1B/OF Richard Carter announces on Twitter he won't return to UT

Tennessee's Richard Carter puts down a bunt during the Vols 7-4 loss to Vanderbilt on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at Lindsey Nelson Field in Knoxville. (Photo by Ben Ozburn/UTADPHOTO)

Photo by Ben Ozburn/UTADPHOTO

Tennessee freshman first baseman and outfielder Richard Carter announced on Twitter he is leaving the program.

"I will not be attending UT next year. I will miss my teammates more than anything. No regrets and excited for the future," was Carter's tweet on Saturday following the season-ending loss to Arkansas.

The Ravenwood High School graduate started four games and played in eight this season. He had one hit in 11 at-bats with two RBIs.

Freshman outfielder Jared Allen responded: “its not gonna be the same man teammates no matter what! Gonna miss you man! #teammates #loveyouman”

And another freshman, pitcher Robbie Kidd, replied: “I love you man, for sure making a trip to see you this summer. #family”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

Too bad. He was my favorite player. At one point he had 7 straight at bats with either a hit or an rbi. I guess coach didn't think he was good enough but he was real good in the games I watched him play.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

what kind of math are you using there Alex? They said he had 1 hit in 11 at bats. You said he had 7 straight with a hit or an rbi. So he had 1 hit and 6 fly outs, hit by pitch or walk with bases loaded or ground outs with runner on 3rd. Maybe he had a foul ball caught and the runner tagged. Whatever.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

That's an incorrect stat. He had 2 hits in the win over Florida, 1 hit in game 1 vs Florida and the following mid week game vs ETSU he went 4-4.

Rookie2 writes:

I don't think the stats listed in the article are correct. UTsports has him at 11 hits in 42 AB's.

FearlessFreep writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

He had 2 RBI and one hit. There's no conceivable way he had "seven straight at bats with either a hit or an RBI."

That fallacy aside, sounds like Serrano didn't like the way the season went at all. Better to jettison guys who wouldn't play to make room for other talent.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to FearlessFreep:

His only out was a fielders choice that scored a run... BTW here's an article with his 4-4 performance. Probably our only 4 hit game all year.

Rookie2 writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Steckenrider had a 4 hit, 4 rbi game in the win against Vandy, but yeh..., not many of those to speak of.

Wonder if Carter got B.J. Coleman disease.., felt he should have been playing more and wasn't going to wait around.

EntourageVol writes:

To be fair, utsports.com player profile lists his stats as quoted in the article. However on the team stats page the list him at the 11-42

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Too bad, I thought this kid was gonna be a player. And for those of you who don't know...the kid had more than one hit. I have no clue what the article is talking about. At one point it seems like he had a couple straight games he hit in. I've slept since then though.

voloffaith writes:

Appears he saw the handwriting on the wall about future commitment to doing all combined with new players coming in and decided to go elsewhere as wearing the Orange/White/Black was not enough. Was that a runon sentence....................................................................................??

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to Rookie2:

I was wondering same thing. B.J. turned out to be right, I bet Carter does too. Bad move by Serrano if he encouraged him to leave.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

I'm sorry but its hard for me to figure that BJ would have helped our team anymore...Right for BJ it was definitely the right move...

gatorstomper writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Come on Rich give KNS a break they write a good piece every once and a while.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

in response to tennrich1:

No he wouldn't have helped at all. Our team hasn't needed a future NFL drafted quarterback. Why would you even bring up the obvious?

FearlessFreep writes:

AlexAnderson you seem to have an agenda . . .

I don't know the kid and haven't seen him play. That being said I do believe that UT has the right baseball coach and staff finally. There are obviously going to be some very hard decisions made this off season and more than a few hurt feelings. Serrano has basically said as much.

Whether it was Serrano's decision or the kid's, I wish him the best of luck and the best for the Tennessee program.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Do you want to see a program that can compete for championships or one that is full of Raleigh players finishing in last place? Serrano was meeting with guys individually this week and Carter won't be the first kid to transfer out. Coach Serrano is going to put together a team that is actually capable of playing SEC baseball. This is only one step towards doing that. College Baseball can be unfair with the limited scholarships, but Tennessee baseball can't continue to try and win the SEC with Division II talent and that is pretty much all Raleigh left Serrano with.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to WetumpkaThumpa:

Correction, it should read he won't be the only kid to transfer out.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Kids leave all the time, these days.

Next?

GONAVY writes:

in response to WetumpkaThumpa:

You're such a putz. I know this kid...and he is talented.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Is this a function of the Serrano "run em' off" effect? Not so sure he or his staff will be around much longer, especially in light of the melt down mid-season until the end....

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

I understand what Serrano has to do but run off the players who can't hit, don't run off a young talented player. If that's what happened. I have no agenda. I just watched/listened to a few games and this kid was a very good player and did so in clutch situations. That's why he was my favorite player.

voloffaith writes:

in response to utvolz#637682:

Does the phrase "Rome was not built in a day" strike a familiar note? Lost key starter several weeks ago. Closer blows it and is canned. Another pitcher lost earlier. So a low level talent team is crippled in one of the toughest conferences and you're looking for magic dust in year one? Believe we will be competitive in near future as Coach Serrano gets his caliber recruits in. Twinky twitter that you have to buy on 247 just secretly posted 5 players not returning next year. We will know their names 2maro and won't have to pay to see it....

Vo2Vol writes:

in response to utvolz#637682:

I wondered how long it would take for a genius to suggest that we need a new coach.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

4 more players have left.

Ironcity writes:

in response to GONAVY:

You're such a putz. I know this kid...and he is talented.

He jsut speaking the truth. Carter is a first basemen who hit 250 with no power. If he was a shortstop that might work but not at first. Wetumpka is right. Its what is necessary if you want to compete in the best conference in America.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Carter, Weaver, Fritts, Rowland and Vanderplas. Also rumors about Steckenrider not coming back. I'm kinda shocked about Fritts and Steck. On the other hand, they are both JRs hitting in the 200s. But Fritts is a tough hard nosed good all around player. Not great at anything but good at everything. Steck was a bit of a disappointment IMO. he was a lethal relief pitcher...that is after his endurance issues got him removed as a starter. But he had great stuff for 2-3 innings. He was a huge disappointment IMO swinging the bat.

We also have bagged a couple of recruits. One from Walters State who was the Tennessee player of the year in JUCO. We also bagged a very good pitcher from Cali who's supposed to be a stud.

CarlChilders writes:

Dooley's fault.

MLL writes:

Unfortunately, 18 year olds have sooo much smoke blown up their butts on how good they are. If they are not immediate starters, they quit.

TrouserCough writes:

in response to CarlChilders:

Dooley's fault.

Remember Kentucky, receiver at quarterback,ran five plays. Dooley could easily have been the problem this year in baseball.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to collegegrovevol:

The freshman coming in will be better than the slackers leaving.

us43137415#376444 writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

4 more players have left.

Who are your 4?

See if they are in the 5 leaving that I know of, who are not seniors.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

And Vandy plays in the SEC Semi Finals today at Hoover. This after losing most of the talent from a Final Four World Series team last year. If Vandy can win they will have won the SEC tourney in Basketball and Baseball in the same season. Thankfully we have one winning program in the state..