Derek Dooley hopes Vols share his enthusiasm for Milligan camp

Derek Dooley, dropping by Neyland Stadium to present a check to charity Friday, said he can't wait to load his football team on the bus for Milligan.

The Vols will conduct one week of training camp in August at Milligan College outside Johnson City while equipment is moved into the new practice and training facility on campus.

Dooley is excited about the off-campus adventure — and hopes his team is.

"The important thing,'' Dooley said, "and I'm gonna tell the team this, is everything is premised on your attitude when you get on the bus.

"You can be a negative guy and complain about everything, or you can embrace it as an awesome opportunity.''

The Vols will work at Milligan from Aug. 9-15 in preparation for the Aug. 31 season-opener against North Carolina State in Atlanta.

Milligan was selected over several options, even though it doesn't have a football team. The Vols will work on soccer fields.

Dooley made a visit last month and suggested adjustments to accommodate his team.

"Every day is going to be an adventure,'' he said, "and there will be 48 things we didn't think about that we've got to do on the fly.

"My biggest concern was the field space and the quality of the field and ability to meet and (watch) video. As long as we had those two things I could make adjustments on the dorm rooms and all that other stuff.''

How well his players adjust to "all that other stuff" will go a long way to determining the mission's success.

"What I told 'em is, 'when you come back I hope you're gonna appreciate what Tennessee gives you every day,' '' Dooley said, "because you're not gonna get that over there.

"The dorms will look a little different and the facilities will look a little different. Our guys take it for granted because this is all they know.''

Giving Back: Dooley and his wife, Allison, presented a check for $191,000 to seven East Tennessee charities in a ceremony at the stadium

Variety of Eastern Tennessee, a children's charity, in conjunction with Regal Cinemas and other sponsors, works with the Dooleys to create the Big Orange Experience fundraiser.

"I have the easy part,'' said Dooley, "I just show up at these things.

"I'm proud to use the position I've been blessed to have at Tennessee to help our local causes.''

Post-Hoover Syndrome: Dooley said the three players who attended SEC Media Days on Thursday in Hoover, Ala., were exhausted by the experience.

Tyler Bray, said Dooley, slept "the whole way down and the whole way back.''

Herman Lathers and Ja'Wuan James also represented UT to the throng of more than 1,000 media folks.

Having been through it before, Dooley said his second trip went fine.

"All the (media) guys have always been good to me and I enjoy doing it,'' he said. "I wouldn't want to do it more than one day a year.''

He'll get another media tour Monday when he visits ESPN's studios in Connecticut.

Bray On Another List: Bray was named to the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year watch list, his fourth preseason list.

The Walter Camp Football Foundation selected 50 players. The award is voted on by the 124 NCAA Bowl Subdivision coaches and sports information directors and will be announced on Dec. 6.

New Guy: Dooley said he couldn't comment on the new addition to the 2012 roster, defensive lineman Dante Phillips.

"The document is official,'' Dooley said, "but we can't really talk about it until that first press conference.''

Phillips signed with UT on Thursday, but still has to be admitted to school.

He originally signed with Florida but was not admitted.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volunatic writes:

"Having been through it before, Dooley said his second trip went fine."

Okay. How did his third trip to SEC Media Days go?

thevoice writes:

in response to Volunatic:

"Having been through it before, Dooley said his second trip went fine."

Okay. How did his third trip to SEC Media Days go?

Dooley wasn't coaching that "first" year. Remember, it was year zero.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Negavols like you don't deserve a good coach.

OrangeandWhite writes:

laraccoon writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

is that what you pray about ?

lomas98 writes:

in response to OrangeandWhite:

Good one....another example of people reading what they want it to say.

Caspian writes:

The only thing that bothers me about this article is the references to Dooley "hoping" this and that. He "hopes" the team is excited about being off campus. He "hopes" that when they get back they will appreciate what TN gives them. If it was me, I would be more inclined to "tell" them how they were going to feel and what attitude they were going to have. I have a hard time imagining Saban expressing his "hopes" to his team.

The_Post_Corrector writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

I'm not a bit surprised that TYLER BRAY slept all the way down to Birmingham and back. Besides the shell shocked looks he gave other teams in the 2nd halves of games, he's been nothing but keen at the switch his whole time, with us, in Knoxville. After he tanks NC State and beats down Florida, lets pray the Administration has more to fill like this good guy___VFL

Your post has been corrected.

mdvol writes:

Heading off for camp just like the Junction Boys!

VOLS defense will be the surprise of the SEC.

ivyvol writes:

Hope the beds are decent and they can get some sleep and that there are no pot holes in the fields.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Reality checks are needed sometimes, remember the Junction Boys..GBO!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Reality checks are needed sometimes, remember the Junction Boys..GBO!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Witch Doctor say its awesome when it hurts your feelings as this does. Witch Doctor say na na na na na na! lol
Bones never lie.

laraccoon writes:

in response to Caspian:

i felt the same way when i read " the adventure " who knows .

ReVolver writes:

Good idea for this camp. Build some esprit de corps.

ReVolver writes:

in response to Caspian:

Because telling 18-21 year olds how to feel works great.

Dooley can't 'hope' something works well? Seriously, people look for anything to latch on to to complain about. If it wasn't that, you'd be nitpicking something else.

gc_scvol writes:

You trolls have your fun while you can. This season will be GREAT. You will be even more miserable than you are now, and I shall LMAO at all of you. GBO...VFL...

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Witch Doctor agree! Witch Doctor sure they sit around in their Shag carpet living rooms watching 25" tv's fussing about the "Beatles"! Witch Doctor say they dont call them miserable for nothing. lol
Bones never lie.
Witch Doctor say they wont be logging into "AOL" this fall..haha

movol53 writes:

I'm so sick of the negative "Vol Fans". Yes, I'm not happy with where we are either but I do know that no matter who we had hired (even Saban) someone would not be happy. Some of you wanted the new Fla HC Mushcamp; how's that working out for them? And some of you wanted the Wake Forest coach who is now at Miami and look what's in today's news. We all wish that it would happen overnight - - but the reality is Dooley was starting from almost zero and on top of that having to play the toughest schedule (almost) while trying to recruit against those same teams who happen to be at or near the very top of college football right now. I dare any of you "arm chair" head coaches to name anyone that realistically would have take the job Dooley stepped into. Also, if Dooley is gone in just two or three years, as some of you demand, just what would that look like to new recruits??? Some of you will say "if UT gets a "BIG NAME" coach then they will just come to us?" Really do you truly believe that? Yes, Saban starting winning in year two but only after some hard losses (LA Monroe at home) and he DID have much more on the cupboard than Dooley had upon his arrival. One last statement for the "negative vol fans" I will support the VOLS no matter who the Head Coach is; even if YOU become the Head Coach!!!! And I ask one question: when Dooley gets fired just who do YOU want to replace him? Maybe the head coach at Ark. State? No can't take him as some would say he has no "BIG TIME" college coaching experience. Who else? I've heard John Gruton (spelling) mentioned and from everything that I've read that is not going to happen.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to movol53:

Jim Grobe is the coach at WF and Al Golden came from Temple..Just sayin'

bigfan865 writes:

Thank you movol53, well said!

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

I do like the logic of going to Milligan. After seeing the "facilities" there our guys will know they don't want to join NuKeese at BFE University.

huntined#565710 writes:

Take them up to Watauga Lake and let them breath a lot of that CARTER COUNTY AIR and that alone should get them 2-3 extra wins!!!

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

I hope the 2012 season is like youth soccer at Milligan College.. nobody gets hurt and everybody gets a trophy as a winner.

govolsn3 writes:

I live beside the Milligan campus and to say the least this could turn into a huge distraction. I love the fact that they are coming but what I don't like is there is no security what so ever here. No fence around the perimeter and people will flock to see what is going on and trying to get access to the practices. It would take hundreds of security people to surround all the access areas to the soccer fields, and this place is really small. I will say the grounds keeping staff here has worked the feilds in the best shape that I have ever seen here and they mow it twice a week. It looks like carpet out there. I just hope that I can get home of the evenings cause I am afraid that this can turn into a "CIRCUS" more than a camp. GBO

SevenT writes:

Double D and his football camp? Who does he think he is kidding this is a 6-6 team at best.

powert#205805 writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

The scary thing is the schedule is so weak that Two Star may get to stay another year and further decimate the program. This guy is the Barack Obama of football coaches.

I hear some sheep say we should support him at all cost. That's fine if you don't care about winning anymore. I want to see this program get back to where it should be and blind support for this loser won't do it.

GONAVY writes:

Actually, I think this travel thing will have its merits. No distractions...no "cushy" surroundings. Practicing on soccer fields. Time to bond. I may sound a little melodramatic...but this might pay dividends. Something's telling me this might be a surprising year for UT.

BolivrBob writes:

I don't really understand why Philips did not qualify at Florida after being cleared by the Clearing House but this is a fantastic get. At 6-6 and 330 pounds, he may be the missing link and perfect to center up Sal's defense. I believe we will be very tough to reckon with this year. Many are picking NC State to win the ACC this year and should be a terrific game. We were early 7 point dogs. If we can win it, it will set the stage for a great season. The best receiving core in the country against the best secondary in the country. Dang, I can't wait! Go Vols!

BolivrBob writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Check that. Just read where we are 6.5 point faves

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to powert#205805:

Who pissed in your cheerios this morning.

GO VOLS!!!

movol53 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Jim Grobe is the coach at WF and Al Golden came from Temple..Just sayin'

Thanks for fixing my mix up; don't know why I confuse those two.

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

WARNING! Nasty_Rat_of_the_week is a possible troll and is at it again! Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week has diarrhea of the mouth and is spreading it! Please be aware that his negativity and stupidity is an infectious disease that will cause wide spread doubt and depression! Avoid at all cost!

Note: A coach is responsible for developing players but it takes the players who WANT to succeed that will make this team great. Without the 100% commitment from the players, a coaches job is 10x harder. Don't judge Dooley until after the dust settles. Only then will it reveal his true abilities. Last chance Dooley...... Last chance players. Lets make it happen! GO VOLS!

This is a public service comment board announcement from the VFL-TP

*Im always watching*

We are the Tennessee Volunteers (Charlie Daniels)

rtrchatt writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

NCS has about as much a chance of winning the ACC as UT winning the SEC. I WILL take any and all to pay LOL....

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Since the article only says Bray slept on the trip down and back, I can only assume that you've been creeping around watching Coach Dooley in his sleep. I'm worried that when we lose Coach Dooley, it won't be because he was fired or resigned, it will be becuase you kidnapped him out of his bedroom while he was sleeping. I can only imagine the depraved things you dream of doing once you have him in your lair.

All_Coiled_Up_and_Hissin writes:

Agreed whole-heartedly. Negativity has no place in the upcoming football season or upon the Vol fan board.

Let's all just stay positive and show good sportsmanship, will we?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Rumor has it, and this is the only thing I've read anywhere so far, that it wasn't a matter of him not qualifying. It was a matter of Florida over-signing -- they didn't have enough scholarships available. Muschump mis-managing his roster.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to powert#205805:

I have seen almost no "blind support" for Coach Dooley. Those of us supporting him do so because we support the team, and because we are NOT blind to the circumstances. If you have the ability to see and understand cause and effect, then you either support the coach, or you're an idiot.

The anti-Dooley brigade (almost exclusively trolls, on this site at least) oppose him blindly.

Which are you?

If you're agreeing with Supid_Screen_Name_of_the_Week, then you're a troll by association. He is a very well known troll, who is on about his 100th username because of all the times he has been banned from the site.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion..However calling CDD a charlatan is absurd and uncalled for..When did CDD ever pretend to know something he was not versed in?? Did he cry out in public in order to sway Hamilton to hire him? If I remember correctly Hamilton asked to interview CDD on the recommendations of Muskrat and Patterson. Both were coaching at Texas schools and had no vested interest in the SEC or reasons to sabotage UT..So, have a nice warm glass!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

yep. correct...govols

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

He's a KNS troll.hehe

lafollette37766 writes:

Maybe a week away from the K-town media and using barebones facilities will light a fire under this team. It is for sure that Dudley Doright Dooley is having trouble doing that.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

I'm not picking them to win it either SMART GUY but some are. They finished very strong last year including a rout over Clemson. Glennon threw 11 TDs his last three games. They will be a good team and it should be a good game.

Vo2Vol writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

This guy is no VFL. He is a pestilence.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

OMG! Now this bag of Summers Eve is an expert on ACC teams. Go down to the WalMart and look at alabubba's 47 national championship trophies.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

You still on heere running your fly trap? Why don't you go back to where you came frrom AL, AU, FL. NC State or where ever, your teams blog is a post there and leave the BO to BO Fans. You dirty alright, as not taking a bath. Now get the H off of here and stay off. Nasty_Troll_of_the_Week

lstbodeanvol writes:

Looking forward to watching these WRs & RBs this year as well as a Bray with a healthy throwing hand...fire em up Jay Graham GO VOLS !!!!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Well...if it isn't yet another incarnation of the old feeble-mined narcissist, Jeffy Flowers. Sybil has nothing on you. She only had 13 personalities. I have lost count on you. You really need professional help old man. Everyone here hates your guts anyway, so you might as well just put your real disgraced name. GO DOOLEY!!!

PS...Flowers you are NOT a VFL. Perhaps a MFFL.

Juzkruzin writes:

They have some good hills there to go on a road rally and it is also a good way to get then "aired up" for the fourth quarter this year and keep their hands off their knees sucking wind. That is what has beat us in the second half the past two years, not in shape for 60 minutes of football. Understand you were short on resources, but looks like you got enough this year to rotate and if the players doesn't want to get in condition, the pine will make them change their minds.

gerwmor writes:

So sick of people who claim to be Vol fans. The references to Junction Boys reminded me of something. I was living in Alabama when Stallings arrived. Early his first year, the joke going around was as follows: "A judge was deciding who a little hoy would live with when his parents got a divorce. The little boy said he didn't want to live with his mother because she beat him. The judge asked him about living with his father. The little boy said no because his father beat him. When the judge asked who he wanted to live with the little boy said 'Gene Stallings. He doesn't beat anybody.'" So would you guys take Gene Stallings over Dooley? Stallings walked in with a great situation compared to Dooley. If UT is not 8 and4 with a decent Bowl game, OK. It's over for Dooley. My money is one this outcome or better.