Uncertainty a reason Eric Russell left UT

Former Tennessee tight ends/special teams coach Eric Russell, who took a job as new coach Mike Leach's special teams coordinator at Washington State in December, said uncertainty at UT contributed toward his decision to leave Derek Dooley's staff.

Russell, who was the second of seven assistants to leave UT since the end of the 2011 season, told the Spokane (Wash.) Spokesman-Review that his decision had little to do with the fact that he would be closer to his hometown of St. Maries, Idaho.

"I think at Tennessee, it was going to come down to how many games you won the next year, and unfortunately nobody's got a crystal ball," said Russell, making his first public comments since his departure. "I tried to take the sentimental stuff out of it. A chance to be an assistant head coach and concentrate purely on special teams was a little bit of a unique situation."

Russell worked with Dooley at Louisiana Tech 2007-08 before joining Leach at Texas Tech in 2009. He reunited with Dooley at UT in 2010.

Russell was set to make $275,000 at UT in 2012. He will make $225,000 at Washington State, according to the Spokesman-Review.

The most recent coach to leave Dooley's staff, former safeties coach/recruiting coordinator Terry Joseph, was officially announced as the new defensive backs coach at Nebraska on Wednesday.

Terms of Joseph's agreement were not disclosed.

"Coming to a place like Nebraska was a great opportunity for me," Joseph said in a university release. "And then to throw in the chance to work with (Coach) Bo (Pelini) again, it was the perfect fit. I am excited to get to work with our players and other coaches as we start spring ball and get prepared for the season."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

OwensboroVol writes:

This is why you attempt to hire former Tennessee Players who have entered the Coaching Profession. The University has more loyalty to them and they have more loyalty to the University. I don't believe that this next year is make or break for Dooley. Should there be a total collapse and the team only win 2-3 games, of course a change would have to be made. However, I think most everyone agrees that 8 wins are probable and 9 wins possible next year. I guess the gray area is if the team wins 4-7 games. I don't think that is going to happen. I believe next year is going to be Dooley's and the Vol's breakout year. I am betting that we win every game we are suppose to and some we are not. I would not be surprised with a 10-2 record and a East Division Championship.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor wonder if he will be recruiting or is recruiting in the South? SURPRISE!!! lol
Bones never lei.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

I can't imagine that moving to a place like Nebraska could be a great place to be? I guess it's great if you are a storm chaser? I would imagine that Pullman, Washington can't be too happening either right there on the Idaho border...I hate to say it but the perception of our program can't be good when coaches are leaving Knoxville for Nebraska and the Washington-Idaho border. What's next somebody leaving for a job in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada?

VolunteerLifer writes:

No doubt there will be more certainty now that we don't have to worry about Eric Russell leaving, and there will more certainty now because we will have coaches who want to be here.

rockytopwestone writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I apperciate your positive attitude, I just wish I could share it !

givehim6 writes:

Nice article to feed the trolls, good jod KNS. This will keep the feed for a few days.

thevoice writes:

Interesting comments from a former coach. Guess it's no wonder why 7 +/- coaches left. Does anyone want to tell me this is normal? As far as Dooley, 6-6 or better, he stays for his contract expiration, which is through the 2013 season (if I remember right, it was a 4-yr contract). Else he's gone in December 2012.

Volalumnus writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Apparently the former UT assistant coach doesn't agree with your assesment and he was pretty close to the situation.

I beleive the team needs 8 regular season wins and depends how they break down for Dooley to remain after this season.

The former coach also indicates he thinks there is a number but did not indicate what he thinks it is but his comments and actions state he had doubts that the team would achieve that number of wins.

tanasi2 writes:

As I've said before, this is just another coach who is wise enough to see the writing on the wall! The Dooley ship is sinking! Coaches are leaving for more job security because they know that Dooley, more than likely, will be let go after this season. Wise up vol fans! Dooley is a lawyer who just thinks he is a coach. Dooley's record confirms that he is NOT a good coach.

dk writes:

Coach Russell probably left because he got depressed reading all the junk on GoVols.com. Too many negative trolls.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

JUST MORE OF THE SAME OLE phooey! We've got good coaches and we're headed in the right direction. I could care less about the guys that left.

Go Vols! Can't wait for Spring practice!

frblalack writes:

Good luck to Coach Russell...and more importantly Good Bye! You know the old expression, "when the going gets tough...the tough get going"...so he shows his mental toughness...takes a pay cut! Hope he enjoys the same success he had at UT. ha! If I remember his "special teams" coaching results...say no more.

Go Big Orange! Support Coach Dooley! VFL!

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

Yeah, sounds like a class act. Rather than working his tail off to help Dooley remain as coach and the Vols succeed, he wimps out and goes to a 3rd tier school. I have no use for these types of opportunists. Glad he's gone.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to thevoice:

His contract is for six years...his buyout price drops significantly between 2013 and 2014.

frblalack writes:

in response to FLORIDAGATORHATER:

Excellent post!

rhmhrh writes:

Coach Russell...this attitute will not serve you well in your career...there is an old country and western song about you..."THANK GOD AND GREYHOUND HE'S GONE.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to thevoice:

We said it all along. Now a coach says it, and they still don't believe it. Man oh man.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

You really think Dooley can win 4 games and keep his job? LOL. UH..OKAY.

SATCHMOE writes:

No where in all this trash do you hear any of these coaches take any responsibility for not being able to motivate their athletes in doing better.I,m glad they are gone and maybe these new coaches will be men on a mission that will lead these kids in a positive direction. KNS always tearing down and creating stink. I think its time for some new journalist

Southland writes:

I am not worried about the future of UT If Dooley does not win at least 8 games he is gone and if the present AD hires a good coach we will go to a nine win team the following year and the year after that We are almost out of this sinkhole

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

"I don't believe that this next year is make or break for Dooley."

Of course you don't. You're a Dool-aid drinker. Eric Russell takes a $50,000 a year pay cut and then basically tells YOU and all the other Dool-aid drinkers that he quit because he believed that next season's win/loss record would determine whether Dooley gets fired, but that isn't the reality that you fanatics choose to believe in so you dismiss it.

Nobody should be surprised.

Dooley finds multiple ways to lose during his first season when he should have won games, but according to the Dool-aid drinkers he's a GREAT coach.

During Dooley's second season his team fails to make any sort of progress on the field before being put out of their misery by a WR subbing in for QB and running a playbook that's shorter than this post, but according to the Dool-aid drinkers he's a GREAT coach.

Over 75% of Dooley's staff quits in order to move to lateral positions for either the same or less salary, but according to the Dool-aid drinkers he's a GREAT coach.

After months of bragging on how Dooley would redeem himself with a top-10 or top-15 class, Dooley ticks off three commits, loses two commits, and finishes with the sixth best recruiting class in the SEC, but according to the Dool-aid drinkers he's a GREAT coach.

You believe all the above, so why should a former coach's opinion do anything to ruin the happy little reality you choose to believe.

But, don't worry. Dooley will get an easier schedule, a team full of upper-classmen and receiving corps that a Spurrier led UF team would envy...and he will prove how mediocre he his by going 6-6.

Your excuse will, inevitably, be that he can't be judged on the 2012 seson because his entire coaching staff is new. Which, of course, isn't his fault.

Keep watering that bamboo.

thevoice writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

You're right...

Looks like his buyout is greater than his salary, especially if he were to get fired after 2012. Is he losing games on purpose, in hopes of getting canned?

I still think if he has a losing season, or maybe 6-6 in 2012, he's gone. No excuses this year. I foresee a running-game problem creeping up and teams therefore going almost exclusively to a nickle or dime package. With virtually a brand new coaching staff, they'll all have an uphill battle in 2012. I think it's sort of like Fulmer hiring Clausen: get it done in one year, or else.

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Regardless of the reasons Russell left....I didn't and don't see it as much of a loss - neither position he coached really tore it up last year. I'm not a Dooley supporter or detractor, but I do believe the current coaching staff is head and shoulders better than the previous staff. Too little too late?? Who knows....

thevoice writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

"I don't believe that this next year is make or break for Dooley."

Nobody should be surprised.

Keep watering that bamboo.

You're never going to get an intelligent, factual response from the other side of the fence. I think when you see "Dooley's a great coach" or "we'll go 10-2," etc. it's coming from the heart and not the brain. It's encouragement, hope, etc. We all have a hard time admitting shortcomings, especially as it relates to something about which we're passionate. Few are able to see through it though and admit.

thevoice writes:

in response to SATCHMOE:

Speaking of responsibility, it's not KNS' fault; they're just reporting the stench on the hill.

LocoPhan (Inactive) writes:

It isn't just wins and losses...

Last year we had 5 games where we simply weren't competitive:

33-23 Loss @ Florida
38-7 Loss to LSU
36-7 Loss @ Alabama
49-7 Loss @ Arkansas
10-7 Loss @ Kentucky (few points and no heart against a bad team with a bowl bid on the line)

The losses will need to be "better" from an effort and score standpoint if Dooley is to retain employment. Things must look up and players must improve on the field.

7-5 with blowout losses and OT wins (like Vandy) will not get it done. 6-6 or worse should mean the door...

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to SATCHMOE:

Good post...the coaches that left were relatively inexperienced and immature with the exception of Baggett. I wish we really knew, in writing, etc., the real reason he chose to leave. I know all the rumors and they have not been factually disputed. My philosophy has always been, where there is smoke there is fire.

I do like all of the coaching changes - this is the type of staff that will win in spite of CDD. And maybe we will really see a changed man (CDD) next fall that has learned some hard lessons over the past two years. I'm getting behind the Vols, the new coaching staff and the players and hoping that they will rise above all in 2012.

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to Southland:

100% agree...those insecure Vol fans that believe if Dooley leaves we'll be in for another rebuilding "season" are dead wrong. It's obvious to me that Hart has brought in a very "stable" coaching staff that will remain even if the HC is replaced.

SummittsCourt writes:

Lack of loyalty - good riddance - glad you are gone because your replacement is better!

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

So all seven coaches left because they wanted to be closer to home? Then why do any coaches stay at schools where they aren't close to home? Come on 10se...you are one of the better CDD supporters on this board...but your logic doesn't work in this situation. I would guarantee you that if we could talk to the players, we would find out why the seven coaches left...and I would be surprised if being closer to home had ANYTHING to do with it. Trying to keep it real here. GBO!

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Accurate, good post.

FWBVol writes:

in response to LocoPhan:

It isn't just wins and losses...

Last year we had 5 games where we simply weren't competitive:

33-23 Loss @ Florida
38-7 Loss to LSU
36-7 Loss @ Alabama
49-7 Loss @ Arkansas

I don't really think anyone can say that a 10-poingt loss to Florida in the Swamp is not competitive especially given the fact that Justin Hunter was lost for the season the first time he touched the ball in that game.

Bama and LSU were simply the two best teams in the country with the two best defenses and strong running games. We were outmanned and that has a lot to do with the attrition of the last few years.

And while I don't like the fact we lost to Kentucky, sooner or later our winning streak against the Wildcats was going to come to an end. That's not making excuses for Derek Dooley, but it's a fact.

Everything that I've read said there wasn't much leadership on the team and the upperclassmen were down on the younger players for not being into things. Yes, the head coach is responsible about that to a certain degree, but sometimes the players have to take ownership of the program.

We needed an Al Wilson, a Will Overstreet, a Jason Layman or a Peyton Manning on last year's team that would hold the other players accountable.

Based on the buyout that CDD will be owed if he is fired after next season, I think he will probably keep his job with seven wins and being competitive in the other games.

I'm not saying that Derek Dooley is the answer. I'll even admit that I do have a few more doubts after the 2011 season than I did after 2010, but I still think he has a chance to get the job done.

I believe the situation Derek Dooley inherited was the worst any Tennessee coach has had to deal with since Doug Dickey took over in 1963.

I was a freshman on The Hill in Bill Battles final year, and IMO, Battle left Johnny Majors with more talent than Dooley had when he took over the job. If anyone doubts that I would point out that center Robert Shaw went on to be a first-round draft pick by the Dallas Cowboys and cornerback Roland James would later be a first-round pick by the Patriots.

On top of those guys Majors had guys like offensive tackle Tim Irwin, quarterback Jimmy Streater and fullback Hubert Simpson.

orangecountyvols writes:

So Russ,

Since you can't hack it.............yes, it's best you take off. And yes, it really would be nice to see people who wore the orange shirt on the staff, if possible. Those you could count on.

BR_549 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I was at UT in Majors first year (1977) and the roster also included future coaches John Chavis and Kevin Steele. Plus announcer Pat Ryan. Other talent was Kelsey Finch who set the all time UT longest play with a 99 yard run against Florida and future NFL'er Craig Colquitt. Hubert Simpson from Athens and Tim Irwin didn't come along till the next year. The record was 4-7 but I remember Majors press conferences were funny as hell.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to thevoice:

Lately I skip over most of HectorMymamasmacho's routine cause its really sooooooooo predictably boring. I must admit he/she made me giggle (quietly) tonight.

Kudos to the Peabody varsity. Belmont Bruins rule the roost in Nashville baseball.

hey little voice guy wouldn't you consider it a serious shortcoming to be a whiny little beech nut? The thought of breathing the same air that has drifted near drippings of the arrogance erupting from your brow causes me to close the window...

...and I'm a tough old pine knot. You smell, boy.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to givehim6:

By troll, I assume that you mean anyone that would not lay in front of a train for Dooley.

I wish I could get some of you Anyday Supporters to at least see that MANY MANY other people - fans, coaches, media, recruits - are not comfortable with Dooley's FOOTBALL COACHING ability. He is a pretty good recruiter. But, after that, he appears to just be a general manager. Everyone else sees that. Why does it make me a troll because I see it too?

All I can do is use Cuonzo Martin as an example.

1) Stability & Composure - Everything about him OOZES stable. His tempo, his press conferences, his demeanor during games, his composure, etc.

2) He has won before - He did not have an extensive background coming in, but he did win his conference his last year at MO ST. That is something. That is winning.

3) Bonding with Fans - Showed up at the UC and passed out Candy Bars. Accessible.

4) Fashion Sense - Nice Orange Blazer compared to Bubba Orange Disco Dan Dingbat Pants.

5) Momentum - Right now, what are people saying about Tennessee Basketball? Improving. Contending. Surprising. We are exceeding expectations.

6) Performance - We upset SOMEONE...ANYONE better than us. We beat UCONN, UF 2 times, and Vandy at home. Hmmm. We have performed better at the end of the season and NOT because of an easy schedule.

7) Tennessee Pride - Cuonzo is saying, as are others that WE ARE an NCAA Tourney team. Dooley thought maybe missing a bowl was good.

What else do I need to say? Why am I a troll? I applaud UT success. What is wrong with critiquing UT mediocrity? Nothing. The truth is the truth.

VolPowers writes:

Uncertainty for a $50k pay cut? Then you're a wuss. Sorry, but you are.

SATCHMOE writes:

in response to thevoice:

So does stench need to be reported or cleaned up? What good will this story do for anyone, as you know no exiting coach will tell the complete truth or take responsibility. Maybe the truth is it will be easier somewhere else.

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to Stooley_Dinks:

All I can do is use Cuonzo Martin as an example.

Just asking "why am I a troll" cracked me up so bad that my eyes hurt.

Man you have a lot of fun with yourself...

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to WaltGoVols:

"I'd rather take a $50,000/yr pay cut that be around Derek Dooley." LEARN TO SPELL BEFORE YOU TRY TO TALK SHEET.by the way what you said by accident is the most postive thing i have seen you write ever Walt.why don't you just go and be a fan of a other team walt?follow russell walt.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

The University hired a very good former player. He went on to be the greatest coach in school history and a soon to be Hall of Famer. He took this program places it had never been and will never see again. They fired him to keep him from breaking Neyland's records of beating the likes of Chattanooga and Maryville College a lot. Nice loyalty there.

This guy made a very smart career decision. That is all.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

"...there will more certainty now because we will have coaches who want to be here."

Do you Dool-aid drinkers remember the B.S. that you spew??? YOU ALL SAID THE SAME THING WHEN THE PREVIOUS STAFF WAS HIRED.

"Dooley's staff is great because they WANT to be here."

"Good thing we got rid of Kiffin and his staff because they didn't want to be here, but this new staff does."

It's really rather amazing to observe. You are literally using the previous staff's desire to leave as proof that the new staff "want to be here."

The new staff is here because Dooley offered them more money and/or a promotion than at their previous job. It isn't magic, it's called self-interest.

Do you think that Sal Sunseri is really worried about Dooley getting fired? He has a 1.5 million buyout clause in his contract...if Dooley gets fired then Sunseri gets paid a million dollars to ALSO get fired. I mean, that's a GREAT opportunity if you aren't already rich.

This idea that the new staff will provide stability simply because they accepted the job is the same junk logic that is used to prove that Dooley is a great coach: because he said yes when Hamilton offered him the job.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to tanasi2:

Well there's just one minor detail that throws all this into question....He has replaced most of these coaches with very good canidates...the two positions just dont add up...but have fun trying to figure it all out...

tennrich1 writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

Actually the recruiting pundits who do this for a living have rated our recruiting classes very well...so use a truthful fact to support your position....just be honest and not 5th grade girlish emotional...Thanks

RustyVol writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

"Dooley's staff is great because they WANT to be here."

Why do you think Hart/Dooley hired Sunseri? Built in replacement if Dooley fails this season you could say.

thevoice writes:

in response to SATCHMOE:

Sure, the stench needs to be cleaned up. But as evidenced from the number of readers who have interest in reading and commenting about the stench, I guess the reporting will continue. Same goes for the Lane Kiffen KNS coverage... freedom of reading preceded freedom of speech.

AlpharettaVol writes:

It's just human nature but I doubt that any of the coaches who have left/been fired saw that their performance or lack thereof had anything to do with the Vols' poor record since Dooley arrived. It's part of our culture today that nobody wants to admit they didn't do their best. If the record had been substantially better they would have been quick to step up and take credit. What ever happened to the old saying " win together, lose together"?

heyitsme writes:

I left my wife last night 'cause I was "uncertain" what she was doing at the grocery store. Yea, she said she was shopping and had the products to prove it, but I was simply "uncertain".

Therefore, I left her for another woman...

I don't care who you are.... Leaving a collegiate coaching job and using the excuse of "uncertain" is comical. Eric Russell needs to be on the comedy circuit, not the collegiate football circuit...

thevoice writes:

in response to kcbigorngX:

...and I'm a tough old pine knot. You smell, boy.

Thanks for proving my point. Check's in the mail.

Orange_Power_T writes:

I consider myself one of the most hopeful and optimistic fans around BUT, the number of coaches leaving does raise an eyebrow. Over two years I have seen hints that Dooley can in fact coach only to be disgusted by knee jerk decisions. What I see happening is the Ford theory by Hart. Henry Ford by all rights was not an intelligent man, but his company became successful by him being surrounded by extremely intelligent and qualified assitants. Maybe Hart is pulling some of these strings- don't know. Again something is amiss somewhere on the Hill. With that being said, I will still hope our Vols are successful, would love to see a nine or ten win record, and will remain loyal through the whole ordeal. I am not willing to see us go through a five or six win season just to get rid of Dooley. I truly hope he does well and I expect the best. If for some reason it doesn't pan out, I will remain loyal and support any other HC that is brought in. Some of the trolls here are willing to have that loosing season just to get rid of the man. Isn't that like cutting off your nose to spite your face?