Derek Dooley sees progress, ready for Vols to wear pads

Vols' spring football practice - March 27, 2012

The first workout left something to be desired for Derek Dooley.

The second brought the kind of progress the Tennessee coach was hoping to see.

But his attention was already moving onto the third after the Vols practiced on Tuesday morning again without pads during their acclimation period, which both Dooley and the players are ready to be done with as they ready for some contact on Thursday.

"We're got to learn a little bit every day, and the cumulative effect over time is going to pay dividends for them," Dooley said. "That’s all a work in progress.

"But it was a good second day, and the more important thing is we’ll have a better feel for our team come Thursday when we put the pads on."

Before getting the chance to hit some people and begin playing the kind of physical football the Vols are stressing this spring, they've been getting their share of learning lessons in other areas early in camp so far.

Relationships between a dramatically different coaching staff and the players are still being formed, offering one challenge in the transition into the third season for Dooley at UT.

And particularly on defense, the overhaul includes significant changes to the playbook, which is making the way its presented critical in the process.

"We put a lot in every day, the other side of the ball puts a lot in every day and it just keeps growing and growing, the amount of mental decisions you have to make," Dooley said. "It’s hard. It’s hard on the young guys, but it’s kind of whole-part-whole teaching. You throw a lot at them, you see what sticks and then you pick up the pieces and throw some more at them.

"I think the important thing when you do that is, No. 1, you’ve got to recognize it takes an incredible amount of mental energy and mental effort to be a good football player."

The next phase is the physical part. And after two short days, the Vols are already anxious to dive into it.

For more on the second workout of camp, check back to http://www.govolsxtra.com, pick up Wednesday's News Sentinel or follow @Vols_Beat on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

EVERYONE on this board knows you're the biggest JOKE of all. And the most dim of the POSERS.

Vol_Stuck_in_GA writes:

I said it in a post on a different article.. Tennessee FANS support the university, teams, and coaches. If you are not a Tennessee fan, you are on the wrong message board. Make a decision!

GONAVY writes:

oh good grief. Stop all the sophomoric back and forth personal attacks. Post a point and quit trying to incite. Wasted space. Do have some fun now and then with comments; I do. But stop the sand box antics.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Witch Doctor say see..theres "watering the bamboo thing? ....?
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor used it the other day then "exlained" he heard it on here. lol
Bones never lie.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Would the above comment by this kid posing as "Peyton Manning" not be deemed to be off topic, defamatory, and abusive? Come on KNS, you have booted people for much less.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

"Before getting the chance to hit some people and begin playing the kind of physical football the Vols are stressing this spring..."

Can someone please point out an FBS football team that isn't "stressing" "physical football" in their practices?

EVERY college football team is going to stress "physical football" because...it's FREAKING FOOTBALL! Find me one coach that's going to be out on the practice field yelling, "O.k. I want you to tackle, but do it gently! We don't want anyone to get bruised."

For some reason lazy sports-column filler like that just gets under my skin.

I hope that the Vols coaching staff will also stress "fast running" and "impact tackling." Maybe they'll drink some wet water when they get done with practicing physical football.

GoVols_16 writes:

I have not been this UN-excited about the upcoming football season since 2008. I'm afraid we're a program going nowhere fast, for a while... Glad Peyton has the opportunity to make some noise with the Broncos though.

GerryOP writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Questioning? Fine! Ridicule? Not fine! Got it?

CrankE writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

For some reason lazy sports-column filler like that just gets under my skin.

Perhaps they went to The Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too School.

Saaaaaaaay, doesn't Derek Zoolander look kind of like Derek Dooley? I wonder if he's a better coach.

GerryOP writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Alum (/ˈæləm/) is both a specific chemical compound and a class of chemical compounds. The specific compound is the hydrated potassium aluminium sulfate (potassium alum) with the formula KAl(SO4)2·12H2O. The wider class of compounds known as alums have the related empirical formula, AB(SO4)2·12H2O.

GerryOP writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Bwhaaahaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaa! Which grade are you in, 7th or 8th?

GerryOP writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

You didn't answer me -- 7th or 8th?

Vol43 writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

How did Richard Petty get into this? One more thing, Gerry has your number and boy it shows! You've got the whole summer to trash the VOLS so have at it. And, NO, you're not an alum.

CrankE writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Um....didn't you just answer him? Just saying...

Vol_in_Mich writes:

You funny guys! Not much else to do until real football season starts. Only thing that bothers me are the ones who think they can tell folks who is or isn't a fan & who should be on here based on if they agree with you or not. That's B.S.
I only ask for one thing from Dooley, Beat the Frigging Gators!

GerryOP writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

I only ask for one thing from Dooley, Beat the Frigging Gators!

172 days ... bring 'em on!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

I believe most want to see Coach Dooley succeed. But it has to began with winning. Everything else appears in place. Win and the naysayers will be quiet, continue to lose and the wagon takes on more for his ouster.

Docrok writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

OK I will bite, but under what logic do you base UT's upcoming bad season???? I am curious and having not been on Govols in awhile I have not seen your reasoning....................

Docrok writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

I only ask for one thing from Dooley, Beat the Frigging Gators!

I am going to go a little bit further because I think Dooley should be the Gators. I think he should also beat GA and SC. Does that mean he will No it doesn't but I think this season TN should be able to compete with any team on the schedule and should be favored in a lot of games such as the FL game and the SC.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor ready for some spring drills! Witch Doctor subconsciously catch self stretching out the Hemi's while popcorn finished popping at 2:00 oclock feeding(Witch Doctor trying short mini meals) lol
Bones never lie.

Docrok writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

I agree with your post. The pieces are all in place and at this point there is no more excuses that will fly for losing to teams such as KY, MS State or not competing against teams such as AL or LSU or ARK. I have been a fan of Dooley, and I always support TN, but if with this roster and experience if Dooley can not win a minimum of 9 games then I do not think he is the coach for TN. Unless he shows he cant do this next season though I will continue to support Dooley and believe that he can do it.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Docrok:

I agree. This team is ready to put everything together and start winning. A little short on depth at a couple of spots, but all of the pains and agonies from the past two years should payoff and bring some victories home to K'town. I'm not into predicting records, but I see every game as being winnable.

158 ... stay tuned...

Docrok writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

No your condescending comments do not bring me up to speed. I understand the game of football pretty well. And at least you confirmed a couple things in that Dooley has brought in quality coaches and I will assume you believe, (rightfully so) that Dooley has also brought in quality players. Additionally these players have the experience to develop into SEC Caliber players and develop into leaders as most have played a majority of the past 2 seasons. With all this in mind I have a hard time seeing anything less than 8 wins, even if Dooley is a mediocre coach. But the reality is we do not know how good of a coach Dooley really is because he has not had all these pieces in place until this season. If he fails I will firmly be on the wagon train to fire him. But if he succeeds I will be very pleased and be firmly in the give that man an extension train. For now I am going to wait and see. Because whether or not he is successful (10 wins), he will not be fired unless he wins less than 8 and I can not see that happening if he is a mediocre coach which he is at the very least a mediocre coach. Irregardless you have yet to state what beliefs you base the fact that he will fail.

Docrok writes:

in response to GerryOP:

158 ... stay tuned...

I agree that every game is winnable and TN should be winning alot more next year with the talent and experience on this team. In my opinion this year sets the bar for me as far as whether I think Dooley can lead TN to glory. Less than 9 wins tells me he will always be the whipping boy of the top coaches in the conference, which just got bigger. 10 or more wins and I think he has outcoached a couple of opponents and brought his team to play for the games TN should be favored.

DavidB writes:

Im not on the Dooley band wagon nor I am against him. I support him because he coaches the Vols, I hope he succeeds because he coaches the Vols. The more great coaches he surrounds himself with the better the Vols will produce. Keep in mind, Dooley is responsible for bringing in the right coaching staff first. They are responsible for getting the players ready to play and the players are responsible for putting everything on the field. Very hard to point a finger at just one person in college football.

Alumni, not Alumni, does it really make any difference at all. A Vol fan is a Vol fan no matter if they finished high school, went to college or graduated from UT.

Plain and simple, Dooley has to win games this year to remain the coach at UT. He is in year 3 (technically more like year 2) of his coaching career at UT but fans and boosters wont tolerate many more bad seasons before the ax falls.

Anyone that believes Dooley isnt trying to figure out how to win is an idiot though. Maybe he is not the right guy for us, maybe he is? Who really knows for sure at this point.

As for being negative all the time what does it help with? On this site if you are not singing praises you seem to be a troll (which last year the site was 80% trolls after the loss to KY).

I agree with a previous poster who put stop the sandbox antics and focus on being a good Vol fan.

Docrok writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Yes well Saban was 19-16-1 in his first three seasons at Mi State which was fairly close to their 3 previous seasons. You can only win in the SEC with a two deep full of starting talent, and TN now has this. Till he proves he can't win with that talent I am going to believe he can. He has done all the necessary requirements of a coach in this league dig a program out of a slump, at least give him a chance to prove whether he can or not!

jjsteel writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor used it the other day then "exlained" he heard it on here. lol
Bones never lie.

So what is the current step, of the 21 steps involved in watering the bamboo?

kletusfleabiscuit writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

So. After the 2012 season,,Coach Dooley should be at or above the .500 mark. What say ye to that Mr. Aluminum?

UT-on-3 writes:

GO VOLS!!!!!!
all I gotta say

Docrok writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

LA Tech is in the conference with Nevada and Boise State, the same Boise State that was beating OK and Va Tech and Oregon. La Tech was also a traditionally down trodden Athletics department and mind you Dooley took them to their first bowl appearance and 8 win season in quite awhile. You are comparing Apples and Oranges here. And showing your age with that ridiculous conversation structure so have a nice day!

volfanew writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Please remember to forward your resume to the appropriate parties should CDD depart...seriously! I'm ready to celebrate a BCC win and, with you at the helm, a dynasty would be born!

volfanew writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Why the hostility, PM? I'm on your side!

DalTexVol writes:

in response to volfanew:

Why the hostility, PM? I'm on your side!

PM does sound a little hostile today, doesn't he?

DalTexVol writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

I believe he was just making fun of you. I am sure he knows what is an "alum" of a university.

underthehill writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

I only ask for one thing from Dooley, Beat the Frigging Gators!

The funny guys u refer to ain't likely to get your message..but I think the Knoxville News Sentinel provides this site and does a good job monitoring the comments...as for beating the Gators..I tend to look at what the Vegas guys take bets on ..and I think the over and under for wins for TN is 6 wins..I don't think they're counting on a win over the Gators...

Wayfarer writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

Sir, you are not alum, because it is a chemical compound. You are an alumnus of the University of Tennessee and with other attendees and graduates you form the group known as the alumni. If you want to claim being a person who attended UT and graduated then prove it by using the education you gained there. Urban gibberish is rampant in this country and those of us luckily enough to have an education should not contribute to it. I attended UT while I was home helping to care for my family when my father was injured so I, too, am alumnus and I am proud enough of the education I received there and at other institutions that I refuse to write in a manner I know is incorrect, perhaps you should try it.

BS Business Management, BA Biblical Studies, Master of Divinity

GerryOP writes:

in response to Docrok:

In addition to the experience gained by being thrown into the fire the last two years, the biggest change I see is in the guys themselves! Take a look at the practice pics being posted. The change over the past 4-5 months is incredible! They no longer look like a bunch of big high school guys, they look like college football players. Add that to the upperclass leadership that seems to be developing and I think the dark days are almost over. Sure, there will be a couple of stumbles and slips. But if they keep at the workouts over the next 5 months, I don't think we'll be disappointed.

As far as the coaching is concerned, the next two years will tell the story. This year must show definite progress in wins and performance and then on to the SEC East Championship in '13!

movinonup writes:

in response to PeytonManning:

speaking of putting on pads and wanting to hit someone.....jus sayin

(no need to reply - I am not reading this one any longer)

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say see..theres "watering the bamboo thing? ....?
Bones never lie.

What's with "watering the bamboo"? Is it like peeing in the potted plants?
Just asking Witch Dr.

VolBlitz writes:

PLEASE GUYS, do not respond to these trolls, they only feed off of it. They'll hijack the thread if you let 'em.

Now, lets get back to football...

I am looking forward to seeing how the OL shakes out. I know the coach's are saying this is experimental but I believe it will stick with Tiny moving to LT and Dallas to LG (it could be reversed) it seems the right side of the line is what will be up for grabs. I'm thinking Bullard will stay at center. Ja'Wuan I think will stay at RT so the only leaves the RG spot up for grabs between a lot of other very capable guys. Zach Fulton being the favorite and Marcus Jackson the runner up, we'll see.

Also, Sal's new defensive scheme is going to be another fun thing to watch develop. Can't wait to see Sentimore, O'Brien and McCullers, they will definitely need to come up to speed quickly as they will be counted on early.

Wilcox's blitz's were just so unproductive last year. Here's hoping Sal will have a few more answers to get to the QB.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

As many ignorant posts as PM has made, what did he say that has gotten him removed? Seriously, I missed it and can't imagine what he said that was worse today than any other?

Vol_in_Mich writes:

I guess PeytonManning really upset someone at KNS, all his B.S. has been removed.
As to beating the Gators, I would love to see it, but it ain't happining. Phat Phil rarely did it, Peyton never did it, (Tee did) Kiffy didn't do it, Doodly won't do it. Maybe the next guy will. Gawd, Gator fans are such snots! Worse than some of the Vol fans on here.

VolinCalif writes:

Hey Witchy, Put down your doll but leave the pin in the B..I love the start of anew season as I am sure most on this board do. If we just take a moment to look at things, this can well be a great year. So what if we had a losing season last year. WE played the hardest schedule in college Football,all the really big guys. So our guys got beat up a little and were wore out by seasons end. Big Deal. Yes we lost some coaches but the truth is they turned tail because they couldn't handle the pressure of the SEC. So the best of luck to them and good riddance. We had a very good team starting last year just no depth and a very hard schedule, we didn't really do that bad and this year we are ready to start fresh with depth. We'll go 9-3 + a bowl. Just for luck I'll even say we'll win the O/W game. Use that pin on the naysayers Witchy.
Go Vols

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to GatorBait88:

As soon as I read his post, I thought "GaitorBait" LOL.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

Not hardly packer. Most of us just want the man to have a fair chance, after REBUILDING the team. You POSERS that want to proclaim the team "rebuilt", but faltering under Dooley, are just a sad, bitter few with an agenda. Dooley HAS NOT had the horses to be judged in the horse race up to this point. Those that say we should have had a better record for the last two years are simply dilusional, and are ignoring the rebuilding process we have HAD to undertake. So in my mind, NO, you're not a VOL fan if you refuse to give a UT coach a legitimate chance. My guess would be either a total Fulmerite, or a fan of another school that has too much time on his hands, or a "paid" Troll.

Those that UNDERSTAND the rebuilding process, UNDERSTAND what's going on, and understand a coach can't be judged until he has a roster that is equal to our competitors' rosters. It's that simple, like it or not. You have to have the jimmie's and joe's to compete with the jimmie's and joe's. If it's what you NEED to do, just keep hating. When Dooley turns it around, I'm sure you'll have another screen name, and a different story. You seem like the type to me.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Docrok:

Good comment Docrok. Pretty much says it like it is. This is the first time he's had a full magazine of bullets to fight with and now we shall see if he can do something with it. If not, so be it. As I said last year, it is difficult to fight a man with a machine gun if all you have is a slingshot. And that's about what we had up there since Dooley arrived.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Navaloranges:

Great post Naval. I've given up trying to educate these goofs on the definition of rebuilding. I'd suggest they should look it up in the dictionary but I'm pretty sure most of them can't read.

You made a great point that all a real fan asks is that the man be given a chance. If folk won't give somebody a chance to succeed because of some perceived bias or agenda, then are just not very knowledgeable about the process and, worse than that, pretty sad excuses for human beings.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

Seriously, anyone want to tell me what "Peyton" said?

Colliervol writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Haven't been on here much lately so I'm not as familiar with his finely honed wit but I suspect an overload of "Suggest Removal" finally got through to the KNS geniuses that maybe they should do something. I am certain he will surface as some other name. They always do.

Share your thoughts