Florida, Alabama tickets available in UT mini-package

The chore of filling a college football stadium has become more challenging almost everywhere, including the NFL.

It's especially so at a program with a 100,000-seat facility and slumping fortunes on the field.

The University of Tennessee, which fits the above category, continues to search for creative ways to sell seats at Neyland Stadium.

The latest is a limited-time mini-package that includes marquee opponents Alabama and Florida.

For $150, you can get a ticket to either Florida or Alabama (but not both) and two other home games of your choice.

The offer began Thursday and runs through Sunday.

Also on sale this weekend are single-game tickets for Missouri, Kentucky, Akron, Troy and Georgia State. The non-conference games are $45. Kentucky is $50 and Missouri $70.

"Everybody's got different philosophies about mini-packages,'' said Chris Fuller, UT's senior associate athletic director for external operations.

"We thought that instead of setting the package, let's let folks buy who they want to buy.''

Fuller said UT sold about 2,500 mini-packs last year. This will be the first time Alabama and Florida tickets have been offered as an enticement.

"Obviously,'' Fuller said, "we've got some tickets to sell. The other thing is (visiting) teams aren't using all their tickets any more.''

Meanwhile, full season tickets are available in many sections of the stadium.

Fuller said UT has sold "right at 60,000" season tickets. Last year's total was about 63,000 out of a possible 72,500.

That's down from a decade ago when the program was winning big and selling more than 70,000 season tickets.

The factors include a slight reduction in the seating capacity, four years of mediocre results and a national trend in declining live audience as TV options make home viewing more attractive.

"It's definitely tough for just about everybody,'' Fuller said. "About the only way you can guarantee a full stadium is win at a championship level.

"There was a great article in The Wall Street Journal about the NFL. Even at the peak of their popularity, attendance is down 5 percent.''

Like the NFL, Tennessee is experimenting with ways to make the stadium experience more conducive. One is enhanced wireless capacity for mobile devices.

Fuller said UT hopes to have its wireless improvements full-go by the opening game this fall to provide fans a chance to interact.

Follow Mike Strange at http://twitter.com/strangemike44 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/strange.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SevenT writes:

Very smart move by Tennessee. UT fan will not want to attend the Florida or Alabama game because Tennessee is going to get creamed by both Florida and Alabama. So the AD office smells out of state $$$$$$.

OrangePsyched writes:

Some folks will say interest is waning and of course we have been down the last 4 or 5 years. I think a large part though is just the economy that we live in. I don't have close to the disposable income that I did a few years ago. It's not because I've gone in debt more..it's just the cost of living in general. I know it limits my trips to Knoxville.

Shmohawk writes:

Link?

10SE writes:

I personally get turned off because the seats are so small. Throw in the fact that it is a long drive for me and that we perform poorly, and there is a recipe for outdoor home parties.

One day, we will be good again, but it will be difficult as long as Spurrier, Saban and Miles are in the conference. Georgia, Florida and Auburn will get their share of tallent regardless of thier coaching deficiencies. We got lucky when another recruiting obstacle (Petrino) went bye bye.

laraccoon writes:

in response to SevenT:

this is a classic example of a broke person , lol . get a job moron and enjoy life. you are embarrassing yourself .

MetroplexMojo writes:

This may tick people off but its the product on the field. Bama has no problem filing their stadium. If UT had similar results, Neyland would be over capacity.

Its NOT the economy, stupid

rockypop writes:

I can't remember the last time UT offered tickets under any circumstance, to the Florida and Alabama games other than season tickets. Like the rest of the economy, it seems even college football is going to have to adopt a new model.

Even though I'm a huge UT fan, and have been for over 60 years, I have been concerned for a long time about the university's ticket policy during the last 25 or so years. That is - get it while you can and don't worry about hosing the loyal fans, who have been supporting the Vols all their life.

Surely, there must have been a voice of reason in the administration who argued against this policy of "extortion," but fell silent against the greed of those who saw dollars translating into unparalleled expansion that could not be sustained.

One can only hope that common sense and restraint will prevail - not only at UT, but in the world of college football. "Feeding the beast" that is BCS football, has become the norm, and one day, it will all come crashing down - just like Penn State.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

If I were going to be available to go any games this year, I would go for this package, and pick Florida, Mizzou and Kentucky. That's because I'd want to see UT win all three games I paid for, and not over any of those non-conference patsies.

VolzsFan writes:

Again, it is the product not the economy.

Again, Hamilton shot the golden goose.

Again, they are counting the freebies they give in terms of season tickets. Last years actual sales were 58K. Thus far they have sold less than that this year.

Hey, enjoy that change Baby!!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

There are many factors involved in this dilemma...But to completely overlook the economy as even a small factor is just plain stupid! And for many, it is more than a SMALL factor!

snafu14u#241639 writes:

I'm considering the Bama game plus two. Besides it being a great atmosphere and the tradition Fulmer and Manning will be there for the game. Maybe Fulmer gets them fired up and Payton gives them a locker room speech for the ages. Not to mention UTAD cancelled the home and home with the Oregon Ducks (I live in Portland,Or and catch grief over it all day) and I'll have to come to Knoxville to catch a game. BonzaiVol

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Tennessee has too many fair-weather friends, too many in fact to fill 100,000 seats consistently. Back in the 60's, that much stadium was hardly ever full either even with a much better team. The Johnny come lately fans since then have been spoiled so much, now they have to win every game or they pout and stay home. Maybe Neyland Stadium should keep getting smaller, but with wider (and better) seat positions for the rest of us great Tennessee fans who'll be there win or loose.

BobKesling_is_overpaid writes:

$70 to see the Missouri game? Bahahaha. What a joke. By the time that game rolls around, people will be giving away tickets for free.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

The end is near.

richvol writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

Truly...70.00 is outrageous. UT has hurt themselves with these crazy prices...and the food stinks and is too expensive as well.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Orange_Gravy:

You joined July 5. How many user names does this make for you now troll?

crmcm44#321757 writes:

Asking fans to keep buying tickets for higher prices each year while the program is in the tank shows the administration has no respect for the fans. They have priced the average fan out of the market.

GreerVol22 writes:

I saw a stat one time that roughly 30% of the attendees at any given UT home game are attending for one game per season only. Meaning they are either scalped on the street or thru ticket companies.

The economy is a factor despite 55inch HD broadcast. Look at NASCAR. Daytona was only 60% full last week. Many blue collar guys just are not working or are not working as much and simply cannot afford $70 for Missouri ticket (over $90 for NASCAR).

Solution, make everything from GG to QQ $30 for any game, first come first serve, limit 6 tickets per day per person per game. Better to have the worst seats full than empty.

And like I said before, if we don't start winning Neyland will soon be a home game for Bama and others. Harsh...but think about it.

GONAVY writes:

It's a combination of poor product on the field, instability in the coaching staff (over four years), economy, increased prices...but to say "other teams aren't using their allotment" is not true. Alabama sells their's out and wants more...UF the same. Maybe Mizzou and UK fit that description but please don't insult the readers intelligence...

govolsn3 writes:

Just look at the different prices per game and it is easy to figure out that UT has priced itself out. I can come to maybe 2 or 3 games a year from East Tennessee and that is about it. Fuel and food and tickets for 2 of us is over 300 bucks a game and that isnt even figuring in a hotel if it is a night game and want to stay down there. My 60 inch tv is just as good though and that is where I will be for the most part. I am hoping on a trip to Atlanta in August and dreaming of one in December.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to snafu14u#241639:

Tennessee did not cancel the home and home against Oregon (They played in Knoxville in 2010 and they are to play at Autzen in 2013). Georgia was the team that wussed out and cancelled the Oregon series. There are rumors out there that UT will buy out the Oregon game in 2013 but as of today, it is still on. If UT does buy out the 2013 game, I will be disappointed.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to crmcm44#321757:

6/6/2007

gc_scvol writes:

in response to snafu14u#241639:

Get your facts. 6/5/2007

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Orange_Gravy:

Orange_Gravy = Jeffy "NoNuts" Flowers

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

UT does not have any more (or any less) fair-weather fans that any other major football program. Attendance is driven by winning. LSU and Texas could not give tickets away during some of the lean years in the 1990s. UF and UGA have reputations for having fanbases that travel poorly (especially when not in championship contention). If you watch the Bama games from the mid-late 1990s, UT fans took over the stadium down in Tuscaloosa just like Bama fans did in Knoxville in 2008 and 2010.

creekroad writes:

It's about the parking....maybe they will have enough now.....dumping on the Alumni Assoc in favor of the "Big Orange Club" didn't help matters either.....throw in the Hamilton fiasco and you have the perfect storm.

SavTnVol writes:

in response to govolsn3:

I sure hate to be this way, but I too will not be going to Neyland again this year. It has nothing to do with the win/loss records from the past few years, but a sum of a few things. I didn't like it when they reduced the seat size. That made it rather uncomfortable to set and watch my beloved VOLS. The cost of gas from west Tennessee is almost as high as the tickets. The cost of the tickets seem to just keep rising. $70 for UT/Mizzo?. I bought a Panasonic projector for $200+ off ebay and a 110" screen for $60 that we set up on the patio for UT games. The setup cost me less that I'd spend for two to go to Knoxville for a game. Sure we miss all the excitement of the Strip, VolWalk, tailgating and the flood of Orange, but hey, we will get about 20 of us together, everybody brings some type of snack and someone will make an entree. Just as good as tailgating but without the cost of the drive. I love my VOLS and am behind CDD and the players this year all the way. Just don't have the resources to attend the games. There are options out there without being accused of being a "fair weather" fan!

VolzsFan writes:

Going forward, UT will now be known as Ole Tenn. Very similar athletic departments.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Going forward, you will now be known as Ole Dumb***. Wait a minute, you already are known as that. My bad..........

volboy81 writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

when did this "reducing the size of the seats" occur? As far as I know, that hasnt been done in decades...if ever! Maybe it just seems that way...for one reason or another!...

tanasi2 writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

I agree with these posts! U.T. has priced itself too high for the average fan to continue to buy season tickets year after year. I felt like I was gouged on ticket prices/required contributions for 26 years. I let my season ticket subscription lapse after the Fulmer firing! (Thanks Phil for the great years in the 1990's and early 2000's.) Soon, only rich corporations and rich people will be able to buy season tickets and attend U.T. and Professional football games.

crappieking writes:

Pretty sad state of affairs when we have to offer "mini packages" to sell tickets. Just shows you how far we have sunk under Hamilton and Doofus Dooley. The product on the field no where near commands the amount of money they are asking. Absolutley pathetic.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

The end is near.

That's okay DC..You can always switch to UT after FU gets beaten by CDD and FU fires muskrat..PS: Your secret is safe with me.

10SE writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Poor Bob. I just can't listen to that guy.

We used to turn the tv volume down to listen to John Ward. Now when the tv is turned down to listen to the Vol network, I leave!

stevefrommemphis writes:

What's happening at Neyland Stadium is just an early sign of change overtaking the entire college / university structure, especially during these economic times. Why leave home and have all the expense of going off to school when you can take many classes over the internet? Get the first year or 18 months taken care of via internet, then go to university once you get into higher level courses. I think the students physically located at the universities will be significantly less in future years. Futhermore, unless you intend to make a career in a professional field that requires significant math, engineering, science, or maybe a few others (law, accounting), is it worthwhile to go to college at all? Is college obsolete in many cases?

in response to 10SE:

Gotta say, as I get older, the prospect of sitting on about 14" of backless aluminum benches, miles from (overpriced) food, drink, and rest rooms, becomes less and less appealing to me. I could probably tough it out a few more years in a luxury box, but I'm afraid my SS and pension don't quite stretch that far. I will probably try to make it to at least one game this year, but I couldn't use season tickets under the conditions described above if somebody gave them to me.

in response to BigVolFaninSC:

Correct. If it were only happening at UT, I would agree that the results on the field lately would be the main reason for a decline in attendance. Even so, more optimism about the team's prospects would no doubt help the gate. There are a few programs filling big stadiums on a regular basis, but the overall number doing that ALL the time keeps declining. If total attendance keeps climbing nevertheless, it is at least as likely to be because the school plays eight games a year. But there just is no question that the average paid attendance and percentage of purchased tickets actually used have been going down nationally for the last several years.

Of course, I meant "eight HOME games" a year.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to crappieking:

Dude, the NFL can't sell out stadiums with TV deals that are dictating the market. Until they can make a trip to the stadium less expensive (hotel prices and travel) the couch potato will opt for the TV package and watch the game on their own 60inch video board..I just purchased 7 tickets to the Miss. St game in October and those tickets were $73.00 a ticket and no vacancies at any hotel/motel in Starkville MS. It's little wonder UT and other SEC fans watching the games on television these days.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

Yes..Attending college has not only priced themselves out of the market they have become antiquated. Why waste thousands on tuition unless you're receiving a full ride scholarship to freakin' Harvard. That diploma still comes in paper format and fits nicely on the wall at home or office. It appears the old college system has priced itself out of mainstream America and viewing sporting events or attending college can easily be done at home.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Why would a out of state fan drive to Knoxville 3 times to only watch one game they might care about?

You're just trolling with no common sense.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

50 HD tv have taken a toll on every market, not to mention drinking and food deals at sports bars and the amble locations for places like Buffalo wild wings. The market is thin for people wanting to pay to park, pay to eat stale chips, cold hotdogs. College stadiums dont sell beer either. Not to mention the weather at times.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Orange_Gravy:

My guess is the UTAD cancelling the Oregon game has to do with all the changes that have to take place to work in Mizzou and Tx A&M into the league.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to johnlg00:

There's no doubt in my mind that internet and TV coverage of so many games has a big impact on attendance. With big screen TVs priced like they are now, watching at home is a lot better than it used to be, and a helluva lot less expensive than going to the game.

I think the only way the stadium can keep up is to do everything possible to make the whole experience so amazing that you just have to go. How they do that, I have no idea, but when you have a 60+ inch HDTV, and you can pause the action, rewind, slo-mo, etc, and you don't have to stand in line to pee in a trough......

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

in response to richvol:

Hence, the tailgate party.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BobKesling_is_overpaid:

That's on par with other SEC schools..But I agree Mizzou will have a bad first season..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to HOW_BOUT_DEM_COWBOYS:

Thx,88?..I mean HBTC!!

MetroplexMojo writes:

Anyone know a good place to rent a TV this fall?

traderjoe writes:

What's the rush? Next year I expect they'll send me a check for $150 if I show up for any game. Who didn't see this coming?

manniesghost1903 writes:

Discussions over the number of screen names supporters and detractors of Derek Dooley have occurred. Arguments can be made about the number of wins coach Dooley needs to stay on as head coach at UT. The bottom line, however, is the number of UT fans which show up for home games that will determine Coach Dooley's fate. Regardless of the economy, a good product will draw people in. They will find a way to obtain a ticket to a game. Even during the depression fans filled major leagues stadiums to see their favorite players and teams. If you build a "winner" they will come.