Terry Joseph leaving for Nebraska

Terry Joseph

Terry Joseph

After a few weeks of stability, Tennessee is again in the market for an assistant football coach.

A staff that has six new faces will add a seventh before spring practice starts later this month, with Terry Joseph the latest to leave the Vols for a position elsewhere.

Joseph told govols247.com on Friday that he has accepted an offer to become secondary coach at Nebraska, leaving UT after two seasons and parting ways with Derek Dooley after a total of five years together following a stint at Louisiana Tech.

Joseph has worked with Nebraska coach Bo Pelini and defensive coordinator John Papuchis at LSU.

Joseph, the recruiting coordinator and defensive backs coach who would have earned $250,000 this year, was set to have slightly different role with the Vols moving forward thanks to the addition of another body in the secondary with new defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri dividing the responsibilities in the back end. Joseph was tabbed to handle the safeties, and recent hire Derrick Ansley was put in charge of cornerbacks.

The addition of Ansley appeared to complete the staff for Dooley heading into his third season at the helm, but that didn’t even last a full month for a program that has undergone dramatic changes since the end of a 5-7 campaign last November.

Since parting ways with wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett shortly after the season-ending loss at Kentucky, UT has had six more assistants leave for jobs elsewhere — a transition that put a strain on Joseph and the only other holdovers from the start of Dooley’s tenure, offensive coordinator Jim Chaney and assistant Darin Hinshaw.

“I think there would have been a significant amount of change even had we won at Kentucky,” Dooley told the News Sentinel last month. “I believe that. But I think that made it a lot easier for everybody, and I think that it was a healthy and needed thing in our program — not because the guys that left weren’t good coaches, but to sort of allow this young team to now have some new energy come in and put what they’ve done in the past behind them and grow up, not have to have those relationship scars that are formed.

“The new coaches come in with a new, energetic approach — and they want to be here.”

Now the Vols need to find one more.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

thevoice writes:

Just another tic on the barometer.

orangeman1 writes:

Its pretty obvious there were alot of unhappy players and coaches on the team last year. I'm not quite sure how it all got so out of hand. Hopefully, Dooley is right and the new coaches will get these players heads straight.

tree_em_smokey writes:

F

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Dooley's tenure, offensive coordinator Jim Chaney and assistant Darin Hinshaw.

"I think there would have been a significant amount of change even had we won at Kentucky," Dooley told the News Sentinel last month. "I believe that. But I think that made it a lot easier for everybody, and I think that it was a healthy and needed thing in our program - not because the guys that left weren’t good coaches, but to sort of allow this young team to now have some new energy come in and put what they’ve done in the past behind them and grow up, not have to have those relationship scars that are formed.

"The new coaches come in with a new, energetic approach - and they want to be here."

Not have to have those "relationship scars" that are formed. What is Dooley talking about? He also said "the new coaches WANT to be here." So there you have it, sounds like Dooley said it himself without even realizing what he actually said. So basically these 7 coaches didn't wanna be here.

espender#273698 writes:

Did you ever listen to Tim Priest during a broadcast last Fall? He seemed like he was coming unglued watching the DB's, especially the corners. At times I got upset listening to Priest complain about their play, but now I think he was spot on.

voloffaith writes:

Nobody will be happy with this and more trollodyte venom and miscommunication on WHY this took place. He is gone...he chose to go...he is going to a known of sorts having been with Mr. Pelini b4 at LSU.

RoadTrip writes:

Buh-bye TJ. I thought you did well under the circumstances. Maybe Bo can give you a good future.

MOOREVOLS writes:

We have always played so soft in the defensive backfield. Soft coverage and many times soft tackling. I hope the changes will move us in a better direction.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to espender#273698:

There were a couple of different reasons IMO. 1)Scheme:I can't remember how many times the other teams offense was on the 5yd line and our DB was 10 yds off of him, giving them an easy TD. Or they would have 3rd and 5 and we gave a 10 yd cushion. That's on the DC. Because if it wasn't part of his scheme and he didn't correct it, then it's still on the DC. 2) Personel. Anyone trying to tell me Teague is better than Eric Gordon needs there brain checked. Gordon could have had a HUGE impact but for some odd reason Teague continued to get smoked and Teague continued to start. I'm not saying Joseph is the best coach in the world, but I do think it's only fair to assess his recruiting as well. Not to mention being the recruiting coordinator. And I will ask, if he is that bad of a coach, who hired him?

Clarkrm0706 writes:

O.k. I admit 7 is a pretty strange.

MidTennVol writes:

Something is wrong. I've never seen so many coaches bail in an off season. This is not normal no matter how he spins it.

We are basically starting over, from scratch....with Coach Dooley's job on the line this fall.

I hope the AD is sending love notes to John Chavis, just in case. And loading a dumptruck full of money.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Off topic, but the baseball game at Minute Made Park in Houston is on ESPN3 @ 4:30.

wigmeister writes:

I'm sorry to see him go. However, better for him to leave if he didn't want to be here, and better for us also. Hope Dooley brings in a top notch recruiter to continue the program moving forward!

MGVOL22 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

No one know's what Coach Dooley said or did to keep Coach Joseph....I wouldn't speculate on that.

thevoice writes:

Dooley is still a great coach. What has occurred in the last few months is just a 1-in-a-100 million series of highly unlikely unexplainable scenarios playing out that really don't mean squat. All is still good on the hill. 13-0 baby!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to thevoice:

Wow, wish I could be that optimistic. No sarcasm.

tanasi2 writes:

Another coach leaves the sinking USS Dooley!

FWBVol writes:

In reality, this shouldn't be that much of a surprise. We have a new DC coming in with a new system and this is a perfect time for a holdover coach to leave.

I appreciate the job Terry Joseph has done, especially in the area of recruiting, but it shouldn't be hard to find another good DB coach.

One that many people overlook is that Joseph has been with Derek Dooley for four or five years. Most assistant coaches need to coach under several head coaches as they work their way up the ladder. While some might see this is a lateral move for Joseph, it might simply be a matter of Joseph feeling a need to expand his horizons on a new staff in a different conference.

I'd like to see CDD make Jay Graham the recruiting coordinator and for the staff to take things to the next level in 2013.

There will be plenty of coaches that want the job because better than fans, they understand that things might not be as bad under Dooley as some people think.

frblalack writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Last year's corner's were not the strength of the defense, Coach felt we needed improvement and I totally agree. Coach Joseph was a heckuva recruiter, but then so was Larry Porter at Memphis.

Our secondary coaching 2012...can you say UPGRADE!

Good luck to Coach Joseph...but our secondary will be much improved regardless.

All Vols - All the Time - Believe!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

I don't know what defensive style Sal has to be honest. He's a completely unproven Defensive Coordinator. Hate to sound that way, but that's just the truth. I was dumb enough to fall for the Dave Clawson "get my playmakers in space" stuff before, but not again. I'm not saying Sal will be good or bad, he's just unproven at his current position. And I'll have to see it before believing it. I will say, the potential is there for him to be good.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to frblalack:

Our secondary coaching 2012...can you say UPGRADE!

Good luck to Coach Joseph...but our secondary will be much improved regardless.

All Vols - All the Time - Believe!

So we haven't even chosen his replacement and you are saying we are improved? LOL, UH....OKAY

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

How much will we owe this joker for bailing on us?

OrangePride writes:

Well, I thought TJ was a good recruiter, but was never fully sure who got the blame for the spotty secondary performance that seemed to get lit up against almost every good team. Coaching departures have ceased to surprise anyone at this point, and if that's what it takes to shape a new vision and new attitude, then so be it. As I mentioned in a post on the earlier article, we CAN NOT have folks in that locker room who are not 100% sold, on board for the long haul, and ready to really get after it! At the end of the day, however, it will be Dooley who has to set that tone and make this staff and team gel! If not, it is unlikely the remaining two coaches will be here after next year.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Volunteer-Varmint:

How much will we owe this joker for bailing on us?

Nuttin he is taking the stroll of his own volition with no handout....

underthehill writes:

No sense to be critical of any coach who thinks he is improving his position. I'm sure he is concerned about his future.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

Well who is the replacement rumor?

what_a_joke writes:

the real issue is that people simply do not like working for Coach D. This is a problem, just ask the admin folks in the Football office.

He is a jerk, plain and simple. He hides it well, but you cant treat people they way he does and expect to create any loyalty.

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to tanasi2:

Another coach leaves the sinking USS Dooley!

You are a TROLL!!!

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

You don't have a clue to what your talking about, what I find funny is, posters like you don't have the guts to name the team that you support or you just get off posting negative comments because your life is pathetic and boring..This coaching staff will be around longer than a loser like you.

GBO!!

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Birds of a feather.....change your team if you don't like it. If you can't even formulate a sentence long enough to support your opinion, then your an idiot.

GBO!!

TNVOLNTX writes:

The same trolls who trolled about how bad our secondary was last season will troll about how bad it is that a secondary coach has left the program. I would contend, however, that UT sports as a collective is in far better shape now than at any time in recent memory. No NCAA clouds, baseball team out of the gate strong, basketball team far better than expected, and a decent enough recruiting class in football to give cause for optimism. In the grand scheme of things, Joseph won't be missed. GBO!!

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to what_a_joke:

Wow! you actually work or have worked for CDD and know this for a fact? I don't think so, shallow comments from an ignorant poster.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

I must admit that I always found you to be a Fulmer supporter but still a UT fan (Which I could respect)
Everyone knows that "andforhisnexttune" is a vandy troll that just likes to spite anything UT.
Your recent all agreement with him, calls into question my belief of your UT fan status.
From your older posts, I know your first inclination is just to insult or argue with me. Instead, why don't you take a moment to think about what I am saying and do a little introspection.

wildmed writes:

in response to thevoice:

Whatever you're smoking, I could use a hit...

volbob writes:

in response to espender#273698:

Agree completely. Good post of a season-long observation. Something wasn't right there, and maybe this change will fix it.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Well who is the replacement rumor?

I'll take "the current Alabama secondary coach" for $500, Alex.

ROCKYnROCKFORD writes:

There's a new defensive sheriff in town. I suspect Coach Sunseri has his eye on someone. I'll be surprised if it isn't an upgrade.

It is painful to treated as the proverbial 'mushroom'. You'd think they'd throw an occasional bone on the heap.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I'll take "the current Alabama secondary coach" for $500, Alex.

O.k., pretty funny.

bigorangefan#314838 writes:

See ya!

I kinda like the cleansing process. I personally would rather see DD go through these coaching changes than sit still and do nothing. Saban has always had a huge turnover rate among his assistants. Being hard to work for and winning are NOT mutually exclusive.

thevoice writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Dooley's tenure, offensive coordinator Jim Chaney and assistant Darin Hinshaw.

Right. And after the first coach "retired" (can't even keep track of the names anymore), I thought I remember Dooley saying he thought no more coaching changes would occur. Hmm. I'm actually beginning to have a heart for the guy. No one should have to walk through such a dramatic, enduring storm.

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to bigorangefan#314838:

See ya!

Good post.....CDD had to put the defensive coaches together fairly quick...I think your seeing the building of a real SEC Defensive Team. Wilcox was over his head, but he did the best he could, CSS knows what it takes to play in the SEC, this is not the PAC12.

thevoice writes:

in response to ROCKYnROCKFORD:

Reading between the lines, Joseph was Dooley's guy and I'm sure Sal was passively instructed to "get along with him" so that he was retained. Looks like Dooley has one less Christmas card to prepare.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I still think all of this was part of Dooley's plan. Sunseri(sic) probably preferred to put his own man in place and has a person in mind. Anytime you have turnover, I think it is a chance to upgrade a position, especially if you take your time to do it right. With the new coaches, Dooley has had plenty of time to select good ones. It will all be decided on the field this season. Be patient, grasshopper.

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

Agree, it basically took 6-7 years for the football team to be destroyed by bad recuiting classes and apathy. Tennessee is not for everyone, I like that we are a big win for everyone, but we exceed expectations all the time. CDD with have the UT football program on track, 2012 will be a great year....GBO!!

tovolny writes:

I thought TJ would remain. Maybe a situation of bad timing. An assistant uses a little leverage on Hart, and BANG you're out. If Sal and Dooley had wanted him to stay, I would not be writing this. When one is the coordinator, one has to coordinate...and this means trying to reduce the weak links. THINK about it folks, some changes had to be made. I, personally, am looking at this as a positive change, and I do not believe DOOM is LOOMING.
SAL's Orange Crush will taste good this autumn. Please lighten up on the negative energy.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

I, too, hope Dooley will get things back to the way they were, but you are exaggerating things a little by describing UT program as being destroyed dont you think? Weren around 10 players signed to NFL rosters in 09 and 2010? Didnt UT win the SEC East and finish tied for best regular season SEC record and a 10 win season as recently as 2007? NO EXCUSES this year. ITs time to start competing for Championships again.

volinlm writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Sounds like Joseph had his responsibilities watered down and he probably felt that the opportunities were better elsewhere for growth. After five years with Dooley, you would think that if Dooley thought he had potential, he would have given him more responsibility what with other coaches leaving. Just an observation.

bigsteve92 writes:

look at it this way. if youw ere a assistant and all everyone talked about was dooley is gone after this year. most people would bail to find a secure job for sure

DonK37920 writes:

in response to Blue_Store_Barron:

How is this a lateral move? He was demoted to coaching half the secondary here when we hired Ansley and then took another job where he will now get to coach the whole secondary again.
Secondary coach at Nebraska > Safties coach at Tennessee.

thevoice writes:

in response to tovolny:

The dude was Dooley's own hand-picked choice. It looks like he left on his own accord. Remember Dooley stating no changes were anticipated after the season? Even if he didn't leave on his own accord, it doesn't look good for Dooley's ability to select coaches, which is an integral part of coaching.