Jackson is No. 1 pick in Rocky Top League draft

Tonight's Pilot Rocky Top League draft pool of 69 players features eight members of the University of Tennessee men's basketball roster.

Returning starter Skylar McBee is joined by fellow seniors Kenny Hall and Rob Murphy. Junior forward Jordan McRae, the Vols' fourth-leading

scorer in 2011-12, will likely be the first current Tennessee player selected, while sophomores Yemi Makanjuola and Brandon Lopez, redshirt freshman Quinton Chievous and incoming freshman Derrick Reese are also draft-eligible.

Two UT players, Jarnell Stokes and Josh Richardson, won't be participating due to outside obligations. Stokes is currently in Brazil as a member of the U.S. National Team at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship, while Richardson recently returned from a two-week goodwill tour in Germany and Poland with Athletes In Action.

Three more Vols — Jeronne Maymon, Trae Golden and Dwight Miller — have yet to be cleared for play after undergoing offseason knee surgery.

Notable former Tennessee players expected to be selected tonight include Ron Slay, Tyler Smith, Cameron Tatum, Dane Bradshaw, Wayne Chism, Melvin Goins, Jon Higgins, Bobby Maze and J. P. Prince.

Top 15 picks in Rocky Too League draft.

1.) James "Boo" Jackson, DeRoyal Industries

10.) Tyler Smith, Campus Lights

11.) J.P. Primm, Choice Spine

12.) Larricus Cunningham, DeRoyal Industries

13.) Lorenza Ross, DeRoyal Industries

14.) Dane Bradshaw, Choice Spine

15.) Jake Troyli, Campus Lights

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

Heck yeah this league just gets better and better!

lomas98 writes:

Warning for everyone. These players listed will be averaging over 30 points a game and shoot lights out from 3. Please don't use it as a measuring stick for the upcoming season. It happens every year and a player has unfair expectations from the fans based on what he did during summer league.

govolsn3 writes:

It would be nice to see this league tour the entire state to give all of us VOL FANS a chance to take in a game.

BrassMonkey writes:

Dang no Stevey Pearl?

eb502us#225637 writes:

in response to lomas98:

See Jordan McRae

He'll be "All Rocky Top" yet is an SEC flop. He belongs in D2 basketball where he can out run, out jump, and out dunk his competition like he does in the summer league. In the SEC, you need to play smart, have a handle and not turn it over, and be able to shoot with some consistency. Jordan brings neither of these things to the table.

BambooBoy writes:

The Rocky Top League is a wonderful barometer for future talent!! It will guarantee our success this year!! Throw down, VFL basketballers!!

EntourageVol writes:

in response to govolsn3:

Probably against some NCAA rules. Current players would have to secure their own funds to travel

jack4444 writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

See Jordan McRae

With Pearl as coach, maybe you're right. Bet you see true improvement this year. Hopson could have used a couple years in CCM's program.

TWhite11 writes:

in response to govolsn3:

That's what I'm saying. Travel to Nashville.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

See Jordan McRae

Thank you for your talent evaluation. Have you taken him one on one or are you currently coaching in a Major Conference making a million plus? Name please?

eb502us#225637 writes:

in response to jack4444:

I'd love to be wrong and eat my words but I seriously doubt that will happen.

The only comparison of McRae with Hopson is that neither handles the ball well. Beyond that, Hopson is twice the player even with all his faults.

If you want to make a comparison, I'd think Cam Tatum is a better example. Not a great handler of the ball, poor decision maker when trying to make a move, can't create his own shot, and a below average defender. The only difference is that Cam is a better shooter when left open.

And lets not forget that Cam was the same player with Martin that he was with Pearl.....nothing to write home about.

eb502us#225637 writes:

in response to WetumpkaThumpa:

His play speaks for itself.

Curious, where would you rank him on this team? 6th best? 9th best? or is he the best in your mind?

If you think I'm way off, then lets see where you stand.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

I'd love to be wrong and eat my words but I seriously doubt that will happen.

Everything you've said about McRay is a lie. He's inconsistent, due to being inexperienced. He has as much talent as anyone on the team beside Stokes. McRay can shoot the 3 and possesses the long lost art of actually being able to hit a mid range jumper. He can flat out ball, just needs to be more consistent. As for defense, didn't he have a bunch of blocks to be a guard? Jordan will be fine, you mark my words. In fact, he's gonna flat out BALL this season.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

His play speaks for itself.

If you think I'm way off, then lets see where you stand.

I think Jordan is the 4th best on this team. But I think as far at RAW talent he's 2nd behind Stokes. Again, he not reach his potential. But dude has some freakish abilities.

GerryOP writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

I'd love to be wrong and eat my words but I seriously doubt that will happen.

Awwww, c'mon eb502, it's summer time and these basketVols are going to do some ballin'. Can't you take the summer off and drop the trashin' of our Vols? Besides, after what these guys pulled off last season, far exceeding everyone's wildest expectations, we need to show a little love for our basketVols. OK? Peace bro'.

UT4prez writes:

in response to jack4444:

I'll leave the Pearl part of your comment out of my response. He's gone so it doesn't matter.

I agree that McRae will show significant improvement this year. I think we will see 12-13 pts/game from him. I also agree Hopson could have used a year with Martin. He would have improved greatly if he listened to Martin.

ball1523 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

boo jackson is a former eastern michagan university player who has played in the nbdl and has played over seas for a while now. He s been the mvp of this league if im not mistaking. he's about 6 foot 8. I would have loved to see stokes play against him.

Hoops43 writes:

in response to ball1523:

Boo is a very experienced veteran player that has earned MVP honors and is capable of defending from small forwards to posts in this league. Scotty Hopson can attest to that fact. Boo is about 6'8 240 and has been to several NBA camps and summer leagues. He is also a GREAT mentor for the younger players. If he hadn't gone first, he would have been gone at #2.

in response to eb502us#225637:

I'd love to be wrong and eat my words but I seriously doubt that will happen.

Yep, it sure is too bad CCM couldn't completely remake a fifth-year senior in one season. Although I'm not in love with McRae as a stand-still shooter, he is streaky, which is about the same thing one might say about Tatum. I expect McRae to be much improved this season.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

He said Hopson was TWICE the player. Maybe but I still like McRae's upside. We'll see this year (I hope) that this guy is wrong about McRae. At times Hopson was really great and at times he was really bad. Mostly great though I think as a junior. I like McRae's general defense better than Hopson. I also think Hopson could have been helped by Martin's coaching. Tatum was just too too hmmm nonchalant? Hesitant may be a better description on offense. McRae at least seems coachable compared to Hopson.

MAYBE the new guards will push McRae, Richardson, and Golden this year?