John Adams: SEC football no place for job security

John Adams

Which SEC coach has the most pressure in the 2012 season?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Derek Dooley has had back-to-back losing seasons at Tennessee, so it's safe to assume his job isn't as secure as Alabama's Nick Saban. It's also a safe assumption that his job security will be a popular theme when he takes his turn on the dais at SEC Football Media Days this week in Hoover, Ala.

But themes can change abruptly in a league as demanding as this one. And other coaches could be feeling more pressure than Dooley by the end of the season.

Take Kentucky coach Joker Phillips, for example. Take Florida's Will Muschamp, for another example.

Phillips has lost seven games in each of his first two seasons. That would have been worthy of a raise at Kentucky seven years ago but not after his predecessor raised the standard for judging Kentucky football.

Rich Brooks posted two eight-win seasons and took the Wildcats to bowl games in each of his last four seasons. When he retired, he left the program with higher hopes and expectations.

Never mind that Phillips has produced one glorious Saturday, ending Kentucky's 26-game losing streak against UT last November. He hasn't lived up to the expectations his former boss left behind.

And it's hard to be optimistic about the immediate future. Six of the offensive starters will be either freshmen or sophomores; the defense returns only five starters.

Not only is Kentucky 4-12 in the SEC under Phillips. Louisville now has the upper hand in the in-state rivalry.

Phillips might need to beat UT again to keep his job.

Muschamp also would be advised to continue Florida's winning streak against the Vols in his second season as a head coach. A victory over UT was as good as it got for the Gators in 2011 when they went 7-6. They lost to rivals Georgia and Florida State, and suffered defeats against LSU and Alabama by a combined 79-21 count.

The Gators return 18 starters. But they haven't decided on a starting quarterback, don't have a proven SEC-caliber running back and cry out for playmakers at wide receiver.

One other thing: athletic

director Jeremy Foley doesn't hesitate to correct mistakes. He fired Ron Zook before the end of his third season, and Zook never lost more than five games.

If you're looking for a dark horse hot-seat candidate, how about LSU coach Les Miles?

Don't bother asking, "How can anyone question Miles' job security after his team went 13-1 and played for the national championship?"

Just re-watch LSU's 21-0 loss to Alabama in the national championship game or talk to any LSU fan about Miles' decision to leave quarterback Jarrett Lee on the bench while Jordan Jefferson was forever endearing himself to Alabama fans in the Superdome.

Miles' 2012 team is talented enough to win every game. But if it fails to play up to its extremely high expectations or suffers another embarrassment of Alabama proportions, his job could be in jeopardy.

John Adams is a senior columnist. He may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

notorange writes:

This article was so easy to write even caveman adams could do it..........

dvhill100 writes:

Good filler article. "...Jordan Jefferson was forever endearing himself to Alabama fans...". Absolutely hilarious.

I don't know of anyone who was dealt a worse situation than Dooley when he came here. He has done yeoman's work on bettering the football team. Having said that, it is all about the x's and o's. If he doesn't win, he'll be having a less than congenial conversation with the AD.

I hope he does well.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

So true John, so bend down on the ground and kiss it in thanks/praise that KNS doesn't have the same high standards as the SEC..Just sayin'

tovolny writes:

John, John, John...tttssshhh tttssshhhh. But, seriously, you did a pretty good job. I actually see where you are coming from with this. I have started looking at your stuff with a little adjusted perspective. After it was explained to me what role you are using, I have either mellowed out or have gotten smarter. So, I am trying to balance things out. I will still try to cut you down to defend the Vols; however, I will give you some credit when credit is due.

SuckTheseVols98 writes:

in response to tovolny:

and what "role" is JA using/playing?
JA your absolutely terrible! go find a job in florida, i heard muschamp needs a hott secretary for some under-the-table desk work!!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say we all love razzing Adams BUT lets all agree he is MUCH MUCH better than anyone writing for the Rag out of Nashville. Witch Doctor say Adams offends at times but at LEAST hes not doing for the reaction of some.. named Climer. Witch Doctor say with that...Witch Doctor full fill his community service obligation repaying bet he lost, and now go back to hating..hehe
Bones never lie.

creekroad writes:

I note that at the end of the article, John is listed as "senior columnist"......didn't he used to be sports editor....maybe the security at KNS isn't what we thought it was...John is on the way out, now that would be something to celebrate.

fearthehound writes:

C'mon guys, this is the silly season. There's really not a lot of college sports to report--actually nothing. For JA to come up with something to write about at all is pretty impressive. At least he isn't doing a hatchet job on Dooley--that will probably come later. By the way, did I miss something? I haven't seen Austin Ward around in awhile. Did I miss some big announcement or something?

frblalack writes:

Actually one of JA's better articles. Vols will be much better than the naysayers, i.e. Climer, etc.

All Vols - All the Time - I BLEED Orange!!! Believe in UT!!! Vol for Life!

Huttdawg100 writes:

Les Miles being on the hot seat is totally baffling to me. He beat Saban twice in a row in regular season match ups. Did anyone really expect Saban to take 3 straight losses to him? Really? Obviously it was a mistake to ride it out with Jordan Jefferson, but look at what that team had gone through: bar room brawls, NCAA investigations, their offensive coordinator developing an extremely tough disease and having to step down last summer. I'm not a Miles can, but if he gets fired, he's got a job whenever he wants it, NFL or College.

On Dooley:
Being fair to Dooley, recruiting had slipped under Fulmer, and Kiffin purged the program by running off some talented guys like Lennon Creer. Kiffin left the program in far worse shape than what he inherited. That said, we still had enough talent last year to beat Kentucky. When you lose to teams with less talent, and you take a step backwards, you're gonna have questionable job security.

I consider myself a college football junkie. I not only keep up with Tennessee, but I follow programs around the country. Michigan and Nebraska recently went through similar situations as we're going through. In both cases, they had bad leadership in the Athletic Department that hired bad fits to run third football programs: Bill Callahan and Rich Rod. Is Dooley a bad fit? I'm not sure, but 2 straight losing seasons just won't cut it here.

eVOLved writes:

mentioned KY

snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Austin Ward left months ago for another gig somewhere. Bonzaivol

lafollette37766 writes:

Know some people in the UK athletics dept. The feeling around there is that nothing short of Joker walking on water will save his job. If UK had had an AD other than MIke Hamilton Jr., aka: Mitch Barnhart, Joker wold have been gone last year.

SouthPaVol writes:

It don't matter what loser the pussycats bring in, The Big Orange start another 20 year reign in November.

As for florida, keep the "chump." He ain't worth squat at coaching and what a pathetic recruiter! Anyone that can't recruit in Gainsville is a lost cause. I believe Lou Holtz would come out of retirement to coach at florida. Regardless of Lou Holtz or the second coming of Tebow, we put the gators in their place in about two months.

My left-handed prediction is we are undefeated when facing Alabama-our pivotal game. Question is: can the lawyer step up and be a big-time coach? That means beating the Tide and getting the team ready to play a very good USC team the following week.

Think big, my friend. Go Vols!

Couchdummy writes:

in response to creekroad:

Interesting. With Gribble and Ward both departed from KNS, it appears that Adams was also shelved to a "senior contributor" role. Hadnt noticed til you pointed it out.

MikeInTN writes:

Losing to KY with a wide receiver as qb sends him from the hot seat to the furnace!!!!

pauln500#205995 writes:

If Adams' articles are so distasteful to you guys, I wonder why you keep reading them !?!?!?

crappieking writes:

After the upcoming 5-7 season, the Dooley talk will be over, and I for one, will be glad. It is time for TN to step up to the plate and hire a proven, players coach. Not someone that was 17-20 overall, coaching a patsy like La Tech. Hamilton was terrible, and made a terrible hire in Dooley. Anyone that thinks any different is kidding themselves.

bigorangebolt writes:

I think this is the pivotal year for Coach Dooley! The bottom line is to win and beat
some SEC opponents! We must beat Florida,Kentucky,South Carolinia and surprise
someone! Of course, we should kill NC State!
Let's raise our game and sing Rocky Top with pride! Go Big Orange!

Craig

CrankE writes:

So if UT fires Dooley and LSU loses their head and fires Miles, can we switch head coaches? Maybe get Miles to lure some of his staff to UT...ahem...ahem...?

Just saying.

MetroplexMojo writes:

Here is a definition of hot seat. If a coach went 6-6 this year, could he lose his job?

Yes - Dooley, Richt, Muschump, Phillips, Chizik, Miles, Smith

Half the league's coaches could be canned if their team went 6-6 this year. Two more (Mullen and Pinkel) would have a hot seat next year if they went 6-6 this year.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Certainly your right to watch what you wish. If you were among those that didn't feel Alabama belonged in the championship game, I think you're wrong. I was at the first LSU-Alabama game and Alabama dominated that game outside some unusual blunders at the goal line and a kicker that couldn't hit a barn that night. LSU won in double OT by a field goal. On the other hand, Okla State lost to a nobody, Iowa State, and if you watch their games against teams such as K-State, it was easy to tell that they had no defense and were a poor tackling team. That wouldn't last five minutes against Alabama or LSU. The Alabama-LSU game was the best matchup, even if they had played earlier in the year..and Alabama proved in the championship game that they were better than LSU by completely dominating them. LSU got one first down late in the third qtr when the game was put away..and never scored. Biases aside, the best team proved who belonged as champion. Yeah, Miles was stupid for playing Jefferson all evening. Jefferson looked like a deer in headlights facing the relentless pressure, but neither QB Miles had would have made much difference. They simply got beat...and badly.

laraccoon writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

they might have been the better team that night but you still cant ignore the fact that Alabama and L S U played twice last season and split 1-1 . So does that make Alabama the better team , especially considering the fact that LSU won at Bama . i am not debating the fact Alabama probably belonged in the game , just your superiority claim .

thevoice writes:

in response to crappieking:

5-7 to 7-5 is my guess. Dooley has proven to be a terrible hire, but I think given the circumstances our program was in (pending NCAA investigation and the overall mess), Dooley may have been the right hire. I think many would have taken the job, but come with even less fanfare than DD. I could tell after Dooley's first few games he wasn't an SEC coach.

crappieking writes:

in response to thevoice:

Voice,

PUL4VOLS writes:

thevoice, you actually believe, "many would have taken the job..."? What about ones interviewed or at least approached who said no thanks? We weren't getting anyone with the Ham on the Hill. That is just plain facts.
crappieking, change it to crapking; Dooley was all we were getting and I want to know who is lining up now to come to Vol land even if he doesn't cut it this year, next year? I still have not seen a list of strong potentials or will we just wait until a Miles or other big somebody gets fired or moves on? Oh I guess Petrino is waiting in the wings as he Celebrates Recovery. Dooley is in place and true Vol fans will do well to get behind him and believe this can be a very good year for the Volunteers in football. I AM STILL WAITING FOR THAT REALISTIC LIST OF BIG TIME POTENTIAL COACHES! Who's got it?

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

Dooley has yet to prove if he is the wrong guy. Let the year play out and stop being so negative.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Bwahahahahahahahaa!

Navaloranges writes:

in response to thevoice:

You and crappieking are both wrong. And imo, either Trolls, bitter over the Fulmer firing, or just don't understand rebuilding. If either one of you think you could tell what kind of coach Dooley is, when facing those schedules with those rosters, you're fooling yourselves into thinking you know something about the game. Neither of you do, obviously. It is IMPOSSIBLE to tell what kind of coach somebody is when they don't have a CHANCE to compete, period. There should be no debating that FACT. And the only reason there is a debate is because of so-called "fans" such as yourself.

And I didn't "attack" either of you.

murrayvol writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

Trust me when I say Petrino won't be waiting long. He may be a miserable failure as a human being but the guy can coach. Chizik needs a good year.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

And I didn't "attack" either of you.

If CDD hadn't used up all his blue chips vs LSU, NC, and UK, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Life's not fair. He needs to win this year.

murrayvol writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Getting their GED tends to make Bama fans feel superior.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Life's not fair. He needs to win this year.

You're correct. But the thing is, CDD wasn't suppossed to beat UNC or LSU in those games and he came within a hair of doing so. We lost by 8 to UGA and were driving when Bray got injured. That's 3 games Dooley challenged and almost came out on top as the underdog. That ONE game he lost that he was suppossd to win. Playing 20 freshmen per year, for his first two years. And having a roster with 70%+ underclassmen for the first two years, and STILL about pulling those games out, to me, seems like an accomplishment, not the opposite.

in response to Navaloranges:

And I didn't "attack" either of you.

There seems to be an irreducible minimum of people on this board who apparently have no conception of how thin and weak our squad was when Dooley took over. I will agree with anybody who says Dooley did not noticeably increase the team's already slim chance of succeeding against one of the two or three toughest schedules in the entire country. Some untimely injuries by players counted on for leadership and production, no quality depth, etc., all adds up to, well, what we saw last season.

OK, let's just say for the sake of argument that the Vols won't continue to come up "snake-eyes" on every 50-50 situation. Let's assume that a squad that returns 18 starters might have learned a thing or two, some of the new assistants might have a clue, and most of the supporting cast is far sounder than it was last year. If they come out strong and nobody important gets hurt in the first month of the season, this could be a special year for the Vols, and Dooley may very well NEED for it to be a special year.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I think more to the point, there are a FEW fans that don't get how far down we were. Therte is the same small group of POSERS on this forum that PRETEND like we weren't down that far, so they can justify their agenda.

crappieking writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

And I didn't "attack" either of you.

Navel - I always have liked your post over the years, but I'm sorry, I just don't see any improvement. Not a troll, but a frustrated fan ready for some QUALITY wins. Take care. and we will see as the season unfolds.

FWBVol writes:

in response to crappieking:

Phillip Fulmer was not a "proven, player's coach," whatever you mean by that, when he was hired. Granted, as the Tennessee offensive coordinator and interim head coach while Johny recovered from heart surgery, there is no doubt Fulmer was more familiar with the Tennessee situation than Dooley and, having been in the program for more than a decade, was ready to step up to the HC job.

Muschamp has never been a "proven" head coach and Florida gave him the keys to the Gator kingdom. Jimbo Fisher at Florida State had never been a head coach and the same is true of Mark Richt at Georgia.

Derek Dooley's record at La. Tech keeps on being thrown around, but he walked into a situation there that might have been worse than what was happening at Tennessee.

IMO, college coaches don't need to be player coaches because by definition college players are still in the learning and growing process as far as becoming football players. College coaches need to be coaches and role models to to players and often time father figures.

Most head coaches do very little hands on coaching of position players so even if you buy into the player's coach idea it would seem the assistants need to fit that bill more than the head coach.

I want Tennessee to do well, and I hope Derek Dooley gets it done. And that's not because I'm a huge Derek Dooley fan, but rather because firing Dooley might very well set the program back another three or four years in the rebuilding cycle.

Derek Dooley signed a five or six-year contract and simply from an economical standpoint it wouldn't be smart to fire him while the buyout is still more than $2 million.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to crappieking:

If Dooley walked into a situation where he didn't have a major rebuilding job, and didn't improve, I'd understand your frustration. But the fact is, this team was practically in the gutter when he arrived. I don't think there's a coach alive that could have improved this team given our roster depletion and depth depletion after the double coaching change. There is just no way. I know a lot of us are frustrated. I just want our fans to withhold judgment until Dooley's had a fair shake.

Also, I realize YOU are just a frustrated fan. And I know who you were previously, and you've always been a straight shooter. I believe your frustration is a little too deep for the size of the pond lately though. I'm sure it's the anticipation for this season. It is huge for coach Dooley. I just think he can handle it, and then some. If he proves me wrong, I'll be here to admit it.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

another useless article from johnboy himeself...you got alot of nerve talking about job security BOY!!!

FanNotSheep writes:

In case you haven't noticed, lots of newspaper writers have moved into positions with more security. If what I've read is correct, cities like New Orleans, Mobile and Birmingham no longer have printed daily newspapers.

No matter what you think, John Adams is a talented writer. No one (or at the very least not many) can cover the same subject for 40 years and hit the mark every time. Of course UT fans don't agree when he rips the Vols but sometimes he is proven right isn't he? Everyone has an opinion and I certainly don't always agree with him, or with anyone else. But I sure look forward to opening the Sentinel Sports section every morning and reading about the Vols and Braves and all my favorite sports teams and stars. It will be a sad day if and when I no longer can do that.

Many of you no doubt get all your info online and don't pay a dime. Good for you. But don't be surprised when the old guys aren't replaced with great young writers if no one is willing to pay for the privilege of reading the newspaper anymore. If everyone gets their sports news without paying for it, well they will eventually get exactly what they paid for won't they?

in response to crappieking:

Look at it this way. How could you know now whether there has been any improvement since the UK debacle? Who have they played? What would be evidence to support any kind of change in this off-season? What we DO know is that, unlike any season for the last five years, we have a majority of projected starters who have ALREADY started. And most of the ones behind them have either also already had game experience or are promising newcomers who can push those returning starters for playing time out of sheer talent, not dire necessity. Dooley has not always been as forthcoming in the off-season as some might wish about what he REALLY thinks about the squad. However, we have already seen that if he speaks with confidence, he will be attacked for trying to put lipstick on a pig. If he downplays the team's chances, he will be accused of throwing the players under the bus. In short, there is NOTHING Dooley could be doing right now to prevent anyone who is determined to short-sell him and the team from doing so, as we see day after day on this board. This is a new year and a new team, though MUCH older in terms of experience than we have had lately. The Vols WILL be better this year, even if a few pessimists feel otherwise.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

Naval, I agree with you but the reality remains. He needs to win....maybe not 10 games but certainly more than 6.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Absolutely more than 6. I'd say more than 7 as well.