Coaches pick five Vols for preseason SEC team

Tennessee wide receiver Da'Rick Rogers makes a catch along the sideline in the first quarter during the Orange and White Game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 21, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Headlined by first-team selection Da’Rick Rogers, five Tennessee players were named to the preseason Coaches All-SEC team, the league announced Thursday.

The Vols fell six short of prohibitive favorites Alabama and LSU, which posted 11 apiece, and had the eighth-most players selected.

Rogers, a junior wide receiver and AP All-SEC selection in 2011, is joined on the first team by fellow receivers Arkansas’ Cobi Hamilton and Texas A&M’s Ryan Swope, who tied in the voting. Rogers led the conference with 67 receptions a year ago and tallied 1,040 receiving yards and nine touchdowns.

Rogers’ wideout counterpart at UT, Justin Hunter, was a second-team selection by the coaches despite having season-ending ACL surgery. Before seeing his 2011 season cut short in the third game, Hunter caught 17 passes for 314 yards and two touchdowns.

The Vols’ other representative on the second team was senior defensive back Prentiss Waggner, while senior offensive lineman Dallas Thomas and sophomore linebacker A.J. Johnson were third-team picks.

Quarterback Tyler Bray was left on the outside looking in as Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson (first team), Georgia’s Aaron Murray (second) and Alabama’s A.J. McCarron (third) occupied the three quarterback slots.

The Coaches All-SEC team was announced in advance of SEC Football Media Days held next week at the Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, Ala.

Coaches Pre-Season All-SEC Teams

First Team Offense: QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas; RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina; RB Knile Davis, Arkansas; WR Da’Rick Rogers, Tennessee; WR Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas; WR Ryan Swope, Texas A&M; TE Philip Lutzenkirchen, Auburn; OL Alex Hurst, LSU; OL Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M; OL D.J. Fluker, Alabama; OL Larry Warford, Kentucky; C Barrett Jones, Alabama.

Second-Team Offense: QB Aaron Murray, Georgia; RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama; RB Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt; WR Justin Hunter, Tennessee; WR Emory Blake, Auburn; WR *Odell Beckham, Jr., LSU; WR *LaRod King, Kentucky; TE Chris Gragg, Arkansas; OL Alvin Bailey, Arkansas; OL Chance Warmack, Alabama; OL Chris Faulk, LSU; OL Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State; C T.J. Johnson, South Carolina.

Third-Team Offense: QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama; RB Spencer Ware, LSU; RB Christine Michael, Texas A&M; WR Malcolm Mitchell, Georgia; WR T.J. Moe, Missouri; TE Michael Williams, Alabama; OL Jake Matthews, Texas A&M; OL Dallas Thomas, Tennessee; OL Xavier Nixon, Florida; OL Elvis Fisher, Missouri; C Travis Swanson, Arkansas.

First-Team Defense: DL Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina; DL Sam Montgomery, LSU; DL Corey Lemonier, Auburn; DL Barkevious Mingo, LSU; ILB C.J. Mosley. Alabama; ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama; OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia; OLB Sean Porter, Texas A&M; DB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU; DB Bacarri Rambo, Georgia; DB Eric Reid, LSU; DB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State.

Second-Team Defense: DL John Jenkins, Georgia; DL Devin Taylor, South Carolina; DL Jesse Williams, Alabama; DL Sharrif Floyd, Florida; ILB Jon Bostic, Florida; OLB Alonzo Highsmith, Arkansas; OLB DeVonte Holloman, South Carolina; DB Robert Lester, Alabama; DB D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina; DB Prentiss Waggner, Tennessee; DB Matt Elam, Florida.

Third-Team Defense: Josh Boyd, Mississippi State; DL *Dominique Easley, Florida; DL Abry Jones, Georgia; DL Damontre Moore, Texas A&M; DL Rob Lohr, Vanderbilt; ILB *Alec Ogletree, Georgia; ILB *Daren Bates, Auburn; ILB *Jelani Jenkins, Florida; OLB Zaviar Gooden, Missouri; OLB A.J. Johnson, Tennessee; DB Dee Milliner, Alabama; DB Charles Sawyer, Ole Miss; DB Akeem Auguste, South Carolina; DB E.J. Gaines, Missouri; DB Sanders Commings, Georgia.

First-Team Specialists: P Brad Wing, LSU; PK Caleb Sturgis, Florida; RS Tyrann Mathieu, LSU; AP Dennis Johnson, Arkansas.

Second-Team Specialists: P Steven Clark, Auburn; PK Drew Alleman, LSU; RS Andre Debose, Florida; AP Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State.

Third-Team Specialists: P Dylan Breeding, Arkansas; P Tyler Campbell, Ole Miss; PK Zach Hocker, Arkansas; RS Dustin Harris, Texas A&M ; AP Bruce Ellington, South Carolina.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ajh1014 writes:

Hopefully Bray will take this snub to be motivation to stay focused and show them why leaving him out was a big mistake.

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

It's such a joke that Bray is being slotted as a high 1st round pick in some big time mock NFL drafts. If that's the case, how can he not even get at LEAST 2nd team consideration? Not a hater, or a troll, but y'all have seen what I'm talking about and it is laughable. He definitely deserved 3rd team though. I'd take him over McCarron any day.

Fryinpansvols writes:

If Justin Hunter successfully returns from his ACL injury he will be a 1st team All-American. GBO!

VolGrad writes:

Go Vols! Beat the Pack!!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Wait and see how the list changes by the end of the season. Bray was the #1 QB in the SEC last year with 283+ yards per game. No way McCarron finishes ahead of him with Rogers, Hunter, Patterson, Rivera, etc to throw the ball to.

VOLet_parking writes:

I really don't think it is a snub to leave Bray off of all three lists. He may be talented, but hasn't done much against SEC competition whether it be due to injuries, or what-have-you. Just look at last year against the SEC teams he played against. (UK, Vandy, UF, UGA)...he was 75-151 (49.6%) with 6 TD and 6 int with an average of 235 yds per game. I'm not saying he isn't good, but he does not deserve to be preseason all SEC in any way, shape, or form until he does something. He pads his stats against scrub teams.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

After watching Bray in the Ky. game I wouldn't put him on my midget team. He proved what a sissy he was in that game and I challenge him this year to prove he isn't a total loser.

PUL4VOLS writes:

The preseason is just that, preseason. Let's see where anyone is come November. One certainty is Crowell will be neither a preseason nor any other pick this year. That will give another back an opportunity. I love Bray but agree he needs to show mettle against some better quality teams if he gets pegged as high for the draft as some think. This is the year he needs to do it.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

If you were about 80% recovered from a broken thumb on your throwing hand and had a fever of 102, you wouldn't play your best either.

Obviously the coaches thought he was the best one to play that day, but maybe it should have been Worley. At any rate, Bray wasn't in that wildcat formation that fumbled the ball over to the mildcats after he had moved the Vols to the UK 8 with 2-2-59. That fumble cost the game more than any other play. Trust me. I was there. The whole energy turned around. It gave UK and their "fans" the emotional lift and did just the opposite for us.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Oh yeah, at 6'6", I don't think it would be fair to put him on your midget team anyway.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Go Vols! Beat the Pack!!!

No El Problem. vols 28 NCS 14

flatrock writes:

UT football program challenge in a nutshell--of the 79 players named, only 2 played high school ball in the state of Tennessee (zero, actually, since I don't consider Memphis to really be part of Tennessee!)--LSU's Hurst and Alabama's Jones...This is a HUGE reason so-called big-name head coaches avoid the UT job in droves!

MidTennVol writes:

These coaches obviously don't know what they're talking about! Our kicker and punter didn't even make third team!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

Considering it's a preseason pick it sounds about right to me.

Names will probably change alot at the end of the season and we could see several more UT players on that list by then.

VFL...GBO!!!

SevenT writes:

Bray throws up big numbers against teams like Buffalo and UT fan thinks he is the next Manning. I have said time and time again Bray is a middle of the pack QB in the SEC with at big arm, slow feet and a 10 cent brain. SEC backfields read him like a book and shut him down.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

It's a shame KNS won't shut you down

Lil_ZZGataBoy writes:

Preseason lists don't mean nothing, just a recap of last year written by a bunch of keyboard warriors. Right now everybody has the same record -- 0-0.

fearthehound writes:

in response to SevenT:

You know, you're right, you have said that several times. In fact, I'm thinking about all of your posts are pretty much the same old stuff over and over.

tennesseeduke writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Hey dillhole you must have forgotten he had a broke thumb, and was sick. This is pre-season and that means these lists are picked on hype! Bray is being hyped as a top 10 pick in next yrs draft. That being said none of the QB's on 1st-3rd team are so the logical question is why was he left off?
Please leave and never post here again!
GBO

born2ride writes:

Only one UT player on the first team and it is trouble maker Da’Rick.

Oh my, how the Vols have fallen under Dooley.

BolivrBob writes:

I'm ready for some football !

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Were you born an idiot or did you grow into one?

Bray was still recovering from a broken thumb and had a fever. He probably should have been yanked after the 1st half. Most of the team seemed to be sleep-walking thru that game. But guess what Einstein? That was 2011. This is 2012. The Vols will rise. You will still be a dumb***. GO VOLS. GO DOOLEY.

SCVFL writes:

Who were the 7 teams with more picks? 8th is smack dab in the middle. I hope the VOLS can change some minds by the end of the season. The potential for a good or better season. I think 8-9 wins is realistic. I just cannot see 10. But I still love the VOLS.
GO BIG RNG...VFL

tractoronthepole writes:

What is the staple that is missing on a good Tennessee Team? Special Teams, Offensive Lineman, and running back. Hire Johnny Majors to coach special teams, motivate our OL (we have some talent there) and Jay make it happen with RB!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm not a fan of pre-season anything!. UNLESS the players can ignore them. OR unless Bray takes this and is properly motivated to excel.
Even the first top 20 poll is a silly thing. I'm guessing that UT might be in the top 30 pre-season. anyhow it just means there is room for growth and that's what I'm hoping for both as a team and the individual players. Bray will be great and soooo will our receivers if we keep out heads on straight and our bodies injury free.

For instance I exercise my typing fingers everyday. I should be in the pre-season top 2000 posterers.

Huttdawg100 writes:

All three of the guys had better numbers than Bray. However, I think most will say that Bray going out there against KY and Vandy with a broken thumb was a poor coaching decision, and it hurt Brays stats. We run a pro style offense, but Bray couldn't take a snap under-center. Sims should've gotten the start. He was good enough to take on Florida, Bama, LSU and Georgia in 2010, but he's not good enough for Kentucky? But that's water under the bridge now.

NFL Scouts love Bray because he can throw it on a frozen rope, and throws his receivers open. He's got better size than any of these guys.
2011 Stats per ESPN:

Tyler Bray
144.8 QB Rating
17 TDs
6 Ints
59.5% Completion percentage

Col26ca writes:

All preseason polls and teams do is get the masses with little to do worked up. It's where you are at the end of the season that counts. A little like the St. Louis Cardinals and David Freeze last year in baseball. GBO Classes of 72 & 75. Let the chips fall where they may. To end, I am a Kentucky boy born and raised with 2 UK parents and visit their Lexington site. I have and never will comment, unless it is a congrats on something, as I am not a UK fan. While I don't want a lovefest on the site it is a shame that so many people who hate UT and are fans of other teams want to come onto another teams site to rip. Lack of self esteem I guess.

frblalack writes:

Totally agree with a previous poster. If Justin Hunter is 100%; he's a first-team All American! Da'Rick & CP will both be awesome as well!

Vols will dominate!!!

Orange & White - Believe it!!!

RockyMtnVol writes:

Its been a year, a lot of variables have changed in UT Football. The pieces are there, its up to the players to execute the plan. If you want to shut up the critics, then go out there and play with some passion and focus, trust me on this, the band wagon gets crowded quick with the same people who say that UT or any school that has struggled and Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Nebraska, all the PAC 12, all the ACC have had multiple years of hard times. It was UT's turn.....whether we like it or not. I believe CDD is the guy to estlablish a solid program (not just a team) to move UT into the future and back on top or at least our dog will be hunting again.

GBO!!!

AllforTenn writes:

in response to flatrock:

Name some members of these "droves" of "so-called big-name coaches" who avoid the UT job. UT has always recruited nationally - look at the rosters during the Neyland years.

usafvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

You seem to know very little about the game of football. I'd suggest you find a sport that's a little easier to comprehend like maybe walking or jogging!

usafvol writes:

in response to born2ride:

Only one UT player on the first team and it is trouble maker Da’Rick.

Oh my, how the Vols have fallen under Dooley.

We fell long before Dooley showed up doofus..

BluezVol writes:

You mean to tell me that neither of our kickers made the any of the levels of the "All-SEC" team?!?!....shocker.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to flatrock:

That is what I have been telling these dolts. Good post.

62vol writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

I agree. I just looked up the definition of the word "snub" and he was not snubbed, he simply has not proven himself as wll as have the top three. He is a great thrower but has a way to go to be a great quarterback. He has admitted that he has depended too much on his arm and has now started to be a student of the game.
Our running game will get a boost when he learns to read defenses and to check off to the run and to execute better play action, etc.
His future is bright if he gets his head out of California life style and into team football. He could be one of our best ever, it is up to him to mature and sharpen(no slash reference intended) his skills.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Were you born an idiot or did you grow into one?

Awww ....was he feeling puny??? Awwww did he have a hurt fingy?
Seriously, the Bear would slap you into next week for comments like that. Eric Ainge had one of the best years of any QB in UT history with a broken finger.

Toughen up Myron..

VolzsFan writes:

I say Ole Tenn is 5-7 again this year.

flatrock writes:

in response to born2ride:

Only one UT player on the first team and it is trouble maker Da’Rick.

Oh my, how the Vols have fallen under Dooley.

born2deride- you are an idiot!

flatrock writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

I am more comfortable with Justin Worley...He may not have quite the arm strength, but I will trade smarts for arm any day...He got hung out to dry last year vs. SC / LSU / AL, but he had almost no support...He looked solid in the spring and, with the new receiving corps, I believe he could grow quickly into a big-time QB!

flatrock writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

Can't name them- if they don't even bother to return our A.D.'s calls...

Harrit writes:

Pre-season awards are nice and predictions are fun. The main stat I look at is the low number on the blotter report. 1 academic loss in Lanier, and 1 bone-headed loss in Cam Clear was plenty, with Media Days around the corner. If we can sneak into Fall Camp with only 2 counted-on players gone, I'll take that as a quiet victory. Fellas! Stay the course, and please, no Knoxville Club shananigans! Lets get to August 2nd with all the cards in the deck, fully loaded, and ready to rumble!!!Go Vols!

Lil_ZZGataBoy writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I say Ole Tenn is 5-7 again this year.

You got it all wrong boy. Double digit wins this year for my Vols. Book it and take it to the bank.

crappieking writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I say Ole Tenn is 5-7 again this year.

Yes, and the Doofus Dooley talk will be over.

VolGrad writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

I'm ready for some football !

Yep. My PlayStation is getting worn out. College football withdrawals are tortuous.

Go Vols! This is Big Orange Country!!!

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to flatrock:

I completely disagree. That's way off base on so many levels. In 2008, we got the biggest name available. Unfortunately, Kiffin was immature and had no loyalty. I know for a fact that Brian Kelly and Gary Patterson had interest in the job. Patterson openly campaigned for the job, and Kelly interviewed with Hamilton. The problem was Hamilton was as ill-prepared to make coaching hiring decisions, as Rick James was to teach a drug prevention program. Look at how Jeff Long handle the Petrino situation, which was very similar to ours. He hired an interim coach, and now they got a full year to pluck a top notch coach from another school.

And Bartlett is a suburb of Memphis.

VolGrad writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

No El Problem. vols 28 NCS 14

Can't wait. Love to see our Vols turn the corner and play 4 full quarters of solid football against NC State.

This is BOC!

GerryOP writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

And Bartlett is a suburb of Memphis.

I tend to agree with you Hutt, Hamilton failed us and our University as a manager. He failed in managing both Kiffin and Pearl. Hamilton looked at Pearl and Kiffin and said something like "I'm paying guys big bucks to do your job. I shouldn't have to manage you." A serious mistake.

Kiffin is doing quite well at USC, probably because Haden let him know who's in charge. One false step and he's gone. And Pearl? He's a two-time loser and maybe in two years will get a third chance.

I don't have any idea who else was looked at for the job, but if Hamilton had grabbed both Pearl and Kiffin by the scruff of the neck the first time they stepped out of line, then perhaps all three would still be at Knoxville. But, as it turns out, both Kiffin and Pearl walked all over Hamilton, stirred up a whole bunch of crapola and ill-will, and left our University's athletic programs in the dumpster.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

There was an article out of the Cincy newspaper released after Kelly interviewed with Hamilton. In that article, Kelly said, "I'm not going to Tennessee".

There was an interview done by bill king shortly after Kiffin was hired, and the guy king interviewed point blank said he thought Patterson got the job.

We know Leach wanted it. Rucker and Cowherd said that Muschamp interviewed after Kiffin left. The guy at Utah interviewed as well.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to ajh1014:

Bray can't post superior numbers unless he plays a full season..All three QB's rated ahead of Bray had winning records and bowl trips on their resume'..How can anyone argue with that?? I'm putting my money on TB to have an all SEC type season this year..GBO!!

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Awww ....was he feeling puny??? Awwww did he have a hurt fingy?

Toughen up Myron..

Did you mean to spell Moron? Or is it some kind of Yiddish word - Myron Tupa? hahaha I don't know.... We as Vol fans shouldn't argue, we should come together and FIGHT as the underdogs we are. Personally I love being the underdog and I see great things this year! How about an upset?? Bring on Bama haha. See, now thats called being optimistic guys! Crazy but optimistic! GBO VFL.
*Im watching you trolls!*

This gets me pumped every time I watch it! Spread the word so more of the somewhat negative fans will see it and be reminded of who we are!

We Are The Tennessee Volunteers: