Tennessee defeats LSU 74-69 in overtime

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Tennessee continued its late-season surge with an impressive 74-69 overtime victory against LSU in a Southeastern Conference game Wednesday night.

The Volunteers, who never led in regulation, got nine points from Trae Golden in the extra period to come away with their seventh victory in the last eight games.

That means Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin is talking NCAA tournament with one game remaining in the regular season.

"I said it when we played Florida at home the first time," Martin said. "I said we were a NCAA tournament team at that point. I still feel like we're a NCAA tournament team. We've got to do our job and do our part, but I think we're a NCAA tournament team."

Counzo Martin on Tennessee's win OT win over LSU

With the come-from-behind victory against LSU, the Volunteers (17-13, 9-6) remained tied with Alabama for fourth place in the Southeastern Conference standings. Tennessee and Alabama are just one game behind Florida and Vanderbilt, who are tied for second in the standings.

Golden's three-point play with 1:27 remaining in overtime gave the Vols the lead for good at 66-63. A basket by Johnny O'Bryant left the Tigers (17-12, 7-8) behind by one point. But, Cameron Tatum's field goal with 34 seconds remaining again gave Tennessee a three-point lead.

After Justin Hamilton missed a 3-point attempt on the Tigers' next possession, Golden made six straight free throws in the final 16 seconds to clinch the Volunteers' victory.

"It was just a great, great win for our program," Martin said. "We did a great job of accepting the challenge, making adjustments in the second half and finishing strong in overtime."

Tennessee took its first lead of the game when Tatum connected on a 3-pointer in the first 30 seconds of overtime. LSU tied the score at 63 as Andre Stringer made 3 of 4 foul shots on the next two possessions. There were no points scored again until Golden had his three-point play.

Jarnell Stokes was the leading scorer for Tennessee (17-13, 9-6) with 18 points. Golden and Jeronne Maymon each had 14 for the Vols, who trailed by as many as 15 points in the first half.

"We didn't have an offensive rebound or shoot a free throw the whole first half," Martin said. "Our big guys accepted the challenge. Jarnell is really just scratching the surface. He's finding his way and learning a new system against great and talented SEC players."

Hamilton led LSU with 17 points. Anthony Hickey had 12 points, while O'Bryant added 11. After shooting 52 percent from the field (13 of 25) in the first half, the Tigers made just 11 field goals over the next 25 minutes.

"That's painful," LSU coach Trent Johnson said. "We had great energy and played a really good first half. We had a lot of opportunities. We had a lot of shots that didn't go down for us.

"Defensively, we had a hard time guarding them in the post because we gambled. Stokes goes 9 out of 10 (from the field) and Maymon was everything he should be down the stretch. This was probably the toughest loss we've had this year."

The Volunteers, who trailed by 11 at the break, outscored LSU 11-2 to pull within two points with less than four minutes elapsed in the second half. Tatum converted a three-point play and Stokes made two field goals as the run left the Vols behind 37-35.

A basket by Stringer and a 3-pointer by Hickey enabled LSU to extend its lead to six points at 42-36. However, the Volunteers once again cut the Tigers' advantage to two points at 45-43. Maymon scored seven consecutive points during that stretch for Tennessee.

On the verge of losing its lead, LSU got a field goal from Storm Warren and another 3-pointer from Hickey to go on top 50-43 with 9:37 remaining in regulation. Less than a minute later, the Vols trailed by just three points after both Golden and Maymon sank two foul shots.

Tennessee finally drew even with the Tigers for the first time since the first four minutes of the game on a jumper by Stokes, tying the score at 57. LSU regained the lead on Hickey's third 3-pointer of the game.

The Volunteers knotted it again at 60, when Maymon, who had put Tennessee within one point on a field goal, made 1 of 2 free throws with 2:16 to go in regulation. Hickey missed a runner in the lane at the buzzer, forcing overtime.

LSU's four post players were responsible for nearly all of its offensive production while building a 35-24 halftime lead. On Senior Night, senior reserves Malcolm White and Warren were given starts. In the first half, White had seven points and Warren added six.

Hamilton and O'Bryant, the normal two inside starters, accounted for 15 first-half points. Hamilton had nine points and O'Bryant six. The four post players combined for eight rebounds and four blocked shots before halftime.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Related Stories

VOL1972 writes:

I missed a good game here. After watching the better part of the first half and UT down by double digits, I lost interest. I haven't been a believer, but I'm beginning to now.

I thought the VOLS would be better once Stokes got his legs under him but I thought we'd be spoilers at best. I still don't see how we make it to the Big Dance, but I'm starting to think anything is possible -- like UT making it to the finals of the SEC tourey.

GO VOLS! I won't change the channel again.

John_10065 writes:

Most of the first half was awful. I literally screamed at the PC that the ball went in from the other side of the hoop at one point after 4 or 5 bricks in a row were shot.

UT put the pedal to the metal on D throughout most of the game and that kept them relatively close enough so when their shooting feet got under them they got back into the game.

It was a tough game to watch through the first half but beating LSU on their Senior night was sweet!

brod writes:

what a thriller. good use of time outs by martin at the end of regulation. that eliminated the possiblilty of making a turnover like golden did at the end of the mississippi st. game. the whole team had to step up to pull this one off. maymon must realize that he is only 6-7, and needs to take good shot selection against defenders who are 4-5 inches taller than him.
i don't know about all this ncaa tourney mess, but this was a great win. glad i didn't turn the channel and start watching operation repo.

volinuptonky writes:

I predicted at the beginning of the SEC season that TN would win 10 conference games. Do not make me eat my words and Beat the Dores on Sat. And (as I choke on my words) go Cats and beat the Gators on Sunday. Just seems wrong to be rooting for the Cats. I do agree we are a NCAA tournament team but I think we have to win the SEC tournament to make it. Too many bad Dec. losses.

volinuptonky writes:

in response to volinuptonky:

I wanted to add when I started hearing an opera singer vocalizing when Maybin was at the line i was wondering what was wrong with ESPN3 then they showed the guy with the megaphone. I was laughing so hard when i realized what he was doing. I do not know how Maybin was able to shoot freethrows without cracking up. That was truly funny.

brod writes:

in response to volinuptonky:

i didn't know what the he** that was until they showed the fat guy singing into the megaphone. i thought that it was coming from the other tv in the house.

givehim6 writes:

I'll have to admit the Vols have gone past where I thought they would be this season, a late blooming team looks better then a fizzling team. UT has 1 more game? I thought LSU was the last, who do we play?

Huntsvols22 writes:

Trae Golden made me throw up with his turnovers and overall carelessness with the basketball in the first half. He did redeem himself from the line down the stretch. He has got to take care of the rock for 40 minutes (or more) on Saturday to give us a chance against arguably the best guard/forward tandem's in the nation in Jenkins and Taylor.

Vol_Stuck_in_GA writes:

in response to givehim6:

Vanderbilt

mocsandvolsfan writes:

The opera guy WAS hilarious! we need to hire him for the Vandy game. Maybe we could get a grand ole Opry singer for a Nashville team.

anyhow Go Vols Beat Vandy!

The way we beat LSU had to hurt. I almost felt sorry for their seniors. ok. not really.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

anyhow Go Vols Beat Vandy!

He had a pretty good voice too or had I just drank too many beers?

PUL4VOLS writes:

They did not give up even with not so stellar play in much of the first half. But they have some work to do to guarantee a spot in the NCAA instead of the NIT. That can begin with a win over Vandy. I hope they do it. GO VOLS!

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to volinuptonky:

Agree that the opera guy was hilarious. But who is Maybin? Did you mean Maymon? Do you really not know one of our best players last name? I bet you think his first name is Jerome.

Just had to point that out.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

He had a pretty good voice too or had I just drank too many beers?

Shame on you. It had to be too many beers. From a music teachers perspective you'd have to say he had potential. But it could be that the singer had too many as well? Maybe if we all had a few it would be the MET.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to AtopTheHill06:

Just had to point that out.

That Jarrod Mayperson WAS a really good ball player.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Big win! Keep it up Vols....stay hot!

Go Big Orange!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to brod:

Brent,

Is the fat LSU guy related to the idiot from Vandy who whistles the entire game when a Vol player has the ball in his or her hands?

in response to VOL1972:

GO VOLS! I won't change the channel again.

One thing I have learned about this Vol team is never to give up on them, especially during the SEC season. They are still not the well-oiled machine one might hope for, and when they are bad they can be REALLY bad. But what impresses me most about them NOW is what we saw last night; they might GET down but they don't STAY down. They keep chipping away, some players start making plays they weren't earlier, and before you know it, they are right back in the thick of it with a chance to win. Shows great heart and character on the part of all concerned.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

It has been a "roller coaster ride"!! This has been a fun year to me. I love seeing things get better. Right now I'm the biggest UT fan on here.
Well maybe. The reason we came back last night was just what you said. "...heart and character..."!! I ALMOST get tears in my eyes thinking about the way Golden just hasn't given up this year. Not just last night. Yes he has improvement to come. But I love his character.
DON'T QUIT TG! Others can be praised as much. However I for one love Stoke's attitude giving credit where it's due. God doesn't give us the W but he does inspire us to be better as an individuals and as a team. Of course. I'm a little teary thinking of Stokes too. Maymon Tatum(last night at least). Excuse me, I need to go get a tissue.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Last paragraph? Actually it wasn't "last night". But it's still fresh on my mind.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Golly I hate going back and editing AFTER I post!

"as individuals" NOT "as an individuals". Sorry I just couldn't let it go.

BUT since I'm posting anyhow...

GO VOLS BEAT VANDY!