Derek Dooley to SEC: 'You're not going to have Tennessee to kick around anymore'

Tennessee Coach Derek Dooley speaks to the media at the Southeastern Conference NCAA college football media days in Hoover, Ala. on Thursday, July 19, 2012. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

Photo by Butch Dill

Stepping to the podium for the third time at SEC Media Days as Tennessee football coach, Derek Dooley sent out a warning flare Thursday morning.

"It's been a tough four years at Tennessee and I know the SEC has enjoyed taking advantage of our tough times," he said to sprawling room of media members, "but you're not going to have Tennessee to kick around anymore."

About 15 minutes later, the press conference was over. It was far and away the shortest of any SEC coach this week.

Expected to be peppered with questions surrounding his perceived fragile job status, Dooley faced an array of questions on everything from the new BCS playoff setup, the Vols' potent receiving corps, the maturation of quarterback Tyler Bray and program's meeting with North Carolina State in the season opener.

That was it.

Not a single question was posed by the national media regarding Dooley's dreaded hot seat.

Asked by the News Sentinel before the press conference what his gameplan was, Dooley said, "I'm not here to sell. It's like that old song, 'A Little Less Conversation, A Little Less Action.' That's about where we are. Selling ain't going to do me any good. We've got to go out and win."

The Vols finished 1-7 in the league in 2011, landing in the basement of the SEC East. On Thursday, Tennessee was picked to finish fifth, ahead of Vanderbilt and Kentucky, and behind Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and Missouri, in that order.

Before speaking to national media members at the Wynfrey Hotel, Dooley was asked by Knoxville-based media if the Vols can compete for the SEC East title.

"Absolutely we can," he said. "We have a better roster than we've had since I've been here. We're more experienced, we're deeper, we're more talented. It doesn't mean that we're where we need to be, but yeah."

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Rumblefish writes:

Pretty decent presser. But as the writer noted....it was short. There was a ton of topics that are question marks for the VOLS this year. I guess the media didn't care to do their research. I realize there are 13 other teams in the league, but if anything, it showed a lack of media interest in DD.

wildmed writes:

Dooley said nothing embarrassing, thank the lord.

DalTexVol writes:

" ... you're not going to have Tennessee to kick around anymore." I like it.

Living in Dallas, I am not surprised that the National media is not obsessed with the "hot seat" issue that seems to concern that rag called the Knoxville News Sentinel so much.

Volsfan1985 writes:

We dont need alot of talking... we need alot of action on the field... its put up or shut up time!!!

Voltman writes:

in response to wildmed:

Dooley said nothing embarrassing, thank the lord.

When has he ever said something truly embarrassing that a lawyer would never say?

Volsfan1985 writes:

I liked how the espn guys predicted our schedule i really think 9- 3 is possible for this year

my3cents writes:

"A little less conversation, a little MORE action." Please proofread before you post your article.

SevenT writes:

Tennessee will continue to be "kicked around" by Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Texas A & M, Auburn

And play at their bottom feeder level with Kentucky, Vandy, Miss, Miss St.

mdvol writes:

You want action?
I think I'm entitled to it.
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE ACTION!

...or the truth

VOLS hang 100 in their first 2 games. Then drop 40 on the Gators. Start 4-0.

MetroplexMojo writes:

Hmmm...Dooley referenced Nixon's quote. Hope it's not foreshadowing. See Nixon's quote below.

"You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference"

VolBlitz writes:

Ok, I'm drinking the koolaid, so what!

I think if these two things happen, we will play in Atlanta come Dec.

1) We avoid injury to key personnel.

2) Sal's defense can stop the run and create more turnovers than busts.

Right?

Voltman writes:

in response to SevenT:

And play at their bottom feeder level with Kentucky, Vandy, Miss, Miss St.

Really? Thats funny cause last I checked Tennessee has never truly been kicked around by South Carolina, Florida or Georgia the last four years. They have all been pretty good games within a couple scores one way or the other the last four years. And plus how can you say Tennessee will coninue to get kicked around by Texas A&M and Missouri when these two teams have never even played each other to my knowledge at least in my lifetime. And its going to be a few years before Tennessee even gets to play A&M so tell me how do you figure A&M will continue to kick around Tennessee? And furthermore I think your mistaken in calling Mississippi State a bottom feeder (though they should still get beat by Tennessee this year)

my3cents writes:

in response to Volsfan1985:

Did you notice that yesterday during Florida's segment ESPN picked Tennessee to win that game? Those guys are clueless. I agree that 9-3 is possible. Maybe even 10-2 if they play a complete game against Georgia, Alabama, or S. Carolina. Even if they don't reach our hopes, I still look forward to watching Big Orange Football this season! GBO!

espender#273698 writes:

in response to my3cents:

I think the title of the song is, "A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Action". totally agree that they need to proofread before they prinT.

givehim6 writes:

in response to Volsfan1985:

A very true statement, we as UT fans have had it with the talk. I would like to think of myself as a true orange blooded fan. The Vols got a group of new coaches, got in some new players for good depth, have quality experience, no major injures, only big loss so far is Clear. This is the "must break out year"!

CCLC writes:

in response to Volsfan1985:

....so who are the 3?

UTbassdrummer writes:

He said the correct thing: That he wasn't there to campaign to keep his job, which is to win football games. That he'd rather just win football games, which easily sorts the job issue out (unless you're Phil Fulmer LOL)

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

I wasn't trying to be negative...just found the irony in his statement considering his hot-seat status.

There are plenty of "D!ck Nixons" to kick around in this room.

crappieking writes:

The only way we don't get kicked around is we get a PROVEN players coach. Not someone that was 17-20 at La Tech. Pathetic.

tnvolfan30 writes:

I think SevenT's head needs to be kicked around for a bit... :/

UTbassdrummer writes:

in response to crappieking:

Who would you hire?

my3cents writes:

in response to crappieking:

Johnny Majors was 24-30-1 at Iowa State before going to Pittsburgh and home to Tennesee. Phil Fulmer had never been a head coach before taking the helm for UT. Both of them did a pretty good job here. Give Dooley a chance and support the team!

volzrock54 writes:

in response to my3cents:

Its actually supposed to be "a lot more action." The whole second half of the quote was either stupid or mis quoted

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

in response to Voltman:

We played TAMU in the Cotton Bowl in 2004 and beat the breaks off their behinds.

my3cents writes:

in response to volzrock54:

"A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action" written by Mac Davis and Billy Strange, recorded by Elvis Presley in 1968. Properly quoted by Dooley, mis-quoted by KNS. Point is KNS needs to either listen better or hire a proofreader.

DonK37920 writes:

I like the attitude! Since everyone knew this was a 3-4 year rebuilding job when he got here, we are right on schedule. If our OL can block this year, we will be good to go. Big IF!

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

It's pretty simple...this team needs to go to a bowl if DD survives another year....IF Hunter has a good year, and IF Rogers doesn't take half the plays off like he did last year, it might happen.

CCLC writes:

in response to Voltman:

"...Thats funny cause last I checked Tennessee has never truly been kicked around by South Carolina, Florida or Georgia the last four years." Well ck again . UT is 2-10 against those three at around 18 point a game margin per game.
just sayin. Throw the Bammers in and is 2-14 with a 27 ppg margin.
just sayin'

volvann writes:

in response to tnvolfan30:

I think SevenT's head needs to be kicked around for a bit... :/

CCLC writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Fair enough... if you are pointing out the suspensions rule out all but one of those mugs shots if they attended the U of T. And I'm not entirely certain that SOD would have shown Crowell the door.... but I am being positive there. ;-)
just sayin'

just sayin'

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to crappieking:

Why not hope for the best and let in play out this season. Sal has got to be a miracle worker to get this team on the winning track. Dang, just makes me sick to see the Arkansas 60 yard runback they been showing on every SEC preview. Tyler and the offense will be SEC level. Got to win 10 to get recruiting on track. Anything less and we need to start over with a blank check for a big name coach.

Classof72 writes:

There has to be a running back. The quarterback has to commit to mastering the running offense, as well as passing. There has to be a kicking game. There has to be a center who can snap the ball. The defense has to be reasonably competent with their new scheme. None of these things were there last year. These things will tell us what kind of coach we've got.

my3cents writes:

How many players do you think read your comments? Young people love the internet! Please don't come on here using words like "we ", "us", or "VFL" and bash the team. You are negatively affecting the morale of the program! A true fan will shore up the program reguardless if they are atop the mountain or low in the valley. If you are spewing trash on here you are merely providing fodder for the trolls. I stand behind our entire program! Give it your all Vols! You have our support! GBO!

Huttdawg100 writes:

That's what we've been waiting to hear. We need swagger. Juwaun James just told Mark Packer we're going to beat Florida. This team is beginning to believe.

Snapshot writes:

in response to SevenT:

And play at their bottom feeder level with Kentucky, Vandy, Miss, Miss St.

Shut up waffEL boy, you are embarrassing yourself.

SIMSVOL writes:

No one's focused on the hot seat issue, except some yahoos on this board, because it's not an issue. Tennessee has the coach it needs for the long haul to return to the top. No one could have done any better with the empty cupboard and recruting classes that preceeded his arrival on campus. Dooley is a great coach and the leadership on this team should translate into at least a couple of surprise wins along the way this season. Go VOLS!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to tnvolfan30:

I think SevenT's head needs to be kicked around for a bit... :/

tnvolfan30,

It was a short and no nonsense press conf. Notice Hyams nor Adams ( if they were there ) had a peep to say. Adams and his history of bringing up the U K game that is.

Anyway, Volfan30, you are right about another of the trolls.

From this point on, we Vol fans need to recognize the naysayers and trolls on this site and ignore them, moving on to more important things. Enjoy the upcoming season and do not get caught up wasting our time with the following:

The following should be ignored for the good of us all:

The kid......Bodeane
Another kid, Seven T
Merlot ( A A grad )
UnprofessionalHandicapper
OleMissoftheEast - Jeff

There are some others. Just recognize these trolls and DO NOT READ their posts.......let them play with themselves ....... plus, sounding idiotic. Only fellow trolls will agree with them.

Voltman writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin. Throw the Bammers in and is 2-14 with a 27 ppg margin.
just sayin'

I already know about the record against them (dont remind me they got some work to do this season no doubt) Still though I wouldnt go so far as to say that Tenessee is and has been kicked around by these teams alot of these have been really good games that could have gone either way with just one good play or two being the difference maker (Im looking at you last year South Carolina)

volvann writes:

Note to all of you Dooley haters (which also means you hate UT), you need to remember a few things.
1. No one wanted the UT job when Dooley took the job, UT football was a mess.
2. No assistants wanted to come to UT either.
3. Dooley only had 60 scholarship players with only a handful of Juniors and Seniors.
4. In his 2nd year he was up to 72 scholarship players, again with only a handful of juniors and seniors.
5. Remember all the Kiffin recruits that bolted or caused issues (so only a handful of those left).
6. Year 1 Dooley lost 2 games after the clock expired and the NCAA has now changed the clock rules.
7. Year 2, more key injuries than anyone should have to deal with, especially with no depth.
8. Now 2012 rolls around and guess what...
a. Team is currently healthy
b. There are 85 scholarship players
c. 3 pretty good recruiting classes considering all the issues around the program. (no prima-donnas, but plenty of coachable players)
d. Finally good assistant coaches
e. UT will do very well this year

Last of all UT finally is getting a little continuity in the program, it would be idiotic to make another coaching change (players will bolt, new coaching philosophies, start all over again)....

Section A, Row 43, Seats 28-29 and hottie next to me is my wife....

SIMSVOL writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

jobrando get a clue. 10 wins maybe attainable this season. It may not. It's certainly not the threshold for defining VOLS success in 2012. As for our Coach, we have a great Coach. You don't like the Coach or the team, move along to another. Go VOLS!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to SevenT:

And play at their bottom feeder level with Kentucky, Vandy, Miss, Miss St.

The same position you play as a posting troll.

trubleoj#657755 writes:

5th? 5th in the East? Mr Lathers, Tiny, AJ, Dallas this is your wake up call. The media knows we have talent they just don't think you're tough enough.
Get pissed son and do something about it.

DonaldDevoe writes:

What an optimistic time to be optimistic. CDD I know you are reading all these posts. Lets annihalate the competition this year. No mercy!!! Rocky top you'll always be.........

mdvol writes:

Three things I don't give a damn about...

The Kentucky game.
The Hot Seat issue.
Romney's tax returns.

VOLS light up the scoreboard. Hang 100 in their first 2 games.

thevoice writes:

in response to UTbassdrummer:

Who would you hire?

I imagine most folks would come up with some names if they were paid AD-type money ($1M) and more in tune with things. I'd start with C Strong, G Patterson. I think instead of asking "who to hire" the most important question currently is "Is Dooley the best available coach out there?" I can't help but ask myself, "Is this the coach that will beat Saban, Miles, Spuppier, Richt, Petrino (when he comes back)?" Given his track record as head coach at two schools, I'd say no. I give him a pass for the first year for the conditions around which he was hired, but 1-7 in the SEC and a loss to UK does not scream "improvement." Plus recruiting relative to other SEC teams is lackluster at best. You either have to have great coaches or great players. Personally, I don't see either. But we all hope so. Not a "troll" just tired of losing.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to Volsfan1985:

Yes they picked us at 8-4 but were very washy on the Fla game and yesterday had us beating the Gators, so would be 9-3 which is achievable.

Also the ESPN guys all agreed Dooley is not on the hot seat, and talked about the situation Dooley came into and how good of a job he has done.

By the way I think 10 win season is very possible.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to my3cents:

That's the first thing I noticed too. I was going to say they apparently slipped up and put the KNS mantra in there instead of correctly quoting the coach.

jimr07 writes:

in response to UTbassdrummer:

Who would you hire?

I have been asking this same question of the nabobs of negativism forever. So far, only they don't want Dooley.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

By the way I think 10 win season is very possible.

One thing that kind of disappointed me was that when they were talking about Coach Jay Graham and potential for improvement in the running game, they never mentioned the fact that there was no dedicated running backs coach the past two years.

They should also have pointed out, with at least 2 or 3 games they said could go either way, that UT could win all of those and go 10-2, which is what I predict, because I think the Vols will beat Florida and South Carolina.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to SevenT:

And play at their bottom feeder level with Kentucky, Vandy, Miss, Miss St.

Dream on, jaggoff.