Addition of Class of 2012 guard means unanticipated changes

Armani Moore

Armani Moore

Tennessee received a verbal commitment from Class of 2012 combo guard Armani Moore on Tuesday, indicating more attrition will be coming than just the Vols' two departing seniors.

Moore is a 6-foot-5 prospect out of Mt. Paran Christian High School in Kennesaw, Ga., who can play point guard, shooting guard or on the wing. He has a three-star rating according to Rivals.com.

Moore's anticipated addition in the early signing period — April 11-May 16 — indicates more than just seniors Renaldo Woolridge and Cameron Tatum will moving on from the UT men's basketball team.

By NCAA rule, a team can't have more than its maximum allotment of scholarship players (13) signed at one time, meaning at least one current Vol with eligibility remaining won't be back with the team.

Freshman point guard Wes Washpun didn't play the final nine games of the season and appeared in just three SEC games.

Junior college transfer Dwight Miller didn't play in UT's season-ending 71-64 loss to Middle Tennessee State on Monday night and hadn't been getting many minutes at forward after the addition of freshman Jarnell Stokes.

The 6-foot-8, 240-pound Miller, who has a year of eligibility remaining, averaged seven minutes in the 23 games he played.

UT coach Cuonzo Martin announced on Tuesday that Woolridge received a medical hardship and plans to transfer and play another season at an undisclosed school after completing the final six hours he needs to graduate.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CoverOrange writes:

Dang, I guess well! Don't mean for any of those to have to leave, but I am not surprised.

1vavolfan writes:

NBC Chicago reported tonight that Martin was interested in the Illinois job hows that for change.

cwbytruckers writes:

I will give up my scholar ship

VolunteerLifer writes:

Another guard. While we need a complete turnover of guards on this team because our guard play is so bad, we also need big men, so I think we will see more than one guard leave to make room for one or more big men to be recruited. Hall and Maymon and Miller will all graduate at the end of next season, leaving us with only two posts. So we need to recruit posts in the class of 2012. Even if we consider Reese to be a post in waiting, we need at least one more, and preferably two more. With Chievous and Edwards ready to take their roles, and don't forget Stanton waiting in the wings - he will need a scholarship too - I see two or three guards leaving.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

If this is true I do not see how he can look the young men in the eye , such as Stokes. He brought these guys in believing in his high moral character. Now he flirting with a Lane Kiffin move. Could be more mattress burning.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

Read on CSNChicago.com
If true, could be Lane Kiffin deja vu.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Well I know who I'd like to see gone.

Hint....a former 4 star shooting guard who's in way over his head at the SEC level.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Dang, coach Martin has a pair of stones to tell kids "you suck, we don't need you anymore, good luck in your upcoming transfer fiasco"

beartn#223846 writes:

It says that Shaka Smart has been offered the Illinois job, and is considering it.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor read article ..kinda dubious with a kid committing today. Rumor. Millers gone next

Witch_Doctors writes:

*Martin just shot the rumor down.
BNL

1vavolfan writes:

Sources close to Martin and Illinois say he is VERY interested sounds like more than a rumor.Only see them hiring Martin if their top 3-4 choices turn the job down, kind of like the Kiffin deal.I believe in CCM but his resume may be hard to sell to the fans in Illinois, his biggest accomplishment is 2 NIT appearances.

Ironcity writes:

I live in Kennesaw and I never heard of the kid. At 6ft 5in he doesn't sound like a natural PG. Hope he is better then advertised.

underthehill writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Taking a team predicted to finish 11th and finishing 2nd in the SEC is expected to get the attention of schools searching for a coach. No surprise here.

in response to 1vavolfan:

Witch Doctor say Martins done said "absolutely no truth and no interest"

Ttown writes:

Dont need this coach let him jump get smart bring him in

Witch Doctor say UT info director has confirmed
NO Truth and No interest. sounds like Martin must be recruiting and someone dont like it. lol

in response to Ttown:

Dont need this coach let him jump get smart bring him in

Witch Doctor say coming from you? HAHAHAH
Witch Doctor say Hogs feeling hurt little piggy?

1vavolfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say Martins done said "absolutely no truth and no interest"
Bones never lie.

What did you expect him to say "I'm waiting to see if Shaka Smart is going to take it, I have put out feelers to let IU know I am interested if their top candidate doesn't take the job". I doubt he goes because Illinois will have higher profile coaches interested but if a couple of top guys turn down the job he could be in the mix and I'll bet he would go. His whole staff is from Illinois and he has ties to the Big 10.

in response to 1vavolfan:

Witch Doctor say really? Geez Witch Doctor got a paypal account...wanna put some money up? really ?
Witch Doctor say in two weeks when it DIDNT/WONT happen will you be on here so I can remind you? I will be.

Witch_Doctors writes:

*Besides you really must follow the program or know too much about Martin. Witch Doctor say he dont sneak around as he has integrity. Witch Doctor doubt he would lie to a kid that committed TODAY and STOKES and sneak away....
Really still any doubt message me and we will
Paypal any amount you can pony up.

Witch_Doctors writes:

*if you trust that article..you can make money
PAYPAY
BNL

1vavolfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Maybe witch doctors English not so good , so let me reiterate(say again). I agree, CCM won't be at Illinois but it won't be because he wouldn't go, it'll be because they don't want him.

in response to 1vavolfan:

* then why the hell are you still beating the damn drum about it? huh?
Witch Doctor say you understand completely

Witch_Doctors writes:

* He has NO interest in going..Witch Doctor say then it doesnt matter what they do or think or hire. Witch Doctor say why keep it going ? Witch Doctor say we have enough trolls that do that bs. Witch Doctor say you wanna put them out of jobs?
*Sorry OVERTIME Witch Doctors a son of a B*tch

UT4prez writes:

in response to TNORANGEDOGDAD:

Read on CSNChicago.com
If true, could be Lane Kiffin deja vu.

Even IF it were true he would not handle it like Kiffin. That's the problem. I have no problem with a coach leaving for their dream job or a better job. Kiffin handled it with no class. That's the issue. Martin has more class.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

*Sorry OVERTIME Witch Doctors a son of a B*tch

I post one link about Martin's interest, obviously news most Vol fans might find interesting. Just keep posting because you keep playing it off as ridiculous. You know a lot less than you think you do, KNS just posted a story I told you about 2 hours ago.

volstudent24 writes:

One thing I don't think anyone has considered is that this kid could be getting Kenny Hall's scholarship. Things have quiet with Hall for a few weeks but I heard through the grapevine on campus that Kenny will not be reinstated to the team.

in response to 1vavolfan:

Witch Doctor being mean..Witch Doctor say if story breaks you da man. Witch Doctor really want someone to bet with. hahaha (KNS dont count) lol
Bones never lie.
(BUT if wrong you were wrong two hours early! lol)

in response to 1vavolfan:

*besides KNS just reposted info off the link you found. (comcast sports site) Witch Doctor believe Martin has a little more integrity with the kids that play for him. Witch Doctor say lets watch the news tomorrow..Martin will either confirm or deny and I believe his work(he already has thru SIO) but anywho..nite
BNL

mtthw741 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Some other breaking news reported here this year...."Vols hire Randy Shannon as DC".."Peyton Manning to the Titans.. Done deal". Even John Gruden, Bill Cower and Mike Tomlin accepted the head coaching position before Dooley.

orangepeel writes:

I hope Martin does not go to Ill. He has done a great job at UT. If he does leave we need to hire Stevens from Butler.

PHAT_VOL writes:

In the last few years we have become such a parnoid fan base. It's a compliment when your coach is mentioned in a head coaching search.

in response to mtthw741:

Witch Doctor say dont forget the classic from Tony Basillo "Lovies is on the plane to Knoxville!" thats the best one.

switcher76 writes:

Is Kenny Hall still with the team or is he gone?

Witch Doctor you are too funny!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

I think folks are overlooking the impact kids who stay in the program 3-4years can have. Some of these kids he's bringing in might not be one and domes, or instant superstars. But it's how you build for long term success. And Rivals said this could be the most underrated player in the state of Georgia.

VictorKruger writes:

I'm surprised that Quinton Chievous is not mentioned in the article along with the other players. He red-shirted, and I don't recall seeing him around the team for the last half of the year. He seems the second most likely player to leave, with Kenny Hall being first.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Great, a three star (I know, stars don't matter) may get us into the next round of the NIT, as long as we don't play another hungry TN team that likes nothing better than to knock off big TN on national TV, ala austin pee pee and mtsucker.

frblalack writes:

Posters on this website are downright hilarious! Coach Martin's name will probably be mentioned every year when coaching vacancies at other schools occur. It's the nature of the beast. Let's hope UT fans show some class & encourage Coach Cuonzo to retire as the winningest head coach in Vol history. The man can flat-out coach! Those with short memories or the brain-dead that post on this site are probably unaware of the incredibly rich talent base available for Coach in his first year! NOT!

Let's encourage our Coaches! Let's encourage our players! The University of Tennessee is a DESTINATION, not a stepping-stone. Four year players are physically and mentally developed to meet any/all of life's challenges. Long-tenured respected/recognized Coaches the SAME!

Respect the Vols! All the Time - Vol for Life!

volboy81 writes:

Cuonzo got out of Illinois...why would he go back? He's too smart to do that!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to VictorKruger:

Chavious will be fine. He needed the RS. Actually several of our frosh needed RS season but we didn't have the depth to do so. Chevous will take a bit of work, but his upside is tremendous.

volboy81 writes:

Does anyone know whatever happened to Chris Jones from Memphis Melrose? He was coming to UT, but couldnt get in academically. Thought he went to JC, Hargrave or some place like that, but havent heard him mentioned in a while...

Gbovol writes:

If we are to compete with Ky. and Vandy and other top 15 teams consistently and not loose to the Austin Peay's we play, Martin needs to upgrade the talent level of the whole team to at least 4 stars, and at least a 5 or two.

SummittsCourt writes:

Bring him on, there is plenty of dead weight on the bench that needs to go so why not improve the team.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

We have a point guard coming with the transfer of the kid from Clemson. This will allow Trae to shift to the two and be the backup point, which I think will work very well. If Moore can shoot, we need him. Stokes and Maymon are going to be beasts next year and will demand double teams on the inside (three to play two kinda arrangements). 2 or 3 guys that can stick the three will be very big.

budd#207344 writes:

Well, if it is on the internet then it must be true

Ironcity writes:

in response to volboy81:

He went to a small school around Pensecola who is coached by an ex Pearl Assistant. He has been a total stud at the school but he will have to stay their two years and of course do well enough to get into a major college. Its my understanding he still really likes UT.
he

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to volstudent24:

And interestingly enough the article mentions nothing about him. I believe he is gone also.

volboy81 writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

I believe thats Cory Stanton, from Springfield, TN. He played at Clemson and at Lipscomb and is transferring to UT. I understand he's really good. Hope so! 5' 11" PG and the #7 rated player in TN in 2010.

tenndave writes:

Someone big is looking at TN. Article is meant to put doubt in a certain recruit's mind. Politics, that's all. Like Bush once said. I have looked in the man's eyes and seen his soul. He is first class and doesn't lie. CM is building TN.