Prentiss Waggner says Justin Hunter is '100 percent'

HOOVER, Ala. —Although he won't be at SEC Media Days this week, Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter still should evoke a few questions since he is making a comeback from last season's knee injury, which knocked him out of the last nine games. His return is one of the main reasons the Vols could be much improved over last season's 5-7 team.

Senior cornerback Prentiss Waggner, who has been covering Hunter in offseason drills, has no doubt that Hunter is in top form.

"Right now, I'd say that Justin is 100 percent," Waggner said last Saturday. "He's got his weight up and he's doing 225 (pounds) multiple times (in the bench press). He thinks he's unstoppable.

"And he's got a pretty good argument."

The Waggner-Hunter match-up has been one of the highlights of the seven-on-seven drills, according to Waggner.

"If he catches a pass on me, the whole offense screams," Waggner said. "If I make a good defensive play, the whole defense screams."

Guard Duty: Senior offensive guard Dallas Thomas is still a tackle at heart, but he has gained a fondness for the new position he was assigned in the spring.

"(Guard) is a little easier," he said. "You're always helping somebody out. You're not alone one-on-one (like at tackle)."

Stone Solid: Thomas touts the summer work of fellow lineman James Stone, who opened the 2011 season as the Vols' starting center but eventually lost his spot to Alex Bullard because of wayward snaps.

"My man has been working on his snaps," Thomas said. "I can't wait to see what he does in the fall."

A natural left-hander, Stone finished his freshman season as UT's starting center. Then, coaches had him switch to his right hand last season as a sophomore. That didn't go well.

Thomas has noticed only the results this summer.

"I don't know if (the snaps) are left or right," he said. "But they're going back there perfect every time."

Stone ended spring practice in a close battle with Zach Fulton for a starting guard position. He also gives the Vols an experienced center behind Bullard, whose summer workouts have been affected by "personal issues," according to Dooley.

"(Stone) can play tackle, guard or center," Thomas said. "Whichever one they need him at, he can go."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mdvol writes:

"He thinks he's unstoppable" hehehehe

VOLS hang 40 on the Gators!

Rumblefish writes:

Would love to see Hunter pull a Julio Jones or Justin Blackmon type year. That would open up the rest of the offense incredibly.

rampsneggs writes:

Hope Waggner is correct about Hunter.

Played a little center in HS, and don't quite understand why it would be so important to have a right handed center that you change from a guys natural snapping hand.

tovolny writes:

Nothing wrong with planning a celebration; however, some thought should be expended on grief management as well. Have you ever been lost in the woods and felt how great it is to wander upon a familiar trail. If so, and if you are of higher form, you felt lucky. But, if you instead felt invincible for the rest of the journey, you probably wound up in a place other than the original destination. If celebration is necessary, it serves best if delayed until after the celebratory occurrence.

beartn#223846 writes:

I'm not sure we will hang 40 against the Gators. They will have a stout defense. In that game, it will b strength against strength (our offense against their defense), and our weakness against their weakness (our defense against their offense). My guess is that the winner of the battle of the weaknesses wins the game.

CroKev writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

I hope you're right because I think our defense is a lot stronger than their offense.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to tovolny:

What did you just say?

OrangePride writes:

in response to tovolny:

good grief!

luvmatersoup writes:

Alright folks....this is what luvtomatosoup was hoping to hear!!! I'm telling you guys, while we may not win the SEC East...I'm convinced we will have the best receiving core in all of the SEC. We sign us a few 3 and 4 star defensive players for next year and holy cow......we are gonna go from a descent record this year to pre season top 15 next. The BIG ORANGE is BACK!!!!!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to tovolny:

I find that when I ponder to legacy my focus becomes determental to faux pawlouie...sometimes rainbows creep in and the maximus delinte jumps for joy...yes, somewhere over the rainbow....laxation spins it web...dying to a feathered cause minioned by absolute gravity...No more big wheels...fleas the size of rats such on rats the size of cats...any day now...THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE DIAMOND DOG!!!... Well, it makes about as much sense....

voloffaith writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Man that was beautiful....I teared up....almost...same with tovolny's emancipation proclamation of sorts...freedom to "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"....ah yes to wax eloquent is a tasty morsel reserved fot govols blogosphere.....

CoverOrange writes:

in response to tovolny:

Blog to English Translation: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

govolsn3 writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

In a way I agree but if the stats come up big this year there might be a chance of losing all the offense to the NFL DRAFT and that means starting all over again. There is all kinds of talent at WR and TE that can fill a draft board up plus BRAY can be a top pick if he lights up the stats this year so watch what you wish for cause the wishing well can go dry in 2013.

laraccoon writes:

you guys talking about all the offensive firepower U T has are overlooking one thing , this offense will only go as far as Chaney guides it , and so far he hasnt proven anything in this league. i hope that changes this year but im not going to do any celebrating till he proves it on the field .

AllVol1 writes:

I want to hear that Hunter can cut. Boy's got speed and hops and these are easier to recover from ACL injury. It's the cut that is the trick. If he can truly cut again, then he will be elite again. If not he will still be good, but not the same Hunter that was scorching D's. Nothing anybody says will prove this like gameday. Praying he stays healthy through fall camp. Go Vols!

CoverOrange writes:

I'm still worried about special teams.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

If you thought Wee Willie developed an eating disorder after last season. He'll be featured on The Biggest Loser after the Vols are finished with him. (Pun and sarcasm intended)

murrayvol writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

This is where he gets his juice RMV. They all do.

PUL4VOLS writes:

I hope Hunter is all in 100%. If not we still need him at the best he has and we will have a great passing game. The clincher comes in this...can we run the ball effectively? That will be the decisive factor on some of "those" games we can win. Without a strong running effort, those will difficult to win. Two factors come into play here, blocking by O-line and hitting the holes by RBs. Any way, we will be on our way in just weeks. GO BIG ORANGE!

GONAVY writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

agree

GONAVY writes:

in response to tennrich1:

that was good :)

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

The news about Hunter is not good..........for the Vol opponents that is.

In the middle of the comments there is the familiar troll, the chronic griper....Merlot.

What an absolute waste of space, this complaining wine sipper.

Along these same thoughts, all the griping from such trolls goes to no avail. They are so irrelevant.

AllVol1 writes:

With the size and experience we have on the O-line, I simply cannot accept any possibility other than the blocking, both run AND pass, being great--not good, GREAT! Florida, Georgia, and Bama D's should be good tests for this line. This line should, however, simply dominate everyone else.

Ready for pancakes! Go Vols!

bosscat writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

What did you just say?

He who laughs last laughs best.

laraccoon writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

The news about Hunter is not good..........for the Vol opponents that is.

What an absolute waste of space, this complaining wine sipper.

ever notice how the timing of his comments coincide with shift change at McDonalds .

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Agreed! 100% Thank you for your optimism and for loving tomato soup! Everyone listen up! For you Vol fans who are not as pumped up for this season or need a confidence boost, luvtomatosoup is handing out some optimism. Get it while it lasts! Go Vols!

(This has been a public comment board service announcement from VFL_TP)

*Im always watching*

We are the Tennessee Volunteers

OrangePsyched writes:

Bray got some love from Ware on SEC media days coverage today. This year DC's will have to pick their poison. No one will be able to stop our passing attack but in order to slow it down they will allow us to run for big yardage. I would like to see more no huddle this year and wear down some teams. I can see NC State's DC coordinator wandering around after the game in Wizard of Oz style saying "Hunter, Rogers and Patterson..Oh My!" We will cause some sleepless nights for DC's throughout the season.

Vol43 writes:

in response to govolsn3:

Unfortunately that thought has crossed my mind; however, if we are this successful, perhaps our recruiting will pick up the slack, but even then they would be young. Oh well.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Hunter at 100% sounds too good to be true, but Waggner should know if his explosiveness and acceleration are anywhere close..HBTV!

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to mdvol:

"He thinks he's unstoppable" hehehehe

VOLS hang 40 on the Gators!

40? I hope it triple digits! One can only hope that if they do get a good lead they don't play to protect. Instead they play to extend, crush, kill, and destroy!!!!!!!

GO BIG ORANGE!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to tennrich1:

I'm getting a little worried, I think I understood some of that. I probably need to talk to the chaplain.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to tovolny:

Put that crack pipe down and get to school, young man

gc_scvol writes:

in response to bosscat:

He who laughs last laughs best.

Thanks. That **** hurt my head.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

MarineVol....SEMPER FI brother and THANKS for your service and dedication to our great nation!!!

Most won't understand but you will my friend because the never ending pride of being a Marine is the same type of pride of always being a Tennessee Vols fans during the good years and the bad.

Hunter being back to 100% is great news for us real fans and I'd believe a Vol DB that has to try and cover him before I'll believe anyone else.

I'd like a little PI type bootcamp drilled into our Vols kids so they learn to be more proud, learn to give 100% every play, never quit, never give up and always believe in their teammates and that they can and will Win against any foe.

A week with a couple of good DI's from our famous PI would do our Vols kids alot of good physically and mentally.

I want to see no fear and lots more smashmouth aggression from our Vols this season where they're knocking the other teams on their butts with good old Tennessee determination from our past.

I want to see our linemen on both sides of the ball knocking the snot out of the other teams and pushing them backwards consistently and showing them that Tennessee football is back and coming hard with the refuse to lose mentality.

I want our D causing fumbles for us to recover and making alot more INT's to keep the other teams shook up and scared to face our Vols D on every snap.

Tennessee football has been way down for several years but this is the year for our kids to become men on a mission and say simply...Tennessee football is BACK and we're coming hard at you so just try and stop us!!!

VFL...GBO!!!