Bruce Pearl hired by ESPN, will stay in Knoxville

Former Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Former Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl.

Bruce  Pearl

Bruce Pearl

Former Tennessee men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl has been hired as an analyst by ESPN.

"I'm really excited about it,'' Pearl said. "I think I can bring some passion and knowledge to the broadcasts.''

Pearl was hired Monday along with former Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg. ESPN also announced current analyst Jalen Rose will join its weekly "College GameDay" show.

Pearl, who was away from basketball last season while serving the first year of a three-year show cause penalty handed down by the NCAA last August, will serve as a studio analyst throughout the season and will call select games from various conferences, according to an ESPN release.

"This announcement allows me and my family to stay in Knoxville and maintain my position as the Vice President of marketing for the H.T. Hackney Company,'' Pearl said.

Pearl also will continue to do his Sirius XM Radio show in addition to making appearances on ESPN Radio.

Pearl, who was dismissed from UT on March 21, 2011, on account of the cumulative effect of an NCAA investigation into charges of recruiting improprieties, said he started doing his homework for the upcoming season last week.

"I went to Las Vegas to watch the top prospects and talk with some coaches,'' Pearl said. "ESPN is the home of college basketball, so for that network to provide me with this opportunity to stay in the game is something I'm grateful for.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

scvols writes:

You can't keep winners down.

GreerVol22 writes:

Looks like Hot Dogs are back on the menu boys!

btw...I've been around a lot of VP's of Marketing and most of them actually have to work for a living. If they were a public company, I don't think the stockholders would like that very much...just sayin'

lemme_axya_this writes:

Congrats to Pearl, meanwhile Tony Jones is coaching high school and Forbes and Shay are at a juco.

voloffaith writes:

Like I tweeted a few minutes ago,.....does he have a 'show clause'? I mean it is a show.....ESPN takes a fallen rule twister and makes him all new again....This ,of course, builds integrity and trust in future actions by the espn......glad family doesn't have to move....that family line doesn't play too strong with me since ditched his wife for one that could be his daughter....was in Ktown this past weekend and lo and behold right across from IHOP on Kingston Pike is a store named...Alimony.....hmmmmmm

tennrich1 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Looks like Hot Dogs are back on the menu boys!

I dare say there are few VP's of Marketing that have "marketed" their companies on higher levels that CBP...Golly gee, I had never heard of the Hackney company until they hired CBP...just sayin'

CoverOrange writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Looks like Hot Dogs are back on the menu boys!

Great line from LOTR. Pearl's favorite was "I have no memory of this place" didn't work our to well, though.

I don't think the stockholders will mind much depending on how often BP can work Hackney into the conversation on air.

snuffy63#653562 writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Way to keep that vendetta alive. You don't think Pearl is suffering too? He would still rather be coaching at Tennessee, with the rest of them by his side. When are people going to stop crucifying him, for a simple human mistake? Where were those boys at before he hired them at UWM? Leave the man alone !!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

"out" not "our"

fumble fingers

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

ESPN knows good promotions when they see it..Why do you think BP was on every talk show and sports ticker ESPN has during BBQ-gate?? Milk those losers for everything they're worth, Bruce..Godspeed..VFL!

voloffaith writes:

in response to snuffy63#653562:

I liked Coach Pearl....but it was several mistakes/missteps(lying) that brought him....uh there is an article on Coach Pearl so lemme_ axya_this didn't just bring it up..... all the damage was self-inflicted.....sorry for his poor wife and children. Yes forgiveness comes hard when hurt..I'm past that...however the consequences of one's sins still plays out though...

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

VOLFORLIFE writes:

Good for Coach Pearl! Met him last year at a "tailgate party" hosted by the Hackney Company before the LSU game. I told him we missed him on the sideline, and he talked about how much he missed the fans. I just wish he hadn't messed up. Not that I don't like Cuonzo. I do like him, but not many can bring a game to life like Bruce Pearl.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

VOLtage writes:

And if could get Chris Lofton and JuJuan Smith as his co-analyst he'd really be good.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to snuffy63#653562:

Hey Snuffy, what part of "Congrats to Pearl" was too difficult for you to understand? There is no vendetta toward Coach Pearl, only appreciation for what he did for UT basketball. There is, however, no way to compare Pearl's emotional distress to Jason Shay's emotional and financial distress.
As for you, try to comprehend what you read.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Tennessee Basketball doesn't need BP to still beat the Gators in basketball every year. That was evident this season.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I just hope he keeps his BBQ business open, cause there isn't any good BBQ east of Jackson on I-40. I've never had his but it must be really good. I mean, REALLY good.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Congrats Coach. And remember, NO "wearing the hood" comments. VFL

VolzsFan writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Spoken like a person that is a fan and has never played or coached on any level.

The money involved in basketball (the TV rights alone for the NCAA tournament are $771 million per year compared to all the BCS games TV package of $125 million) I assure you there is some heavy duty paying of players going on. They have actually mastered the way to funnel it through lawyers so the NCAA cannot touch under attorney/client. It is masterful.

Bruce had two prospects in town for an unofficial visit. One is in the NBA and one is considered a first rounder next year and Pearl was the first to offer him a scholarship. Another player, Tatum, brought them to his house. Tough deal. Bruce knew it was illegal but do you be rude and throw them out? Most would not. I would not.

Hammy being the worst manger in history, did not manage his employee. When the NCAA came Hammy split and was no where to be found. Fact. Pearl made a mistake. He was not coached on how to handle the situation. No legal representation was provided except the school attorney representing the school. The entire thing was a misdemeanor mis-handled.

Stop your Bubba talk and show some respect for the best basketball coach in this schools history. Many Bubbas like you did not show the best baseball and football coach their respect. Just think, all three where on campus at the same time and Hammy ruined it.

Hey everyone, enjoy all that change you wanted.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

lol on the East of Jackson TN..Sitting in Beech Bluff getting ready for some good Cue and ale as we speak..GBO!!

VolMoment writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Hey everyone, enjoy all that change you wanted.

You had some goods points but showed your lack of understanding of top executives latitude in any business. The CEO of General Motors is not responsible for the everyday work load of the President of the Cadilac Division and especially if he lies and does the right thing by confessing. So show your class by trying to blame it on Mike Hamilton and calling him hammy.

voloffaith writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Hey everyone, enjoy all that change you wanted.

Did coach and that really doesn't matter mister alligator shoes..... ewe don't get it....like Paterno..Coach Pearl was not above the rules

Vol_in_GA writes:

BP is a natural in front of the camera. I'm sure he'll do well with his new gig.

McMinnVol writes:

I like Bruce and I for one am looking forward to hearing him next year. I think he is very entertaining and should add something to the games he does. I am somewhat surprised by all the hate on this thread. GO VOLS!

borovol1956 writes:

The eternal quandary ... do you shun for life a person who makes a big mistake, or do you welcome them back with a second chance?

born2ride writes:

Pearl will be coaching again in 2 years - as soon as his show cause is up.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to borovol1956:

I think some mistakes are forgivable (like Pearl's lie to the NCAA) others can never be forgiven (like Sandusky's) hideous crime.

voloffaith writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Only one sin is unpardonable......Remember forgiveness does not necessarily shut down future consequences of one's sins.....so but for the grace of God go I as well.....I'm not hateful if I was lumped in with those blasting...however we don't need to sugarcoat what was done...live and learn...repent and move on...man won't forgive....where as in Christ the 'Blood' will cover all transgressions....

On topic, Coach was excellent at what he did with his talent and I was thankful. The shame was sad as it would be for any of us.....

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to WetumpkaThumpa:

thats right Coach Martin owns Florida basketball GO VOLS !!!!!!!!! BEAT WILL ZOOK

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BBQ ? NOTHING...FLORIDA IS HOME TO THE SNOW BIRDS AND OTHER TRANSPLANT YANKEES SO ENJOY YOUR CREME SODAS AND BRATS...GO VOLS !!!!

utvolz#637682 writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

Agree 100%. Pearl and Summitt made for two very exciting/competitive hoops programs!

clvolfan writes:

in response to snuffy63#653562:

You're right,it's time,and this nation's president and his cronies surrounding him are doing much worse,and I might add,violating the law and constitution regularly,and nobody seems to care.

GrandmaVol writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Judge much , Vol for Jesus?

LiveFaith writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Looks like Hot Dogs are back on the menu boys!

Yes, and since it is NOT a public company the owners can do whatever it is they please. Their BP hire has probably brought this B2B company more public brand exposure than ever in the south. Not too shabby that the Mkt VP got those results before even getting moved into his office.

That's one of the beauties of private ownership and it's advantage of nimble decision manking. Just sayin' ...

underthehill writes:

in response to Vol_in_GA:

and provide interesting,,informative comments from a coaches standpoint..

Bigger_Al writes:

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

Love ya, man.

underthehill writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

Consider the sources.. any one who knows UT basketball history knows Bruce Pearl did a great job for UT..and to his credit he blamed only himself for his problems..and I have no doubt he will great on ESPN..

1vavolfan writes:

Good hires of both Pearl and Greenberg. Being in the Bristol area we are half way between UT and VT. Greenberg was a good coach who got on the wrong side of an incompetent AD. Should be some good entertainment, now if we could just get rid of Vitale.

iowavol writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

Looks like Hot Dogs are back on the menu boys!

You aint know.

Bigger_Al writes:

Jimmy Dykes... Jay Bilas... and yes, Dicky "Over the Hill" V... These fools don't know half of what Bruce does about the Game.

BristolTnVol writes:

Pearl is an idiot for lying about the cookout

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Maybe you could hook up with his ex. I'm sure she would love to date an overweight, sweaty, balding guy who trolls UT websites. Maybe you two could go to Hooters and watch her successful, wealthy, handsome ex-husband, with the new hot wife, do his national sports show. No, wait, you've been banned from Hooters. The date just wouldn't have the same ambiance sitting on the couch with your mom.

Razzle writes:

in response to HOW_BOUT_DEM_COWBOYS:

Hmm. I'd think that, since you hang out in our back yard, it would bother you a little bit that we own you.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

Most don't know that ESPN is Yiddish for LIAR or CHEAT in old Hebrew.

govolsn3 writes:

Great to see COACH PEARL getting a good gig as this. He knows the game and will be a natural in front of the camera.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

Most don't know that ESPN is Yiddish for LIAR or CHEAT in old Hebrew.

Which is it, Yiddish or Hebrew? They're two different languages. Your attempt at humor has revealed how stupid you are.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I'm not saying Christ won't forgive the scum..I was referencing myself and most of the public..Got it?

shipperman#280095 writes:

If he forgets what to say, he can always lie about it. He was a good coach, but dudes, he lied and cost us. Get over the liar and support what we got

bigdisbig writes:

in response to BristolTnVol:

Pearl is an idiot for lying about the cookout

Wow dude what an informative revelation! Do you really think so? Do you think Pete Rose was an idiot for gambling on baseball? Do you think maybe Paterno was an idiot for not reporting Sandusky? You are sooo deep in your thinking. PLease give us another revelation...no, on second hand...go crawl back under the rock you slid out of.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Congrats Pearl. Good luck with ESPN. BTW the way when they hired you their IQ went way way up. I'm not even sure your very smart with the hotdogs and all but I'm not a fan of most the ESPN commentary. You should easily gain a few listeners for them.

brod writes: