Mike Strange: Bruce Pearl's crew landed on their feet

Mike Strange

ALCOA — They're in college basketball's version of solitary confinement. But they're not marking off the days on the cell-block wall.

In fact, they're doing their time in style.

Bruce Pearl was back in a gym Thursday, his enthusiasm radiating to 100 campers.

The gym was at Alcoa High School. Pearl's host was the Alcoa boys' coach, Tony Jones.

Are you going to coach again, I asked Pearl?

"I am coaching,'' Pearl shot back.

"I've got a sales managers meeting next week and I'm gonna be coaching.''

Pearl and his staff were dismissed at Tennessee in March 2011 in the wake of an NCAA investigation. Then the NCAA hit them with a show-cause sanction for not being forthcoming during the investigation.

A show-cause is essentially a ban from coaching at an NCAA school. Pearl got three years. His assistants, Jones, Steve Forbes and Jason Shay, got one year each.

Forbes landed a head-coaching gig at a top-rung junior college, Northwest Florida. He hired Shay. They went 30-2 and lost in the national juco tournament championship game.

Jones took the Alcoa job, won 30 games and coached the Tornadoes to the semifinals of the state tournament. He was our PrepXtra Coach of the Year.

The assistants' show-

cause expires Aug. 22. Forbes has had offers to return to the big leagues but apparently will stick with a good program and an appealing Gulf-side lifestyle at Northwest Florida for at least another year.

Jones had longed to captain his own ship. He had mid-major feelers (as an assistant) but plans to be back at Alcoa.

"They've given me everything I asked for,'' he said. "I could see myself being here for years to come.''

What about Pearl? His penalty has two years to run yet.

"I have a full-time job,'' he said.

That would be coaching in the business world.

Pearl is vice president of marketing at H.T. Hackney Company, a wholesale grocery owned by UT booster Bill Sansom.

It wasn't a gratuitous hire. Pearl was a marketing major at Boston College. His promotional skills were as instrumental as his coaching acumen in resurrecting UT's program.

Pearl says he's all-in with Hackney. The position allowed him to stay in Knoxville, which is still home to his four children.

Hackney also allows Pearl to pursue media opportunities. He's been doing radio and hopes to join ESPN for the coming season. Nothing official yet.

"I want to see if I'm any good at calling games and being in studio,'' he said. "I want to see if the lifestyle fits and the travel is OK. I want to see if it fits with what I'm doing with Hackney.''

And if it does all fit, if it's enough, Pearl might not feel compelled to return to the bench.

"Coaching was just part of what I did at Tennessee,'' Pearl said. "I don't want to be defined by my won-loss record. (His won-loss record, by the way, was outstanding.)

"I don't know that I want coaching to continue to decide where is home. This is home.''

Knoxville, he means. But not Thompson-Boling Arena. That's Cuonzo Martin's home now. Pearl expresses admiration for his successor as a role model and a coach.

"We have a good relationship,'' Pearl said.

"I'm proud to be the former coach at the University of Tennessee. But I thought it was very important I kept my distance.''

He's got two more years to keep his distance from any job that requires NCAA approval — should he, in the end, want one. The bet here is he will get the chance.

Jones, Forbes and Shay, meanwhile, measure their time in weeks.

It would be unfair to minimize the hits the NCAA ordeal administered to their paychecks or to their career tracks.

But each in his own way landed on his feet. There has been life after Tennessee.

Mike Strange may be reached at strangem@knoxnews.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/strangemike44 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/strange

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ironcity writes:

I wish all of them the best. They bought basketball back to Tennessee and for that I will always be grateful.

born2ride writes:

This article is wrong about Pearl's assistants.

Forbes went from a $200k a year job to $60k.

Shaw went from $150k to $20k.

TJ is now coaching at a High School.

Meanwhile Bruce Pearl got a $1 million buyout and a cushy new job. (And Hackney did not hire Pearl because he has a marketing degree.) Pearl may have a future in TV and could return to coaching in 3 years.

Pearl landed on his feet, his assistants got screwed.

born2ride writes:

It was Jason Shay not Shaw. :)

miatatom writes:

It still hurts to think about it. Sure teaches a lesson though, doesn't it?

eduardo writes:

Only at TN could anything like this happen!!

Ironcity writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Yes that was an ironic mistake. I loved coach Pearl and I really like coach Martin. Its nice to look forward to the basketball season every year.

The1 writes:

Well, I hope Martin does well, but i suspect Pearl and company will step right back into where they left off once the show cause date passes for Pearl. Martin, good luck and you have two seasons to prove yourself. Looks like you are off to good start.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to born2ride:

This article is wrong about Pearl's assistants.

Forbes went from a $200k a year job to $60k.

Shaw went from $150k to $20k.

TJ is now coaching at a High School.

Pearl landed on his feet, his assistants got screwed.

I'm not saying you're wrong? But Pearl was the HEAD coach. Therefore he should have been paid more. It's hard on assts. making so little.lol Most people never see their type salaries ever. But I agree it's hard to take pay cuts anytime for anyone. Hopefully they were smart and put some back for a rainy day.

All in all I think things are looking ok so far for our former "VFLs"! They'll suceed I think and all will be offered college and University positions eventually. Pearl?? He may have to start back at a lower tier school. I don't predict a school like UT but I suppose it's within reason. He certainly can "promote". Some call it coaching.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to eduardo:

Only at TN could anything like this happen!!

???

tennrich1 writes:

in response to born2ride:

This article is wrong about Pearl's assistants.

Forbes went from a $200k a year job to $60k.

Shaw went from $150k to $20k.

TJ is now coaching at a High School.

Pearl landed on his feet, his assistants got screwed.

One simple fact left out that probably makes all these points moot...BRUCE PEARL WAS THE HEAD COACH...after the fall each man is responsible for himself...We ALL must take the consequences of our actions and our associates...Bruce just knew how to land on his feet better....same characteristics that made him a great coach...and I too thank BP for bringing back UT basketball...

tennrich1 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Oh, sorry. I just now saw your point same as mind....but I agree...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to born2ride:

This article is wrong about Pearl's assistants.

Forbes went from a $200k a year job to $60k.

Shaw went from $150k to $20k.

TJ is now coaching at a High School.

Pearl landed on his feet, his assistants got screwed.

And??

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Bruce Pearl was (while at UT) the best BB coach to ever coach here..I know Mears had some good years and DeVoe was decent at times, but none of them had UT playing with as much grit and determination. BP also transcended the HC position with flare and excitement(put UT BB on the map). BP, you will always be the man..

underthehill writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Give credit where and when credit is due..ironcity has it right ..Pearl did bring basketball back to UT..I like Martin more than I did Pearl but I am most likely in the minority on this..but like ironcity says..I am grateful for Pearl's time at UT..and his record stands regardless of his poor judgement in dealing with the most rightous NCAA folks...how can any reasonable person question the things Cal has done are worse...

SevenT writes:

I always thought slimy sweaty lying Bruce Pearl was a perfect match for the most crooked athletic program in the SEC.

underthehill writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

His record would indicate you have reason to make the judgements you stated..However..I do like Martin and the way he is going about his business w/o all the sideshow stuff and I do not believe UT will have as many players leaving because of drugs as there were when Pearl was coach..not sure how many there was but it was a bunch...

underthehill writes:

in response to SevenT:

To begin your comment with ..I always thought..appears to be reason to question anything you say after that..I have not seen any evidence you are capable of such a complicated activity...would you please prove me wrong sometime...

BRUCEpart2 writes:

CBP is, and always will be, a "class act". His support of CCM and the Tennessee program, all the while maintaining a "safe distance", is testament to that fact. I remember playing golf @ Gettysview the day before it was announced that he & his staff had been fired. As my group of friends passed his home while playing the par 4 behind it, he and Brandy were out back by their pool, and in typical CBP form, he waved & acknowledged us, then came over to the fence to chat us up while we were waiting for the green to clear ahead of us. He assured us that all would be well with not only himself, but also the UT program no matter what became of his troubles. I only found out later, that he was already aware of his fate when we spoke that day, but as always, he remained upbeat, positive and classy even when things were the absolute darkest for him. I wish him well in ALL his endeavors no matter where they lead him...but unequivocally, I'm sure glad he chose to stay here in Tennessee and call Knoxville "home".

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to underthehill:

I agree coach Martin will be a great coach in his own right, but this article isn't about him or his future..It was clearly about BP and his staff landing on their feet..Since we strayed off topic a tad, I am anticipating great things this year from the men's bb team. CCM should qualify for the tourney and challenge for the SEC East..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BRUCEpart2:

Spot on and thumbs way up!

TeamXer writes:

in response to SevenT:

Pearl got hired by Bama?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

Yeah, from Adolph CorRUPPt to the squid, tucky has always been one of the most trustworthy recruiting programs in the country, NOT!!..We won't mention they were a completely racist organization during the Bryant and Rupp years, congrats.

drone#208075 writes:

I want.........I want.....I want.........

CoverOrange writes:

in response to DeaconBooze:

No HC that has gotten the show-cause penalty has made it back to major college coaching and only one assistant has at a much lower level. Right or wrong, BP has been blackballed twice, once covertly and now overtly. No one will hire him at a major college and junior colleges won't pay enough.

manniesghost1903 writes:

in response to SevenT:

With a comment like that I have to assume your bedroom walls are covered with swastikas and pictures of Adoph Hitler and his crew.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to eduardo:

Only at TN could anything like this happen!!

You must not get out much if you really think that.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Enrico_Palazzo:

I can't defend Bear Bryant because he made the statement he would never start a black QB..The ironic part is Walter Lewis was his final QB and he happened to be AA. UT on the other hand broke the color barrier in SEC and played the first black athletes against all white schools in the South (that would include Bama).

NYvolFan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Want to put some $$$ on that last comment? I'd be happy to take your money!

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

I like Pearl and his staff; I wish them well. I also hope CCM is here for a long time, and the Big Orange win lots of championships.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

It's two years in human time but in Cal time it's 0 years since both years will be vacated.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to DeaconBooze:

BP has two things going for him, his violation involved neither money nor academics which can't be said about other show-cause sentences, so in that respect he may indeed to return. The fact that he spent 18 years toiling in obscurity over the Illinois issue makes me think otherwise. Don't get me wrong, if someone did hire him they would get a great coach but they would also get the eye of the NCAA on them.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

Want to put some $$$ on that last comment? I'd be happy to take your money!

I just got back from three days in Vegas, I'm tapped out. Still, odds are...

VolzsFan writes:

Tenn was a dead program considered a coaching graveyard. BP took them to success they never dreamed of, had top 5 attendance, made tons of cash and was on the verge of epic success. Hammy did not know how to manage Ernie Grunfeld's hire and things went bad. Bit any idiot that says he is not only the most successful coach in UT history or put UT on the basketball map (not reserected but created), is just an idiot.

Many of you are the same that do not get the fact that UT had the schools most successful basketball, football and baseball coaches on campus at the same time and Hammy blew it.

Baseball and basketball where a joke prior to Rod and Bruce. Football was that mediocre program with a big stadium. Phil made them one of the true elite.

Never forget the obvious.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I just got back from three days in Vegas, I'm tapped out. Still, odds are...

You lose Cover Orange.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Never forget the obvious.

Alright, I've heard enough..UT has had a terrific FB program for 70+ years and that would include the likes of Gen. Neyland, Bowden Wyatt, Doug Dickey and Johnny Majors' before Fulmer ever took the reins..Phillip continued it for a good run, but he could also be blamed for allowing it to slip to the level it is currently in..

Colliervol writes:

in response to SevenT:

More than a tad hypocritical for a Kentucky fan to use the terms "slimy" and "lying" or to call any program "crooked" when one has Coach Asterisk at the helm. The Big Blue fan base and administration is so bereft of ethics that I am fairly certain that, when Joker Phillips is fired at the end of this season, Barnhart's first call will be to Bobby Petrino.

Ever wonder why Kentucky didn't get the plaudits that a national champion normally receives and got a lot of snickers, rolled eyes and anger directed at them? That's because 99.9% of the buying sports public recognizes a scam when they see it. And most folks that I know find it difficult to support a scam. I find it so objectionable that I didn't even watch the game. Not worth my time to watch something so illegitimate.

TheGVXKing writes:

in response to born2ride:

This article is wrong about Pearl's assistants.

Forbes went from a $200k a year job to $60k.

Shaw went from $150k to $20k.

TJ is now coaching at a High School.

Pearl landed on his feet, his assistants got screwed.

Man dude, you just can't agree with anybody can you? That's a hell of a way to go through life.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

You lose Cover Orange.

And your source is your magic 8 ball? Or did you read that in today's astrology report. Since we are still two years out from anything possibly happening, I am just as right and wrong as you.

UT4prez writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I'm with you 100% on the expectations for next year. Compete for the SEC and make the tourney. I think a lot of people will be talking about final 4 and that's just nonsense. Once in the tourney anything can happen but to expect a deep run is ludicrous. Just get in and play hard. I get the feeling we will finally be one of those teams people don't want in their bracket because of our tenacious D and I love it!

UT4prez writes:

in response to BRUCEpart2:

Thank you for that excellent post. I would have given anything to have been a student during the Pearl years. I was there during the Green years which did have some fun times but nothing like Pearl. I will always appreciate what he has done and I wish him the best although he will be just fine without my well wishes. Now go Cuonzo! Keep the train moving!

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Let me get this straight.
1. You think Bruce was the best men’s basketball coach ever at the Hill.
2. Fulmer is the reason our football team won only 1 game in the SEC last year.
I won’t recite the all the facts that totally refute your assertions but ever heard of
1. Ray Mears
2. Mike Hamilton hiring Lane Kiffen
Bruce out coached Cheating ‘Cal but got schooled by Izzo. Never, ever can be forgiven for lying to the NCAA. Mike Hamilton legacy. BTW, remember Mikey cutting the legs out of him and the team prior to experiencing the humiliation in the 1st round? I’ll never forget.
Football program is in current state not because of the coach that won the 1st BCS championship, but the debacle of Lame. CDD accepted an impossible position because he was the only one who would.
Not a Phil lover, but he replaced a dysfunctional Johnny Jack, recruited Peyton, gave Chief and Cut leadership roles and was a winner. How do you shoot him for our current state?

UT4prez writes:

4ever, no shame in losing that game to Mich St. Izzo is clearly one of the greatest tournament coaches of all time. UT played a great game and lost at the very end. I hardly believe Pearl was schooled. That sure was a fun run, especially beating Ohio St. I do agree Fulmer is not solely to blame but he has played a part in our demise. Bear can certainly speak for himself but from reading many of his other posts I don't believe he lays the blame solely at the feet of Fulmer.

OwensboroVol writes:

The fact that Bruce and his assistants received Show Cause punishments and Lane Kiffin received nothing shows how corrupt the NCAA is. If this thing had been fair, Kiffin would have received at least punishments equal to Pearl and probably should have received punishments in excess to what Pearl received. The fact is Pat Hayden and USC went to the NCAA and told them they better not and the NCAA caved. The Tennessee delegation was shaking in their shoes and done no telling what to try to keep the Big Bad NCAA from spanking them to much.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Dear Alabama, Penn State, North Carolina, UCLA, Kentucky etc., TnManTravel has an issue with you mentioning Bear, Joe Pa, Dean, John and Adolph. Please refrain as you are offending him.

He only wants to hear about the 500 coaches in place at UT and the hoops coach that is the only coach in the SEC to never coach an NCAA Tournament game. He wants to live in the future. Those of you living in the past are starting to irritate him.

Bobby Bowden
Former Football Coach

VolzsFan writes:

in response to UT4prez:

Blame Ben Franklin when your power goes out? Blame the Wright Brothers when your plane is delayed? Blame the Hall of Famer who built UT football to unprecedented heights? The man that had more success than any before him. The man that showed UT could be a football program that could be more than a school with just a big stadium.

The program's demise is on Hammy and Layne. Layne ran off 44 players. That is what killed the program. That and you do not have a man that can go to other states and actually get players other schools want. The Hall of Famer showed the way. Is a one of a kind. 20 years from now when you are telling the grandkids about the days when the stadium was packed with 107K, TV for everygame, GameDay Crew in town, a roster full of future NFL Hall of Famers and winning 10 or more games (in a day of the 11 game schedule) 9 out of 15 years........you will remember what we had and the destruction Hammy made to this and all UT programs.

Enjoy the change.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

Let me get this straight.
1. You think Bruce was the best men’s basketball coach ever at the Hill.
2. Fulmer is the reason our football team won only 1 game in the SEC last year.
1. Ray Mears
2. Mike Hamilton hiring Lane Kiffen

You didn't read my post, I said could take blame for his part in not replacing Cutcliffe with qualified personnel..UT/Fulmer went the cheap route with Sanders/Clawson and in my opinion started the slide and cost CPF his job..So, unless UT would have cleaned house and gutted the coaching staff (again) and hired competent coaches/recruiters. UT's fate would have been about the same.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Good for all of them. Bruce will always be a winner no matter what he does. I bet there's a bunch of Tennessee high schools that wish he would coach them.

Go Vols!

redskinvol1 writes:

Bruce was and always will be the best!

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to SevenT:

The only person who could repsond the way you did is a Bammer supporter.

The Log in Your eye has you not seeing the relative tiny size of the splinter in UT's eye.

You have to be kidding wiht that comment. Wnat a doofus statement...