Cordarrelle Patterson arrives to lofty expectations

Hutchinson, Kan., Community College football player Cordarrelle Patterson answers questions from the media after signing to play football with the University of Tennessee Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012, at Stringer Fine Arts Center in Hutchinson, Kan. The sophomore wide receiver was a two-time NJCAA All-American while playing for Hutchinson Community College. (AP Photo/The Hutchinson News, Lauren Wood, Lauren Wood)

KNOXVILLE -- The waiting is over.

Part of it, at least.

Second-session summer classes begin today at the University of Tennessee, and the final three recruits from the Volunteers' 2012 signing class arrived on campus earlier this week. Freshmen Quenshaun Watson and Davante Bourque now officially enter the tailback competition.

Most of the attention, though, was elsewhere.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

voloffaith writes:

So the JUCO grades are satisfactory the 'Good Housekeeping' clearinghouse sweepstakes has no issues?

TheVolSnake writes:

Welcome Aboard and it is great having you and all the rest all in school.

WR U is now open giving lessons starting 09/01/12 vs. North Carolina State at the Georgia Dome

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I don’t know it or not but just to let you know this is the second straight year where all recruits were academically cleared. Most teams lose one or two a year that can’t clear.

MilitaryBrat writes:

It great to finally have an article about UT Sports, instead of articles about other teams.

No surprise it is from another paper.

Good luck to all the new recruits!!

GO VOLS!!

Flyfisherman writes:

in response to MilitaryBrat:

No surprise it is from another paper.

Good luck to all the new recruits!!

GO VOLS!!

Glad it's not just me...Seems like the Chattanooga paper has better written, more balanced UT articles then KNS.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Flyfisherman:

Maybe KNS should layoff some of the trolls/plants that show up here day after day to increase hit count. Then they could hire some qualified journalists to report positive news on the Vols.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to MilitaryBrat:

No surprise it is from another paper.

Good luck to all the new recruits!!

GO VOLS!!

I 100% agree with you and 76.

I had posted this before but here is something that could be done to increase viewer’s interests. I don’t mind some articles on other teams news (that we will be playing this year) or if something happened that effects the team.

The issue I and I think a lot of viewers have is bad things are covered over and over and good thing rarely or not at all.

Here are some much better items to cover than same articles or bad news articles.

The site has not covered any of the committed recruits over the last two weeks. I guess our future QB and OL is not that important to KNS? Sorry I don't count Paid sites (Vol 247) as being covered.

We had several camps over the last month and not one covered.

Commissioners meeting (what impacts can be expected for the Vols?)

The death of the mother of one of our players.

How about a player profile once every two days? We have a lot of great players that the Vol Nation would like to know about.

How about a Coach’s corner where each Coach buts and a short paragraph once a week of the status of the Vols, or anything they want to bring up. (For example Jay G. could talk about the running backs and what they are doing to improve, when a running back recruit is committed how that player MAY fit into the program)

There is a lot more items that could and should be covered; I completely understand neutral journalism and the need to point out positives as well as negatives. But it appears to me that KNS wants to cover the Bad much more than the good.

voloffaith writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Nice birthday present for Frank Robinson and myself would be a V over wolfpack!! So again I'm not reading in anymore than what article says.....Is he cleared or still awaiting final notice from nC2A?

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Thanks for some reason I didn't update the schedule change.

drwut70 writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

I agree with you BOF76. What I want to know is why the he11 is David Climer put on here so much. I grew up in Nashville During the 50s and 60s and lived in Smyrna during the late 70s. He has always been in the tank for candy vandy and always will be. He never passes up a chance to snidely comment on the VOLS with innuendo and implication. He is really as much of a troll as the trolls.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to Enrico_Palazzo:

KNS makes money off advertisement it you notice there is 5 spots for ad’s on every thread and all have someone doing some type of advertisement, so while yes it is a free site they (KNS) gets money for this site.

So wouldn’t it make more since to write great articles to increase viewers, therefore they could charge or make more of the advertisement’s, case in point Yahoo is a free site but makes a ton of money because of the advertisement’s.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Well put VolSnake. I live in the Chatt. area and even with some onslaught of Bamarama or Georgiamania, the Vols get their due from TFP writers. It is a shame the KNS doesn't get that. I would be embarrassed at all the junk they not only put out there but keep putting out there on the Volunteers. But then, I neither make the calls up there nor do I have to pay the people who come up with the blather.
This looks to be a good year for the football team....that is as long as everyone keeps in mind where they have been the past few years and not compare them with the top teams we had quite a while back. So let's strap on our symbolic head gear and get ready to rumble on Rocky Top. July just arrived and August is just around the corner. GO BIG ORANGE!

TheVolSnake writes:

An example of a recruit profile that would bring a lot of interest in my option:

The Newly committed QB for the Vols future: Qualified for the Elite 11 finals and will be going against 25 other quarterbacks in July to compete in the Elite 11 finals.

Riley Ferguson Ht: 6-2 Wt: 190 3 Star Scouts rated as 19 best QB, 4 Star and in top 300 ESPN and rated as the 12th best QB.

Write up from Scouts says: Ferguson is a gun-slinger back there at quarterback. He is a signal caller that really trusts his arm and believes he can make any throw. He can force balls at times, but he gets balls into many tight windows as well. He throws the ball good outside the pocket, he has good mobility, and he keeps plays alive when they breakdown. Consistency is where he needs to improve. He is a streaky passer with an above average arm. - Chad Simmons

In 2011 Ferguson had: 3,343 passing yards and 53 touchdowns

We (could insert KNS, VolExtra or other here) wish Riley Ferguson luck and our support in the Elite 11 finals and know you will do great.

This was just an example that took less than 20 min’s to write.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to Enrico_Palazzo:

I don't know why any Vol fan would pay to read anything by Wes Rucker. I tried listening two him when he had a radio show. I couldn't count the times he went out of his to say he was not a Vol fan. Perhaps that was an effort to endear himself to John Adams. Oh yeah, hard to trust anyone who talks that much about European socker.

The biggest question about a big, fast, physically-imposing young receiver is whether or not he has learned to run disciplined routes. Guys like this find it easy early in their careers to dominate with their physical gifts, so they are not always as intent on learning the subtleties that make the difference between a good receiver and a great one. The other side of the coin concerns Bray's ability to read routes and coverages and deliver the ball where it needs to be. If both of these concerns can be answered in the affirmative, the Vols should light up some scoreboards this season.

in response to lemme_axya_this:

It's funny, but when Rucker was writing for the Chattanooga paper, I thought he was an excellent reporter. Since he has become a full-time tweeter/blogger, he seems to have gone completely snarky and negative. Maybe the KNS people, or somebody, have convinced him that the way to hit the big time these days is to be as provocative as possible. Bad move, Wes. That is precisely why people have so much more contempt than they used to for "journalists" these days.

voloffaith writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Isn't also sweet what Sir Wes usually tweets...lately they have had a more caustic/vulgar influx....thinking back to some of my former self-absorbed days he is a reflection of an individual that thinks(apparently) more of himself than he should....tweets from him and another lately been poor journalistically with more street talk...

Anyway still waiting on an educated answer about Patterson's eligibility....

GONAVY writes:

in response to drwut70:

Climer is not a Vanderbilt sympathizer, nor has he ever been in Vanderbilt's "camp". He constantly takes shots at Vanderbilt. I consider him an equal opportunity offender. Also, get a new catch phrase other than "candy vandy". It was cute for a while.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Anyway still waiting on an educated answer about Patterson's eligibility....

On Patterson's eligibility I am about 99% sure he is not NCAA cleared to play yet but cleared to enroll the reason I say this is he completed classes (finals) just the other day and transcripts have to be forward for final clearance.

gc_scvol writes:

Another well written article by Mr. Brown. The knoxville media could do this if they tried, but, for some reason they have issues with OUR coach. Coach Dooley will be successful and will be here for a long time. So you Dooley bashers and other assorted trolls need to just prepare to be miserable for a long time to come. The issues that the Knox. media types have with CDD should not stand in the way of their journalistic responsibility, but unfortunately it does. GBO VFL

jack4444 writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

Patterson graduated from an accredited junior college. He's in period.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

I could be wrong but I think a few years ago over some Negative and articles that told other teams our game plan caused KNS to be banned from the practice field, they were also restricted from talking to players. I don’t know if this was ever lifted but regardless the poor reporting/close to bashing started before Dooley and has continued. If I remember correctly it was Kiffen that threw them out of practice but again I could be wrong. I remember this from the radio station when I was going to post just don’t remember the time frame.

I 100% agree good journalists report facts Good or Bad.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

The Chief said Patterson was the best wide receiver prospect he had ever seen. Thats a good enough endorsement for me. The competition in practice should reach a fever pitch by the fall.

clvolfan writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Yes,and this should be the most positive year we Vols fans have had for some time.

voloffaith writes:

in response to jack4444:

Patterson graduated from an accredited junior college. He's in period.

You put all your chips in on that? 100% sure? Completed classes and graduated are not the same. Not being "Snarky" just want to know that we can really get excited by the possibilities this fall as opposed to waiting on nc2A clearinghouse drama.....

TommyJack writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

BOF: Post of the decade.

martinvol34 writes:

Cleared is cleared. Great comments people and am I the only one (big Dooley fan here) that "thinks" positive positioning can still be done and manage expectations at the same time? Sometimes his attempts to filter expectations with his comments tire me out.

luvmatersoup writes:

I think this is great news but we have to not forget about our running game. In the SEC, throwing wins football games and running the ball wins an SEC championship. I have to admit though, watching a throwing team is more fun. Anyay, good luck to you young men, remember to eat your tomato soup and most of all....go VOLS!

VolGrad writes:

As iron sharpens iron....

Go Vols! Beat the Pack!!!

jimr07 writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

I 100% agree with you and 76.

We had several camps over the last month and not one covered.

Commissioners meeting (what impacts can be expected for the Vols?)

The death of the mother of one of our players.

But your suggestions might put a positive light on the Vols and KNS can't have that.. Knoxville, TN.. the largest city in the U.S. without a daily newspaper.

DonK37920 writes:

I'm just as excited to see him in the KO return as receiver. If we go 2 deep with Patterson and Young on the return, it's pick your poison for our opponents. Even if he needs a year to fully adjust as a receiver, he should be able to step in immediately as the KO returner.
Also, we now have 2 receivers that have the size and speed to run a reverse. With him and DaRick lined up opposite each other, we could run a reverse from either direction.
With our long long history of successful JUCO players,here's hoping we've found the next great one.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

CP will live up to the hype and wow the SEC this season..GBO!!

DonK37920 writes:

in response to martinvol34:

I think Dooley had the right to filter expectations in his first two years. We were basically in the same boat as team coming off probation when he took over. Everyone said we would need 3 years with the attrition to the roster and lack of depth. Now that it's year 3, I think the "filtered expectations" are getting a little old. Time to put up or shut up and get out!

voloffaith writes:

in response to DonK37920:

A gator fan makes his mind known....chawmp...chawmp...some might wonder about the spelling..that's what it sounds like without his dentures...... Artilce on JUCO wr and we get some chawmping on the coach.....

TheVolSnake writes:

Top three Vol’s Wide Receiver’s information:

D. Rodgers a 6'3", 215 pounds, underrated speed and is about as competitive as they come. His sophomore season, hauling in 67 passes for 1,040 yards and nine touchdowns, when Hunter went down with his ACL opposing teams were able to double team D. Rodgers, so with Hunter back and teams unable to double team D. Rodgers expect a bigger season from D. Rodgers, to add into his motivation of having a great season is he will more than likely declare for the NFL draft. Rumor is he has trimmed down and increased speed and is almost impossible to cover one on one. If he declares for the draft analysts have him predicted 1st or early 2nd pick.

J. Hunter a 6-4, 200-pound big-play wide out with 4.4 speed, and his highlight reel is filled with deep touchdown catches was lost for the year in mid-September with a torn ACL. On 17 catches in 2 games and 1 play had 314 yards and 2 TDs, for his career (1 year and 2 games)so far has 33 catches and 729 yards, 9 TD’s and is averaging a gaudy 22 yards per reception. Vols coaches breathed a big sigh after watching Hunter score on a 50-yard TD reception on the first possession of the second spring scrimmage last month. Hunter is a spectacular talent: he has been timed at 4.42 electronically, has broad-jumped over 11 feet, and vertical jumped 41.5 inches. As a track athlete he has high jumped 7-3 and long jumped more than 26 feet.

C. Patterson a 6-foot-4, 215-pounder, the blue-chip receiver from Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, Patterson proved his physical talents with Hutchinson's track team this spring, recording a 10.33-second 100-meter dash time and a long jump of nearly 22 feet. In football last fall, he ran for 390 yards and six touchdowns on 32 carries, caught 61 passes for 924 yards and 15 scores and averaged 51 yards on 10 kickoff returns with three touchdowns. The sophomore wide receiver was a two-time NJCAA All-American while playing for Hutchinson Community College. Scouts write up on him: A big, strong target who is a mismatch waiting to happen on the outside because of his ability to go over smaller receivers, Patterson has prototype size and leaping ability. He's a bully on the outside, and that's meant in a good way. He attacks defensive backs with the ball in his hands, and with his long strides, he's deceptively fast. His size and skill make him a difficult cover

TheVolSnake writes:

Next three Vol’s Wide Receiver’s:

Pig Howard 5-10, 175 4.4 speed (some say a bit faster) Talented WR prospect who finished his junior season with 546 rushing yards and 1146 receiving and 23 Touchdowns (don’t have is senior stats) will more than likely be a slot back and a kick return man. What Howard may lack in size, he more than makes up for in playmaking ability, speed and explosiveness. He is a human spark plug and what we love about him is that he is a tough guy that plays big and physical. He is a hybrid running back/slot receiver, there is a rumor that he may spend some time as tailback this year. I see that he will make his name this year as a return man and will be the explosive return man we need.

J. Crooms at 6-5 and 233 is a real weapon to contend with: Croom’s is a real weapon at wide receiver. He could be used there or in a hybrid role in college. He has very good size, he is athletic, he is tough to jam at the line of scrimmage, and he can be a real weapon inside the red zone. He still needs to work on exploding off the line, being more explosive out of his cuts, and running more crisp routes. Overall, he is an offensive weapon with versatility. Croom’s is a big, physical wide receiver that could end up developing into an H-back/tight end. He is an imposing prospect out wide with terrific measurable and a thick, sturdy build at this stage. He is physical and athletic with his size I think he could become a TE this year or could be used in the two TE sets at the Goal line.

D. Bowles 6-1, 205 Is a really good football player that is savvy, strong, well built and very productive. Bowles' ability level is not in question. He is thickly built, similar to Dez Bryant out of high school. He is fast and explodes out of the cuts, not afraid to catch in traffic and has great hands.

DonK37920 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Brother, how you get that I'm a gator fan by responding to a question raised by a fellow Vol fan on this board is beyond me? It's okay for fans to raise questions and be critical of the team after the last few years. I didn't say lets fire Dooley now. I simply agreed that his time of "filtering expectations" has run out.
You can't simply label everyone as a Gator fan who says something other than we will go undefeated and win a NC this year and every year from now on. I guess it could have been worse and you could have called me a Bama fan.

PUL4VOLS writes:

The WR department looks fantastic but as someone posted earlier we will still need to run the ball and pound it some down a few throats. I hope we achieve the needed balance to scare the badoozies out of a lot of SEC foes. We are building and will be on the upswing come Aug. 31st. GO VOLS, let's get that 8 or 9 win season we need.

DCHess writes:

in response to drwut70:

Climer went to MTSU. Most Raider alumni hate Vandy much more than UT because they are elitist snobs. Trust me - Climer likes them as far as he can throw them.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

Welcome Aboard and it is great having you and all the rest all in school.

Good post except you have the dates and the teams wrong.

You ut fans really know your football.

Enjoy Clemson vs Auburn.

Thanks for the laugh.

voloffaith writes:

in response to DonK37920:

Apologies coming forth....there is a gator trollodyte that also uses Don in his postings...now that eye ponder more he is probably Don C....short for for Don Corleon(SP)....anyway sorry...not all have to drink the Kool-aid to post ya know...

SevenT writes:

Hunter blew out his knee, he most likely will not be anywhere near the player he was prior to injury.

Duh-Rick is a lazy head case who plays hard when he feels like it.

This JUCO is just that a JUCO who has never seen SEC speed before.

Bray has had moments of glory but has never shown an ounce of character or leadership.

There is NOTHING to get excited about next season.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Just want to say in reference to the above comments, you guys posted some pretty good opinions, and all were pretty positive. Right up to the last one of course. A troll if I'm not mistaken.

VolSnake.........thanks for your great research and the informative comments. John lg, as usual yours were on target.

Yes, this was a nice topic and very well responded to........trolls must be on vacation except for the OleMissoftheEast troll.

It's getting closer to "Football time in Tennessee !"

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to SevenT:

Duh-Rick is a lazy head case who plays hard when he feels like it.

This JUCO is just that a JUCO who has never seen SEC speed before.

There is NOTHING to get excited about next season.

You do realize that the Kat’s receivers are listed as close to last in the SEC by Athlon don’t you? I would be more worried about what you have verses putting ours down.

# 13 of 14. Kentucky

Finding personnel who can make big plays is a must for the Wildcats in 2012, considering they finished last in the nation in plays of 20 yards or more a year ago. Senior La’Rod King will be the top target and the most dependable one after a 40-598-7 line last fall. But names like sophomore Demarco Robinson and freshman Daryl Collins need to step into bigger roles if Joker Phillips’ offense is going to improve. Phillips also wants and expects to see more from his tight ends as Ronnie Shields and Anthony Kendrick provide some athleticism. Tyler Robinson will play plenty as well, but is closer to an offensive lineman than pass-catcher.

By the way Gators you are at #11.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Enrico_Palazzo:

EP I think most will agree with you but there has never really been a thing call FREE. It was always paid for by Ad's etc. The problem is as Sammy Davis Jr once said Greed and Green both start with a "G". It appears that there is no such thing as uncontrolled Press coverage so, so scream like H... or take what you get.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I believe Frank is cleared. AS for your Birthday Present. It is already wrapped.
Vols 28 NCS 14.
Go Vols

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Just beat NCSU.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Rockytop,

Well said. I forgot to add you to my list of knowledgeable Vol fans. Always good hearing from you.

We are stocking up on gunslingers and receivers.......good things are on the way.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to SevenT:

Duh-Rick is a lazy head case who plays hard when he feels like it.

This JUCO is just that a JUCO who has never seen SEC speed before.

There is NOTHING to get excited about next season.

My! My! Aren't we postive.

OrangePsyched writes:

This will be the most explosive offense that we have had since the Manning era. This will get us a lot of offensive recruits during the year. If our D takes to the 3-4 and yes I know we will be multiple but the 3-4 will be our primary then I won't concede any game this year. I will go into every game expecting the Vols to finish on top. Let's start testing those air raid sirens.