprinkling of Orange there ! Not having Meredith Marsh hurt UGA but probably not that much difference once the L V's made up their minds.

Good road win. Waiting on big time pay back to the Lady Felines. Biggest game will be at Vandy.

voloffaith writes:

Still watching Ms. Simmons popping quick shots early in the shot clock or after one pass only. Kamiko proably resting after minutes and hard game at ND. Healing still in progress and Ms. Moshak probaly said if can get by without using do so. Sloppy play is definately stll an issue...I mean a cross court pass and too mant still telegraphed...Oh well keep playing games and coaching and see if Ladies catch on just might make nc2a tourney.

butch31 writes:

I wonder where all the *HATERS^ are from last week? Nothing like winning to make them disappear! With all the upsets, I guess the Lady Vols will move up a spot in the polls.
I am so happy to see Shekinna waking up. The Lady Vols need her. I hope she decides to pass the ball in the post to Glory Johnson, she was wide open several times, and only got one pass from Cierra.
Meighan, needs to work on finding Glory in the post as well, and so Taber. These three think shot 1st.
Vicki, has got get more physical, she is too nice in the post.
Overall this is the lift the Lady Vols needed, I know they will win the final 8 regular season games. The coaching staff needs to know personnel. I knew there were times when Meighan needed a breather, but was kept in the game.
We have a very good South Carolina team coming in to town, and they are not to be taken lightly! Kentucky is on life support after the Alabama game LOL

movol53 writes:

Unforced turnovers just keep happening - -girls you must focus ALL the time. Also. we can't depend on G Johnson to get the majority of the rebounds everyone MUST help out. I believe the reason for all of the constant lineup changes is: the coaches know if we are going to make a run it is going to take EVERYONE on the team to pull their weight - -the freshmen cannot play like freshmen. So everyone must be comfortable with anyone on the floor. I'm concerned that Baugh as not gotten any better and that G Johnson has a shoulder injury; those take a long time to heal. Also, K Williams isn't up to game speed yet and neither is Taber. We've got a lot of healing to do before we can make a run and I think we must win out; we can't let KY win the SEC outright or tourney. I do believe the only coach that might come to UT is the KY coach (write him a big check). Truthfully, the only other coach that is close to Pat's standard is at UCONN and he certainly would not leave a program that he has built from the ground up to come to a program he hates. Plus he wants to beat all of Pat's records while he is at UCONN. I've been a Lady Vol fan since the day Pat arrived on campus (so was I)but I don't see this team making it to the Final Four without a lot of help from other teams come tourney time. If so, it will be the first time ever that a group of seniors never made it to the Final Four. But then this group were the first ones to get put out very early in the tourney.

Volinflan writes:

I really liked watching the starting group. The Lady Vols look like two different teams. When Burdick is in they can go from the free throw line area inside to the Posts then back out quickly and with her jump shot threat it seemed to be working great. Earlier in the season I was wondering what the high expectations (by "they") on her were based on. Now she's showing she's going to be a superstar for the Lady Vols.

Great Win and it was super seeing Stricklin return to form. Simmons was playing "get down" defense tonight.

bmaples writes:

Team looked much better -- in spurts. There were plays that made me sit up and say "Now THERE is Lady Vol basketball!" And there were plays where all I could do was mutter "what were you thinking?"

Stricklen played very solid on both ends. Glory was her usual emphatic self. Massengale showed flashes of speed and ball-handling, and it was great seeing Spani in there. Still, the unforced errors were troubling, and they still looked a little jerky on offense. Defense, though, was solid most of the game, except for not closing out a few times on the outside shooter.

I LOVED that they went to a man defense for part of the game. I thought it pushed up the Lady Vols' energy level just by playing it. Would love to see more of that.

If this team can continue to improve, can learn to work together more and more, and can play lock-down defense and rebound while putting about 10 more points a game on the board, they have a chance at making a run. Let's see how the next few games look.

Ladies, we are all pulling for you -- players, coaches, Pat, we are all pulling for you. You can do this! Make your run!

Bruce in Louisville

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

Very encouraging game from the lady vols. Burdick and Massengale both had good games and Stricklen was amazing today. Spani looked much improved from the ND game and after she made that three it looked like she caused Georgia to change up their defense. It looked like Simmons is trying to be more patient. Particularly in the first half, she seemed a bit more pass oriented and it wasn't till we were up big in the second that she jacked up a few ill advised shots. Good defense overall.

DroopyDrawers writes:

I am a Vol For Life, but in last minutes did not use clock wisely. Manning fouling and Simmons jacking up shot early in shot clock.

itsgolden writes:

Didn't see much to make me change my mind regarding this team being capable of a final four run and most definitely not championship caliber. Georgia has lost all but 1 of its games vs. ranked opponents, so they aren't the measuring stick. This team is still far behind the best.

I didn't quite understand why they were waiting until 10secs on the shot clock to start their offense in the second half. There were almost six minutes left in the game and they were up by 14. What was the purpose of putting Glory back in the game with 1:39 left in the 2nd half??? Obviously the coaching hasn't gotten much better either. I wish CPS would just get up and chew somebody out occasionally, to light a fire under this team.

butch31 writes:

in response to gerrybla:

U must be a UConn fan...no Lady Vol would ever reply in that manner. Get lost jive turkey!

oldster writes:

in response to jt45:

Good win girls, sloppy but so was georgia.

I think the term is "rueful" to describe the smiles to which you refer. I also wondered about Kamiko. I would assume that she was experiencing some soreness. Surely, she was not being punished for the way she played in the last game.

jt45 writes:

In that case they have been rueful ALOT this year, you hardly ever see them take on a serious demeanor, something that you would expect after the turnovers. Pats past teams that were championship caliber knew that Pat would not put up with these unforced errors and I dont remember many Rueful Smiles from them when pat was giving them the glare.

jt45 writes:

in response to Bodeanvol:

Hope they leave their refs at home !

SoddyVol writes:

In post game show, the coaches seemed to indicate the reason before today they had Stricklen playing outside was so many injuries. She definitely looked good playing inside. Spani needs to fully recover.

r2d2 writes:

The LVs stayed with a consistent lineup in the second half of this game. This and the fact that GA was tired the second half were the two reason why the LVs won this game. The coaches need to stay with the lineup of Johnson, Stricklen, Spani, Simmons and Massengale.

r2d2 writes:

A postscript to my previous post. I would monitor Spani's performance with her injury and substitute Burdick in her place if she can not recover fully.

r2d2 writes:

One more comment. The telltale sign of a marginally performing team is an inconsistent starting lineup. This is the reason that I stress the need for the LVs to have a consistent starting lineup.

richvol writes:

in response to gerrybla:

Exactly...Butch hasn't been around long enough to remember the LadyVols when they were really good and well coached. He must think that this team is typical of what the LadyVols have stood for for decades now and it's certainly not this. Nineteen turnovers...nineteen. That's just sloppy.

xvolx writes:

This team keeps playing like this and they're out after the first round. Sorry coaching Holly.

AlpharettaVol writes:

I was at the game and sitting several rows behind the UT bench. I thought CPS was more involved in the huddles than I have seen her in several games. We were told there would be good days and bad days for her and maybe this game was on a good day.
The real disappointment continues to be Vicki Baugh. She insists on bringing the ball up the floor and play out on the perimeter. If this is part of the coaching plan it is a real puzzle. she threw the ball right to UGA players at least three times, twice in a position where they had breakaway baskets. When she gets the ball she looks like she doesn't have a clue what to do with it.
One of the highlights was Ariel taking the ball to the basket. This is something we haven't seen lately from the point and gives the opponent something else to worry about. For some time now they have just let her run around outsides, knowing that she would stay out there.
Is this team good enough to go deep into the tournament? That is yet to be determined but one thing is for sure. They seem to be playing with an energy that was lacking earlier in the season. Now if they can just get those three to start falling. . .

stumpyb writes:

Now I keep telling everybody if PS retires the next coach SHOULD NOT come out this staff for you see the results you have now. If PS retires we need to look outside and bring in another coach and not necessarily one with Tenn ties but someone who can recruit and coach. I will go out on a limb and say I think this is the last go round for PS and she will retire after this season. Please don't shoot me for saying that.

ps11824 writes:

"You could tell it was bothering them,'' Johnson said. "Andy tried to sub in different girls it really wasn't working. I was glad it went our way." ]]]

My goodness, GJ! First name basis? Really?

Nice road win. Turnovers still a huge malignancy.

RLL59 writes:

No one else has mentioned it, but the LV's for the first time in my memory began the game crisply passing the ball around to find the open player. The ball actually went into the post and quickly out to an unguarded player....although in the first half the posts weren't looking for their opportunity to drive or take the open shot. However, that was corrected in the second half. Had those open shots achieved by quick passing been falling in the first half, the LV would have been ahead by 10 or more. The strategy is a work in progress and it won't work perfectly overnight, but it's the only way this team can improve quickly enough to have a chance of going far into the big tournament.

Also, 3 players were on the floor for 35 minutes or more. That's encouraging as it'll build stamina and promote more cohesive teamwork.

The zone worked well in that the players moved quickly enough to help out and prevent passes toward the basket. The man to man defense was adequate as well, but GA does not take the ball to the basket, so it's difficult to judge how well they did in that defense.The Lady Vol players are good athletes, but they overguard against quicker players resulting in easy baskets.

Players will have good and bad games, and good coaches don't determine their line-ups nor playing time based on a single performance. Many posters here would like a different line-up (and different players if that were possible) each game.That's not the way championships are won.

I may be naive, but I'm encouraged by the strategy changes. Give the coaches and players credit. I hope they stick with it.

madrigal writes:

in response to xvolx:

I'm just SURE you'd do so much better! Have you submitted your resume yet?

I thought not.

in response to jt45:

Good win girls, sloppy but so was georgia.

I wondered about Kamiko, too, especially since Meighan was again shooting blanks all night. I confess I don't understand why she gets such a glaring, flashing green light when some of the others almost seem forbidden to shoot. I love Meighan's speed, spunk, and fearlessness as much as anyone, but I don't see how it helps her or the team in the long run to exercise what seems like NO control over her twitchy shooting reflex.

On the bright side, the ball control was much better in the second half and the free-throw shooting was much better than usual this year. I'm loving Stricklen on the inside. She has much more scope to use all her offensive abilities when she gets the ball in the high post area with her dribble available for her to drive the basket. She usually has much better match-ups in that position than she gets on the perimeter.

Can't say a whole lot about Bama and UGA as opponents, but two convincing road wins in a row can't hurt. Too bad both of those teams are so crippled by injuries right now; otherwise, both would have been much tougher tests for the LVs, who still need to show that they can beat GOOD teams on the road. We often moan about injuries to the LVs but we really have it pretty good compared to lots of other teams.

in response to voloffaith:

Can't be too much doubt that the LVs will MAKE the NCAA tourney, but much concern about how FAR they will go in it. I like what I have seen of the teams' quickness with the new lineups, but I'm afraid we may be getting a distorted view of that, considering how banged-up Bama and UGA are right now. It was comparatively easy for the LVs to just wear them down and blow them out in the second half.

in response to RLL59:

Some good points here. I too thought the ball movement was better overall than it has been much of the year. There also seemed to be more effort in feeding the posts. As always, the unforced turnovers, especially in the first half, were worrisome but they handled it better in the second, and maybe the ball WAS wet and slick(;-P)!

I thought the zone looked pretty good, too. At least the staff seems to have finally accepted the fact that too many of the LVs don't have the foot-speed to guard man-to-man in the open court. If they will keep working on it, they can get acceptable pressure on the outside shooters without leaving themselves so vulnerable to passes and cuts inside. With some of the long-armed and relatively quick players the LVs can put on the perimeter of a zone, they can even trap effectively out of it if they work on it.

These last two opponents provided an inadequate measuring rod to gauge the LVs progress, but there were some hopeful signs of recovery from the heart-breaker at UK and the drubbing at ND. We can all at least have hope until they lose that last one, whenever that is.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to etu_vol_fan:

Pat has a dominate personality which all good head coaches have. The three assistant coaches have a passive personality. They know basketball but do not have the ability to make the team do what needs to be done. Also the team may feel insecure when they are out on the road against a good team.

richvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Vulnerable to passes and inside cuts is an understatement. It's too bad the LadyVols can't play Notre Dame every week. Maybe they could learn how to defend and not turn the ball over on offense.

Nineteen turnovers...mostly unforced is terrible. That's 38 potential points missed out on. If they scored on only half of these possessions that's 19 points. Do you think those points could be important in a tight game against a good opponent? Apparently we don't because 19 turnovers is a common occurance with this team.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to r2d2:

True statement. A team looses its continuity on offense and defense without a consistant starting lineup. They need to get the best starting lineup out there and play them together for most of the game. They are running out of time.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The teams with a lot of talent that are at or near the top right now are the teams with the fewest injuries.

ModelMaker writes:

I think the Lady Vols are a better team with Burdick in the starting lineup. Couldn't understand why she only played 14 minutes even though she started. She is improving a lot.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to Volinflan:

I agree with you about Burdick. I think she will help the team a great deal. I couldn't understand why they only played her 14 min. It hurts the continuity of the offense and defense not playing her more.

KennyGVolsFan writes:

in response to bmaples:

Bruce in Louisville

Also a fan in Louisville!

Stricklen looked like a different player tonight! She was much faster and was getting open. Rather than just standing around hoping to get the pass and get an open shot. It was nice to finally see her working to get open looks!

I also love the man to man! They look better in a man verses the zone. However, the zone seemed much better tonight as well! I didn't see a lot of open players. They looked much better on the defensive end!

Offensively we are still missing crucial layups. Our players really need to work on creating screens and using the back door.

I must say I was impressed with the way we played in the second half. We must get better in the paint, both offensively and defensively. Didn't get to see Glory as much as I would have liked. Seemed as though the refs were all over her! She has been stopped in the last two games. She has to learn to play smarter but be aggressive at the same time.

Great Game!! Hopefully we can continue looking the way we did in the second half. It was also nice seeing Spani hit the open 3. She is a threat that we need to in order to get open posts and threes!!!

Go Lady Vols!!!

r2d2 writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

Cierra Burdick played the postion of small forward only 14 minutes because Taber Spani played the position for 21 minutes. Alicia Manning played the position for the remaining 5 minutes (40 minutes total). This was a coaching decision. I don't disagree with their decision as long as Taber is fully recovered from her injury. She is not a proficient scorer if she is playing with an injury.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to r2d2:

Everyone has there own opinion. I disagree with you. I think they should have played Burdick a lot more. I like Spani but I think Spani needs to take Simmon's place. I like the way Burdick and Spani get other people involved in the offense. Plus they are both good shots.

r2d2 writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

Actually, I do agree with you. I wanted to sound upbeat about the coaches decision to play Spani instead of Burdick. I believe the reason why they continue to play Simmons is her scoring potential. Remember, she was the LVs leading scorer last season. She averaged 13.5 ppg.

in response to r2d2:

I'm sure nearly all of us agree about Simmons' talent and potential, it is her judgment, her recent production, and what seems like her preferential treatment that some of us question. I can accept that Kamiko might not have been available to replace her some because she is still rounding into shape after knee surgery and playing major minutes in a game just two days before. But I don't even see any shaking heads on the bench after Simmons', say, sixth straight miss, five of which she probably shouldn't have taken in the first place. I don't blame HER; I liked a green light as a player, too. I blame the coaches for not doing a better job of, uh, defining her choices.

itsgolden writes:

watching uconn at duke. duke looks every bit a clone of the lady vols. lack of heart and fight, yet ranked #5. can't hit the ocean (shooting 2/21)in the last few shots.

xvolx writes:

in response to madrigal:

I'm just SURE you'd do so much better! Have you submitted your resume yet?

I thought not.

Well, yes I could. I would just turn them loose and let them play Loyola Marymount style. They've been overcoached. Play like robots. By the way, I don't really care what you think.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to itsgolden:

I watched that game as scout only. Yuck I hate both teams. Really not impressed by either team. Duke looked cold and Uconn played subpar in my opinion. Uconn had way too many turnover and ND will kill them if they don't get that corrected. There's a chance we can go up into a 2 seed if we win out and Miami loses. Still plenty of bball to play and I believe our game with Stanford was a fluke. Nkeke O will never score 42 again like that on anyone and they were just hitting on all cylinders.
The teams I still wouldn't face in the elite 8 would be ND, Uconn, and a wildcard ...Delaware. Delle Don would score 40 on us. Lol

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Yeah, Duke was unimpressive. UConn's transition game looked good at points, but a team with more than one good post is going to give them trouble, especially if they play physical. When Duke started to get physical, that was when the caused the most turnovers.

Volinflan writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

La Della Donna will/would score 40 on almost anybody, any time she wants to. Wonder really why she walked out of UCONN after one day? Maybe Mikie will tell us. I know you're out there Mikie.

Volinflan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

And I'm going to stay positive about all of the coaches decisions. I just noted that when Burdick was playing small, if that is what she was playing, the ball came to her and with her hieght and "lenght" she pumped it inside from the middle of the court. When Spani is in, the ball usually (to me it seems so don't start torching yet) the ball moves first around the outside to the left side of the court. Maybe it's just me knowing (no, no not knowing - thinking) that Taber usually shoots from the left and most coaches don't know that. And I'm not going to spend the rest of the evening making little stars on my chart to record where she acutally shoots from, I't just like a game, for fun, like this website. Just for fun. So before someone tells me that I don't know how to coach I'll tell them - there is four things in life 1) dogs 2) grandkids 3) Lady Vols Basketball and 4) this website - so dont chancre 25% of it

g-man writes:

in response to oldster:

spani's back the do nothing, big minute, pet wanna be superstar

madrigal writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

I watched the JMU-Delaware game Sunday night and I am not nearly as impressed by Delaware as you seem to be. They are basically a 2-player team, Delle Donne and one other player whose name I forget now. JMU led until the final 5 minutes, sometimes by as much as 10, but their shooting collapsed in the final stretch. On the whole I was much more impressed by the general performance of JMU. Delle Donne is good, but she's not all that and a bag of chips. Probably a good thing for her that she didn't stay at UConn....I think she realized she would have collapsed under Geno's coaching.