Home where Vols will continue to draw from in NIT

UT plays MTSU on Monday in NIT

A smallish but energetic home crowd was an edge in Tennessee's first-round National Invitation Tournament victory Tuesday.

Now the Vols hope for even more help against a tough in-state rival.

UT (19-14) plays Middle Tennessee State (26-6) on Monday (TV: ESPN, 7 p.m.).

Tennessee drew 6,289 for its 65-51 win over Savannah State at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The number was small for the program that ranked fifth nationally in attendance at the end of the regular season.

Still, it ranked third among 16 first-round NIT games.

Iowa drew 13,190 for its win over Dayton. Arizona drew 8,433 in an upset loss to Bucknell.

Four games attracted fewer than 2,000 fans. Miami's 1,229 for a win over Valparaiso was the smallest.

"We have the best fans in the nation,'' UT spokesman Jimmy Stanton said Thursday.

"In this case, we found out on Sunday at 9:30 p.m. that we were playing in less than 48 hours.

"We were excited about the turnout, particularly when factoring in such a quick turnaround.''

Round two begins tonight with the field pared to 16. Northwestern visits Washington.

There is one game Saturday, three Sunday and three more Monday.

UT is encouraging fans to purchase tickets online and use the print-at-home option to avoid long lines at the gate Monday night.

Tickets are $10 and can be purchased online at uttix.com.

Gates open at 5:30 p.m. Seating is general admission.

Tennessee's corner of the bracket boasts familiar faces, starting with the Blue Raiders.

The Vols lead the series 9-1. MTSU's only win was the first meeting, an 85-80 1988 NIT victory in Murfreesboro.

The most recent meeting, Nov. 2010 in Knoxville, Tennessee won, 86-56.

The UT-MTSU winner faces the winner between Monday's game between Miami and Minnesota.

Former Kentucky coach Tubby Smith won his 100th game at Minnesota as the sixth-seed Gophers upset three-seed LaSalle in Philadelphia.

Miami, a No. 2 seed, beat Valparaiso. The first-year coach of the Hurricanes is Jim Larranaga, whose George Mason team eliminated the Vols from the 2004 NIT and then went to the NCAA Final Four in 2006.

Arizona was the only No. 1 seed to lose in the opening round. Seton Hall and Washington advanced, along with UT.

Three No. 7 seeds advanced. Iowa, playing at home because Dayton's arena was used in the NCAA tournament, prevailed. Illinois State won in overtime at Ole Miss. Northern Iowa won at Saint Joseph's.

Two other road teams won, Nevada at Oral Roberts and UMass at Mississippi State.

UT was the only first-round winner among four SEC schools. The Big Ten went 3-for-3 with Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern. The Pac-12 went 3-for-4 with Washington, Stanford and Oregon winning.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vol43 writes:

Stallings is an idiot. Let's go into the prevent defense. He should lose the game. Dufus.

Vol43 writes:

So Vandy wins 79-70. That Stallings guy is a pretty good coach. I know (lol).

givehim6 writes:

If you think the Vols were better then the NIT this is the game that will let's them know how good or bad thay are.

GerryOP writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

Sweep, sweep, sweep...

dbc5361 writes:

N.I.T....lmao
Go UT! Finish 69th! Kevin Stallings says hello and that he'll keep his word and "see you in the N.I.T"

AllVols16 writes:

Our defense has to play great! Feed the ball inside and let Stokes DO WORK!!

duck_in_a_pen writes:

in response to dbc5361:

N.I.T....lmao

Stallings will coach Vandy for the final time in their loss Saturday. He will be at South Carolina next year. No news here, we knew he was a gameCOCK all along

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

Last I remember, Tenn went 3-1 against Longlocks and Eddie. You know, I want to pull for Vandy and Fla in the NCAA, but with their sewer-rat fans showing up on this site continually, I may have to pull against them. Right now I'm busy setting some traps for our tunnel-travelers. Will somebody pass the cheese, please?

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Are you kidding? Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't touch her. But with a handle like Bodeane, one would have to ask Jethro some sensitive questions.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to dbc5361:

N.I.T....lmao

Ah let's give him a break...losing is HARD on some folks, Stallings not withstanding...

tennrich1 writes:

in response to decades_vol:

Actually UT has won three of the last four against Vandy...NOW THAT'S GOTTA HURT!!!!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to doesitmatter:

That you Pro Handicapper????? tee hee hee.....

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Better tie a timber crosswise of your backside so as not to fall in.

born2ride writes:

We should have hired Shaka Smart. We would be playing in the NCAA tourney instead of the NIT.

cloudodust writes:

Tennessee playing on is killing the average troll. They are the pandemic the CDC has warned us about. Best medicine on the planet is winning. GBO

Bubba_Knows writes:

NIT=YAWN

SouthPaVol writes:

I would buy a ticket for $10, if that was the cost. Add a tax here, a sur-charge there, and the final cost is $17--for a general admission ticket, where you still have to arrive early to reserve a seat. Why not arrive early and buy the ticket at the door?

Really, $7 to process an electronic ticket? These guys remind me of bankers gouging prices for ATM fees when the whole process is electronic.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to GatorBait88:

So many times are you going to have to be forced to change your name and come crawling back here with a new troll/name/?

GerryOP writes:

in response to GatorBait88:

Sweep, sweep, sweep...

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to EightLetters:

So your life consists of watching Tennesee fans on the news watching TV. It would seem more exciting to watch a recruit open up a Fed Ex Package sent by a KY Coach with Benjamins spilling out. That is Must See TV.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to dbc5361:

N.I.T....lmao

69th???lol NOT! I don't care what anyone says. 2nd in the SEC is not 69th in the country. We may not win even against MTSU( who is pretty good as well) but we are no way that low. That's ridiculous.

SonsOfTennessee writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Wow you're a complete idiot! So when someone's team loses then they automatically stop watching? That would mean the national chmapionship game would have about 80,000 viewers since everyone had stopped watching?? Good Logic there Stephen Hawking..... Damn...how are you even alive?

dcap8424 writes:

in response to EightLetters:

So you're saying that the only games we watched before were the Vols games? Pretty awful last year since apparently I was only supposed to watch one game. Of course we're watching the games. Basketball is basketball.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to EightLetters:

Obviously, this gentleman has forgotten the Billy Gillespie UK years. Wasn' t there an NIT appearance or two there while the Vols were winning games in the NCAAs? Btw, has Calipari denied any interest in the Knicks job yet?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Good thoughts but need some clarification:
1. Are sub 500 teams automatically disqualified from conference tourneys?
2. What if their top 5 plays your bottom 5 and no others and wins all 5, does that make theirs a better conference?
3. RPI already awards home wins at 0.6 and road wins at 1.4, neutral court are 1.0.
4. Encourage teams to run up the score?
5. This one I like. UConn faced a lot of Top 50 teams but won only 2 or 3, but the losses still helped their RPI. A win over a bad team shouldn't pull you down and a loss to a good team shouldn't pull you up.

Dougb-VFL writes:

Our vols are going to finish this year possibly winning the NIT. Next season will be better because Cuonzo is our coach,our young players will have more experience,we are not losing much with our seniors,and Travon Landry will be our point guard. Vol fans hear me out,our pg situation was not the greatest this year although I feel that Trae did a good job he will be a better shooting guard.Washpun looked nervous when he had the ball and that will improve with time but Landry is from Madison,Al and I live not far from there so every time I get a newspaper he is in it for playing so well. After he commited to UT I decided to go to some of his games and he can handle the ball well and is a good team player. I feel he will gel with the rest of our team easily and look forward to next season.I know that the other commits are not 4 and 5 star but I have read some good things about D'Montre Edwards and Quinton Chievous can jump out the gym! Does anyone know why Quinton is not on the team yet? It shows that he committed in 2011 with Washpun but I have yet to see or hear anything about him. If you can shed some light on this please let me know but besides that I am sure we will be in the ncaa tounament next year and possibly with a 6 or better seeding! VFL

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to EightLetters:

It must suck more to be a pos like you

justafan4ut writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

It must suck more to be a pos like you

no i must disagree, a little, i think the the 8letters stands for BALL-SACK, just a thought. Probably what he smells like as well.

mlynn1 writes:

in response to GatorBait88:

No, we left it in Gainsville after the second win!!!

mlynn1 writes:

in response to GatorBait88:

What was Florida's record in the NCAA's in 2008 and 2009, oh, that's right, Florida didn't make the NCAA's they went to NIT 2 years in a row.

in response to Dougb-VFL:

Chievous redshirted this year. The Vols had all they needed at wing this year with Tatum, McRae, McBee, and Richardson. He will be competing for some of Tatum's minutes next year. Washpun was activated ahead of him because the Vols needed a back-up PG more than they needed another wing. Washpun seems to have fallen back in the rotation due to his almost total lack of offense. If he is smart, he will live in the gym in the offseason to develop a reliable shot. I hope Landry is all you say he is, but I still expect Golden to start at PG next year. If the Vols had Magic Johnson, or at least someone of his size, Golden could play at the 2-spot; as it is, the backcourt would be dangerously lacking in height if Golden plays with Landry at PG.

Dougb-VFL writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Thanks for the info. Have you seen Quinton on youtube? The boy can fly but I am not sure about his overall game but he is athletic. I am hoping that Travon plays well enough to at least impact the game but I played ball at a junior college and the jump from highschool to college is steep.I never had a coach as good as Cuonzo and I believe he will make our team better every year! VFL