Sources: Da'Rick Rogers received two-week ban in offseason

Naz Oliver on Da'Rick Rogers' absence from practice Thursday

Already short on hands, the top returning set of them was nowhere to be found on the practice field.

There's no certainty when Da'Rick Rogers might be around to put his productive mitts back to work for the Tennessee football team. And there's also now a question of even if he'll return to the program.

The junior wide receiver was notably missing as the Vols went through their third practice of spring camp on Thursday morning at Haslam Field, an absence that was followed by a report from Panthersville.com that Rogers was considering a transfer to Georgia State.

"Georgia State would be the only place I'd look at," Rogers told the website.

The other option remains sticking with the Vols for a third season, and coach Derek Dooley was unaware of any decision by Rogers and indicated he wasn't facing suspension from his current program, leaving his official status as something of a mystery.

That was the policy earlier this week as well when Dooley declined to address a two-week ban from offseason activities for Rogers for conduct detrimental to the team, which multiple sources confirmed was a physical threat to a strength coach. The sources requested anonymity because no official announcement was made by UT.

But that punishment ended before practice resumed, and it didn't keep him off the field for the first two sessions before he disappeared on Thursday.

"I don't have any knowledge of him wanting to leave," Dooley said after the workout. "He's never told me that, or indicated that to me or anybody else.

"Da'Rick, he's got some things he's got to do internally and when he does them, he'll be back. It's kind of an internal, team issue. And it's something he's just got to finish doing some stuff and when he does, he'll be back."

Dooley suggested that could happen as early as today, though his post-practice media session was almost immediately followed by the report that Rogers was weighing a move to Georgia State — a Football Championship Subdivision member on UT's schedule in the fall.

If that contest is going to be a home game for him at Neyland Stadium, Dooley stressed that Rogers has work to do before he can practice again with the Vols. But he never called the situation a suspension for the first-team All-SEC performer, seemingly leaving the door open for Rogers and a choice about his future up to him.

"We've got faith in Da'Rick," junior Naz Oliver said. "Whatever he decides to do, whatever he's doing, we're just going to go with him. He's our teammate, he's our family and we're just going to work with it like that.

"I have visited with him. I don't really know what's going on. I haven't spoken to him today, I haven't seen him today. I saw him yesterday and everything was fine yesterday."

At some point on Wednesday that changed for Rogers, though neither teammates nor Dooley went into any details about his situation.

"We deal with issues all the time, guys," Dooley said. "I think it's probably because of who he is and the success he had, it makes it a bigger story. And I understand that. That's just part of coaching. You're never going to have a time where you don't have problems.

"Listen, my worries when I'm out on the practice field are the 90 guys out there. That's all I can focus on and that's what the team is focused on. It's just like a guy with an injury. We can't worry about the guys that are not out there, and we come in the next day and try to reshape things the next day and see who's out there."

But with Justin Hunter still on the mend from his knee surgery and only two other returning wide receivers with previous experience on the spring roster, when one guy isn't out there it's hard to miss.

Particularly when it's the one with the most production of the bunch.

"I mean, it is what it is," Zach Rogers said. "You know, we come out here and we don't worry about what happens off the field.

"We're coming out here working with the players that we have here, and we're still Tennessee."

When or if Da'Rick Rogers will lend a hand or two to that effort again remains to be seen.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volaholic45 writes:

This cat's probably nowhere near worth the trouble.

maciste54 writes:

Physically threatening a strength coach ???????? Who needs that krap ? Certainly not the Vols. No excuse for this jerk if that's what happened.

volbob writes:

Let the comments begin!!! Oh, Lordy!! If he leaves UT is done! Same thing happens with every team every year. Ask Bryce how it worked out for him. Ohio State has had a ton of similar issues, along with probably every other SEC team...not to mention all of the Big Almost 12...except for Baylor. He will either leave or stay. It isn't the end of the football world...or the "final nail in DD's coffin", as I'm sure some genius will post. GBO

CoverOrange writes:

Strange how the media mentions things like "two-week ban" and "threat to the strength coach" as if they were already well known and reported when they weren't. Those are big deal tidbits and no follow up.

tree_em_smokey writes:

Again? I don't even know what to say.

knsrag writes:

3 days into spring practice and I'm already tired of Dooley and Rogers.

BankerVol writes:

GET RID OF THE THUG! Should have never made it this far.

OrangePsyched writes:

JJ all over again. Is he on the team..off the team..suspended..not suspended.. make the decision for him already. He has no respect for authority whether it's Baggett or the strength coach. We don't need any divas on this team.

a330m#650327 writes:

you need to look a T...Owens...lot of talent but no one wants him because he is a cancer....your headed down the same road....get your head out of your butt before it is to late

rtrchatt writes:

in response to a330m#650327:

Then you have Julio Jones. Model citizen, consumate teammate, always drama free, and all the talent in the world. Another Crimson Champion... Tide is Rolling

atnvol#283282 writes:

The spring after TN signed DaRick Rogers, A fellow from Calhoun, GA came into our business in Pigeon Forge. I asked him what he thought of Rogers since he was a 5 star and a big get for the Vols...he said Rogers was unintelligent. I assumed that was sour grapes since GA did not sign him as planned. But now, I believe he was stating 100% fact about Rogers. This will shake out and the Vols will move on....with or without Rogers.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

2012 Season excuse #24,25,26&27. More to come.
This same old bull is getting old year after year.
Oh well, wait till next year.

vols2#227315 writes:

Fire doodley.

rootin4volz writes:

Freakin' kids, man. Come on, DaRick...man up, dude. You need to either s**t like the coaches are asking you, or get off the freakin' pot and carry your sorry a** down to Georgia State so you can come back up here in the Fall and get your a** whipped up one side and down the other. Geez. You freakin' "kitty-cat".

alwaysBorange writes:

Let's all remember that this is a young man struggling with something. I wish him the best...stay or leave. I remember from my youth that transitioning to manhood wasn't easy. Everyone faces different challenges. Let's all just hope Da'Rick can overcome his.

TritanVol writes:

I need to watch some Youtube clips of the 90's teams to get this negative vibe out of me. We are cursed, I'm sure of it now. Nothing seems to be going right for our football program anymore, very dis-heartening.

jcalhoun4 writes:

So tired of this guy. He's always creating drama and doesn't do enough on the field for me to worry if he gets kicked off. Justin Hunter is our top receiver anyway. He's got a great attitude, is very mature, a hard worker, and more skilled than Da'Rick. I'm not going to miss Rogers if he gets kicked off. The guy needs to grow up and look to Hunter as an example of what he should be like.

Volunista writes:

If a kid knows he will get breaks because of his talent, this is the result. You treat them all the same and you don't have this problem. Rogers should have been running til he threw up, repeatedly. Prima donnas are made, not born and coaches are their enablers. I wish the strength coach had hit him up side the head with a 10-pound weight. It might have done him some good. Dooley has been punked by the punk.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

In other words,
Rogers is a punk.
Dooley needs to manup.
Kns has no inside info.
LOL. what a ride.

CharlotteVol writes:

Y'all remember Kelly Washington? He and Da'Rick are cut from the same cloth. Off the charts talent, but not as special as they think they are. This team has enough pressure on it, they don't need this kind of distraction all season.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Again? I don't even know what to say.

Thanks for your input. Keep up the good work. A+++ comment

Supersayin1 writes:

1. None of us know if this stuff is true!

2. Players have some issues but they can work them out if they want to.

3. Da'Rick is not a WR that comes around everyday, the man is our version of julio jones. Numbers and his beastlyness speaks for it. Ask the honey Badger!How many players scholed him that way this past year?? Not many!!

4. The same idiots on here saying cut him because we have talent arethe same fools who said we wouldn't need janzen jackson and we'd have other talent to fill in ASAP, and how did that turn out for us????

5. Should we cut him because we believe some JUCO will come in a easily take his place and go beyond what he's done? If you say yes then you are a freaking idiot, what if someone gets hurt or Hunter isn't the same player he was before?

6. You morons who want him gone have to think before you speak, and think to yourself, should we only bring 20 bullets to a gun fight against 20 guys or do we bring 21.

Da'Rick is a phenom and a weapon if he gets his head on strait, and you don't cut that lose becauser u feel ohh he's not the model citizen player. This guy will only be around for this year anyway, why not let him go out electrify the crown with TD's and Amazing catches, and beastly acts on the field as well celebrate victory?

Or do you wanna go into the fight with less proven weapons and hope they can be as good?

ellerbee123 writes:

Another tale of a gifted athlete who could go pro and sign for millions after one more year but chooses to act like a total idiot. Perhaps a long talk with Bryce Brown would be helpful to Rogers. What a waste of talent.

Supersayin1 writes:

Sorry Guys i'm just so sick of hearing the moral police saying they are willing to lose great Talent today with a pipe dream of someone stepping up and out doing that guy.

It pisses me off hearing everyone say they would rather go into a battle with one less weapon.

GO VOLS!!

DingoVol writes:

Da'Rick was much less of a threat after Hunter went down. It is amazing how number 2 receivers production drops when they have to be the number 1. I think he knows everyone thinks Hunter is better and he has been a distraction ever since. He is not worth the trouble. So long alligator arms.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to volbob:

Little bit of a difference between Rogers and Brown. For one...Rogers was our leading receiver last year. Brown never lived up to potential. Think we can do well all next year with Hunter (maybe Patterson) and no RB? That's some pretty nice bamboo you're watering. As for Ohio State, yeah, they did deal with this and it they pretty well stank.

I wonder exactly how it is that you Doolaid drinkers expect to win. Having great X's and O's coaching doesn't matter. Having playmakers on the field doesn't matter. Oh that's right, everything is recruiting.

You are right though, if Rogers leaves, it won't be the nail in DD's coffin. The nail in Dooley's coffin will come when he loses to Florida at home.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

GO VOLS!!

Nope, would just rather go into battle with everyone in my trench, on my side. But hey, if you would rather have Rambo that might decide to shoot you instead of the enemy, good luck with that.

VolGrad writes:

For what it's worth:

maurice couch ‏ @MoTrilla44 Get ya head right @darickrogers we gonna need u bro!

Retweeted by Austin Ward

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to VolGrad:

For what it's worth:

Retweeted by Austin Ward

So what should I do now?

MrBamSeydu writes:

Rogers clearly has no interest in being a fan favorite. First he pisses off Georgia fans. Now he's making Tennessee fans mad.

The next Terrell Owens. Attitude not ability.

mdvol writes:

Jack Welch was on CNBC this week and said the worst thing for any company is someone with good numbers but bad culture. He said you must get rid of these people publicly and quickly. The other performers will step up and appreciate the decision by management. No different in football.

pcshowtime writes:

Rogers should have been thrown off the team when he had words with coach Charlie Baggett but he was dooleys boy. So Beggett is forced out. Brey and rogers lay down at lexington in KY game because they do not want to go to some "Crappy bowl game". This kid has been in trouble since he got to UT. I am just sick of it. I just love all the "stability" we have gotten by keeping dooley around this last year. Wasn't that one of the main arguments for keeping him. yes this stability is great. Guess what I am a troll. A troll who is sick of supporting a program that I love but continues to put a sub par product on the field. If I could think of one part of our program that has shown improvement over the last 3 years. just one but I can't. So blame injuries, blame me for being a troll, blame the media. but at the end of the day there is one man getting paid Millions of dollars to fix this thing and so far he has not done squat. And guess what we will owe him several more million when we fire him because he will not win 8 games which is the number he has to win to keep his job. I am sorry I just can not take much more of this phooey.

MGVOL22 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

GO VOLS!!

You obviously have never played college sports….NO ONE is bigger than the "T" on the side of the helmet…..Make sense?

Once you start letting these "Stars" run the program, your program/team is DONE!!

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

"'We deal with issues all the time, guys,' Dooley said. 'I think it's probably because of who he is and the success he had, it makes it a bigger story. And I understand that. That's just part of coaching. You're never going to have a time where you don't have problems.'"

I love how Dooley has to explain to all of us why Rogers' absence is a bigger deal than the the third string walk-on place kicker getting suspended AND then assure us that he understands why we think it's a big deal.

voldog70 writes:

So many of these 5-star players have been pampered all the way through high school and when they get to college they expect the same treatment.
Give me a team full of level-headed 3 and 4-stars players.
Many of these 5-star players don't play up to their expections because they feel they don't need to work as hard as the 3 and 4-star players.

Look over the last 6 years at the 5-star players UT have signed.
2010
Rodgers - 1 good year, but not looking so good now
2009
Brice Brown - bust
Jensen Jackson - bust (1 good year)
2007
Eric Berry - All-American
Chris Donald - bust
Ben Martin - stayed hurt
Brent Vinson - bust
2006
Walter Fisher - who
2005
Demetrice Morley - bust

VolinCalif writes:

in response to ellerbee123:

Idiots do not choose to act that away, that is just what they are. Not saying anyone is an idiot with the exception of myself.

VolGrad writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

So what should I do now?

I don't know what you're talking about.

RoadTrip writes:

Those were some of the most idiotic, wussy comments I have ever heard from a football head coach of a major university in 50 years of following college sports. I thought he was going to cue the Pointer Sisters to start singing at any moment. What a load of junk.

msinva writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Julio was too busy fishing with the Bama money boys

vettefool writes:

Da'rick should be da'gone

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to VolGrad:

I don't know what you're talking about.

Who's on 1st

rootin4volz writes:

You know what fellas and gals? We ALL have a choice to do the RIGHT thing, or NOT do the RIGHT thing.
The RIGHT thing for Da'Rick to do is to stick his tail between his legs, go into Dooley's office and tell him he's willing to do WHATEVER he needs to do to be a member of this team, and then he needs to get his TALENTED a** back out on the practice field and do his thing.
DISCIPLINE IS THE REFINING POWER THROUGH WHICH TALENT BECOMES ABILITY.
Discipline yourself, Da'Rick. Man up. I dare you to. And THEN see what's possible.

VatoMobile writes:

1/15/2010

"Everything we're going to do is going to be done with a foundation of integrity with every aspect of the program," Dooley said. "We're going to represent this institution with class on and off the field."

scvols writes:

I had to fire some good employees due to bad attitudes, just part of life.

Noiseboy writes:

Another Kelly Washington - without the speed, the hands, and the football IQ; just the same "ME" agenda. Dooley's got a short time to get something done and this kid is not part of the solution.

Let him go showcase his skills in that awesome program at Georgia State. At least there won't be cameras the next time he goes off on the coaching staff.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Julio was rolling...In a $70,000 Escalade. Wanna explain that? Or would you rather explain the deep sea fishing? Or do you wanna talk about the $1,000 suits he wore around? I've given you 3 options and I'll only ask you to explain 1 of them. Fair enough?

radiomafia#577548 writes:

Rogers knows a healthy Hunter will show him up big time

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to scvols:

I had to fire some good employees due to bad attitudes, just part of life.

And I'm willing to bet the overall morale of the employees improved. Also wouldn't be shocked if production maintained or improved. Just a guess...

opportunityisnowhere writes:

Don't fret guys. All of this will seem trivial a year from now when we are discussing UT's new football coach. As much as I hate to say it, Dooley will be out after this season, and the drama will be far from over.

JSamson7 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Rich, as always you're right on the money! Long time no see by the way...