Guard Jannah Tucker commits to Lady Vols

Guard is first commitment for Warlick

Since Jannah Tucker's trip to Tennessee last February revolved around women's basketball recruiting, the visit was unofficial in nature.

But her father, Robert, couldn't help notice that his daughter's feelings seemed very genuine.

After leaving a Lady Vols' Sunday matinee at Thompson-Boling Arena, she told him: "Dad, I finally understand what my teammates said. You just know."

"You've got those feelings?'' Dad asked.

"Yeah, this is it,'' she said.

Tucker acted on those feelings after a second visit this weekend, choosing the Lady Vols and giving new coach Holly Warlick and her staff their first commitment from the Class of 2013.

The 6-foot guard from Randallstown, Md., is ranked No. 8 in her class by ESPN HoopGurlz. Her resume includes a gold medal as a member of USA Basketball's U16 team last summer. This year she was invited to the U17 World Championship team trials and was transferred to the U18 team trials roster.

Despite being sidelined with an ankle injury for part of last season at New Town High, she still averaged nearly 30 points per game. Tucker holds the school's single-game scoring record with 39 points.

Along with UT, her final choices were Penn State, West Virginia, Virginia and Villanova.

After their February trip, Robert advised his daughter to think it through and she complied. Tucker followed the Lady Vols through the season's duration. She processed an historic coaching transition in April when Pat Summitt stepped down after 38 seasons and Warlick, the longtime assistant, replaced her.

The return trip was in conjunction with UT's

summer camp. Tucker realized then that nothing had changed.

"I loved it before,'' she said on Monday. "I still love it now."

While Lady Vols assistant coach Dean Lockwood laid most of the recruiting groundwork, Warlick was a factor down the stretch. During her thought process, Tucker prepared as best she could for Tennessee's uncertain coaching future. She made a point of watching Warlick work on the sidelines and noted her involvement as much as the television broadcast would allow.

"I knew the standard at Tennessee wouldn't change regardless of who the coach was," Tucker said. "Holly really is an extension of Pat. I knew it wouldn't be a completely different program."

Warlick scored points with Tucker's father by visiting with him in February, before UT's game against Auburn.

"She just wanted to make sure that I was comfortable," Robert said. "I was extremely impressed with her professionalism."

The significance of being the first 2013 commitment of the Warlick era wasn't lost on Tucker, who said: "I really want to help bring back that tradition."

Tucker's father knew how his daughter felt. So he spent the weekend walking around UT's campus, getting a better feel for the place himself.

"For us, it's everything a student-athlete could want,'' Robert said. "For a high-caliber athlete not to see that, I don't know. She must be looking for something different."

Dan Fleser cover Tennessee women's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/FleserKNS and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/fleser

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

Detractors will say yay....but she isn't a center/forward.....OOPS she is # 8 recruit in class and a scorer! We haven't had anybody with those type of #'s in a while as I recall...Burdick nor Spani or Simmons averaging those #'s previously? So that could be a big help to open up inside/outside game.....Congrats to Coach Warlick and her fine team of recruiters!!

madrigal writes:

So we're not getting top recruits any more? Kwitcherbichin!

Jephry writes:

This is great news. Way to go Holly and company!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

Good get.....Welcome Jannah! Bring some like you with you! Hehehe...

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Big time recruit, that's what I'm talking about!!! Can't wait to see what the haters say about this. Waiting....

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Who cares what the haters think.

voloffaith writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Who cares what the haters think.

Sadly they do. It helps perpetuate their ability to survive in a world that didn't pamper/love them enough......they don't know Jesus as the true forgiver of sins and healer of hurts that would allow them to open up and be vulnerable to actually having relationships...I'm thankful for my heavenly Father along with my deceased papa for showing me the way to true peace and joy. On topic...congrats to a good start on 2013 class and get more on that Big Orange Train....all aboard...

SummittsCourt writes:

I guess Holly has this recruiting thing down "Pat" too. Maybe the naysayers were a bit premature to say the end is near.

Wayfarer writes:

Welcome to the Lady Vols Nation! I am glad to see a top 10 player choose the Lady Vols. I know that Holly can get it done with the staff she has surrounded herself with. Congratulations to player and the new Lady Vols staff.

rickangstadt#239402 writes:

Those who are smart enough to think for themselves and are true to their passion choose wisely.

voloffaith writes:

in response to rickangstadt#239402:

No slighting the ladies who all signed with tar Heels..........

ladyvolcp3 writes:

Welcome Jannah tucker....way to go holly i supported you for day one.

butch31 writes:

We got more coming LOL

voloffaith writes:

in response to butch31:

We got more coming LOL

Film at eleven right? Of course more are coming......just from where? You want a Mercedes R. don't ewe?

KennyGVolsFan writes:

You remember Elzy saying... "We just have to get that first big (one) then everyone is like, 'Oh, it's OK to go there,' ''

We got it!! Hopefully they will start rolling in!!! Man we could be looking at number 9, 10 and 11 if we can get Kaela Davis, Mercedes Russell and Rebecca Greenweel!!!

It's great to see we still have some top prospects interested in the Big ORANGE!!! Go Lady Vols!!!

KennyGVolsFan writes:

in response to KennyGVolsFan:

People will be saying North Carolina who???

Tennessee will be raking in the rest of the top of this class!!! Let's get'em Holly!!!

TheVolSnake writes:

Welcome Aboard Jannah tucker, you will be a great Vol.

voloffaith writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

Welcome Aboard Jannah tucker, you will be a great Vol.

Ladyvolcp3 also typed "Jannah tucker"......ewe the same since last name not capitilized? Just funny that both did that....

WCBB_FAN writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Russell is not coming to Tenn. She is debating between North Carolina and Louisville baby.

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

More good news for the Lady Vols; it's great to be a Vol fan.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

How do you know this?

MetroplexMojo writes:

Looks like she is a very consistent scorer. To average 30 a game with a high of 39 speaks very highly of her game-to-game consistency.

voloffaith writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

How about Muffet at "Norte" Dame? Thanks "baby" for the prediction.....if she comes to UT what will ewe say? It ain't over til it's over....

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I hope this is the start of many more top recruits..GLV!

voloffaith writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

As I stated earlier in the day that looks good. Question hit me later as to how rest of team scoring went...ya know did she jack it up 30 times a game and rest shot 30 together....how good was team as far as state championships...etc

VolsFan4Lyfe writes:

As far as Mercedes Russell is concerned if she wants to be a L.V. she will be. She did visit the campus twice, attended school while it was in session, and her mom made a comment a month or so before the N.C. crew made their decision...

She said something about Mercedes' decision being her own and it will surprise some people. So I think that may be reffering to her going her own way and I think UK, UT, and Louisville are her top choices. But only she really knows!

Furthermore congrats Jannah I've seen you play and you play with intensity on both sides of the ball...She will remind people of Diana Taurasi with her ability to create on offense, her size, and her ability to make the right play when its needed. And the only reason I didnt say Tamika Catchings or another UT Vol is because Diana is her closest resembelance which is fine with me so she can put daggers ( timely shots/ plays) in UCONN and the likes !!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Checked as best I could...small school was about #6 Maryland school nationally and was 93 nationally. Made playoffs and looked like lost in semifinal game. Some games only in the 40's for points. That looks like pretty much alone on offense. Did beat one team 101 to 4. So if she hadn't done her part on USA teams with good results then say above average player in a small school league. Yes I know we just don't offer anybody whether they drive a Mercedes or have Diamonds.....

Theo writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Here is what my "papa" taught me. You don't discuss religion or politics in polite company. All it does is make people uncomfortable or mad or both.

Theo writes:

Back on topic - Wecome Jannah! If you loved the Lady Vols on your visits wait until you get a load of the fan support! I think the recruiting prowess of coaches Warlick, Elzy and Law are going to impress for years to come.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

After Baylor wins again with Griner and co. It will be wide open again. If we get Russell and Davis we should be top 3 for the next four years. UNC will have the talent. Not so sure about the coaching. Uconn is scandalous. Look for there recruiting to dip after this Geno kissing scandal. Moms don't like that.

tnqball writes:

in response to KennyGVolsFan:

People will be saying North Carolina who???

Wow, if we could get Russell, Davis, and Greenwell with Tucker, nobody will be talking about NC's recruiting class. It would not compare! Go Lady Vols! On another note, I don't see why anyone would not want to be a Lady Vol. They are treated like rock stars here!!!

MikeInTN writes:

Did UConn recruit her?

WCBB_FAN writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

How do you know this?

Trust me I know what am talking about. I hate to see some of you fans set yourself up for a big disappointment when it's time for her to announce the college she plans to attend. Once again, Mercedes IS NOT going to commit to Tenn.

VolsFan4Lyfe writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

I think any fan would be disappointed not to grab her after she already said she has been a TN fan since she was younger and Candace Parker was her favorite player...

But do you have some sort of inside track we should know about? I still think her top choices are TN, UK, UL... she already said she wanted to be on an east coast type of setting. UNC has seven commitments for the 2013 class with Russell and Rebecca Greenwell still on their radar?!?

Another factor is that they like to keep the top prospects in state and Jatari White is the #3 overall player in the class of '14 and she is a top post in the country and guess what she is from NC...

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Still haven't answered the question of how do you know about Russell's intentions. I think you are just guessing. Nothing I have read gives any indications as to her intentions. Her own mother doesn't know from what I have read so how can you know?

BTW, as far as the disappointment IF she goes elsewhere, it want be the first #1 UT loses to another school and it want be the last. But thanks for your concern.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Theo:

Did "papa" love Jesus? That is some times a good indicator as to why certain talk ain't done in polite company. BTW being uncomfortable can be a good thing in case you didn't know...ie. I was uncomfortable going by the Cobra area...swimming 200 yards off the beach in Australia with Great Whites would make me uncomfortable....some are uncomfortable with spiritual conversation since they don't(me either) like being reminded they are sinning or contemplating such...Heavens to Betsy no politics/religion...oh I get sports is all we discuss......people need the truth of the Gospel and those they have to consider voting for also....if you get uneasy just walk away since those things don't matter I guess....Remember don't get mad 'get Glad'

A Huxtable shys not awayeth from general discussion.....ask Dr. Cliff

KennyGVolsFan writes:

Didn't Coach Pat Summitt's dad say... You don't take donkies to the kentucky derby!!!!

Woohoo, Holly following in Pat's footsteps!!! Yeehaw and I am along for the ride!! Go Lady Vols!!!

FanNotSheep writes:

Great to see this kind of player committing to the Lady Vols. Could be the catalyst for others to come on board.

I think the situation for the past two years has been really tough, with a void in leadership and no one feeling sure they had the right to step up to fill it. The team has not been well coached lately but that may not be a reflection on Holly as much as on the awkwardness of the situation. Hopefully this will be the first of a great many good things to come.

ModelMaker writes:

Great recruiting job for Holly. Jannah Tucker, if she is made out of the right stuff,could be a great asset to the team. She appears to have a lot of ability. Great shooter. You can't get enough of them. Now if we can get Russell and Davis we will have a lot of fun in 2013 and beyond. I am sitting here vicariously seeing 20,000 fans watching them play.

Theo writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

Wishful thinking from a troll. I don't think she knows where she is going at this point. So, unless your ouji board is working, you don't know either.

Theo writes:

in response to voloffaith:

A Huxtable shys not awayeth from general discussion.....ask Dr. Cliff

If you think sports, religion and politics are the only available topics for conversation it is no wonder you are not included in polite coversation. You should keep your religious blather to yourself. This is not the place. I can only imagine how furious you would be if a Buddist used this forum to expouse his religious beliefs.

Theo writes:

in response to voloffaith:

A Huxtable shys not awayeth from general discussion.....ask Dr. Cliff

Oh yea, I forgot. My father's religious beliefs are none of your dam business.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Theo:

Oh yea, I forgot. My father's religious beliefs are none of your dam business.

Sorry...I apologize for provoking you to anger...asking if you will forgive my type-speech that caused consternation. You and I have had amiable conversation b4 and I hope we will again. Again my faith is integral in my life and it comes into conversations all day long, but I don't wham people over the head and yell at them. Sometimes I ask questions to get better understanding of where they are, but never with the intent to raise up anger as I did with you.Dialogue is good if both parties understand that neither is searching with harm in mind. Sorry again....hope a forgiving spirit is there...if not I'll understand.

kazoo writes:

If the Vols want to return to prominence, Warlick and Co. will have to recruit better--too many high-ranked misses in recent years--and the team simply must get get better offensively, especially in the half-court. That has been a real weakness, and coaching failure, for years. This is a good pickup, and let's hope more are coming.

g-man writes: