Supporters sign 'We Back Pat' billboard; Alzheimer's series launches Sunday

Pat Carson, an employee with the Knox County Human Resources office, signs the 'We Back Pat' billboard on Wednesday. The billboard is part of Alzheimer's Tennessee's campaign to show support for Pat Summitt.
 (J. Miles Cary/News Sentinel)

Photo by J. Miles Cary

Pat Carson, an employee with the Knox County Human Resources office, signs the "We Back Pat" billboard on Wednesday. The billboard is part of Alzheimer's Tennessee's campaign to show support for Pat Summitt. (J. Miles Cary/News Sentinel)

KNOXVILLE - Dozens of supporters added their best wishes for Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt and families of loved ones with Alzheimer's disease today to a billboard placed in the City County Building downtown.

The billboard movement began soon after Summitt announced in August she had been diagnosed with early onset dementia, Alzheimer's type.

Sponsor Alzheimer's Tennessee Inc. also had "We Back Pat" pins and other small items available at the signing. Those making a small donation could sign up for a chance to win a "We Back Pat" T-shirt.

Summitt's announcement has increased public awareness of Alzheimer's and related conditions.

Starting Sunday, the News Sentinel launches a three-part series on Alzheimer's.

Sunday's chapter will look back at the Lady Vols' just completed season and the reaction of coaches, players and others along the way to Summitt's plight.

On April 8, we'll look at how the disease is being dealt with today, its effects on families and ways to seek treatment.

The third part April 15 focuses on Alzheimer's research, including that of area doctors.

Alzheimer's Tennessee is holding a walk Saturday, April 14, to honor families coping with Alzheimer's and those diagnosed with it. Summitt and former University of Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer are honorary co-chairs of the walk.

Share photos showing your support of Summitt by posting them to http://www.facebook.com/govolsxtra.

More details as they develop online and in Thursday's News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BigRMan writes:

Grand show of support for the grandest women's coach of them all. Maybe Coach Summit can do for the Alzheimer's cause what Jerry Lewis has done for Muscular Dystrophy. Wouldn't it be great if her bout with the disease would lead to other billboards and ads/Public Service announcements that would culminate in a national telethon that would air every year in early April to coincide with the yearly Women's Final Four!

mytrifecta writes:

I live in Nashville and Tenessean columnist David Climer has written 2 articles in the past few months strongly suggesting coach Summitt retire. Climers articles are insensitive, ignorant and only meant to create a stir. Coach Summitt has earned the right to remain our coach as long as she wants and to leave on her own terms without any media pressure. I'm normally not one to protest but hope you will join me in boycotting the Tenneasean as long as Climer is contributing to their publication. His lack of talent as a writer is overshadowed only by his incredible lack of judgement.

BigRMan writes:

AS a true show of support for Coach Summit, the NCAA should donate a portion of ALL Final Four proceeds from ticket sales & merchandising to the find a cure for Alzheimer's fund.

BigRMan writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

Sounds like Climer is really a Sinker!

voloffaith writes:

in response to BigRMan:

Sounds like Climer is really a Sinker!

He's a fishing lure? My My that is low....gurgle gurgle...

BigRMan writes:

in response to voloffaith:

He's a fishing lure? My My that is low....gurgle gurgle...

My apologies for baiting you into that remark! (LOL)

SquarePeg writes:

I'm sick to the core on how much feed is poked down our through on the subject of Pat Summitt and her issues; is she not 'backed enough' after all these articles and the media accompanying?

Her issues are just like others, others who face the same every day - Pat has had time to adjust to this unfortunate event in her life, there are others who do and go on about their business. She hasn't thought of what the next year or two will bring as to her continuing.... that is unbelievable, as the obvious is that she should have made a decision before now.

More support she can muster should not make a difference in the decision, most of us can read the motives in all these efforts, enough is enough!

Ladytiffknee writes:

Hopefull one day there will be a cure.

voloffaith writes:

in response to BigRMan:

My apologies for baiting you into that remark! (LOL)

Yeah you hooked me with line.....hook,line, and stinker.....KLOL(Kinda)

kg4eul42#277922 writes:

I am in the video being interviewed. My name is wrong. My name is Kathy Lewis from Fourth Circuit Court, not Diana Sweet.

jigsha (staff) writes:

in response to kg4eul42#277922:

Thanks for letting us know. We'll correct it.

Jigsha Desai
knoxnews.com

rdberry#654521 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Yeah you hooked me with line.....hook,line, and stinker.....KLOL(Kinda)

There's definately something fishy going on here

kg4eul42#277922 writes:

What happened to the video that was on earlier?