Cuonzo Martin working under contract; salary figures same as MOU

The contract is done, the deal remains the same.

Having worked more than 15 months under the terms of a Memorandum of Understanding, Tennessee men's basketball coach Cuonzo Martin is now working with a contract.

The 22-page contract, released by the university on Monday, includes the same collective salary of $1.3 million laid out in Martin's original MOU.

Martin said Monday that he signed the four-year contract that runs through the 2015-16 season on June 27. He said the "biggest delay" was the extenuating circumstances surrounding his hiring. Athletic director Mike Hamilton, who hired Martin in March 2011, was replaced by current AD Dave Hart before the beginning of Tennessee's 2011-12 season.

"It wasn't the case where I had a month in August or September (of 2011) to say let's hammer this thing down," Martin said. "I was just constantly going and going. Then Dave, out of respect for our program, allowed me to go through a season (on the MOU)."

Martin's $1.3 million annual contract includes a $325,000 base salary, $425,000 for broadcast responsibilities, $325,000 for shoe and apparel contracts, and $325,000 for endorsements.

Picked to finish 11th in the SEC with a depleted roster and the surrounding fog of an NCAA scandal, Martin led the Vols to a 19-15 record and a third-place tie in the SEC as UT's first-year coach. The midseason coup of adding five-star recruit Jarnell Stokes made national headlines.

Martin is represented by Indianapolis-based agent Andrew "Buddy" Baker, a former classmate of his at Purdue.

Martin left Missouri State for Tennessee following the 2010-11 season. He was one year into a five-year contract paying a base of $140,000 per season (total package worth $300,000 per year) before the Vols came calling.

According to Martin's contract, Tennessee paid $200,000 to buyout his Missouri State contract.

It won't be that cheap if another school wants to poach him again.

Martin's UT deal stipulates a $2.6 million buyout if he accepts an outside job offer before March 31, 2014, and a $1.3 million buyout over the final two years of the deal.

If Martin is fired by Tennessee without cause, he'll receive 60 percent of his full $1.3 million salary ($780,000) in each remaining year of the deal.

If Martin is fired with cause, he receives nothing.

Martin's contract also includes access to two loaned vehicles, $25,000 in moving costs, complimentary tickets to men's and women's basketball as well as four skybox tickets for football home games in addition to six season tickets, a $2 million life insurance policy and performance bonuses.

Similarly to his salary structure, Martin's bonus package went unchanged in the transition from MOU to contract. Incentives include both on-the-court performance, such as $50,000 for an NCAA tournament berth and $100,000 for winning the SEC regular-season title, and academic bonuses, such as $50,000 if the team scores 930 or higher in its Academic Progress Rate and $25,000 for a team cumulative GPA over 2.75.

Three SEC men's basketball coaches — LSU's Johnny Jones ($1.1 million), Mississippi State's Rick Ray ($1 million) and Texas A&M's Billy Kennedy ($1 million) — earn less than Martin's $1.3 million annual salary.

Including his three seasons as Missouri State coach, Martin has a career record of 80-63.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

We have a loaded state for the 13' class. Our recruiting restrictions are over. Cuonzo needs to go get a couple of these guys and I think he's set on a great career here. Look forward to this years team. If we stay injury free I think we could have a sweet 16 team.

keepitreal4vols writes:

"Martin led the Vols to a 19-15 record and a third-place tie in the SEC as UT's first-year coach"
We finished tied for 2nd and got the 2 seed. Oh well, I shouldn't expect accuracy from KNS.

kyvol98 writes:

Last second edit by JA?

MikeInTN writes:

Stokes was a great get...Coach needs to CONSISTENTLY get that kind of talent in order to win championships in the SEC. I think everyone knows KY will reload with elite talent every year.

born2ride writes:

Bruce Pearl can come back in 2 more years.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to MikeInTN:

Martin's shown he doesn't believe in recruiting SEC Calibur players, except when they just happen to fall into his lap. The talent level gets much worse after this year when Stokes and the bulk of Pearl's recruits are gone.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Griswold:

Why does he deserve more money? What has he accomplished to deserve more money? Should give raises for getting to the NIT, then getting beaten by MTSU on your home floor? Does losing on your home floor to Austin Peay earn you more money? How about we let Coach Martin accomplish something at UT, like winning an SEC Championship or getting to the NCAA Tournament (where we had been the six years previous) before he's given more money.

MikeInTN writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

It that's the case, his stay on The Hill will be brief.

govols1981 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

What is your problem,westknoxrepub.We was picked to be at the bottom of the sec and not only did we prove all the haters wrong,i thought we done it in well.your just a vol hater anyway.i dont even know why i let you bait me in this conversation.

luvmatersoup writes:

I am so glad UT will finally be paying him. Coach M is rock solid and I can't believe he went this long without being paid. We are very lucky that 1. he could afford to be here without a salary and 2. he didn't leave. I hope we aren't doing this to other coaches and University faculty. I'm still wondering just how much we owe Coach M. in back pay for all of these months! Go Vols and Go Rocky Top!!!

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Ok...I re-read the article and see where we are at least paying for moving expenses of $25K. I don't know how he could have afforded to pay for moving and living expenses when he hadn't received a paycheck in 15 MONTHS! Geeze! Go Vols and go Coach M. Class act!

Rookie2 writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

You, with this again... really? He's been getting paid all along based on the terms of the MOU. We've already been over this from the initial article that was posted about CCM still being under the MOU (you obviously didn't bother to read it). Are you really this obtuse, or are you trying to stir some kind of pot by continuing to insist UT has not paid him since he's been here?

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to Rookie2:

Sorry Rookie2...I didn't go back to the other article and read your post. From what you just posted it appears that he has been getting paid by a MOU. What kind of payment is a MOU? Personally, I wouldn't like to be hired by someone and they pay me with a MOU? Just glad he now has a contract!! Go Vols!!!

Rookie2 writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Okay. I thought you were doing that on purpose. The Memoradum of Understand (MOU) is a very basic contract, but it is a binding contract that is put in place until all the intricate details of the "real" contract can be ironed out. The MOU sets the basic terms of the hire.., compensation, length of contract etc.. It allows you to begin working and get paid, until the lawyers/agents can negotiate out the smaller points.., like who gets the wagon wheel coffee table in the event of a divorce.

luvmatersoup writes:

in response to Rookie2:

I think I understand you! I found it hard to believe that he could afford to live without a paycheck but then again, I didn't know what his wife did for a living? As I said before, i don't think I'd ever work for anyone that paid me by MOU's but hey, each to their own. Just goes to show what type of character Coach M has!!! Go Rocky Top and MOU!

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

That's a legitimate concern, and one that I've pointed out several times, but remember that until a few weeks ago Martin had a lot of recruiting restrictions from the Pearl fiasco. I'm more interested in his recruiting moving forward. It will determine his future as a college coach.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

In the state of Tennessee, those restrictions should not have mattered. He's targeting average players whose other major offers are coming from low major conferences. If Pearl hadn't laid the groundwork for Stokes, he would not have chosen Tennessee, and this program would be in horrible shape now, instead of next year when his recuits are front and center, getting pummeled by the likes of Auburn.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

The previous 2 posters obviously don't keep up with recruiting. We are high on the list for Austin Nichols, Robert Hubbs, Markel Crawford, Jonathan Williams III, and Moses Kingsley, along with a few others. None are lower than 4-star.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

I meant Nick King, not Moses Kingsley.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

A little early to put a contract together, but if this year goes like I think it may..CCM will be one hot commodity..HBTV!!

As many of you know, I am more than ambivalent about "talent" and "recruiting-service stars" and such. I would say only that many players with more "talent" will still find it more than difficult to deal with experienced, conditioned, strong, active players who can come at you in waves.

Just offhand, I would say that there are not more than two or maybe three players in the regular rotation who will be less than 6'6". Most of those will have at least a complete season of full varsity participation. This is significant because if you read the article on Jarnell Stokes' improvement, he discovered that pounding on HS kids and banging in the SEC are two different things. My point is that while the marquee schools get the majority of the more or less "NBA-ready" talent, players like that are already looking forward to the NBA and therefore never become more than sophomores.

What Martin is building is a PROGRAM in which all the players will be on the same page of the same playbook, will all be subjected to the same intense S&C work, and will be accustomed to functioning as a true team both on and off the floor. Such a team will present a formidable challenge to any OTHER team, any day, anywhere.

This rather "old-school" orientation regarding a college basketball program is derided by the win-at-any-cost crowd, but it is surely closer to the kind of program I want to root for than merely following a group of mercenary gladiators.

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

In my earlier post today, I did not mean to say that recruiting isn't important. What is important to Martin, and to anyone who appreciates college ball as such, is to get players who will be the kind of players and people who willingly become part of your program and work hard enough and stay long enough to acquire a degree, to develop as players and as human beings, and develop the team attributes that will lead to sustained success on and off the court.

On the other hand, a program could just chase after the ones everybody says they should want regardless of these other considerations. Sure, the national buzz and fan-rousing aspect of getting a big-name recruit or three is not to be overlooked. However, if I read him right, Martin seems to be building according to the principles that he knows bring success in life, and the right kind of talented player with values and maturity, or who at least knows the value of those things, will find that approach appealing.

MikeInTN writes:

With Martin's Mid-West connections...how come U.T. is not even in the Top 10 of Chicago's Jabari Parker's (#1 prospect in 2013) list of schools he will choose to attend?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to MikeInTN:

Ok I'll bite. I'm not sure I want a #1 just based on the fact he's a #1. But I must say I've wondered if we took a look at him. I probably would do as other coaches have done and offer 1-20 5*s!! "Sorry Mr. walk-on we need this spot." Or even better "sorry Mr. 3* we just landed a 4* so good bye." And 2 weeks later..."sorry Mr. 4*. You aren't good enough 'cause we just landed a 5freikin'*! Go away now we don't need you anymore."
Point is we just can't ignore the players we have when some have turned rather good. I know these players are future recruits but we already have a really good nucleus.
That said I hope we DO land a couple of these highly desired future NBA types! I sure as heck love the fact that Stokes chose UT no matter his reasons. So I don't necessarily disagree with your post I just wanted to point out that there are many reasons a coach looks at a player than how many *s are by his name.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to MikeInTN:

If Parker isn't interested, then he isn't interested.