Jarnell Stokes selected as Team USA U18 finalist

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) goes up for a basket against MTSU during the first half of the NIT second-round game at Thompson-Boling Arena Monday, March 19, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) goes up for a basket against MTSU during the first half of the NIT second-round game at Thompson-Boling Arena Monday, March 19, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes has been selected as one of 14 finalists to continue competing for a spot on the USA Basketball Men's U18 National Team as the roster was trimmed from 23 on Thursday evening.

The USA Basketball Men's Junior National Team Committee will make its final cut to a 12-man roster prior to June 12, when the squad travels to Sao Sebastiáo do Paraiso, Brazil, for the 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championship, which will be played June 16-20.

Until then, Stokes will continue training with the other 13 finalists at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

"This trials has been very difficult," said USA Basketball Men's Junior National Team Committee chair Jim Boeheim. "You had 23 guys who all are really good players, there wasn't a bad player here. To get down to 12 is going to be difficult but I think we're going to end up with a really good athletic team that is going to be very well coached. I think we've got an unbelievable coaching staff. I think we've got guys that have won, been winners, won state championships, and I think they'll represent USA Basketball extremely well in this tournament."

A native of Memphis, Tenn., who graduated high school early and enrolled at UT in January, Stokes made a huge impact for the Vols during the second half of the season. He averaged 9.6 points and 7.4 rebounds while shooting .534 from the field en route to SEC All-Freshman Team honors. Stokes also led the Vols in blocked shots (1.4 bpg) and logged a pair of double-doubles.

Stokes is the lone collegian on the U18 National Team, which requires players to have been born on or after Jan. 1, 1994.

"I think it was very, very difficult for the committee to get this group narrowed down just because there were so many good players. I thought for the past three days their effort was great," said head coach Billy Donovan.

AshyVol writes:

That is great that Stokes gets to play for Billy D. I can't stand the Gators, but CBD is as classy as they come. He's one helluva bball coach too.

Go Vols, Go USA!!

voloffaith writes:

Ashy you are almost totally correct.....when he turned pro coach then backed out......yes we've all made decisions that we have regretted and wished we could go back and change....he was not the first to do so....Cremins and a few others did then went back...oh well go Jarnell!!! USA USA USA!!!

NashvillePreds writes:

Congrats.
Off subject, but does anyone else find themselves wishing that Wayne Chism could perpetually be on the UT bball team?
Maybe my favorite UT athlete of all time.
After T. Smith and those guys were arrested, Chism led the way.

Go Vols

MYTVLZ writes:

Austin Nichols from Memphis Briarcrest who we are recuriting also made the cut. Congrats to Jarnell and Austin.

Interestingly, a U of Memphis signee is also made the cut and they are also recuritin Nichols.

VolGrad writes:

Congrats to Stokes; best of luck.

G B O!!!

Tacamo01 writes:

Maybe this is why Donovan said the Vol's will be the team to beat this year. Congrats Jarnell!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to TROLLING_IS_FUN:

Witch Doctor say it says he was a good enough player and student to graduate early and had grades good enough to enroll and play college a whole semester ahead of the same age kids hes playing with now. Witch Doctor say perspective!
Bones never lie.

voloffaith writes:

So Witchy sayin' is the glass half empty or half full? One is a pessimist...the other is an optimist...no not the organization....

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Witch Doctor say one sells tickets and popcorn the other makes you create 10 different logins(as we just saw) and stay on the boards and spread hate and loathing 27/7..Witch Doctor say "tickets! come get your tickets!! popcorn! hot popcorn over here! " lol.
Bones never lie.

SevenT writes:

It really doesn't matter if Tennessee has an all American caliber player like Stokes. Tennessee fan does not have the mental capacity to understand a skill geme like basketball and Tennesse fan does not support their basketball team.

Stokes should have gone to Kentucky.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to SevenT:

Stokes should have gone to Kentucky.

Witch Doctor guess thats why all UK players are native Kentuckians? oh wait! lol.
Bones never lie.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to SevenT:

Stokes should have gone to Kentucky.

Once Kentucky figures out if it's in the South or Midwest, let us know.
I heard Stokes didn't want to go there b/c he values a state/people who know where they stand.
Kentucky = The Belgium of America

born2ride writes:

Great honor for Stokes.

underthehill writes:

in response to SevenT:

Stokes should have gone to Kentucky.

Basketball is a skill game ..not a skill geme..TN fans appear to place more value on education than understanding a skill geme...Stokes made the right decision to play for Martin..what can any player learn about character at Kentucky..

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

Too bad for Team USA as all our KY players all go pro every year or they would have been trying to draft our entire team. Would have been another home game for the Cats and everybody else would have been left out in the cold, again.

underthehill writes:

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

The article is very simple..USA JUNIOR TEAM..this is based on age of players..not whether or not they turn pro..if you have further problems understanding what you read..I'm sure there are UT fans who will work with you..

SevenT writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

1/2 the Kentucky roster is from Kentucky, the rest are from the Big Blue Nation.

Bones never cheat

LOL

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to SevenT:

Bones never cheat

LOL

Witch Doctor say but that the half that never sees the floor! lol. Witch Doctor say have a good weekend!
Bones never lie.

SevenT writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

U2 W_D...love your posting style!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I hate Kentucky. There horses are wimpy spoiled grass eatin' good for nothin' but runnin' donkey- like mountin' climbin' goats...and stuff.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Oh yeah. GO Stokes VFL 44years Big hoss worker rebounder in your face MAN.

Razzle writes:

in response to TROLLING_IS_FUN:

It may be fun for you, but you're not very good at it. I'd give you 2 on a 10 scale.

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

in response to underthehill:

You're right, I didn't read the article all the way through to the age restrictions, so my bad. But, if there hadn't been the age restrictions, well then ...
and if you can't figure that one out, then myself or one of the Blue Cats here online will be able to further help you out.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

Can't wait to beat the blue cats this year. 2 times at least Catman! Holy felines Catman! Time for Kentucky to lose with those kittens you got.

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

We can figure it out. It is just another attempt by a blue troll to belittle any accomplishment by a Vol, if only by raising nonsensical hypotheticals. So anxious to get in your dig, you don't even read the articles first. Anything to tweak the Vols, right?

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Yes, I guess so vol fan. Just like any attempts to dismantle any accomplishments by the Cats by your Volunteers. Need I remind you of T.'s slanders and slurs toward us - "Cheating Cal", "CoRUPP Arena", "Bought for Players", etc. That list of names/slurs toward KY from the Volfans just goes on and on and on and you know it. So, what it boils down to is if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

With all due respect though, you do have a top grade talent with Stokes as he would have faired better on the KY team, had we had a scolly left for him and our roster not full. He is an excellent NBA 1st round prospect.

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

BTW, I did read the article, I just somehow missed over the age requirements as I sometimes speed read and with that sometimes comes missing some points. I'll do better before I post next time.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

GOOOooogoooooooooooogoooooo Volunteers. GBO At least we can confidently say that our Vols will beat the BlueCats in Football this year. Last years fiasco just won't and can't happen twice. We have a really good shot at them in bball. Assuming we're healthy and our guard play improves.

Good ole Smokey will tear up that darned blue flea-bitten cat.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

If you can't post in orange then why bother?

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

If you had taken the time to look at my past posts, you would see that I am one of the few on here who has NEVER accused Cal of cheating, or who says that he is much more of a mere recruiter than a real coach. If you don't like what any Vol fan says about UK or Calapari, reply to THEM rather than just picking someone at random to jump on. You seemed to misunderstand the criteria for picking this team so I tried to educate you. I don't see how that translates into a general slam against all things UK.

in response to johnlg00:

Correction: I was backing up the pro-Vol poster who pointed out the age qualification for that team. I did not specifically refer to those criteria myself.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Won_and_Done:

Hope so "Done with One. Hope so.