Renaldo Woolridge gets hardship waiver, will transfer

Tennessee's Renaldo Woolridge, left, fights for position against Kentucky.

Tennessee's Renaldo Woolridge, left, fights for position against Kentucky.

Renaldo Woolridge

Renaldo Woolridge

Senior forward Renaldo Woolridge has been granted a medical hardship by the NCAA and plans to transfer to another school to play next season, according to Tennessee men’s basketball coach Cuonzo Martin.

“Renaldo is a quality young man and I wish him the best,’’ Martin said Tuesday. “He was able to get a waiver and he plans to transfer after he graduates. I don’t know where he is headed, but we all wish him well.’’

Woolridge first discussed plans to appeal for the waiver last season after playing in only eight games during his injury-plagued junior year. Woolridge’s waiver request cited the injured ankle he suffered in a fall in Thompson-Boling Arena prior to a January 2011 practice.

Woolridge will best be remembered at UT for hitting four 3-pointers and pulling down eight rebounds in the Vols’ 76-68 win over then-No. 1 Kansas on Jan. 10, 2010. Woolridge also drained five 3-pointers in a loss at No. 1 Kentucky this season, equaling his career high of 17 points.

Off the floor, Woolridge became a fan favorite via his “Swiperboy” rap artist image. Woolridge produced and wrote several songs and videos, many promoting UT athletics including songs about former Vols’ football star Eric Berry and current UT football coach Derek Dooley.

Woolridge, who needs to pass six more hours to graduate, didn’t play in Tennessee’s season-ending 71-64 loss to Middle Tennessee State in the second round of the NIT on Monday night.

Wooldridge will be able to play at any school without having to sit out one season as long as he graduates.

The 6-foot-9 forward from Sherman Oaks, Calif., appeared in 25 games this past season and started four. Woolridge averaged 4.3 points and 3.3 rebounds.

Mike Griffith covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at http://twitter.com/MikeGriffith32

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

keepitreal4vols writes:

I'm gonna miss Swiperboy. I hope he can find enough highlights to put on his DVD resume.

Bigger_Al writes:

Good luck, Swiper Boy. Hope to see you dribbling in the Big Dance next year.

PANCHO writes:

Savannah State?

voloffaith writes:

This open another scholly? He was a senior so guess not ....help me MENSA.....

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to TennVolAlum:

Coach Martin talked about it a few times...he has a foot problem.

volstudent24 writes:

hope he still writes raps about the Vols haha.

thevoice writes:

Relando only played 8 games in 2010/2011 due to a foot injury. Maybe he'll transfer to MTSU to be closer to the Music City recording studios.

jclowers writes:

This means he has to graduate and then transfer to a school that provides a graduate program that UT does not. I guess there was not a scholarship available here so Cuonzo told him it was best to move on.

Caspian writes:

The guy is built like a prototypical NBA player. Might be the most athletic player we had on our team. Just wish his play had reflected it. If I had to guess, I'd say his work ethic is suspect.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to jclowers:

No, this isn't anything to do with the gradute/5th year exception. His season last year does not count towards his eligibility so technically he could come back to UT, but they dont have a scholarship and probably wouldn't want him back anyhow.It can be any school no matter the program.

born2ride writes:

Swiperboy never played up to his potential.

Kenny Hall is probably gone too.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to toddyboy:

You still wearing that red dress toddyboy? Shave yo legs and go get yo freak on Zippy.

Bubba_Knows writes:

Long Live Swiper Boy!!!

bigdisbig writes:

in response to toddyboy:

Thats pretty harsh dude.

He is a good young man but just didn't play up to his potiental. So....everyone who sits on the bench and doesn't get to play is a wasted scholarship? I'd say your mom said pretty much the same about you "Good riddance, he was a waste of skin".

Razor784 writes:

Another highly rated recruit that Bruce Fulmer couldn't develop.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say good luck. Witch Doctor say VFL
Bones never lie.

VOLsince68 writes:

Hope he finds something out there. He seems to be a good kid. He's just not truly a D1 BBall player if you ask me.

He has the size and strength to do whatever he wants, but just don't ever seem to make it happen. Too bad.

GO VOLS!!!!

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

good luck and glad to see somebody got some sence about em,wonder how many more is ready to leave? Its now time to replace martin

CoverOrange writes:

And the broom comes out. How clean will the house get?

eb502us#225637 writes:

Can't blame him for not staying.

He may not be all world and or even have a true position, but with his ability to shoot the three on a team that has few outside threats, he deserved more of an opportunity.

He certainly could have taken the wasted minutes given to Jordan McRae.

Best of luck Renaldo.

murrayvol writes:

Best wishes Renaldo. We'll leave the light on for you.

GerryOP writes:

Thanks Swiperboy. You gave your all for Tennessee... God bless and Godspeed.

FeelVol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

And the broom comes out. How clean will the house get?

I'm guessing Kenny Hall and possibly even Jordan Mcrae.

smokies_old_soul writes:

All the best to Renaldo.

notice how quietly and smoothly this departure is being handled - if Derek Dooley was handling this, he would have a list of stipulations as long as Woolridge's arm and the fallout would have been another frustrated athlete with a bad taste in their mouth and more negative publicity.

lomas98 writes:

The best woolridge ever looked on the court was has freshman year when he cracked the starting lineup to begin the season. After about the quarter of the season was gone, he was on the bench and never really found his game I guess he was getting by on raw talent and once he started getting different coaching just lost his confidence. I know he was highly regarded coming out of high school, but not sure the level of competition he was playing in California. I know I will always remember his contributions during the Kansas game is sophomore year.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to FeelVol:

I'm guessing Kenny Hall and possibly even Jordan Mcrae.

KH would be a likely candidate, not sure that JM isn't just project in the making, it'll come down to whether he wants to be a project. Miller doesn't seem to be making headway, but he has no where else to go. Have to also wonder about Washpun being a washout.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Good luck young man. I hope you have a great life after UT basketball.

Go Vols!

taylorsvolfan writes:

Will not be missed.

sambad writes:

I will miss Swiperboy. He had the misfortune of being misused by two coaches. I sincerely hope he will go somewhere where he will be appreciated. Good luck and good fortune Renaldo.

OwensboroVol writes:

Good Luck Young Man. I personally am very proud of the fact that you are leaving with a degree. Unlike Basketball its something no one can ever take away from you. Not a day will go by in your future that the degree will not benefit you in some way. Good Luck and remember that you are a Vol For Life! Come home anytime

Millisa writes:

Renaldo will be missed Keep your music going especially about the Vols :) :) :) Wish You the Best In ALL that you do

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to smokies_old_soul:

All the best to Renaldo.

That's exactly what I thought when I read Martin's comments. Martin is a class act. Hope UT fights to keep him away from Illinois.

He actually does provide a LOT of stability for that program and I think, in the long run, he will put together a great team.

GetSimmsandTeagueout writes:

Was he injured or just not good enough to play? I guess Motlow could use him.

GetSimmsandTeagueout writes:

in response to smokies_old_soul:

All the best to Renaldo.

Handled? Wasn't his eligibility up anyway?

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

We will miss you, Renaldo! Thanks for being a VFL. God's best to you wherever you land.

CarlChilders writes:

We need to fill an inside void at ETSU!

DougSharp writes:

That explains why CCM didn't use him down the stretch. I was confused as to what was going on. Really wish he would get rid of that ridiculous looking Mohawk and present himself a little more like the young man in the photo in this article. I like him, and I liked his dad as a player. I wish he had earned / been given more playing time this year.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to toddyboy:

I am not gay like you Toddy, but I do think it is great you could come out of the closet. Now, go do whatever you people do.

FeelVol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

All good points CoverOrange but somehow I just don't see Mcrae fitting into Coach Martins plans for this team perhaps I'm wrong.Miller has some skills as was evidence in a few games this year but seems to lack focus at times and Washpun seemed to have gotten into Martins doghouse after a silly technical in a game I can't remember off hand.

brod writes:

why in the world does he still want to play, and where in the world does he plan on transferring?