CAK receiver Josh Smith commits to Tennessee

CAK's Josh Smith, right, catches a pass for a touchdown in front of Austin East's Darrius Smallwood during the teams' state semifinal game Friday night, November 25, 2011  at CAK. CAK defeated Austin East 35-27.

Photo by Chad Greene, 2011

CAK's Josh Smith, right, catches a pass for a touchdown in front of Austin East's Darrius Smallwood during the teams' state semifinal game Friday night, November 25, 2011 at CAK. CAK defeated Austin East 35-27.

CAK's Josh Smith celebrates after the Warriors won 38-37 over the Alcoa Tornadoes in overtime at CAK Friday, Nov. 18, 2011.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Adam Brimer // Buy this photo

CAK's Josh Smith celebrates after the Warriors won 38-37 over the Alcoa Tornadoes in overtime at CAK Friday, Nov. 18, 2011. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Christian Academy of Knoxville wide receiver Josh Smith committed this morning to play for the University of Tennessee.

CAK head coach Rusty Bradley confirmed Smith's decision through text message.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Smith received the offer early Wednesday evening. He impressed the coaches at a camp at Tennessee on Tuesday, as he showed off the talents that led to him catching a combined 164 passes for 2,965 yards and 37 touchdowns during his sophomore and junior seasons.

The next day, Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney offered Smith.

Smith was a first-team All-PrepXtra selection by the News Sentinel as a junior. He was also named to the Class 3A All-State Team by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association.

That prompted programs such as Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State to invite him to their respective camps this summer.

More details to follow online and in Friday's News Sentinel.

Related Stories

GreerVol22 writes:

Good looking player and fast. He outruns most of his throws and has to wait on them. Welcome to the real UT Josh!!

gc_scvol writes:

Welcome, Josh. Glad to have you. GBO VFL

thevoice writes:

Kid's got game. Welcome aboard.

PHAT_VOL writes:

This kid should grade out as a high three or maybe a four star. Always good to land local talent. Welcome, Josh.
GO VOLS !!!

Bubba_Knows writes:

This statement is what impressed me the most. Not the yards because that came from Knoxville small ball. But you cannot dismiss this fact:
"He garnered attention outside state borders, though, in mid-March when he finished 12th among 1,447 competitors at a Nike combine in Atlanta."
And that is impressive!

Voltman writes:

I hate being pessimistic but do we need any more receivers? Weve already got 4 more coming in this year and arent we short on scholarship offers this year to about where we can offer what? 19? Oh well his stats are good enough for me and hes an in-bred recruit so you cant beat that burning desire to play on the field. Good luck Josh Smith I hope you get to see some decent playing time at UT

keepitreal4vols writes:

Dooley has built a fence around Knoxville. .

GerryOP writes:

Welcome to the Volunteer Nation Josh. The kid wants to be a Vol and Dooley/Chaney want him to be part of the team. That's all I need to know. Josh, go forth and be well.

UTQB70 writes:

If Oklahoma State or Ohio State had offered Smith and he had committed, everyone would be livid. If you local guys have not seen this kid play, get out this fall and watch him.

Voltman writes:

And hes a white receiver how rare is that he could be the next Wes Welker lol lets just hope he is able to get some good playing time at UT

VOLtage writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Dooley has built a fence around Knoxville. .

Or at least around CAK.

hikerdude writes:

Hope this works out. Many kids that are great at the 3A level can't make it at the SEC level. Have to trust Chaney, I guess.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to Voltman:

We need to start recruiting heavy at running back and at linebacker

rtrchatt writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

The 1990's are not indicative of UT fb historically. The glory days are over and IMO will not be seen again. Much like Awbarn, UT will have a very good team every 5 years or so, but as far as an extended period of excellence...look at the 60,70,80's as that is UT fb.

Roll Tide, home of 4 National Championship teams this past school year. We never argue about school colors lol, the men are not jealous of the ladies success, and the ladies do not make fun of the males for their legal or academic problems. Keep up the good work Vols fans......

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

But you all at tuscalooser are in-breds, so stay on your own boards and stay off ours.

Ironcity writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Boy I read your post and I have to feel sorry for you. You represent so many sports fans today who believe they deserve or maybe I should say expect everything to be rosy for them and their chosen teams the rest of their lives. They act as if no one else or school is interested in reaching the same goals. Also they do not cherish the championships as much as they should since they expect them to be routine. I have witnessed many other fan bases acting spoiled as well (UGA, Oklahoma, Ohio St., Michigan). To me what makes the championships special is the hard times that we experience in getting there. I don't expect them nor do I think as a fan I deserve to be part of them. I do think that when it happens again I will appreciate it more knowing what this program has gone through. If I should not see another championship I will always cherish the one I witnessed in 1998.

Bigger_Al writes:

Local kid, makes play after play, great stats. Kentucky on him early. Locals want him in orange, other Vol fans would rather get someone with more stars from a far-away place.

Sounds like the Randall Cobb situation to me.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Forget to take your meds today? And 2 curse curse words in a post, it shows your vocabulary level is on par with a 7th grader.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Dooley has built a fence around Knoxville. .

He's building a fence around the state which is exactly what we need. These kids are talented and truly want to be a vol. This is a great addition to next years class.

westknoxrepub writes:

Hmm, seems like Dooley is following Coach Martint's recruiting pattern. . .get the medicore guys and hope we get some lucky breaks during the games.

CroKev writes:

in response to Voltman:

I don't think you meant to write "in-bred" unless, of course, your other moniker is RTRChatt...

Voltman writes:

in response to CroKev:

LOL I saw that post after I posted this but no Im not RTRchatt i dont really follow others on this site too much lol. And what I meant by in-bred was simply that the way hes so excited about the UT offer was that he has always been a UT fan nothing more dont take it as anything negative

usafvol writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

And the bama fans are sooo classy which is evident by the actions after the LSU game. Now go find your sister and get busy!

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

If you believe the glory days are done for Tennessee, I got a bridge in San Francisco that I'd like to sell you. Matter of fact, I got a lake on the northern course of Ohio that I can sell you for $100; it's a steal.

We've got too much money backing our University; that's not going to change because of the companies backing us: money doesn't lie. Our history and tradition are too great. Our Stadium is too big

Where was Bama in the 90's? Where was Bama before Saban? They were in the same place we were: little to no leadership at the top. This is all Mike Hamilton's doing. He should have never been promoted, and I doubt if he would've gotten the job had we had a decent university president at the time. Does Fulmer deserve part of the blame? Yes. But Hamilton was clearly in over his head, and he ruined UT Athletics.

Voltman writes:

Wait no that was Vol Orange who posted that other comment on the other story lol oh well like i said i don't really follow the names of posters on this site too much

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

"Either way, it cant get any worse than it is right now"

I beg to differ.

1.Train wrecks that kill coaches (UT).
2.Plane crashes that wipe out entire teams(Marshall).
3.NCAA "death penalty" that destroy entire programs (SMU).
4.You COULD be an Alabama fan (no matter their record).

Things can ALWAYS be worse.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Congrats to the kid. He was interviewed by Basilio, and he said "Its a dream come true". Those are the guys I like to see play for the Orange and White.

Snapshot writes:

in response to Voltman:

Or know how to use punctuation. lol

SummittsCourt writes:

Wide Receiver U!

Voltman writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Or know how to use punctuation. lol

OH Shut Up! Ill use puncuation when I feel like it. lol

VolinCalif writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Now. Now little one, you are trying very hard to reflect the Bears years as Bama total football record and years as a great program. So lets take a little peek at that record.
The bear faced the General 7 times in his career, only seven times and he faced UT 34 times as a HC. He never beat the General and only managed to tie him twice. Not one win. But wait! He did manage to score 20 points during those seven tries, seven years of trying.
He also only managed to win 56% of his games against UT. that is only 4 more wins in 34 tries. That isn't dominance, it is little better than breaking even. Bear was head coach at Maryland, Ky, A&M and Bama just google the schools records and check the football wins of his years as HC.
BE very glad that the general retired in 52 or Bama would not have scored another 20 pts until 1960. I'll let you find a way to project how many points he would have scored by 1982 when he retired. Have fun.
NCS 14 Vols 28 Look out Fl & Bama
Vols 9-3 plus a bowl

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Glad the kid got a local SEC scholly. Hope he does well. I really doubt he ever plays for the coaches that recruited him, but that really does not matter.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to Voltman:

White kid with moves like Michael Jackson.
Wait what color was Michael?

GO VOLS!!!

UTQB70 writes:

in response to Show-me-your-TDs:

White kid with moves like Michael Jackson.
Wait what color was Michael?

GO VOLS!!!

Coach Mark Bradley who was at UT says Smith reminds him of Marcus Nash.

darcy1 writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

So true. I've watched him for the past two years and he is the real deal. Stats don't lie. Congratulations Josh!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Congratulations on pulling in another local guy who wants to live his dream and play for the Vols.

Note: the RTR ( chatannooga chatterbox )who claims to live in W Knox. Classic example of a bandwagon Alabama fan. Once they eventually return to losing ways, this troll will simply pick and choose another team.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Voltman:

According to Darin Hinshaw, four receivers will be applying to the draft next year. Hunter, Da'Rick, the other Rogers (no disrespect just brain fart on his name), and I don't know who else. And by historical trends, as many as 2 of those 4 incoming won't be here in two years.

PUL4VOLS writes:

I'm just glad he wants to come to UT, it's June and the end of August is drawing nearer so that we see just how our Volunteers will do. Yes they are my Volunteers. I was born in Tennessee. I fall in line with Davey Crockett and all others who traveled west to help Texas.

frblalack writes:

Great news for Tennessee! He'll have a QB named Nathan Peterman who throws bullets! And with this kid's speed and hands...things are really looking up for the Country of Big Orange!!!

I'm wearing my Orange clothing today!!

All Vols - All the Time - Believe in the Big Orange!!!

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Hadn't seen you on here in a while, I was hoping maybe a rip tide had swept you out to sea where a pod of Orcas used you to train their young how to........ uh, nevermind.
UT 19 Fl 13

utfutbolfan writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

I 100% agree.

Even if this guy is horrible as some of you claim. Maybe he could help us out on special teams? Ya know, how about field a punt?! That'd be a change of pace for us.

Good luck my man, I hope you kill it on the hill. I will be cheering for you!

GBO!!

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to atributetoLombardiwasbanned:

"Either way, it cant get any worse than it is right now"

I beg to differ.

1.Train wrecks that kill coaches (UT).
2.Plane crashes that wipe out entire teams(Marshall).
3.NCAA "death penalty" that destroy entire programs (SMU).
4.You COULD be an Alabama fan (no matter their record).

Things can ALWAYS be worse.

You forgot that he could change his first name to Quantavious which is worth 2 more stars and end up playing for Spurrier.

OrangePsyched writes:

This guy and their QB torched my team in the championship last year. I hate it that we'll probably be facing them again this year. It'll be good to have him with us at UT rather than against my team.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Only a juvenile tide fan, or at least a juvenile minded tide fan would make an ignorant statement like that. Out of all SEC teams, UT is a close second to alabubba. Not uf, uga, lsu, auburn, or ANY of the others. UT is the team right behind your beloved cheaters. That FACT makes your little post look silly and trivial. Btw, if you look real close you will notice this is NOT an alabubba site. NOBODY cares about your beloved criminals/cheaters here. You haven't figured that out yet, but how could you, you're just here for attention, and mentally stuck in first gear. PATHETIC.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Actually, the late 1960's and early 1970's and few of the years in the 1980's were very good years. Agree with the rest of your statement.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Lighten Up Francis!

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

What about the Penn State Pedofiles? Sandusky?

TheVolSnake writes:

I posted this on the other tread but will share here

I watched the videos and some things I noticed:

Great hands and understands can’t do anything unless you catch the ball.

Very elusive after the catch watch him on the punt or kickoff return (looked like a punt) has the ability to make tacklers miss.

Great leaping ability and turned in air to adjust to the ball to make the catch.

Always pushed forward when being tackled

Wasn’t afraid to go across the middle on slant in’s

Will be even better when hits the weights and a WR coach.

With his catches reminds me somewhat of Hunter.

With all his stats and selections when the new rankings come out would bet he will be at least a 3 star and by the end of his senior season a 4 star.

He was injured two games last year which hurt his exposure a little.

Again Welcome aboard Josh

DonK37920 writes:

Great pick up! He finished 12 at that Atlanta camp and the guy that finished 11 is a 4 star WR from Marrietta that everyone has offered. And Josh ran a faster 40 than him.

Hope we can get Jalen Ramsey also who finished 1st at that same Atlanta Nike camp and attended our camp this year.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to collegegrovevol:

Great one
Glad you're still around, I thought you were above whining. But I was a little worried about BigO's Oak Trees.