Redshirt was time well spent for Quinton Chievous

Guard ready to contribute

Saul Young/News Sentinel

Photo by Saul Young, copyright © 2012

Saul Young/News Sentinel Quinton Chievous of Choice Spine is defended by Lester Wilson of DeRoyal during the Pilot Rocky Top League at Bearden High School on Wednesday.

Cam Tatum and Wayne Chism at the Pilot Rocky Top League

A long pause preceded the confession.

Leaning against the hallway wall at Bearden High School, Quinton Chievous was asked when the frustration set in last year. The 6-foot-5 guard never anticipated being asked to redshirt his freshman basketball season at Tennessee when he spurned Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus as a high school senior in Chicago.

"Going to practice and producing every day kind of made me upset," Chievous said Wednesday night, prior to taking the floor in Pilot Rocky Top League play. "I thought I could play."

The 2011-12 Vols season lasted an eternity for Chievous. All watch and no play.

All along, eyes were set on the 2012-13 season. Now it's around the corner and Chievous said the redshirt freshman year was time well spent.

"On the basketball part, I didn't know all the plays and I didn't know where to be on defense," he said. "Once I understood that, I realized the redshirt was good."

Starring on a Choice Spine team featuring UT teammate Jordan McRae and former UNC Asheville star J.P. Primm on Wednesday, Chievous made nine of 18 field goals and scored 23 points in a 115-96 win over DeRoyal Industries.

The performance followed a 30-point outburst on Monday night.

Scoring aside, Chievous is just happy to be on the floor. He'll officially play as a Vol for the first time in August when UT travels to Italy for a four-game tour.

"Last year I didn't even play in the first exhibition game, so I've never really been on the court with the team," said Chievous, who averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds per game as a senior at Notre Dame College Prep. "Going overseas, I'll probably be a little nervous getting in the game at first, but I feel like as soon as I make my first shot or get my first steal, I'll be at ease."

Once at ease, Chievous will look to establish himself in UT coach Cuonzo Martin's rotation. He says the void left by Cameron Tatum's graduation will need to be filled. Why not him?

"The three position is pretty wide open," he said. "Coach says he can see me playing anywhere from the two to the three and even the four. I can bring energy, knock down the open shot and help the team win."

Chievous said he's already proved as much as a practice player last year. Teammate Jordan McRae, whom Chievous will look to snag minutes from next season, can relate to the experience.

"My freshman year was a lot like his, except I should have redshirted and I didn't," said McRae, who scored 27 on Wednesday. "I tried to talk him through it. He went through some hard times, but I think it's going to pay off for him."

Asked what the biggest difference is between now and this time last year, Chievous again paused.

Things have changed.

"I think I have the upper hand now," Chievous said. "I was there last season and I know what's going on."

News Sentinel 120, Rice Buick GMC 111: In Monday night's opening game, former Vols Melvin Goins (28 points) and Cameron Tatum (25) carried the load for News Sentinel. Tennessee alum Wayne Chism scored 18 to lead Rice's seven double-digit scorers.

R. Larry Smith Insurance 121, Campus Lights 108: Former Vol Bobby Maze's game-high 32 points powered Smith Insurance past Campus Lights despite 25 points from Tyler Smith. UT's Josh Richardson and Skylar McBee added 23 and 12 for Smith Insurance.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

He will come to play this year! Go Vols!

Couchdummy writes:

"...when he spurned Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus as a high school senior in Chicago."

Not explained in article.

luvmatersoup writes:

This dude is going to be yet another one of the studds on our men's team!!! I truly believe the year off helped him to mature and now working our new strength coach....he's gonna lite it up! I know we've still got a little bit until the firs tip of the season but remember where everyone heard it first....Coach C is gonna Rocky Shock some folks! Go Vols and keep eating the tomato soup! Man it's great to be a VOL!!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to luvmatersoup:

Remember stud with two d's means ewe really,really,really bad momma jama.....Reminding you that Toe-may-toe may be too acidic for some......

His mother is MissCheivious no Chievous...make papa from Marquette days proud on and off the court...

jack4444 writes:

Derrick Chievous played at Missouri.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Vol for Gzus

I like your wit and clever abbreviations, friend. Keep em' coming.

Also, like the sound of this player and the prospects for the team this year.

Go Vols and go Vol4gzus. ( Like that screen name. )

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Both McRay and Golden should have redshirted. I've been telling folks about this kid for some time now. The WestKnoxRepo crowd keeps screaming "he's just another 3*"! NOOO he's not. He was a 3* because he didn't have AAU exposure. His dad chose to invest more in personal training for Quinton. Training in different areas....basketball, performance (weight,speed,agility) training, the whole 9 yards. Basically his dad put more into PREPARING him for college ball than he put into getting him EXPOSURE for college ball. I really like that approach and wish more parents would take it. The kid has a really good skillset. But lots of kids have a good skillset, so what makes him different? A 50" vertical leap.

Harrit writes:

C. Martin is building a program right before our eyes. There's something to be said of player development. Not every superstar was a McDonalds H.S. All-American. Would like to see the Vols sign a viable 'big' to play along side Stokes, provided Stokes is still here in another year. Vols hoops is definately headed in the right direction.

BigBadVol writes:

Like I have said from the beginning, give CM enough time and we will be a final four team within four years.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Quality post, RR.

MikeInTN writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Just a thought...recruit 4 & 5 star players that have those characteristics/skillsets. They are out there...IMO Coach Martin needs to get those caliber players to consistently compete with KY for championships. I wish him the best in doing just that!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Witch Doctor say good stuff RR. Witch Doctor cant wait to see that vertical this fall!
Bones never lie.

hikerdude writes:

I think we ought to watch him play at least one game before we predict that he will take us to the promised land.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to hikerdude:

Witch Doctor agree and say maybe its like reading what other posted before posting someone said he was gonna take us to the promised land? lol.
Bones never lie.

voloffaith writes:

in response to jack4444:

Derrick Chievous played at Missouri.

Yes indeed he did ...I humbly submit my resignation as I falsely spoke to the congress...oops...wrong audience...I inaccurately had his father at Al Mcguire school when ,as corrected, he was at Mizzou...thank you!!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to hikerdude:

Or perhaps we should watch him play before we assume he's no good.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Or perhaps we should watch him play before we assume he's no good.

Would that be what we grew up hearing as,'give him/her the benefit of the doubt?'

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Ok I'm excited. I want to see our team play NOW!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Yes sir.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Just because Tatum graduated doesn't mean the three is the only position open. From my view point, both the two and three are wide open and the one is somewhat open. If Stokes is the four, the five is open, too. If he is the five, then the four is open, too.

voloffaith writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

That raises the greater question......" whose on first? "

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

What about Maymon?

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to Couchdummy:

Not explained in article.

Do you really need that explained? Oh wait, I just read your handle....That means that Chievous was thought to be going to play for Saint Louis until he decided to come to Tennessee. Rick Majerus is an NCAA Basketball Coach that has been around a long time. He's currently the Head Coach at Saint Louis (that's in Missouri, one of the 50 states that makes up the United States of America).

VolGrad writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

What about Maymon?

I think he had a "senior" moment there. I should know. I have them quite often myself.

Maymon and Stokes are solid at their positions.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Maymon and Stokes are solid at their positions.

I have those moments myself from time to time.

volnvette03 writes:

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

Renegade, althought you make an excellent point about the KY's and Dookies of the world getting all the 4-5s, look at the ex Bama coach grabbing three McD's AAs! That equals the total Duke and Carolina got. So maybe there is a chance things will change for CCM!

volhitman writes:

in response to voloffaith:

That raises the greater question......" whose on first? "

Yes, he is.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to volhitman:

Yes, he is.

If Yes is on first then where's who?

Oh and "gzus" I guess you probably saw the "whose" thing after hitting enter. For the uneducated trolls though it should be "Who's on first". We don't won't any northerners or any westeners thinking that UT ain't edgicated.
I don't normally like to point these things out as I make these errors too. but Hey I'm bored and don't want to go outside and work in the garden. Too hot.

voloffaith writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

If Yes is on first then where's who?

Thanks! We all know that whose is possessive......glad ewe helped out the grammar poleece....

The_Ron_Burgundy writes:

Glad to see that he did not want to redshirt last year but it probably was best for him to sit out. Martin is getting players that want to compete. I would love to see Q get some minutes this season and bust his tail for us to give some other guys a break. Or if guys like McRae get lazy, it's good to know that we have guys that want to get in there and take their spot.

Coach Martin has a good thing going on. Loved Coach Pearl, but he is no longer the coach. you keep looking in the rearview mirror and your going to crash. I think we are in good hands with Martin.

in response to volnvette03:

Mark Gottfried had some pretty good players when he was at Bama, too. I was never sure how it went bad for him there. Now he is recruiting for NC State, which most would say has more basketball history than UT.

As I have said on here before, CCM is not a "star" coach, he is a "program" coach. Some coaches and some schools are just more successful than others at attracting the big-name players. Most others depend on finding coachable guys who are willing to work hard to develop within a team concept. Come to think of it, that is how MOST coaches and schools did it before recruiting became a sport all its own and all the great young players went to the pros before they had a chance to learn their way around a campus.

in response to RockyTopRenegade:

What you said! After next season, the word will be out among the true quality kids who are also great players, and the Vols will get their share.