Holly Warlick next new coach Tennessee is showing off on caravan

Mike Beaumont stands with Lady Vols head basketball coach Holly Warlick on Monday, May 7, 2012 during a Big Orange Caravan dinner at Maryville College's Alumni Gum. Beaumont was hired as the new director of basketball operations for the Lady Vols.

Photo by Saul Young, copyright © 2012

MARYVILLE — For the third straight year, Tennessee has a new coach making the rounds with annual Big Orange Caravan.

Newly promoted women's basketball coach Holly Warlick joined football coach Derek Dooley and men's basketball coach Cuonzo Martin as well as athletic director Dave Hart for this year's first caravan appearance Monday night.

The caravan has seven stops this month, including Memphis, Atlanta and Jacksonville, Fla.

In past years, the caravan visited more cities with the coaches rotating at each stop. Hart and all three coaches are scheduled to be at each location this year.

Though Warlick says she hadn't been prepped on what to expect on the tour, Pat Summitt's longtime assistant assured the crowd she's ready to handle her new role with the Lady Volunteers.

"I've been here so long that everybody associates Pat and myself with the University of Tennessee so that's been a huge positive," Warlick said.

"It's exciting. I understand the responsibilities are a little bit more and a little bit different, but I think what Pat has allowed me to do throughout my career, last year was a great experience for me, so my expectations are still the same. They haven't changed. We want to compete for championships, and I understand that we've got to get kids in here to make it happen."

Warlick's first squad will consist mostly of freshmen and sophomores after Tennessee lost five seniors from a team that lost in a regional final to eventual national champion Baylor. Still, it'll be the same Lady Vols program, which Hart called "the best women's basketball program in the country," because Warlick said all she knows is Tennessee's aggressive, up-tempo style that emphasizes defense and rebounding.

"When you have a teacher how Pat Summitt was and allowed us to do certain things, we've kind of stepped in and it keeps flowing," Warlick said. "That's how it should be. She's allowed you to do what you're good at. She's taught me so much that I should be able to step and the program should continue because that's the kind of program Pat built."

Unlike Warlick, Martin was a bit of an unknown to Tennessee fans last year when he was a part of the Big Orange Caravan for the first time. After guiding the men's program to a second-place finish in the Southeastern Conference and a second-round appearance in the NIT in his first season, Martin said he can focus more on the men's program and its future rather than himself.

"I think last year it was, 'Who is this guy? How do you pronounce his name? What does he say? What's his style? What's his game plan?'" Martin said. "You'd just lost a coach (Bruce Pearl) that did some good things and had some success for six-plus years so it was one of those deals where it was 'Let's figure this guy out.' I think now it's a case of, 'What's the expectations for this team? How is Trae Golden doing? How is Jarnell Stokes doing? And Jeronne Maymon?' Questions like that I'll have a better grasp for answering them because I have answers for those guys."

Entering his third year with an 11-14 record, Tennessee fans still are looking for answers from Dooley.

"All the anchors that have been weighing our program down the past four or five years, they're all gone," Dooley said. "I saw a team (this spring) that is more experienced than they've been since I've been here. We're deeper than we've been since I've been here. The team chemistry is better than it's been since I've been here, and the commitment level to being good is as good as I've seen it.

"I want to tell you guys I can't thank you enough for the support that the fans have given the last two years. It's been tough, but you know what? Stay with it. The worst is behind us. We've got the results coming."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

tovolny writes:

I, as a fan, have confidence and respect for Coach Derek Dooley. He has charcater, grit, and know-how. Coach Martin...ditto. Coach Warlick...ditto. We are finally dug in, armed, fortified, and have confidence that we can defend the Hill. Bring it on!

RoadTrip writes:

in response to tovolny:

I hope you are right tovolny, yet fear you are not. The only one that meets your description is Coach Zo IMO. I don't believe the media hype anymore. Time will tell and I do hope you are correct.

volboy81 writes:

whether you believe theyll succeed or not, whether you like them or not, if youre a Tennessee fan...BACK THEM! Rome wasnt built in a day and Mike Hamilton's messes cant be fixed in a day either! We are on our way back! GO VOLS!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

VB 81 and tovolny,

Well said. Agree !

in response to volboy81:

Preach it, brother! Fair enough, anybody who wants to criticize any of those three people for any reason is free to do so. Some might say there is ample room for any degree of reasonable skepticism about the long-term prospects for any of them. That being said, as long as they lead competitive teams from UT; conduct themselves with dignity; enforce tough, fair, reasonable standards for their players; and show evidence of getting better, they deserve the support of all Vol fans until their on-field/court performance proves they are the people for the long haul--or not.

Voltman writes:

Dooley's attitude for this year has me all excited for this year its been awhile since he praised the team this much and with the story just recently released on Cordarrele Patterson I am very very excited about this Fall now. 9-3 is my call for this year we beat Georgia and Florida but lose to South Carolina and Alabama and possibly Missouri.

givehim6 writes:

Is CDD now UT's most tenured head coach?

proudveteran writes:

If all the "so called negative jerks that are supposed to be UT Volunteer fans" who constantly feed their negative phooey to these News Sentinel column responses and radio talk show programs would just shut up and really give both Coach Dooley and the Volunteers the support needed, the Volunteer football program would be better off. If these "jerks" are fans, then we sure do not need any enemies "raining" on our parade. In reality these "jerks" help our competition more than they do UT. To these "jerks" either get on our band waggon or go elsewhere with your phooey!

volzrock54 writes:

in response to DeaconBooze:

I agree. I'm sorry but I see this being a very poor year for UT sports all the way around. You can hope for the best but the truth is Dooley isn't Neyland, Martin isn't Pearl and Holly is nowhere near Pat. It's gonna be a long long next few years. Will I support UT with all my heart? Yes. But to think we are going to be okay is crazy. Look for a new head football coach and a hot seat for the BB coach after this year. Calling it like I see it.

Theo writes:

in response to DeaconBooze:

And I repeat - until 30 days ago we couldn't even tell a recruit who the head coach was going to be. Until 10 days ago we didn't even have a staff/recruiting coordinator in place. Don't you think it's a little early to be judging the Lady Vols recruiting prowess. 2013 may not be our best class ever because of the above timing issues. But going forward we have two of the best recruiters in the country. I know Pat was a draw but how did other teams without Pat reel in top talent? Maybe great facilities, great fan support, great coaching staff, tradition. Check, check, check and check.
Some of you are so negative I just can't imagine how pitiful your lives must be.

jamgod writes:

in response to volzrock54:

Well, maybe you need some new glasses or have your "poor" eye-sight checked. You don't see anything and neither does anyone else but at least us true vol fans (not saying your not) are going to support in a positive way. The more the fans join in with a better and positive outlook, these teams can only get better and I for one am calling for next year's programs to be very, very, competative. Yes, there is going to be a bit of a slide with Holly I believe because you just can't replace a Pat Summit and she is really the only question I have but I still think they will be good enough to get in the tournament and hopefully advance further than even Summit's teams have for the past few years.

ladyvolcp3 writes:

You guys comments are crazy if you want Holly Warlick to be Pat Summit and do what she did your crazy theirs only one Pat Summit and theirs only One Holly Warlick and she will continue to compete for championship in her way and i believe we will have a top 10 recruiting class when it all said and done.

stroker writes:

in response to johnlg00:

A Man brother!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

You would think with the money UT has they could afford a more impressive vehicle than a Dodge Caravan..Just sayin'

Theo writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

OK - gotta give you ups for that one!

gatorstomper writes:

in response to volzrock54:

Holly is not Pat. No one is. That doesn't mean she is a loser. The lady vols are as stable as possible after Pat left. Dooley has brought in three true top 20 recruiting classes. Kiffens class was based on janzen, Brown, Nukess, and Teague. only one of those are here. I like the fact that for more than 30 months there have been NO PLAYERS TROUBLE! THE DAYS OF OUR BELOVED VOLS BEING THE PUNCHING BAG OF THE SEC ARE OVER!!!

SoddyVol writes:

in response to DeaconBooze:

The way things turned out, I don't see how we could have expected to get the top recruits for a year or so. Holly will be able to prove just how good she is as head coach in the next two years by what she does with what she has left to work with. Compete with Ky,SC,LSU,Vandy successfully in the next two years will show us a lot.

thevoice writes:

in response to volzrock54:

If you're referring to men's basketball as BB, I don't see the hot seat for Martin. I expect good things. The only thing he has done is outpaced the 2011 preseason predictions and most would say he was No. 2 in the Coach of the Year award.

BillVol writes:

Looks like Holly has a new hairdo...

frblalack writes:

The Big Orange is in good hands. We have EXCEPTIONAL head coaches right down the line!

Looking forward to the SEC softball tournament today! Another outstanding Lady Vols team!

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life - Believe!