Derek Dooley says Vols have contacted Penn State players

Derek Dooley comments on recruiting Penn State players

Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley said Tuesday that Tennessee has been in contact with Penn State football players.

"We've analyzed (Penn State's) roster," said Dooley, who was the featured speaker at the Downtown Rotary Club. "We've had some communication with some of the players."

He wouldn't specify what players UT had contacted.

Penn State was placed on NCAA probation Monday. Because of the severe sanctions, Penn State players can transfer to any school in the country and be eligible immediately.

UT benefited from such a situation two years ago when Southern California was placed on NCAA probation. The Vols signed defensive lineman Malik Jackson, who became an All-SEC player and was drafted by the Denver Broncos this spring.

"We were way ahead of every school (in the recruitment of Jackson)," Dooley said. "We don't have the luxury of being out in front because of the enormity (of the Penn State situation)."

UT's situation also is different now than when it signed Jackson, according to Dooley.

"No. 1, I feel good about the players we've signed," he said. "We're not desperate."

The most sought-after Penn State player is likely to be running back Silas Redd. He rushed for 1,241 yards last season as a sophomore and would have two years of eligibility remaining.

Redd's father told the Harrisburg Patriot-News on Tuesday that his son has not made a decision as to where he will play this fall.

While UT returns 19 starters from last season, it doesn't have an established running back. Tauren Poole, UT's leading rusher in 2011, has graduated.

The Vols' leading returning rushers are Marlin Lane, who rushed for 280 yards last season as a freshman, and Rajion Neal, who rushed for 134 yards and also caught 13 passes for 269 yards last season.

John Adams is a senior columnist. Follow him at http://twitter.com/johnadamskns.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Bigger_Al writes:

What a big difference it would make if an established, future NFL RB were to join the team now. Maybe a Safety, DL. This is going to be wild to watch with only two weeks before camps start.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Might I add...A kicker who can kick

graphpro#231211 writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Go away rat turd. If you can do a better than Dooley then send your resume to the UT Athletic Department. Either provide a solution or shut the h3ll up and go cheer on Vandy.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Might I add...A kicker who can kick

Amen sister, I wonder how many spots UT has left after the Phillips kid joined.

orangesherbert writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Should Dooley lead the team to a good bowl this year,what say you then? You can't lose any credibility since you have none to lose. Perhaps you can find another site to share your words of vast wisdom...maybe Peabody U. to our west.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Amen sister, I wonder how many spots UT has left after the Phillips kid joined.

Even if UT is at 85 scholarships, see below from ncaa.org.

Additionally, the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limits for programs to which these football student-athletes transfer, provided they reduce proportionately in the next year. For example, the limit is 25 new scholarships per year to a total of 85 scholarships. If the limits are waived in 2012-13 to accommodate one Penn State student-athlete who wishes to transfer to a particular school already at the limits, in 2013-14 the school will be limited to 24 new scholarships and 84 total scholarships

DonK37920 writes:

I'd like to see them get a LB. I doubt the RB would come here but he would be the starter from day 1 if he did. I'm sure everyone else would make room for him too. We have room for at least 2 more players but could take more because there is always some attrition after summer school and during August. A couple LBs and/or the kicker would be nice but really just getting one transfer that can become a starter would be a major accomplishment for the staff.

dirty_don writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Amen sister, I wonder how many spots UT has left after the Phillips kid joined.

Speaking of Phillips, was there ever a mention of him signing on this site. If there was i did not see it

born2ride writes:

Penn State's best RB is Silas Redd and he is probably headed to USC.

Kiffin strikes again.

The_Ron_Burgundy writes:

in response to dirty_don:

Whose Phillips?

OrangePride writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Might I add...A kicker who can kick

I am anxious to see this new kid (Bullock, I think) and what he can do. I saw him last year in HS and he was impressive to say the least. But the SEC is the bigtime and the transition is not easy. And I do agree with your wish list...."a kicker who can kick!" We CAN NOT again lose 15-20 yards of field position every time we exchange punts. And on that topic........we need to MAKE the FG's inside 40 yards like they were automatic. We are likely to be in a lot of close games, so I believe this is a key component to a successful 2012 campaign for these Vols! So GO VOLS!!

NashvillePreds writes:

Waaaayyyy of topic, but just got the email, and am pumped!
For the .008% of people on here who care: The Preds match Shea Weber's offer sheet, and he will remain our captain.
$110 million over the next 14 years!
Go Preds
Go Vols

gillblog writes:

Ok, I don't get it; these PSU players are allowed to transfer and play immediately, but which school is going to pay their tuition, etc, PSU or the destination school?

OrangePride writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

I know I shouldn't be, but I am constantly astounded by your totally baseless stupidity. Based on your comment, "....at least at PS they'll have an excuse," one would think "excuses" are what this kid is looking for in his future. Uhhhhh, I think NOT. But, just so you know, he would come here because he will play in front of BIG crowds every week; home AND away. The SEC is the premier conference. Tennessee has a need at the position and he would perhaps step in as the featured back right away. Our backs coach (JG) has as much or more street cred than just about anyone in the SEC. Finally, just about everyone who knows anything about football has ranked Tennessee as one of the most promising teams on the horizon. As such, he knows he could be a real difference maker....can someone say NFL? So you can take your negative, moronic opinions elsewhere......and the sooner the better. GBO!

volmania97 writes:

in response to TennesseeTonyT:

The only problem we have is so call fans as you. Why don't you pull for another team and keep your unwanted comments to yourself!

Snapshot writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

I feel the same way. Just remember that bama, fla., ga. sc and all the others are doing the same thing. UT can't sit there and do nothing if there is a player that can help them and is going to leave, while the rest of the SEC is recruiting them.

lomas98 writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

I know what you are saying, but unfortunately without trying to cherry pick some of their roster you will be left behind because all the other coaches will be doing it. While the public probably thinks every player is for the taking, that will not be the case. There will be a lot of players who stick it out because they love the university. For the ones that don't and will look elsewhere, TN does have a lot to offer. We need just a few players to possibly get over a hump and depending on position, they could get plenty of playing time at TN. We even have a success story in Malik Jackson.

The one thing I do have a problem with is the NCAA allowing a school that was just on probation with scholarship limitations like USC to take kids from this situation. Has nothing to do with Kiffin being there. Leaving one school that just got a bowl ban to possibly go to another one that just came off a bowl ban and reduced scholarships just doesn't seem right.

Southland writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

this kind of rant is typical of a Tennessee person that pulls for bama just so people will not like him which they probably dont already

mountainbrook writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Even if UT is at 85 scholarships, see below from ncaa.org.

I hope that schools on probation like USC are not allowed to take advantage of this.

OrangePsyched writes:

As CDD stated I'm happy with the players that we have. We would be adding depth but possibly affecting chemistry. The RB is very good but anyone I don't know. I see the rat has spoken. Someone give him some cheese or dcon.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to mountainbrook:

Sounds like USC is going to get the best of the bunch.....

VolinCalif writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Might I add...A kicker who can kick

You have that right. Penn St's kicker is one of the best in CFB. If we could pick up the RB and Kicker we would be a top four team right away.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Might I add...A kicker who can kick

Ooooo, indeed! Or a punter that can punt.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

How can you claim "VFL" when you don't even have the nerve to support your team? Go away!

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Your VFL must mean "Vulture For Life".... I know what a VFL really is, and you sir are not a "VOL FOR LIFE"...shoo fly don't bother me....from a REAL VFL!!!

OrangePride writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Sounds like USC is going to get the best of the bunch.....

Maybe, maybe not. Going from one school on probation to a second school on probation does not seem to make a lot of sense when a great athlete has limited time remaining and is looking for exposure and NFL possibilities. So, unless someone had their mind set on USC, there is room for others to make a very solid arguement for their services. Anyway, I agree with an earlier post; we don't need to hover around the PS locker room like buzzards. But...if there's a blue-chipper available who could really help us, then let's not let others just swoop in and take the player without a fight.

OrangePride writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Ohhhhh....so your "rational point" is that USC has virtually won the NC and Tennessee has already finished last in the SEC? That's rational? It's really pathetic how you support everyone BUT Tennessee and then have the b's to put VFL near your name. But we will see just where this all turns out for my Vols......in the meantime, yep, please pass the Dool-aide. Tastes pretty good, too.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to RockyTop1_old:

Jeffy's VFL begins with Very and ends with Lame. I'll let you guess what the middle word is....

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to OrangePride:

USC does not have a bowl ban this year. See link for why Silas will end up at USC. They have fewer running backs than TN....

springtx_vol writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Even if UT is at 85 scholarships, see below from ncaa.org.

I think you are only partially correct. If a school were at 85 total scholarships and had signed 25 in 2012, then accepted 2 PSU athletes to get to 87 total and 27 in 2012, you would be limited to 23 next year regardless of how many players left. You would still be limited to 85 total scholarships.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to lomas98:

The latest that I have heard is that the NCAA has not ruled on whether schools currently under scholarship limits (like USC and Ohio State) can take advantage of this. The reporters that I listened to yesterday were leaning towards no, they can't.

willblitz4bacon writes:

Here Kitty kitty kitty
Here kitty kitty kitty
Here kitty kitty kitty

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

I cut and paste that from the NCAA site. I do not know if the NCAA has issued any formal guidance yet for the schools that will go over 85. I believe the NCAA should allow each school to sign 1 PSU player without worrying about next year's total. I understand the basis behind reducing next year's total below 85 if that school signs 10 PSU players.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

douche

Very f@%$*&# Lame!!!!!!

VolzsFan writes:

Silas, the starting RB at Georgia just left. They are a balanced team. You are what is between them and Atlanta again. See you in Athens. If you come to Knoxvegas you will be blocking for pass happy Chaney and getting about 8 draw plays per game. You will go from a high draft pick to another player. Stay away.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to gillblog:

In a sea of stupidity, this post is officially the dumbest I have ever read.

Did USC pay for Jackson? When a player transfers, does the team he left or the team he went to pay the scholly? Is gillblog personally paying the bill? This question is so dumb on so many levels.

Forest, have a great day!!

Colliervol writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Please refrain from using the term VFL. You haven't earned that title. The closest you've been to a VFL is your brother and I'm pretty sure he's disowned you by now.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Hey Rat, Layne was favored in 9 games at UT. He won 7. Great coach? I guess we will see how well he does in that mid major conference this year. All I know is that the type of things the NCAa just did to PSU is what would have happened at UT had your boy stayed in Knoxvegas.

What is that on your chin? Have you been tossing Kiffen's salad again??

VolzsFan writes:

Regardless of what DD can do, remember he was following Kiffen who destroyed the program with horrific recruiting and running off 44 players and commitments. Kiffen inherited a program at USC from whats his name. Advantage Kiffen.

I_Bleed_Orng writes:

I LOVE IT!!! Wish I had noticed it myself!

Nasty Rat has been closing his posts with VFL. A term and program started by Derrick Dooley!!!

Dooley owns owns yo' punk ##s BIIOOTCH!!!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Penn State's best RB is Silas Redd and he is probably headed to USC.

Kiffin strikes again.

So he can watch from the sideline

papavol writes:

RB/PK... GET IT DONE!

Noogaorange writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Stupid post. You need to change your name to A hole. GBO

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

Rational thought? you must be kidding. You of all people have no business judging others. You have the market for stupidity cornered.GO VOLS and go away J.F.

spvol writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

BINGO!!! I can read between the lines.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Why are we all up in the air over a lot of players which probably will NOT become Vols? If so, great, if no, we go on any way. This is another bunch of stirred up nonsense. How much more before the season starts?

Vo2Vol writes:

Tennessee will be better this year because we will be a year older. Despite what the RAT says, and some of the other funny guys (or trolls)on this blog, experience does matter in this league. We were like a JV team last year with our best 2 underclassmen hurt. This is not an excuse but fact. We may lose 4 games this season, but we will be more competitive in those games because we have more depth. I personally believe we will slip up on somebody that we are not suppose to beat. The attitude is better right now than it has been in several years. Our team is angry and looking to regain its pride. Coach Dooley and his staff can coach and we will see a much better product. Of course, to some on here when we lose, and we will, he will be the turd because that is how armchair quarterbacks react.

2Geezy writes:

Do we really want players from the Big 10??? I mean if they were so good they would've been in the SEC to begin with. GBO!!!!!

tennesseeduke writes:

in response to The_Ron_Burgundy:

Whose Phillips?

DT Dante Phillips who Florida let go from the 2012 signing class and has been accepted to UT and eligible to play this fall!

GBO

VolGrad writes:

in response to Nasty_Rat_of_the_Week:

You're comparing Kiffin taking a USC job where many recruits trample each other to go with Dooley walking in to an almost bare slate of talent and experience after the Kiffin midnight train west...? Despite the probation and loss of a few players, the core of USC's talent was relatively untouched. Dooley was left with 66 scholarship players. You call that "making excuses." I call it "real analysis." You just have a beef with Dooley. Else, you may be on planet Earth with the rest of us, but your reasoning skills are out to lunch.

I don't drink the Dool-Aide, cause that isn't what I grew up on. But I will admit that I see through orange-colored glasses. And, I am here on Rocky Top to stay. That is all.

Go Big Orange! Beat the 'pack!!!