Jeronne Maymon has meniscus surgery

Rising Tennessee senior Jeronne Maymon underwent arthroscopic surgery on the meniscus in his left knee on Friday.

The men's basketball power forward will be able to resume activity — according to Chad Newman, associate director of sports medicine, through a UT release — in four to six weeks.

Maymon underwent a surgical procedure on his right knee on March 20, but recent swelling in his left knee prompted Friday's surgery, the release said. He is expected to be cleared for participation by the time Tennessee departs for its summer exhibition tour of Italy on Aug. 5.

"Any surgery — just by the nature of what it is — is a big deal," Vols coach Cuonzo Martin said. "So there's really never a 'minor' surgery. But this isn't something any of us are too worried about. Jeronne should be full-go for the trip to Italy (in August). If there's ever a good time to get something like this done, this is it."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

wigmeister writes:

WHEW!!!!

underthehill writes:

Howard Bayne is the only former UT player who can compare to the toughness of Maymon. A pleasure to watch this young MAN compete.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Maymon = Willis Reed

RockyTopVolFan writes:

Good luck Jeronne!
Heal well.
Go Vols!

Ironcity writes:

Not good! Should never need a second procedure.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Maymon = Willis Reed

tennrich1 writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

Someone's scared and a little worried!!!!!!!!!!

thevoice writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Maymon = Willis Reed

Maymon + Stokes + Point Guard = Sweet Sixteen

RobbieTee writes:

in response to thevoice:

Maymon + Stokes + Point Guard = Sweet Sixteen

= NIT

HtownVol writes:

Kinda wish this came earlier, I want the Leader of the team involved in EVERY practice or anything team related this summer.

Anyone still wanna bash me for 2 years ago when I was so so T'd off that Steven Pearl was playing over Maymon?? Imagine how good that team could have been if Maymon was getting those reps in practice and games.

I honestly think Maymon can be a NBA player if he would get rid of a few habits. It kills me when he shoots his layups "granny" style. If he goes up strong he would be much more consistant.

Oh, for UT to take the next step..

1. Teach the Guards how to pass the ball to the real players (Maymon and Stokes).

2 When the bigs get the ball in the post and the double/tripple team collapse know how to find the open man. That killed UT last season.

3. Get some scoring Guards. Trae can score but he has the worst brain farts in late game situations, never knows to hurry when the clock is low. McRae may be the best scorer on the team but has no desire to be great. And the rest are pretty much defense only players. I like Richardson (his parents are so nice, I sat with them at the LSU game) but Josh will never be a scorer.

Last, other than Stokes, Cuonzo better figure out how to recruit big boy level players. I know it is said every day but UT will never reach a Final Four without a few top 50 recruits on the roster.
Of the 4 recruits last season who played only Stokes is a impact player. Richardson is defense only, Washpun already washed up and the Nigerian is a role player only.
Every recruiting class has to have a player capable of being a go to player.

GO VOLS

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Oh, for UT to take the next step..

Every recruiting class has to have a player capable of being a go to player.

GO VOLS

Yes I'll bash you if you wish it. Pearl was at times our most productive player on the floor. 'course there were times when he was the least productive but those were rare. He was a senior that provided senior leadership when he could. Maymon was out of shape period. It's possible that had Martin been Pearl's and Maymon's coach that Martin would have coached them both up. But imho Pearl still would have played plenty. Neither were championship caliber players at the time. Maymon will be this year(we all hope).

VolGrad writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

Coming from you, that's an affirmation of Ayres_Hall and his statement.

underthehill writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Oh, for UT to take the next step..

Every recruiting class has to have a player capable of being a go to player.

GO VOLS

Several physical basketball players have made great NFL stars..Maymon has the traits to join that group..tight end, offensive guard, defensive end, possible linebacker..expect to see him in the NFL..

born2ride writes:

Maymon is our best player. He can score and rebound. He has a chance to play in the NBA.

Ironcity writes:

in response to underthehill:

I really think you guy are ignoring two knee surgeries in 3 months. Kid probably has no more cartilage left in his knee. I just hope he can give us one great season and can make some money in the pros somewhere. Two knee surgeries usually spells doom. Good luck Mr Maymann.

underthehill writes:

in response to Ironcity:

The type knee surgeries Maymon has had are not the most difficult to deal with and are not considered a threat to end his playing..

underthehill writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Steven Pearl couldn't play dead in a western movie..could not have made the traveling squad for any other SEC team..and played only because his dad was coach..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

I think you are wrong but that's just an opinion. I can think of several lower SEC clubs that would have taken him. He was not that bad as a senior. I do think his dad played him too much at times but what dad wouldn't. He was better than Maymon at that time. IMHO! His potential was no where near Maymon's.

clucknpurr writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Read the article. Separate knees!

underthehill writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

To be fair..Pearl gave more effort than any player on the team..he just had very little talent for basketball and definitely never would have been given a chance to play on a major college team by anyone other than his dad..

HtownVol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Seriously, better than Maymon at the time..

Lets just think about it.

Maymon - TWO time Wisconsin Mr Basketball. Goes to Marquette and what turns into a worse player than Steven Pearl?

I can understand if you said SP knew the plays better, but there is zero chance in .. that SP ever was or ever will be close to the player Maymon is or was.

When SP had the ball in his hands he looked like the big kid in High School who didnt have a talented bone in his body but thought he was a baller. Zero shot, zero ball handling and less than zero coordination.
The ONLY posotive I can say about SP was that he played hard, which is every one of his lovers excuse to defend him. But that means othing without a tad bit of talent.
You are completely wrong about any other SEC team taking him. The only other player I can compare SP to is Tubbys kid, but Tubbys kid had a tad bit of talent (tad). Now, other SEC teams do have kids who have no talent on the team, but...they DONT PLAY!

I am glad u say SP's potential was no where near Maymons but he was never at any point a better player than Maymon, from diapers to his "Cuonzo who" remarks.

Again, dont forget where I said " I would understand if you said he knew the plays better".

GO VOLS

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I know JM doesn't think this, but a meniscus tear usually heals much faster and rehab is less painful than ACL surgery..The guy played like a beast on a bad wheel, imagine what he'll do injury free..GBO!!

in response to HtownVol:

Seriously, better than Maymon at the time..

Lets just think about it.

GO VOLS

Isn't it at least possible that, coming in with all the kudos you mentioned, Maymon just assumed that he was going to walk into a starting role and didn't come in with the conditioning level required? And last year when he did play a lot, isn't it possible that his knee troubles over the last month or so of the season prevented him from going up as strong as he should have?

Also, I find it all but incomprehensible that a decent coach at a big-time program would play his own son if he KNEW that another player was better. If THAT was the only reason Pearl played his boy, then he might not have been the coaching genius some make him out to be. As successful as Pearl had been to that point, EVERY college coach is figuratively fighting for his job all the time. Are you SERIOUSLY saying that he would have endangered his team's chances by playing Steve JUST because Steve was his son?

PS: Maymon himself has said that he wasn't in good playing shape the first year he was at UT.

Ironcity writes:

in response to underthehill:

Speaking from experience when they are back to back that suggest that the issue will be chronic. I hope he is healthy but with his style I would not expect him to be as tough defensively as he was last year.

Ironcity writes:

in response to clucknpurr:

Read the article. Separate knees!

Still not good but better.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Maymon = Willis Reed

This.

Willis was a warrior. Maymon has similar traits.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

This.

Willis was a warrior. Maymon has similar traits.

You people kill me with this warrior cr@p..A guy played bb injured, that makes him tough; But it certainly doesn't qualify as a warrior..Back in the day I remember many athletes playing injured and I would guarantee you if they had known the consequences (like never walking again and chronic pain) they would have taken themselves out of the game for self preservation instead of this stupid machismo that earns respect from drinking buddies..Just a thought

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Seriously, better than Maymon at the time..

Lets just think about it.

GO VOLS

Maymon's potential was great as we found out. But when BPearl was here he played Maymon in a limited role I think due to his confidence and his being a little heavy. I don't think I'm wrong about SP's ability. That said, I don't think other SEC schools would have taken him out of High School. But he was good enough as a senior to play for some SEC lower tier schools. However as a senior he was as good as he'd ever get. I'm not saying SP was a SEC level player. I'm saying he became a decent player on defense and in key spots when we needed energy in the game. And at that time from watching Maymon in the games Pearl much of the time to me was better in the game. Perhaps due to knowing the plays and maybe having a better bball IQ then. Maymon I think will be a pro player and I think he has a good chance at NBA if he keeps getting better.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I'm not completely certain but I think maybe I agree with you. Excuse me while I go throw up.
Seriously playing injured is NOT good. I don't care what any coach or fan says. Of course I not talking about little bruises and bumps or your ordinary twist or sprain. But today they can tell usually right there on the court if a player should keep playing...most the time. I'm always for X-rays and test asap!

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

As one who has at least spent a good deal of time around REAL warriors, I agree that we fans sometimes get carried away with military analogies applied to sports. Playing with pain and playing with injuries are two different things. I'm pretty sure CCM would have stepped in if, in the opinion of the medical staff, Maymon was likely to make his injury worse by playing on it. While he may have been medically cleared to keep playing, it surely seemed to me that he didn't have all of his lift and quickness in the last month or so of the season. Maymon at perhaps 80% was still one of the two or three best players on the team. Hopefully, this latest procedure corrected the problem and he will be back in full "beast mode" by the time of the Italy trip.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I neither seek or need your approval, so choke and vomit on that..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Ditto on the call to duty, I'm a retired 1st Sgt. from the US Army..And I agree CCM had positive feedback from medical staff or he would've never take a chance and played JM post injury.