Mike Strange: Vols need to play like February team, not December

Mike Strange

The NIT selection committee did its job, awarding Tennessee a No. 1 seed and a home-game path to New York.

The crowd did its job Tuesday night. The head count was only 6,289 but it made up for quantity with quality, cheering long and loud.

And the Vols did their job — finally.

A 65-51 win over Savannah State at Thompson-Boling Arena moved the Vols one step closer to Madison Square Garden. But UT’s next step will have to be more authoritative if it wants to taste the Big Apple.

With just over 13 minutes to play, Savannah’s Preston Blackman drove for a bucket that cut what had been an early 17-point Tennessee lead to 37-35.

Austin Peay flashed before my eyes, and I’ll bet I’m not the only one.

I would say UT had fallen back into its December mid-major hell, but I’m not sure Savannah State, a Division I member only since 2002, even qualifies as a mid-major.

Tennessee’s 22-5 lead was a fading memory. The Tigers from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference were getting the second-chance points, the 50-50 balls and generally looking like the team that wanted to be there more.

Which is an issue in events like the NIT: Who wants to play more basketball and who is ready to go on spring break?

The teams from the lesser leagues generally are motivated, playing with a chip on their shoulder. Teams from the power conferences, well, you never know.

Elsewhere in the NIT bracket Tuesday night, Mississippi State lost at home to Massachusetts. Seton Hall, another No. 1 seed, beat Stony Brook 63-61 in a nail-biter.

Savannah State was playing in its first NCAA-sponsored postseason tournament since 1981 in the program’s Division III days. The Vols were playing their first NIT game since the Buzz Peterson days.

“We respect everybody. We approach every opponent the same,’’ said UT’s Skylar McBee. “If you do that, you don’t have to worry about being upset.’’

But at that 37-35 juncture, the Vols were in fact worried about getting upset.

So was the crowd. The fans were admitted on a general-seating basis. For many it was a rare shot at a good courtside seat, and the enthusiasm showed.

“The crowd energy was great,’’ said coach Cuonzo Martin.

The Vols needed a sixth man, because an important man was missing. Jeronne Maymon, the second-team All-SEC pick, was resting a bruised knee.

A couple of freshmen picked up the slack. Martin will take a combined 20 points from Josh Richardson and Yemi Makanjuola any night.

Richardson in fact stemmed the Savannah charge with an offensive rebound bucket that made it 39-35.

Then Makanjuola produced back-to-back heroics that ignited the crowd further.

Makanjuola, who got his first career start in Maymon’s place, stripped a driving Savannah player and fired a long outlet pass to Trae Golden for a layup and a 41-35 lead.

Next time down, Makanjuola collected a Cameron Tatum miss and scored on the rebound.

Richardson then connected on a pair of short jumpers in the lane, and it was 47-37.

The Tigers got it back to seven once, but McBee nailed the Vols’ only 3-pointer of the second half.

Makanjuola rounded up 10 points and eight rebounds in only 16 minutes. Richardson’s 10 points were one off his career best, established way back in the season-opener.

Now things get tougher, which is par for the March Madness course.

Middle Tennessee State notched an 86-78 win over Marshall in Murfreesboro on Tuesday night. The Blue Raiders are headed this way.

In a nasty mood after being upset in the Sun Belt tournament, MTSU will be stoked to get a shot at the Vols. The Blue Raiders (26-6) have won at UCLA — and Austin Peay — and beat Ole Miss on a neutral floor.

Tennessee will need Maymon back. He’s listed day-to-day.

The Vols will need the crowd energy back. We still don’t know what day or time the second-round game will take place.

And faced with a real mid-major menace, Tennessee will need its late-season form back.

The Vols better play like it’s March, not December, if they want to see Madison Square Garden.

Mike Strange may be reached at strangem@knoxnews.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/strangemike44 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/strange

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

underthehill writes:

It is obvious you can isolate Golden and take him anytime one on one..have to get this fixed quick..MTSU has excellent guard play..

asleep#212036 writes:

OK, I get the melodramatic tone of the article regarding this tougher than expected win but, uh, Maymon didn't play. That's kinda huge, don't you think, Mike? The fact that they kept their heads and stretched out a marginal lead without arguably their best player for the entire game speaks volumes about where they are now compared to December. MTSU is tougher, no doubt, but TBA will get more crowded and much louder the longer we stay in the tournament. IF Maymon is back, we will beat the Blue Raiders even worse than Savannah State. Looking good Vols!!!

cumberland29 writes:

I totally agree with Mike's story. These Vols seem to play to the level of the competition. I saw a great start to the game and then a total letdown. No energy on offense or defense, standing around, not going after rebounds aggressively, and very poor shot selection. It did look just like the December Vols. Not until the lead dwindled to 2 points did we see the February Vols. I thought we were past this type of play.

abnerPeabody writes:

This team showed us all last night just why they are in the NIT and not the NCAA.

mikkim writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Yeah 14 point wins without your best player do that....what an idiot...your name says it all.

More than anything else, this game showed me how far Jarnell has to go on defense. We all know that our perimeter guys have a hard time containing drivers one-on-one, but for the most part our posts have covered for them.

However, against both Ole Miss and last night, the posts were repeatedly out of proper help position. That was, IMHO, the main area in which the Vols missed Maymon last night.

Individually, Jarnell let a guy, who gave up at least 30 pounds to him, back him down under the basket and dunk over him several times. Maybe he was told to avoid foul trouble in Maymon's absence, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't told to give up entirely on defense. I'm as high on Jarnell's potential as anybody, but he is far from a finished product as a complete basketball player.

All of the Vols had better take it up a notch if they want to make it to MSG. Thank goodness Richardson and Makanjuola showed up to play last night.

Ironcity writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree. I also have to wonder out loud why coach Martin insists on playing his small line up when he has decent bigs (Miller and Woolridge). I can't remember when our small line up has not been abused these last three weeks. Its not like we get quicker when we go small we just get a bunch of wing players who don't like playing inside, don't like defending low near the basket and don't rebound well. No point having Miller and Wolridge taking naps on the sidelines.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I'm not saying I disagree but you know why Martin is not playing Miller and Woolridge. Defense and rebounding...same reasons maybe he should consider taking Stokes out of the start.
I don't want him to take Stokes out but maybe cut his time till he picks it up a little. However in his case it's probably not ever having to have played a lot of D in HS. Blocking out I suspect he can do when thinking about it. Lol if I was coach I'd have at least given Miller more time. Woolridge maybe has had his chances. We'll need Miller next year though.
I really like Makanjoula . Richardson's gonna be a really good player next year I think. I guess might as well have Stokes not playing d as Miller or Woolridge. At least it's harder to move Stokes around.
MTSU will be a better team than Sav. ST.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

MTSU will outscore this UT team easily. MTSU was the best team on the board that didnt make the NCAA Tourney. With 6-9 Iowa State transfer LaRon Dendy (14.8 ppg, 54% from floor) likely to do damage in the paint against the small UT frontline. MTSU went 5-1 as a road dog this year and had an average winning margin of 8ppg away. MTSU won at UCLA and Ole Miss and beat NCAA bound Belmont and Western Kentucky. Most scouts say MTSU is the best Belt team in the last 20 years including the Western team that did damage in the NCAA.. I'll put MTSU in New York.

CrankE writes:

Strange: So do they need to play like "February" as the title implies? Or do they need to play like "March" which you say at the end of this article? I would say that I'm confused, but I don't seem to be the one that's confused.

UT needs to toughen the &*^%^&@! up and win some games in this tournament. The gap that UT has yet to close is to demonstrate toughness in March and it seems to be a perennial problem that is independent of the talent level of the team or the coach leading it. What this team does now in this tournament will help them next season and that needs to be the long-term focus as they hit MTSU. Win. Advance.

I am encouraged about the future with this bunch under Martin. And the present isn't too bad either. Go VOLS!

jt45 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Your never right so thank you for the future win over MTSU, those that know your stupid post are already out there putting their money on the vols.
Thanks again !

jt45 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

You want real ? Vanderbilt 71 Kentucky 64
maybe Calipari will let you be his water boy !

Razzle writes:

in response to jt45:

Thanks again !

Yes, our good friend Prof. Handicapper goes against the Vols in every game. Guess he figures sooner or later he's going to get one right.

Let's whip the Blue Raiders!

hikerdude writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree. Our defense has disappeared in the last two games. Golden and Stokes played particularly bad defense. If we play against MTSU like we played last night and against Ole Miss, we're going to lose.

DiegoVol writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Have you ever thought about finding a new Profession? I think a Weather Man would suit you nicely.

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Well, considering how badly you missed on nearly all of your predictions concerning the Vols, I see them as a lock to make it to NYC. I don't doubt at all that MTSU has a good team but if Maymon is back at full strength, I think the Vols will handle them.

John_10065 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John,

I have to look at this a little differently. Our post play was lacking. I think that just showed how much having Maymon means to this team. Without him being there, it made it a lot harder for Stokes to look effective. He was basically playing for two people and against two people a lot of the game.

He did get backed up in the paint a few times and I am sure he'll work on that this summer.

Also let's look at the positives a minute. Makanjuola played well, a summer in the weight room might turn this guy into a real beast in the paint. He looks like he could add an easy 20 pounds of muscle and still be lean.

So next year we'll have Makanjuola, Stokes and Maymon in the front court for sure. I don't see Maymon leaving because he isn't a 1st round NBA player. That's a pretty strong 3 forward set for us.

We got excellent play from freshmen coming off the bench. Without the bench play, this could have gotten away from us. We should be happy about that also.

Tatum didn't look like he was in the game the whole time, that is my only complaint concerning any player.

You mention the post players being out of position. Yes, we look like a sucker for a pick and roll right now. I don't think that is as much a problem with position but a failure to see the pick and roll and shifting off the man they are defending to cover the lane. In every one of the pick and rolls or the picks at the top of the key, the post defenders never saw it developing until it was too late to react.

I trust they'll work on that too.

We can only hope that Maymon is ready to play against MTSU. We're going to need one more big body in the paint I believe.

John_10065 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

You haven't lost your internet access due to lack of payment yet?

With the predictions you make, it would be hard to make money as a professional handicapper.

OrangePride writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Exactly right asleep#212036! Last night was a patchwork lineup that included 3 freshman and folks who DO NOT have a lot of game experience together. All this nonsense about how ragged the team looked at times and how Stokes got a lesson, and so on is just silly. Had Maymon or Hall been in the lineup with Stokes, you would have seen entire dominance inside. As it was, Tennessee still looked the more formidable team all night but for that 9-0 run. Will they have to be better as they go forward? Of course....and they will. Maymon is going to be in games and you will see that February team back in action. So chill everyone. As for the crowd, it may not have been large, but it was VERY energized and enthusiastic. GO VOLS!

easleychuck writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Some genius picked UT to lose to South Carolina, LSU and Vandy. And to be 1 and done in the NIT.

Excellent.

underthehill writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

If TN had gone to the NCAA as a very low seed playing a very high seed I don't think they would have been as well off as they are playing a 2nd game ..or more..in the NIT..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

HEY!! if Cal says we're NCAA then we're NCAA caliber!! COY Something of the year or like?

We're playing better than early on most of the time. Like all teams(Cal's too) we fall back to early habits sometimes. I enjoyed our win against Sav. St. even with the ugliness. AND while I wish we'd been invited to the big tourney I'm happy to get to watch us play probably a few games more. No guarantee there though. We need to bring it against MTSU. They will have no fear of UT. Hopefully vise versa.
It'll be a good game for us either way win lose.
We're at this point training for next season. I DO however want a new banner. The other NIT is getting old and dusty. Maybe Pat can hang us one. GO VOLS both genders.

CrankE writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Well that depends on which hobbit.

I mean, Bilbo may have had game in his day when he had the ring and could weave through defenses unseen. But he's Eleventy One and don't have those moves no more.

If you get Frodo, then he's going to be stopping all the time and slumped over with the ring around his neck. The refs wil have no choice but to call a walk on Frodo. Not to mention that Gollum will always be trying to throttle him and stuff-how can a team get into a rhythm when a stalker keeps interrupting the game?

Sam, is good to stick a few orcs, deliver five fouls and head to the bench with Frodo on his back. But he can't shoot the J.

Pippin will probably pick up the palantir...uh, basketball and find a way to screw things up terribly. Besides, he just smokes too much weed and it's just a matter of time before you'd have to dismiss him for an "unspecified violation of team rules" or he gets pulled over and arrested because he's in a car with the other hobbits with a bag of weed under the seat and a couple of guns with the serial numbers filed off.

My money is on Merry, he's probably a fair half-court playa, but struggles some in transition and inbounding the ball.

in response to John_10065:

John,

I trust they'll work on that too.

After having read your post, I must conclude that we are in violent agreement(;-P)! That's why I was a little puzzled when you said you "have to look at this a little differently". To me, we basically said the same things with very little difference. I too was very pleased with Makanjuola and think we will have an outstanding post presence next year. I also agree that Maymon is the linchpin of this team at both ends and the Vols will need him at full speed to advance in the NIT. The problem with the pick and roll defense has been there much of the year, and proper anticipation is part of the answer there; that is perhaps where most of Stokes' problem is, and I too think he will get better at this. I would like to see them change it up a little and double-team the ball-handler out top, especially when Maymon is involved. Maymon and almost any of our wing players could just swallow up most guards out anywhere along the arc. Anyway, where exactly do you think we disagree?

jamgod writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

You again...aren't you tired of starving to death with your stupid predictions and losing way to much money. How many times do you have to be shown that you are not very good at this. Please refrain from posting until you have something worth saying...which hasn't been the case much at all with your posts....glad I don't listen to your stupidity!!

John_10065 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

We don't disagree. I just thought you were missing some of the positives.

in response to John_10065:

We don't disagree. I just thought you were missing some of the positives.

If you look at a fair number of my posts, I think you would agree that I have been pretty darned positive. I have repeatedly praised Martin--excessively, in the view of some trolls and negaVols--but who cares what they think? If I have occasionally criticized this or that aspect of their play, it is only because I care. I don't expect perfection, only that they strive for it and keep getting better. That's what fans do and I readily--proudly!--admit that I am one. GBO!!!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to mikkim:

You didn't see the same game as everyone else saw. Tennessee should have won this game by 30 points using their second team players.

Stokes was schooled. Missed shots that most elementry school players would make.Going almost 7 minutes without a field goal and blowing a 17 point lead is just not NCAA worthy.This was not the first game they have done that and with all players healthy.

As for being an idiot,you may well be right.No argument here.

Being elected to the hall of fame after winning in excess of 1 million,shooting 23 perfect games,7 major championships,rolling a 300 game on national tv and carrying a 218 average for 12 years does say it all.Have a good day and thank you.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to DiegoVol:

Maybe not San Diego. Weather Men get it right at least half the time.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to underthehill:

Agree 100%.

John_10065 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

As for being an idiot,you may well be right.No argument here.

Texas today went 10 minutes and only scored 2 points against Cincinnatti in the first half. I thought they had turned off the shot clock and were playing 4 corners offense. Or maybe they were trying to dribble a bowling ball.

Remember, Texas was 9-9 in the conference, was not the conference nor tourneyment champion and got an at large bid.