Jarnell Stokes wins SEC Player of the Week

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) rejects a shot by Vanderbilt guard John Jenkins (23) during the first half at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, March 3, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012

Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes (5) rejects a shot by Vanderbilt guard John Jenkins (23) during the first half at Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday, March 3, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

UT's Jarnell Stokes discusses the Vols' 68-61 win over Vanderbilt

Tennessee's Jarnell Stokes took another big step in his size 20s on Monday, being named the SEC Player of the Week in men's basketball.

The 6-foot-8, 270-pound freshman from Memphis helped lead UT to men's basketball wins at LSU (74-69, overtime) and Vanderbilt (68-61) last week, helping the Vols (18-13, 10-6) secure the No. 2 seed for the SEC tournament which runs Thursday through Sunday in New Orleans.

Tennessee opens play at 7:30 p.m. on Friday (TV: WVLT) against the winner of Thursday's first-round game between No. 7-seed Ole Miss (18-12, 8-8) and No. 10 Auburn (15-15, 5-11).

The Vols beat the Rebels 73-60 on Feb. 22 in Thompson-Boling Arena and scored a 64-49 home win over Auburn on Jan. 28.

UT coach Cuonzo Martin said Monday that Stokes' 11-point, 14-rebound, five-block effort in the Vols' 68-61 win over Vanderbilt on Saturday was the powerful freshman's best game of the season.

"I think it was a case of him getting a feel for everything,'' Martin said.

Stokes averaged 14.5 points on 76-percent shooting over the past week, while averaging 10.5 rebounds, three blocks and 1.5 steals.

"I think he's a double-double guy,'' Martin said, "even on a bad night.''

Stokes, who earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors on Jan. 23, has averaged 9.1 points and 7.5 rebounds in the 14 games he has played since his mid-term enrollment in January.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

doubledeuce22Q writes:

First! Way to go Jarnell! Now take us to the tourney!

FWBVol writes:

High school players across the state of Tennessee are glad they didn't have to face Jarnell this year, and SEC players are starting to wish they didn't have to.

The kid has as much raw talent as any player to come through the program in the last several years. He's very young and will only get better. I'm glad he's on our side.

keepitreal4vols writes:

He should have diarrhea more often! LOL

RockyMtnVol writes:

JS is probably the only player that can defend Davis from Ky. If UT plays their A game in the SEC Tournement, and they will go to the Championship Game, I believe they go dancing as a 12th seed, the type of team that a 2 or 3 does not want to play.

CCM has done a great job, NIT or NCAA...this has been a great year for UT Basketball.

GBO!!

thevoice writes:

Glad to see he's ramped things up a notch. Not bad for a HS Sr. Keep it up J-Sto.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

NICE!!!!!!

CroKev writes:

I hope we're pumping this kind of news regularly into Memphis...

in response to keepitreal4vols:

He should have diarrhea more often! LOL

TMI, Jarnell! I don't EVEN want to know how he dealt with that on the floor!

AtopTheHill06 writes:

Jarnell, talk to your friends Austin Nichols, Sam Edwards, and Nick Young. Tell them to come to Knox, where their skills will actually be developed.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

Sorry, meant to type Nick Young instead of Sam Edwards twice.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

Ignore my last post. Its already been a long monday. LOL

mocsandvolsfan writes:

You deserve the award now let's win some tournaments.

John_10065 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

TMI, Jarnell! I don't EVEN want to know how he dealt with that on the floor!

Cork

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Who's had more potential than Stokes in the last 10yrs?

bvol1inSC writes:

Congrats to "the big man!" However, could've been any one of two or three players IMHO. More of these to come for JS!

John_10065 writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

GBO!!

Just think how much Stokes will be with next year with the experience he got this year playing college ball a season early!

I want UT to have another crack at UK away from Rupp.

This team is hitting on all cylinders defensively and can lock down anyone. They fight hard for 40 minutes every game and never give up. They've learned they can win on the road down douple digits and have a staggering air of confidence about them the past couple weeks. The Vols are peaking at the right time!

We were within 3 points of beating them at TBA and we're almost twice the team we were then.

CroKev writes:

in response to AtopTheHill06:

Ignore my last post. Its already been a long monday. LOL

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that...

volcycle writes:

in response to bvol1inSC:

Who's had more potential than Stokes in the last 10yrs?

Scotty Hopson, but that's all he was...potential.

GerryOP writes:

in response to thevoice:

My thoughts exactly ... not bad for a HS SR!

Do you think maybe some schools will be petitioning the NCAA to NOT let UT into the tournament? Schools like UF and VU!!!!!

GerryOP writes:

Does anyone else notice how crowded the bandwagon is getting?

wigmeister writes:

You deserve it Jarnell. I am sure there will be many more in your future!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to CroKev:

I hope we're pumping this kind of news regularly into Memphis...

There is usually only a paragraph or two in the local paper. Sometimes they have no write-up at all. No free publicity in this town (Memphis) for UT or Jarnell.

volahoma writes:

Way to go, kid! You da MAN!

VolGrad writes:

"I think he's a double-double guy,'' Martin said, "even on a bad night.''

That is a big statement, but pretty much sums up the talent Stokes has.

GBO!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VolGrad:

"I think he's a double-double guy,'' Martin said, "even on a bad night.''

That is a big statement, but pretty much sums up the talent Stokes has.

GBO!

I look forward to Stokes and Maymon both having double doubles in every SEC tourney game!! It'd be nice. Then some triple triple for one or both soon. Not likely with the assist. But if teams keep double and triple teaming them? I could see some easy assists there!
Golly how long is it till tourney?

VolGrad writes:

Perhaps you mean triple doubles, not triple triples. Or should I just ask for a shot of what you're drinking? :D

SEC tournament starts Thursday. Tennessee plays Friday at 7:30 ET. I think.

Go Vols!

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Ditto! And glad I did not have to play against this guy either. Loved it when he made the block (all ball) and slammed the shooter to the ground.

AppreciativeAlum writes:

er uh, the 2 seed does not play the 1 seed until the championship game... Now I know why the 2 seed was so important.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Does anyone else notice how crowded the bandwagon is getting?

It was a bandwagon...now it is a FedEx plane...I wish they would make up their minds!

Vol43 writes:

To me, one of the best parts of watching our VOLS is watching our coach. I really don't how to describe him. Really, words fail. I love his intensity. He's incredible and Mike hired him. He's a godsend in my opinion.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to John_10065:

I want UT to have another crack at UK away from Rupp.

So is Kentucky. Beating Kentucky is nothing more than a pipe dream. I do hope the dream comes true.

GerryOP writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Why is beating UK a pipe dream?

January 14, 2012 - Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, TN

UK 65 - UT 62

Look it up!

Stokes 1st game, a bunch of kids still trying to figure out what UT basketball was all about, and a coach hoping that these kids would buy into his program.

Not a pipe dream my Vol friend, not a pipe dream.

9 games left this season ... win 'em all basketVols, win 'em all. It's not a pipe dream!

Down_The_Field writes:

JS for SEC freshman of the year!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Congrats, you 18 year old BEAST! Keep swatting those shots away like you did against Vandy! That was SWEET! GBO!

HtownVol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Why is beating UK a pipe dream?

January 14, 2012 - Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, TN

UK 65 - UT 62

Look it up!

Not a pipe dream my Vol friend, not a pipe dream.

Is there another team other than IU that has played UK better than UT?
I would much rather UT take on this UK team than the one that UT DID beat 2 years ago with a NBA starting lineup. This one has NBA talent also (with the number one pick - Davis) but not quite the talent that one had, although this one is better coached (due to the stubborn kids from 2 years ago).

Point is, if UT beat UK with the best recruiting class money can buy, they can beat this one.

GO VOLS!

I would really love to see more offense go through Maymon and Stokes. It has been getting better but I cant second guess C Martin. The man knows coaching!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor also notice how fundamentally better they have got as players(free throws for sure) Witch Doctor say lets quash the KY talk as thats a couple games away(?) and no team is just gonna roll over..too far ahead just to set up the trolls later..really. Witch Doctor say two wins and Witch Doctor believe(or hope) we get the nod. Witch Doctor even think(guess) if its 45% we get the nod because of the way we handled the BPearl thing. Witch Doctor say lets go one game at a time. Witch Doctor say KY aint our enemy, a bad road game looking ahead to KY is. lol
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

* tournament game is..lol.
BNL

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

JS for SEC freshman of the year!

Would be nice, but It wouldn't be fair. Davis for Ky has that along with every single individual award in the universe locked down. That kid is something else.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to volcycle:

Scotty Hopson, but that's all he was...potential.

That's all 99.8% of Pearl's players ended up being...potential. Except Harris, and even Larry Bird said he would draft Harris at the McDonalds AA game. So I'm not so sure how much Pearl developed him. I'm willing to bet if Hopson played 3 yrs for Zo, he would have been a high draft pick. Zo even got Cam playing D for crying out loud.

Again, I've said it before and I'll say it again. IMO Bruce Pearl in a one game setting could set up a gameplan to beat ANYONE...ANYONE. But when it came to player development, he was average at best.

LostVOLinLouisiana writes:

LostVOL says: Bones never LIE. Oh wait an I aloud to say that or will I fall under the Witch Doc's curse. Vols win 2 and fall to Kentucky by 6 points on the way to thw sweet 16. Oh this is the wrong article. Delete Delete. VFL

LostVOLinLouisiana writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Maybe if he would have played and matured all year. Think how much better he would be by now if he would have started practice pre season.

in response to Down_The_Field:

JS for SEC freshman of the year!

Love the thought, but even I know it will be Davis of UK. Besides, Stokes has only played half a year; lots of freshmen have better numbers than he had, even on a per-game basis. Unlimited future, though; he could well be the conference player of the year next year.

GerryOP writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Is there another team other than IU that has played UK better than UT?

GO VOLS!

Right on Htown! Maymon and Stokes next year will be awesome. Matter of fact, based on what we saw Sat night, they already are!

in response to HtownVol:

Is there another team other than IU that has played UK better than UT?

GO VOLS!

I'm sure he's telling them to go inside, and I even see them LOOKING inside a lot, so I don't think there is a lack of DESIRE to pass inside more. It seems to be more a matter of timing and positioning between the perimeter and post players. The passers aren't ready to deliver the ball when the post players are ready to receive it--and vice-versa--and both could do more to help each other get the right angles to make a sure connection. I think that phase of the game will improve greatly next year.

in response to ScoonerTN:

<SMACK!> Is that pesky blue-bottle fly still buzzing around? Where's that Raid...?

GreeneVol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Wouldn't it just break your heart if HE WENT PRO AND WASN'T EVEN AROUND NEXT YEAR! hehehe...

UTbassdrummer writes:

Easily the best video interview of all time. Also, a fever of 107 is pretty serious. The record is only like 114. Jarnelle is DESTINED FOR THE RECORD BOOKS!

John_10065 writes:

in response to GreeneVol:

He can't go pro next year. He has at least one more season in college before he can go pro!

I know that breaks your heart!

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

yea, i know. i was just being an over the top fan.

in response to volman2010:

Gotta be kidding! Gerry not only DRIVES the wagon, he BUILT it! And he doesn't allow anybody but all-day-every-day Vol fans on it; late-comers and front-runners need not reply, though they are allowed to walk behind in our dust.