Tennessee Vols learning proper nutrition

KNOXVILLE -- Call it Jordan McRae's secret.

The Tennessee basketball guard admitted Wednesday night before his Rocky Top League game that he had too much body fat. Good luck finding it on the 6-foot-5, 174-pound junior's wiry frame, but he blamed the golden-arched fast-food joint that is just steps away from UT's campus.

Then Nicodemus Christopher was hired 30 days ago as the basketball Volunteers' strength coach.

"I was a big McDonald's fiend before he came here," McRae said with a smile. "I had a lot of fat, believe it or not. I'm trying to tone down on that."

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Hard to imagine Jordan had too much body fat! Proper sports nutrition these days goes far beyond weight and body-fat control. Building strength and endurance are vital for every athlete, but it is sometimes hard to convince young guys that it really DOES matter how, when, and what you eat if you want to be at your best at all times.

ivyvol writes:

Now that they are learning how to eat all they need is Dooley to come over and teach them how to shower. Here come the Sanduskey comments.

VolGrad writes:

Jordan is definitely athletic, and I hope adding weight and fitness to his core will translate to the games where he admits he was knocked off balance and kept from finishing once he got inside.

Keep grinding guys. Go Vols!

in response to VolGrad:

Keep grinding guys. Go Vols!

As a formerly skinny guy who took it to the hoop a lot, I say the main thing is not to try so hard to AVOID getting hit or having your shot blocked. If you go inside a lot, you are GOING to get hit. What you have to do is keep your eyes on the rim so you can finish even if you DO get hit. I just laugh when I see so many guys these days who just SPASM when they get hit on a shot, throwing the ball over the basket while trying to draw a foul. They have NO CHANCE to make the basket and they may not get the call, either. If you are not flat-out knocked down or your arms aren't grabbed, it is your JOB to make the best attempt possible to make the shot and let the officials make the call or not.

RoadTrip writes:

KNS - can you hire CTFP's Patrick Brown and bring him back to Knoxville? His last two articles have been the more informative and interesting than any that have been on this site in months.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I like this article as well. Nutrition is still a new area for doctors to consider in helping patients. The idea of hiring a nutritional expert to help our team is fairly new. It can only help. The cool thing is that it will help these players throughout life.
My former diet of cokes and doughnuts, exreme carbs and bad fats, along with cigars, cigarettes, and lots of beer, helped me to two heart attacks by 47. Now it's low carbs very little bad fats no beer, cigars, or cigs. Listen to the coach.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

The idea of hiring a nutritional expert to help our team is fairly new?????
We have had a nutritionist on staff for over ten years. What have they been doing? Maybe Hart needs to be looking at the staff and not worrying about cutting BB walkons.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to budd#207344:

The idea of hiring a nutritional expert to help our team is fairly new?????

This is standard operating procedure for most Division 1 programs. This is just now happening at UT. This is very discouraging news. World class training facilities and a Smokey Mtn Market training table. We are years behind other programs in this respect. BonzaiVol

UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST writes:

What about proper shower technique?

snakeplissken writes:

in response to budd#207344:

The idea of hiring a nutritional expert to help our team is fairly new?????

Allison Maurer has been there for many years and is one of the best sports nutritionists in the nation! I wonder if there's just no communication in our Athletic Dept.?????

in response to UTistheOLEMISSoftheEAST:

What about proper shower technique?

Typical DA copycat remark from you. Didn't you even notice that somebody else beat you to this lame comment just a few posts previous? Just couldn't wait to get in a jab, even if you can't come up with an original idea. How lame.

UTKin1992 writes:

Good grief. Things were worse than I assumed on Rocky Top.

Our competition is collecting 5* athletes and winning championships. We're a group home for average players who have to be shown how to shower and eat properly.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to budd#207344:

The idea of hiring a nutritional expert to help our team is fairly new?????

Like I said!? new. New as in the meds arena fairly new. Don't be a dinglehead.

VictorKruger writes:

My takeaway from this article is that the players relate well to Nicodemus Christopher, so they are more likely to follow his advice. Last year, Golden and Maymon shaped up under the guidance of Troy Willis, but apparently McRae did not. It really does not matter what resources a person has available to them if they're not going to have the personal responsibility to use them. McRae seems to be finally taking advantage of the strength coach.

in response to UTKin1992:

Good grief. Things were worse than I assumed on Rocky Top.

Well, again, this is nothing more than another cheap shot from someone who can't even be original with his slams. As short as this thread is, two other people already beat you to the inane comment about showering, and even 5-star athletes need to learn how to eat right for maximum development and performance. With all the more legitimate, if debatable, concerns one might express about the state of UT athletics, this is pretty far down the list of any but the most small-minded.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VictorKruger:

I expect NICO (much easier) is right there in these player's faces. (or bellies if you prefer)
McRae may need to bulk up some I guess. But I'm not convinced that's gonna keep his shooting form or help his basket attack in traffic. I've seen Tatum miss when defenders would get out of his way after all. I'm just saying McRae has to finish at the basket and follow through on his shots. A few pounds may help.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I'm not sure Jordan needs to bulk up. It never hurts to be stronger, but the main thing he--and all the rest of them, for that matter--needs to keep in mind is simply to FINISH THE SHOT. As you said, keep your eyes on the goal at all times, don't get distracted by defenders, play through the contact, and put it in the basket. If a few extra pounds on the frame--and/or a few more pounds on the bench-press--gives him the confidence to do that, that is all he needs, or all we should expect of him, to be much more effective on his drives.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I confess I derived at this no bulk needed too much for Jordan from an earlier post of yours. I agreed then too.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

It is a common misconception among many who see a "skinny" athlete in a contact sport like college basketball that he would be better off with more weight. Jordan just has a skinny frame that may not be able to carry much more weight at his age without taking away from his quickness and agility. More strength and a better level of fitness, yes, of course those would help him or any other athlete. But just adding weight for the sake of getting bigger or looking better on the beach, no.

To illustrate that lesson further, I read an article in a golf magazine trying to analyze why Tiger Woods was not only not playing well some months back but why he seemed to have more and more injuries, especially to his knees. It said that when Tiger was unquestionably above everybody else in the game, he was slim and wiry-strong in a way that maximized his talent. However, just before his downfall, he became obsessed with becoming the strongest and most-physically imposing man in the game, with the result that he came to look more like a linebacker than a golfer. His swing looked tied-up and out of control and his more serious leg injuries showed up shortly after he put on the extra weight. We surely wouldn't want anything like to happen to Jordan!

BTW, I don't mean to pound you over the head with this or even to suggest that you don't know this also. I'm just bored and this was just another opportunity to ride a favorite hobby-horse of mine!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree with everything but the last paragragh. I enjoy your posts as I do some others on here. It's really why I come to this site...not as much for the articles. Belevie me there is much that I do not know.
Nutrition though is a bit of a hobby for me i.e.
I have some health issues. Nutrition understanding has literally added years to my life. I hope Jordan gets off the hamburgers and fries...even more so the colas...for his future health...regardless of bball.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Like I said!? new. New as in the meds arena fairly new. Don't be a dinglehead.

If you think nutrition is a new concept in the medical field you need to get out more. As another poster correctly indicated we have had a nationally known nutritionist on staff for over ten years. This is just either lack of communication or lack of the last trainer to use the tools available. But it sure aint new.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to budd#207344:

???? Some of you posterers are SoSOSosssssoooooooooooliteral! I bet you still read the old NKJ!
Besides that you misread me...that said I DO need to get out more...beside the point though.

10-20 year IS new morons. You guys must be teenagers.lol
We did get a new trainer btw. My point was that 10-20 years ago MOST (not all) doctors knew nothing about nutrition as a healing method. Thus all those pills for the symptoms and not the cure. Trainers and nutritional supplements have been around far longer than 20 years. The emphasis earlier was not on nutrition however. It was more on keeping the joints and bones iced and wrapped etc. I'm not a trainer. I just saw plenty of it happening in the past.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

10-20 year IS new morons. You guys must be teenagers.lol

OK I should have said you misunderstood. Not Misread. I did say that it was new to the team...but I was thinking new in that nutrition is now emphasized where in the past it wasn't so much.

Besides I guess I shouldn't have used the "moron" word as some think it's a personal attack.hehe

VolzsFan writes:

in response to ivyvol:

It might be easier to take a shower at Penn State than to be a UT football fan. Thanks Hammy.

VolzsFan writes:

Maybe that diet dude can help poor Andre out.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

10-20 year IS new morons. You guys must be teenagers.lol

If 10-20 years is new to you then I understand your post.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Wow, the fact that you would rather take a shower with Sandusky than be a UT fan says a lot about you. Thank goodness you don't want to be a UT fan.