Now at USC, Renaldo Woolridge still singing Vols' praises

Swiperboy's latest release 'Vol Me Maybe' talks about wearing orange around L.A.

Tennessee's Renaldo Woolridge, left, fights for position against Kentucky.

Tennessee's Renaldo Woolridge, left, fights for position against Kentucky.

Former Tennessee basketball player Renaldo "Swiperboy" Woolridge is at Southern Cal for his final season but that hasn't stopped the 6-9 forward from continuing to sing about the Vols.

His latest release, "Vol Me Maybe" talks about hoping that Trojans' football coach Lane Kiffin, who left Tennessee after one season, sees him "with all of this orange on," about wearing orange around Hollywood and USC's campus and about taking the meaning of "VFL" (or "Vol For Life") to heart.

The video can be seen on Woolridge's blog as well.

Note: Some lyrics should be considered not appropriate for younger listeners.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

UTbassdrummer writes:

Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz. That guy did a good job appearing to be a legitimate rapper by taking advantage of Knoxville's loyalty to UT by doing Vol parodies of famous songs. Mostly, he was somewhere between a waste of a scholarship and a distraction. Now that he lives in LA, where the real rappers live, he better start playing ball. His parodies aren't going to hold much water there, and SURELY Vol fans aren't going to continue to VOLUNTEER to be his easy source of attention. We gave him an audience, a place to work out and he gave us a slow jam called "I would never leave you like Kiffin" which he certainly, definitely did.

Volunatic writes:

Best of luck to him, unless the Vols play SoCal in the postseason.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

ut should be proud that he was once a vawl.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

Love it!!!!! You go Swiper!!!!

Keep telling Hollywood about us!

brod writes:

if he is such a vol fan, then why did he leave the program?

Ironcity writes:

in response to UTbassdrummer:

He was pretty much told to go by the present coaching staff if he wanted to play more. Not sure what your issue is with Woolridge. He graduated he played hard and never got in trouble. If every Vol represented themselves in the manner he did I would consider the program a success.

GreerVol22 writes:

mediocre ball player, mediocre rapper. Get your degree son, and stay out of prison.

Jediphysics writes:

Right on. I'll take him over pot smoking gun toting b-ballers or cheeseburger thieving footballers. Wish his performances could've matched his potential but will never regret him being a Vol.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to UTbassdrummer:

The guy is spreading The Orange on the west coast. Hes a UT grad. and a VOL for life. Stayed out of trouble and I will never forget his performance against KY last season.

SO what is your problem?

BO VOLS!!!

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

PHAT people always act like that on this board. I'm just used to it. Real UT fans like Swiper no doubt. He left because he didn't really get to play that much. he should play plenty at USC. Plus he graduated so he's basicly just going back home.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to UTbassdrummer:

His father was sick and finally died recently , i think that was part of the transfer .

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm gonna miss swiping at Woolridge. Well I suppose I still can. But I really liked the guy. He has so much potential as a player but never (in my mind) seemed to care. His rapping is a dime a dozen. Lot's o rappers. Even though I'm a musician I can't claim any expertise in the rapping genre. I DO claim an eye for bball talent (right or wrong). He has the natural ability and athleticism. If I was NBA I'd give him a shot just on that alone.lol But I guess there are too many out there to do so. Just like rappers. Overseas he'll make it as a bball player AND a rapper. USC?? I guess it's home for him but I don't know why he doesn't go overseas now. Maybe the talent levels are to improved over there for him to find a team. Maybe he really does want a degree.

My real question though is why doesn't KNS have more info on our current players and staff. In all sports. Positive info. what players think about things maybe. I'm not a journalist but I don't consider most the articles on here and elsewhere journalism. Unless you consider gossip journalism. This wasn't a bad article I'd just rather read about the team. UT's that is. I could care less about anything USC. trojans or gamecocks. But at least gamecocks would be SEC.

samvol writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

idiot comment from an idiot person

samvol writes:

Good luck young man....

Col26ca writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Hey, DH For 1 he got his degree that is why he can play at USC this year & 2 he has never been a behavior problem. I'll take his attitude about UT over your HUTA attitude any day. Now good day to you.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

How difficult is it to get a correct spelling of a name? It's Kiffin. You would think a "journalist" could spell.

GreerVol22 writes:

so I'm an idiot and I have a HUTA attitude...whatever that is.

This guy wasn't ever good enought to play much at UT...Why? He was more worried about his other career than putting in the effort needed to be great...like his Dad.

and as for the prison comment...if he stays in the biness you gotta like his chances...

makelemonade writes:

Underachieving player, good rapper, excellent young man. We wouldn't have beaten Kansas without you, that makes your entire scholarship worth it. Stay VFL SwiperBoy.

PureOrange writes:

Some people just cannot stand anything positive. This story was a plus for UT, but as you can clearly see by some comments, we have idiots who cannot accept it and go on. They feel compelled to make some stupid remark.

It has gotten very old, and it is disgusting to think that although we have so many positive fans, some who make the most noise give the appearance that we have an overabundance of jerks as part of the Orange Nation.

It would be nice if those people would dedicate themselves to supporting Penn State.

Razzle writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

so I'm an idiot and I have a HUTA attitude...whatever that is.

You don't know what HUTA is? Where you been man, the cotton field? LOL

claiborneh writes:

Yeah yeah...(someone's Dad's Mercedes in background with open doors) yeah yeah...heh heh (bite your lip, act like your looking at something besides camera, now back to camera) uh huh, uh yuh yeah yeah ( campus girl on the sidewalk told she would be on a video looks at you with sexy eyes)...yeah yeah, heh, yeah I make up a sentence loop a sample that ain't mine, I say another sentence make the last word rhyme, yeah yeah

VictorKruger writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

True journalism, at least as far as this middle-aged man once knew it, is dead. The "it's be better to first than to be accurate" attitude on breaking news has existed for quite some time now, and now some writers can't even put together a coherent headline. It's inevitable that what I call "internet spellings" of surnames creep into articles. </rant>

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to PureOrange:

as Steve Martin would say, "Well excuuuuuuuuse me!" If your looking for an apple pie opinion and a butt full of sunshine then this isn't the story. If he was such and awesome guy, and has an awesomely orange glo about him, then why is he in SoCal? He is doing UT no favors.

Bigger_Al writes:

Best of Luck to Swiper Boy. I just wonder why USC given that O'Neill is a defense first coach, and Ronaldo is an offense first player.

OrangeDew writes:

in response to brod:

if he is such a vol fan, then why did he leave the program?

IIRC, his eligibility here was up.

UTbassdrummer writes:

in response to dwolfcreek#397971:

Absolutely fair. Transferring home bc of his dad's death is totally a different story, and makes sense. I would never want to put myself in league with the chronically negative "idiots" on this board, and am typically a positive poster.
During his time at UT, I found his self-promotion to Vol fans as a rapper vs his performance as a vol athlete (the reason he was here) intensely frustrating, lopsided, and obnoxious. If he's still trying to play in the NBA, I truly hope he gets to. I just always really wanted him to play ball for us. It's clear that he's not a bad kid and I never implied that and I think that "stay out of prison" comment was completely moronic. It's very nice that he didn't shrug us off in LA. I just wanted him to "ball so hard" here (as the rappers say), and I hope he does now. Succeeding in the hip-hop entertainment industry is so much further away from him than the NBA, and it'd be sad to see the attainable dream fall by the wayside. When you're a millionaire basketball player, you can rap all day.

I apologize for letting my frustration lead to a negative comment that lead to the kind of ugly, typical GVX comments that I traditionally scold.

Ironcity writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

He is in So Cal because it was in UTs and his best interest. Not sure why you don't get it.UT really did not want him for a 5th year. SoCal is a perfect fit for him. He will do fine their but I think its pretty neat that he still bleeds Orange. You on the other hand seem only concerned that he did not live up to your bloated expectations. I would imagine you would have gotten use to that by now since most players do not live up to the fans bloated expectations.

ellerbee123 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Amen! Graduated is the operative word here.

in response to Ironcity:

Gotta say, Iron, I totally get why Renaldo might want to be back in LA. I totally get that, despite the fact he hit every mark set for him as a decent student/citizen, he might not feel in tune with a predominantly younger team and a vastly different philosophy than the one he was recruited into. What I DON'T get is why he would go to USC under Kevin O'Neill! Maybe he can serve as the opponent's best player on the scout squad. If Renaldo couldn't or wouldn't play defense to CCM's standard, why would he even want to try to play it to O'Neill's standard? Oh, well; not a major concern of mine, though I wish him well.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

He graduated from UT, he is attending graduate school at USC. In this case he gets a rare 5th year of elgibility because of his academic status. It's a new rule put in a few years ago. It's very common to go to a different graduate school than a 4 year school. It's not like he really even transferred, he graduated and moved on. That shows how selfish people are anyway when they would rather someone stay at UT and sit on a bench than go to a team that rarely plays UT and get to start. It's not like he went to Florida or Kentucky he went to one of the worst basketball programs in the country. He's close to home, he get's to continue his education, and he get's to actually play college basketball like his father.

Gosh some of you are so stupid!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say keep laying down those tracks. Witch Doctor say talented young Swipe got a big future no matter the venue.
Bones never lie.
VFL

TopTenn writes:

Greervol22 has no knowledge about the basketball program. Woolridge had no eligibllty left to play for the Vols.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to UTbassdrummer:

The reason he was here was to get an education and he did that by being good enough to get a scholarship. He has also learned about business and the music industry. My bet is he will become a very wealthy very great rep of UT. And that's very good for him

Ironcity writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The style of game ONeal plays will allow him to play on the perimeter where he will be better. ONeal teams only need a PG to handle the ball. Not much motion in the offense. Woolridge will actually do well out their. The team won't because O neal is an awful coach but his style will suit Woolridge for one year.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to TopTenn:

Top, sorry man, 3 different stores on this very site all say he was granted a 5th year medical extension. So tell me again who has no knowledge about the basketball program?

He had a 5th year, he chose to become a Trojan, and IMO, which doen't mean squat, will be remembered more as a character than a ball player.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Witch Doctor say he wasnt offered a fifth year..remember John Fields that played his fifth year with us? Witch Doctor say we had no schollys left. Witch Doctor say if you dont like someone or something making stuff up to make it "work" doesnt help..its the internet..its Google..its the law
Bones never lie.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

WD, if he was any good, he would still be here, scholly or no.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Have you heard the garbage they call rap today? Tell me when Jay z stops repeating the line "New York, yeah, yeah", on a song they play all the time for football and baseball and tv shows, that song is nothing but garbage and he is taking it to the bank daily.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

word.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

Made me smile, Renaldo...seeing that you're still a VFL. I appreciate your heart and really wish you the best.

in response to Ironcity:

I'll be interested to see how it comes out, though I don't expect to get too many USC games on my cable package. If O'Neill tells him to keep firing them up there and not worry too much about defense and rebounding, then I guess Swipe will be OK on offense. I just don't remember O'Neill giving much of anyone that kind of pass.

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

No one who knows me will ever confuse me with anyone who knows anything about rap/hip-hop music in general, but you might be selling Jay Z short in some key ways. First, what most old white people--like me, for sure, and maybe you--think of in that genre is intricate spoken words offered at a rapid pace, often by multiple voices, and often about crime, sex, drug use, flashing ill-gotten wealth, etc. However, an equally large sub-field consists of beat-heavy dance music in which the lyrics are often repetitive and beside the point, of which the song you cited would seem to be an example. Jay Z is a legitimate talent in both types of music, IMHO, though I would not consider myself a "fan" of that genre in general.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

I'm OUT of here for awhile just like so many of our real Tennessee fans are.

This IS a Tennessee fans site but we DO HAVE real UT fans that ARE destroying this site as much at the haters/trolls/frauds are doing.

When you give the attention seekers the attention they so badly need then you ARE as much a part of the problem as they are.

It's sad that our real Tennessee fans ARE helping to destroy this site by being too stupid to simply IGNORE the losers/Liars/haters/trolls.

Hundreds of real UT fans used to come here almost daily and talk Tennessee football but most are gone now or never make a post and I'm going to join those loyal Tennessee fans and vanish too because many of you HAVE given away this Vols site by refusing to IGNORE the phooey and choosing to play with the phooey like little children.

I hope KNS shuts down this horrid site so that our recruits can't read the baby phooey that's thrown back and forth by such blathering idiots.

When moron attention seekers ARE totally 100% ignored then they WILL vanish and go elsewhere to get their attention need fulfilled but this site is doomed because they're getting more attention here than their own families show the Losers.

REAL UT fans come here to try and find some info and to talk Vols football with other real Orange blooded Tennessee fans and NOT to read page after page of childish, immature garbage of stupid people feeding the attention seeking trolls.

Congrats so-called Vols fans...You DID give away OUR UT site so the Liars/Losers/Trolls have Won because you insisted on letting them win and take over OUR Tennessee site.

FACT is that CDD is doing as good a job as any coach could have done considering the total disaster he was brave enough to take on.

FACT is our roster and coaching staff HAS gotten better under CDD.

FACT is that I'll be buried wearing Tennessee Big Orange clothes but I will NOT come here and post anymore to watch morons feed trolls and give away our UT site.

Goodbye everyone.