UTPD: Cameron Clear was selling stolen items

Search warrant turned up nothing in dorm room

Cameron Clear

Cameron Clear

The same afternoon former Tennessee tight end Cameron Clear was found in possession of a stolen laptop at Neyland Stadium, a search warrant for 10 items totaling $5,170 was executed on Clear's Gibbs Hall dorm room.

The search, however, came up empty. A search online by police, turned up plenty.

According to a warrant issued by University of Tennessee Police Department following Clear's arrest on the afternoon of May 22, none of the 10 missing items were discovered in his room.

The affidavit submitted by detective Amanda Crum in the warrant's application states, "Clear has also posted listings on several websites stating he had items matching the general description of the stolen items for sale."

That list is lengthy.

The property in the affidavit coincides with 10 of 12 items included on a theft report filed on May 19 by five UT baseball players as well as a missing laptop reported by Galen Campbell, a walk-on member of last season's UT men's basketball team. The report was obtained by the News Sentinel through an open records request.

The two items not listed on the baseball player's theft report were the MacBook Pro laptop and charger being used by Clear at the time of his arrest. That laptop matched the serial number of the MacBook Pro reported stolen by UT pitcher Brandon Zajac.

Clear was caught with the stolen property when he logged into the university's Wi-Fi system, alerting officials.

Zajac and the other four baseball players — first-baseman/outfielder Richard Carter, who's no longer on the team, pitcher Robbie Kidd, infielder Will Maddox and pitcher Connor Stevens — reported a burglary of their dorm rooms on May 19. Maddox and Kidd shared a room in Gibbs, as did Sevens and Carter.

Carter reported a missing MacBook Pro valued at $1,200; Stevens reported a HP Pavilion laptop and headphones worth a combined $1,150; Kidd reported a missing small flatscreen television, a Sony Vaio laptop and an XBox worth a combined $800; Maddox reported a MacBook Pro, a computer case and high-end headphones valued jointly

at $1,520.

The laptop belonging to Maddox was valued at 1,358.93 in the theft report, but $1,200 in the warrant.

Campbell, a former standout at Fulton High School, filed a police report on March 11 after his Toshiba laptop valued at $500 went missing from his room. Its description matches the Toshiba laptop included in the May 22 warrant.

That burglary was believed by police to correlate with robberies of three other UT athletes living at Gibbs.

Three days after Campbell's laptop was stolen, Brandon Lopez, a UT basketball walk-on from Austin-East, reported a PlayStation 3 valued at $600 missing from his room.

One month later and two days before UT's Orange and White Game on April 21, UT football players Da'Rick Rogers and Michael Palardy contacted police. In a seven-hour span, Rogers told police his MacBook Pro valued at $1,300 was taken from his room and Palardy said his MacBook Pro valued at $1,840 vanished along with a computer charger.

Clear, 19, faces a felony charge of theft up to $10,000 in connection with the theft of Zajac's laptop. He is free on $2,500 bond and scheduled for a July 11 court date.

The 6-foot-6, 283-pound tight end from Memphis was dismissed by UT coach Derek Dooley on May 25. Considered a future star in the 2011 signing class, he appeared in 12 games as a freshman, catching one pass.

Clear is now expected to continue to his football career at Arizona Western College. Coach Tom Minnick told the News Sentinel in a June 5 e-mail that Clear will be on the junior college campus in July.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

rampsneggs writes:

I guess Arizona Western hopes he can play and practice between court dates in Knoxville.

VAvolfanRON writes:

lock him up..i just dont understand

kevin151 writes:

Sounds like Dooley tried to sweep this under the rug at first. Clear sounds like a great guy!

volsreign writes:

Either I'm more dense than normal tonight or this article is a little confusing. Where were the other items listed for sale? Were they ever recovered? If so, where were they hidden and if not, was he successful in selling them? What happened to them? Also, what kind of punishment is he facing? Will he not be in the pokey come football season? Inquiring minds want to know. As you can see I'm very bored.

rampsneggs writes:

After rereading the article I still found nothing that suggest Dooley did any sweeping.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to rampsneggs:

No, but Cam was cleaning house..

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to rampsneggs:

About a month before Cam was arrested there was quite a bit of chatter that Cam had been caught stealing from teammates. When Dooley was asked about it he became defensive and called it "message board journalism". A month later he gets nailed stealing from baseball players and it looks like that has lead back to the previous incident... Which it looks like was more than "message board journalism". Atleast that's how I see it. But that's all water under the bridge, we got a HUGE football season coming up.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

Nothing lower than a squad bay thief.
Lock his behind up.
Semper Fi.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to rampsneggs:

Lock your doors Arizona Western!!!

Ironcity writes:

Sounds to me like his playing career may be delayed a couple of years.

sambad writes:

He should be in jail. There is nothing lower than a thief and especially a thief stealing from his fellow athletes.

rockypop writes:

I don't know about the backgrounds of anybody else on this board, but I can attest to knowing athletes in college who were so desperately poor, as to cause me to feel things I never imagined.

I was a scholarship athlete, and frankly I didn't need the money, because my parents had enough to send me through college.

I knew guys that took money from boosters because they absolutely needed it. And, I never thought another thing about it. I hope that Cam Clear is one of those guys, at least, that had a reason. That surely doesn't make what he did right, but it explains it.

He still deserves whatever punishment he gets, but maybe we can forgive him based on his circumstances. I hope so.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to sambad:

keepitreal4vols writes:

Head scratcher.....

Huttdawg100 writes:

Being objective, Dooley clearly took the best course of action. If he covered it up (I believe he did), Clear forced his hand by continuing to steal.

I think Dooley has done well regarding discipline issues: Janzen Jackson, Clear, etc. He's been ok recruiting; he's a slow starter, but he picks up steam when signing day gets close. He's upgraded the staff, but.....

I just don't see this guy catching Saban, Spurrier or Richt. I hope he proves me wrong. The loss to KY and seeing Kiffin do so well at USC just accelerates the process for me.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Do you honestly think you're the only fan on here growing inpatient?? CDD wasn't my or UT's first pick, but he came with high praise from Peterson, Muschamp and Saban. UT must win at least 9 games this year and I believe it also means a win over UF to save his job. GBO!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I believe Cam was suspected, and there were rumors. Some journalists ran with it. There was apparently no proof, just suspicions, and Dooley did all he could. You can't punish a kid because of suspicions.

When he was caught with the laptop, the jig's up. As soon as there was evidence/proof, Dooley was quick to act. That's all we can ask, and we shouldn't go jumping to cover-up.

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I said after the UK loss and got hammered for it, that the pressure would be up this year because of it.
I believe that losses to NCS and UF would mean another coach by the end of Sept. (probably Sunseri)
I really hope that doesn't happen and don't think it will.
But the UK loss cost Coach Dooley a full year to compete at the highest level.
Beat UK and he could have survived this year with 6 or 7 wins.
Not now.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Nah... I know I'm not the only one.

I just feel like the guy that broke up with his nice looking girlfriend that could cook and was very motherly (Fulmer) to go out with this hot 5 star super model (Kiffin) but she dumped me and I end up going to the bar in my depression, drinking one too many and I gave my number to a lady with facial hair and we end up dating because I'm lonely (Dooley).

Interesting article about the nations top recruiters:

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

It wasn't suspicions if he did it. It was factual and it got leaked to the media.

fearthehound writes:

in response to rockypop:

Puhleeze. There have been many a 'poor persons' who didn't feel the need to steal from their teammates. It's good to have a big heart, but let's don't get carried away--this guy should be in jail. It takes some cool, hard calculations to manage to take stuff from your friends and turn around and sell it. Some people be just bad.

fearthehound writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Nah... I know I'm not the only one.

Interesting article about the nations top recruiters:

Hot dang, man. I think Dooley's better than that. Let's see you go in after the hot supermodel gets done losing an ENTIRE recruiting class and fix it to where a bunch of freshmen can go up against the LSU's, Alabamas and Georgias and turn it around in two short years. Hey, I got an idea, lets boot him and start all over. We should recover by, say, 2016.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Nah... I know I'm not the only one.

Interesting article about the nations top recruiters:

NCSU is shaping up to be CDD Super Bowl, and if he comes back to Neyland and loses to Muskrat, bad things man..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to atributetoLombardiwasbanned:

I really hope that doesn't happen and don't think it will.
But the UK loss cost Coach Dooley a full year to compete at the highest level.
Beat UK and he could have survived this year with 6 or 7 wins.
Not now.

No doubt, he laid the ground work for his own termination with that egg he laid at UK..Dave Hart won't be so kind this time around..I hope he gets it done because unless UT hires a huge name (which they won't) UT will start all over again restocking athletes after defections..

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

No. In hindsight, we know it was factual. At the time it was only suspicions. Until Dilbert logged onto the university's network on the stolen laptop, nobody had any proof. My guess is there were circumstances that caused some people involved (probably the victims) to suspect Clear, but they didn't have any proof. The media got hold of the rumors and ran with it because it was sensational.

Accusing CDD of a cover-up is called slander, and foolishness. Look what a cover-up of a simple NCAA violation by players cost the Sweater-vest, and then tell me (with a straight face) that you think Dooley would be stupid enough to cover up a felony.

Look around. Pearl was fired for trying to cover up a minor violation. Joe Pa was fired for not reporting a possible crime properly (probably a cover-up). Jim Tressel was fired for covering up an NCAA violation by players. The list goes on. At this point in time, coaches know it's their arse if they cover-up anything illegal.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to atributetoLombardiwasbanned:

I really hope that doesn't happen and don't think it will.
But the UK loss cost Coach Dooley a full year to compete at the highest level.
Beat UK and he could have survived this year with 6 or 7 wins.
Not now.

I don't think losses to them would get him fired so quickly. Hart isn't stupid. Doing that would only guarantee a horrible season. Besides that, those are good teams. If we take beatdowns from them, or if we lose to any lesser teams, then he has a lot to worry about.

Can't lose to UK or Vandy. Can't get embarrassed by anybody, including Bama. Must be competitive in every game and win at least one or two we aren't supposed to.

fearthehound writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Wow, you are truly a genius. You must have used all eight years of your education to come up with that one!!

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to fearthehound:

I concur!

Razor784 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

8 years probably just covers his high school years

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Isn't Kentucky a Common-trash state??

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to EightLetters:

EightLetters....******** (richard cranium)

BillsBrother writes:

in response to atributetoLombardiwasbanned:

I really hope that doesn't happen and don't think it will.
But the UK loss cost Coach Dooley a full year to compete at the highest level.
Beat UK and he could have survived this year with 6 or 7 wins.
Not now.

I think you have grossly miscalculated on many levels. Sunseri as head coach?? Even on an interim basis?? HA! He has served one game as a head coach and his resume doesn't even show coordinator experience in the last ten years.

If this post shows the limits of your football acumen, you should be hammered for this opinion.

fearthehound writes:

in response to Razor784:

8 years probably just covers his high school years

You are way too kind Razor. High School? Not a chance. Hey, where is our friend, the Witch Doctor? We need some of that jungle wisdom here.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Nah... I know I'm not the only one.

Interesting article about the nations top recruiters:

Is the NCAA investigation from Kiffin the equivalent to catching a STD from the supermodel in your analogy?

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

This has nothing to do with football acumen.
It has to do with what will be accepted and what won't.
Lose to UK to end season 2 and start season 3 with losses to NCS and UF?
Hammer away little feller.

rsummie#211799 writes:

If Clear doesn't get some jail time out of this it's a compete travesty.

eRUPPtionBLUE writes:

Oh, no!! The NBA stole our CATS!!

Anthony Davis at No. 1 to New Orleans Hornets. (1st Rd.)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at No. 2. to Charlotte Bobcats. (1st Rd.)
Terrance Jones at No. 18 to Houston Rockets. (1st Rd.)
Marquis Teague at No. 20 to the Chicago Bulls. (1st Rd.)
Doron Lamb at No. 42 to Milwaukee Bucks. (2nd Rd.)
Darius Miller at No. 46 to New Orleans Hornets. (2nd Rd.)

RockyTopVolFan writes:

in response to EightLetters:

You are an idiot to paint the entire University of Tennessee student body, employees, supporters, alumni, and athletes as such. I will recommend your comment be removed as insulting everyone because of the alleged sins of one or a very few individuals.

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

"UT must win at least 9 games this year and I believe it also means a win over UF to save his job."

Neither of which will happen.

Be real.

wsmows writes:

Wow looks like the Big Orange out on Maloney Rd.are going to pick up a five star.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

LOL. Yeah!

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Ummmmm. That's a good point, but it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

Tressel covered up to play ineligible players that had received extra benefits; that one sparked an NCAA violation. Pearl covered up because.... I don't know what Pearl was thinking because that barbecue was only a minor infraction; that one took place during an NCAA investigation. I really don't see how Joe Pa relates to this...

Clear's actions were all on him and had nothing to do with an NCAA investigation or violation. Dooley didn't do anything illegal or violate an NCAA bylaw by giving Clear a warning instead of kicking him off the team immediately.

Dooley has a clear discipline pattern: Darren Myles, Janzen Jackson, Cam Clear all look to have gotten 2 chances that we know of. In each case, the second time led to dismissal from the team. I completely agree with his approach. Basilio reported that Clear had been stealing in April; that was Clears first chance. Then he did it again and got caught by UTPD Blue. Dooley stuck to his pattern.

TheVolSnake writes:

This is getting ridiculous this is the 5th that I know of on Cam Clear and the stolen items.

Here is some much better items to cover.

The site has not covered any of the committed recruits over the last two weeks. I guess our future QB and OL is not that important to KNS? Sorry I don't count Paid sites (Vol 247) as being covered.

We had several camps over the last month and not one covered.

Commissioners meeting (what impacts can be expected for the Vols?)

The death of the mother of one of our players.

How about a player profile once every two days? We have a lot of great players that the Vol Nation would like to know about.

How about a Coach’s corner where each Coach buts and a short paragraph once a week of the status of the Vols, or anything they want to bring up. (For example Jay G. could talk about the running backs and what they are doing to improve, when a running back recruit is committed how that player MAY fit into the program)

There is a lot more items that could and should be covered; I completely understand neutral journalism and the need to point out positives as well as negatives. But it appears to me that KNS wants to cover the Bad much more than the good.

TheVolSnake writes:

Sorry I had to go back and make some corrections on my last post:

This is getting ridiculous this is the 5th Article that I know of on Cam Clear and the stolen items. Here is some much better items to cover.

We had several camps over the last month and not one covered.

Commissioners meeting (what impacts can be expected for the Vols?)

The death of the mother of one of our players.

How about a Coach’s corner where each Coach puts in an a short paragraph once a week of the status of the Vols, or anything they want to bring up. (For example Jay G. could talk about the running backs and what they are doing to improve, when a running back recruit is committed how that player MAY fit into the program)

jrobi124 writes:

I don't understand how some of you trolls accuse CDD of trying to covering it up.what was he suppose to do when the accusation first came out was he suppose to kick him off the team or punish him. remember Dooley has a law degree and we are innocent before we are guilty. Now look at his record he has given these kids a way to redeem their ways but in this case his action is a thief doesn't get second chances.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to jrobi124:

Yes they are correct that was “RUMORED” that he was involved a month plus prior to the arrest, I or anyone outside the organization knows the bottom line on this but, I would bet that they were told not to come out and say anything by law enforcement so they could do a complete investigation.

If you notice Law enforcement was monitoring the web and what computer was logged in to catch the thief and if anyone else was involved. So as far as a cover up I don’t think this happened I truly feel this was a case of the organization being told not to take or pursue anything as not to interfere with the investigation by law enforcement.

As you noticed they recovered all the missing items and who was buying if the organization had come forward or did their own investigation it would have dramatically hindered the Law enforcement investigation and recovery of stolen items.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

Neither of which will happen.

Be real.

That's your opinion and you know what you can do with it..CYA in the funny papers.

Chappy writes:

in response to eRUPPtionBLUE:

Oh, no!! The NBA stole our CATS!!

Anthony Davis at No. 1 to New Orleans Hornets. (1st Rd.)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at No. 2. to Charlotte Bobcats. (1st Rd.)
Terrance Jones at No. 18 to Houston Rockets. (1st Rd.)
Marquis Teague at No. 20 to the Chicago Bulls. (1st Rd.)
Doron Lamb at No. 42 to Milwaukee Bucks. (2nd Rd.)
Darius Miller at No. 46 to New Orleans Hornets. (2nd Rd.)

Oh, no!! We've got a dufus KY jelly troll on our board! Even his own KY jelly friends won't talk to him, so he comes here to be acknowledged by someone!

jopad writes:

Can't believe some of you people. I guess if one of the dorm room sinks stopped up, it would be Dooley's fault

RashaadSalabeb writes:

This is old news! We all know he is a thief. Let's move on and how about writing some quality articles about the football program....of a positive nature.

Go Big Orange!