UT football improves GPA in spring

UT football improves GPA in the spring

Following a dismal fall semester in the classroom, University of Tennessee football players earned a 2.71 team GPA this spring, according to records released by the athletic department Monday.

“My focus is on the spring semester, not what happened five months ago, and anytime that focus is shared by all, you usually get pretty good results,” said Vice Chancellor for Athletics Dave Hart following the release. “Everybody feels good about where we ended this semester.”

Hart declined to talk about specific teams or say whether any athletes were in danger of ineligibility. Instead, Hart touted the overall GPA of a 2.94 for UT student-athletes.

“That’s at the very core of our mission. When we say the pursuit of excellence, we’re talking not only about competition but in the classroom and our growth as people,” Hart said.

“We’re always looking for improvement for any team we have and we have expectations and standards, and it appears to me that our teams hit the mark in that regard.”

Football coach Derek Dooley has been assuring fans for weeks that the team was on the brink of an academic turnaround, and that the fall team GPA of 2.08 was caused by the lack of a “good working dynamic.”

The team suffered from low morale following a season-ending loss to Kentucky in November, and also dealt with personnel changes in at least four football-related positions in the Thornton Center.

Those issues have since been worked out, Dooley has said in meetings with media and on recent stops for the Big Orange Caravan.

Radio station WNML reported last month that as many as 30 players, including 24 scholarship athletes, were on academic probation during the spring semester with a GPA below a 2.0, which is a C average.

School officials could not confirm nor deny the report due to federal privacy laws.

The men’s basketball team also had a rise from a 2.37 in the fall to a 2.55 in the spring.

Women’s basketball posted a 3.12.

The school also graduated 51 athletes this semester.

The following is GPA information for the various University of Tennessee teams:

Swimming and Diving, Women 3.16 3.22

Tennis, Men 3.24 3.33

Tennis, Women 3.45 3.42

Track and Field, Men 2.79 2.82

Track and Field, Women 3.15 3.28

Volleyball 3.42 3.42

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

It's all in the numbers man....we're talking numbers man...I mean man we're talking numbers...congrats to those who bought into the need to buckle down so they can not only play,but hopefullt proceed towards graduating as they know not many will play at the next level regardless of the school they attend...

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Hey, check it out. A story that has nothing for the trolls. Still, I'm betting there will be anti-Dooley garbage spewed on this one anyway.

gatorstomper writes:

one less thing for the trolls to cry about. By the end of the fall they will have to find another site! GO BIG ORANGE!

gatorstomper writes:

in response to gatorstomper:

9-3!

skyhawk836 writes:

The arrow is pointing up.
The miserable crew has a few more months of jawing.

voloffaith writes:

in response to gatorstomper:

9-3!

I thought that song was "working 9-5" ?

hcjournals#206623 writes:

60% of being successful in college is going to class. At least that's what it seemed like. Getting in the mode of always going to class seems to get a student in the mind set, or flow. Friendships are formed with other students about what is due, when the test are, etc. Even though we have a staff in place to tutor and keep things in the right direction, it's the same old thing that works the best....It starts with the individual athlete. If they put in check all of the distractions such as the glitz and attention that goes along with being an athlete at a major university, a pattern is developed, not unlike the pattern of going to practice every day that will translate into success....It eventually worked for me. and I was in a fraternity that was sports oriented, fun oriented and, trust me, no one thought they were God's gift to women more than we did. But...After getting a few GPAs that would worry a gopher, whatever than means, we finally got that the only one that was going to get a degree for us was us. And we did it. And once you get your degree, no one can ever take it away from you. And i know that getting a degree is not for everyone, and that's cool. But we are talking about the fact that every one of our athletes at the University of Tennessee is here to get their degree. Number one priority. The commercials you see from the NCAA about the the vast majority of athletes will be making their living their lives in some profession other than sports is absolutely true. And the sooner everybody realizes that and sees what a great life that has been afforded for 4 or more years, and that it should be put to good use in getting a college degree, the better. The best example I have ever seen is the Lady Vols basketball players. They go to class. They get ggod grades, and they graduate. And, yes, some of them really have to work at the school work to make it happen. They use the skills they have acquired for basketball ball in terms of perseverance and drive and make it happen in the classroom. This is what I have observed. Of course, i could be wrong. The fire starts down below. Inside. It burns brightly, because no college athlete should be successful without it. Good to see the grades are improving. It's a big deal. And they will respond. They are Vols....For life. Go Vols. Go Big Orange. Go Big....Or Go Home....

gatorstomper writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I thought that song was "working 9-5" ?

lol. You got me!

thevoice writes:

Anyone care to explain how the women's GPA is always higher than the men's?

voloffaith writes:

in response to thevoice:

Anyone care to explain how the women's GPA is always higher than the men's?

Title 9.......... ???? Through all my edumacation years it always seemed the ladies had better focus on their academics than us guys....they weren't usually persuing guys while guys were persuing the female gender more noticeably..... you talking about distractions man..I mean man were talking distractions from higher education man...c'mon man it's just academics man

atributetoLombardiwasbanned writes:

in response to gatorstomper:

I beg to differ.
They won't find another site.
Just a new screen name and a different tune.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Every time this subject comes up I can't help but think of Dean Wermer from Animal House reading aloud Delta fraternity's GPA's..DW: Mr.Blutosky 0.00..

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to thevoice:

Anyone care to explain how the women's GPA is always higher than the men's?

Don't know; I do know that Pat had every player graduate which I think was one of her biggest accomplishments.

There is a saying teach a man and you taught a man teach a women and you taught a village.

The reasoning behind this saying is that women teach the children at home therefore educating a larger group.

I congratulate all the students and hope they continue their studies.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Great job on picking those grades up.

BTW, Phil Steele has us ranked at #27 in his 2012 preseason poll ahead of Auburn and MS State:

Generally, I don't really think preseason polls matter, but Steele generally has a good feel for UT. The big thing I'm looking at is the fact that he has us listed as a Most Improved Team this year. Da'Rick Rogers was named preseason All American, but Bray and Hunter got snubbed in his preseason all SEC picks. Is there a DB in the country that can shut down Hunter? It's the Randy Moss effect: he's going to demand a double team. Really, who are you going to double: Hunter? Rogers? Patterson? Rivera?

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Now that's what I'm talking about!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to thevoice:

Anyone care to explain how the women's GPA is always higher than the men's?

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

I congratulate all the students and hope they continue their studies.

I took classes with Brittany Jackson and other Lady Vols in the early 2000's and they all sat in the front row of every class. This wasn't the case for most football players I had classes with. Only one (Jason Allen) sat in the front row of statistics. The others generally sat in the back o class. I'm not sure on Dooley's requirements, but it appeared Fulmer didn't have any set rules.

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Thanks great explanation and Pat always set the standard both on and off court

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Great job on picking those grades up.

Thank you very much can I use this in some of my posts.

voloffaith writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Hey Vol4 that is pursuing...not persuing....lol

CrankE writes:

Awesome!

I'm glad to hear some good news coming from The Hecktagon and hope that the improvement off the field is an indication of improvement to come on the field.

SevenT writes:

Thank goodness for family studies and physical education classes

TheVolSnake writes:

It took 20 posts till a troll came out and bashed Dooley.

voloffaith writes:

in response to SevenT:

Thank goodness for family studies and physical education classes

I'm glad ewe finally shared with us the kat plan for athletes school load.....only so many kan take badminton for what it is....

TheVolSnake writes:

in response to SevenT:

Thank goodness for family studies and physical education classes

The question is did you finally pass them this year or are you going to have to repeat them again.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

Thank goodness for family studies and physical education classes

I know you appreciated those classes at tucky-U, but they have added trailer haulin and shine squeezing since then..

rockypop writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

If Fulmer had wanted his players to sit in the front row, he would have made sure they took classes with Brittany Jackson.

jschariter#367312 writes:

Really happy to see improvement in grades. Poor class performance is a pretty good indicator of poor team discipline. Keep in mind you would expect better grades in the spring since there is a much lighter practice schedule, and no road game travel... a point not mentioned in the article. I will be interested to see if they do better next fall when discipline on the field and in the class room is most needed because of the time demands.

On the football side of things, we have a much easier schedule this next fall, and I think we are going to need to be a mostly a passing team. O line blocked well for pass and pretty poorly for the run. Only one new face on the starting O next fall. I bet we end up at a 75/25 pass run split which means defense is going to be on the field alot since drives will be short whether they score or not. Our D ran out of gas last year in second half. Not sure if we really have much depth especially at D line and line backer. Some help on D line coming in but nothing much at linebacker from freshman class. Depth a LB will be a must running 3 4.

That said using Bray, Hunter, Rivera, Clear, and Patterson along with other freshmen receivers will give us our best chance to improve on last year.

voloffaith writes:

in response to RockyMountainVol:

Thanks! I'll keep an eye to that....ewe did notice eye was responding to myself when I found the typo.....

FanNotSheep writes:

Look up how girls do in high school and college compared to boys. Read an article about the vast difference in maturity between boys and girls in this age group. Realize that many athletes come from disadvantaged households, and understand the peer pressure that most male athletes deal with that says being smart is not cool. If there's one thing a male athlete wants to be, it's cool.

Finally, compare the number of athletes Pat Summitt had to keep track of versus the UT football program. We aren't taking apples and oranges here. We are talking apples and unicorns. No disrespect for the job Summitt has done over the decades, but let's try to be fair, OK?

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

GerryOP writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Great job on picking those grades up.

Great link Huttdawg. Thanks! Whyisit that the loyal Vol fans collect and reference national articles about our Vols that show progress and promise while the idiot naysaying negaVols and trolls simply rant and rave and wonder why we don't buy thir schtick? Are there that many insecure loonies on here? Maybe so...

GerryOP writes:

in response to Sammy_Burklows_Revenge:

You are not a Vol fan. Take your trash and petty babbling elsewhere.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Thank you for your post. Now I don't have to repley to that skeezer.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

If I had a class with Brittany Jackson I would have laid face down in front of the front row and let Brittany rest her feet on the small of my back. Yum.

UT4prez writes:

Very good news. Can't wait to kick some Wolfpack butt!

tovolny writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

I congratulate all the students and hope they continue their studies.

You must be a "man" then. Did you mean "women" or "woman"...just curious. If the answer is "women" then you have Edgar Allan Poe's gift of being very profound with only simple words. If you recall, he often would say "unclosed" in lieu of "opened" just to keep in the spookiness. I like what you said...it makes a statement that is the same as saying, "the sum of the parts can be greater than the whole if you're not transfixed and conditioned to logical math.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Congratulations to Moctezuma's Revenge for being the one and only troll low enough to post that kind of garbage on this story.

In case anybody's wondering, you can probably check on the grades for pretty much very school and find the football teams' GPA is the lowest of all these listed sports. Grades are inversely proportional to the brawn involved in the sport. Chess clubs is higher than golf which is higher than baseball and finally football is at the bottom. The more gentlemanly the sport, the better the grades.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Just got a commit from one hell of a safety from Texas.

GerryOP writes:

in response to voloffaith:

... and it's tough teaching Underwater Basket Weaving in a land-locked state like KY.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Just got a commit from one hell of a safety from Texas.

More good news. our defensive backfield is going to be stout. The Vols will be able to make teams one dementional.

I have a feeling trolls like sbr will be trying to think of new screen names in just a matter of months. Suggestions: "Dooley is my daddy,"or "Dooley's b***h"

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

You are SO right. I don't know how I was ever critical of Dooley. Apart from the fact that he's never beaten a top-25 team, or beaten a top 10 SEC team, and couldn't keep a staff together with duct tape and glue, he's AWESOME!

FanNotSheep writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

You are right, but it's like an old Matlock TV show when all the facts aren't in yet. Dooley might be a terrible coach, or he might be a guy who learns from his mistakes and turns into a very good coach in time. He inherited a mess and I hope he can turn it around. Why not give him a chance and see if he can win some games now that he has some better, more experienced players?

The way I see it, the jury is still out.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

The way I see it, the jury is still out.

I think your comment is spot on. True vol fans are more intelligent than jump to conclusions without giving CDD a chance. Those who claim to be football experts and don't see this probably don't know football at all, and are either just looking for attention, or satisfying some deep seeded emotional cravings. I, for one, hope CDD can vastly improve the team we all (VOL FANS) have stuck with thru many years of ups and downs. Life experience tells me that regardless of how much we all want things to be just the way we want all the time, this just doesn't happen. A true fan supports his teams and accepts some adversity, rather than whine when things don't go just right. So, be a real fan, be realistic, and support our TENNESSEE VOLS and Coach Dooley with a positive attitude and BELIEVE. With that, I bid you BON JOUR and GBO VFL....

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Great job on picking those grades up.

I know Phil goes by schedule as much as talent as he should. In the last 25 years only two teams with a Top 10 schedule have won a National Championship. Ut plays in the SEC East, which has become a weak link in the SEC. Auburn and Miss St play in the rugged SEC West. Playing Ga State, Akron and Troy while dropping LSU and Arkansas from the West is why he ranks UT this high. . Auburn plays Clemson out of conference plus Arkansas,LSU, Alabama, and Georgia from the East. Basicly UT plays three good teams in Georgia,S Car and Alabama. The first thing any good handicapper looks at is schedule, and UT would never be ranked in the Top 27 by Phil if they played Auburns schedule this year. Basicly Auburn plays a brutal schedule. To answer your next question on who can shut down Hunter it all begins with pass rush vs a weak OL. Plus there is no proof Hunter is the same and will play the same after surgery. I dont see a need to double any UT receiver. The best way to beat Tyler Bray is stay in his face all day with big fast DL and LB's. He throws into coverage when he is pressed and forces too many passes. He will do well vs weak teams, but he has never done well vs any top 15 team with a good pass rush. It's not all his fault as he knows his line can't protect him. Too many fans look at the skill positions and get all excited and never look at what wins games in the SEC. Great defense and running the football. You act like this is the WAC in your anaylsis. Until UT can run the football, they will not win in the SEC. Per Vince Dooley... The WAC attack looks good against Montana, but looks horrible vs Bama.

CroKev writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Just got a commit from one hell of a safety from Texas.

Thanks for this!
#86 overall on Rivals (#10 Safety). 5.9 out of 6.1. You’re right the guy’s a stud. Lot of credit to Conklin et al. for pulling him out of Texas (not bad for a guy coming from the Citadel!). I wonder who his other top schools were. Anyway, it’s fun to see how recruiting is so far ahead of where it was at this time of the year in comparison to the last couple of years.
Junior Highlight Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFh6zV...

gc_scvol writes:

THE BIGGEST LOSER has just proven my point..Thank You !

in response to Huttdawg100:

Great job on picking those grades up.

Thanks for posting this link. I don't know who Phil Steele is, but he certainly found a number of positives for the Vols for this upcoming season. Most interesting to me were the vast increases in the number of starts the returnees have. The trolls and negaVols will NEVER admit that the youth, inexperience, and lack of depth Dooley has had to contend with these last two years had anything to do with the Vols' poor record--nope, in their eyes it is ALL Dooley's fault. The Vols should look a whole lot better next year for the experience and depth factors alone. Either way, we should have enough info to know whether or not Dooley is the man to take us forward.

in response to FanNotSheep:

The academic advantage of females begins early and only widens as they advance through the system. There are a host of psychological, psycho-social, and even physiological reasons why this is so. Athletes are no worse in this respect than male students in general. Guys will respond to firm standards rigorously enforced, but the academic mindset just doesn't take hold as easily in the male brain. Of course there are exceptions, but women dominate every academic field except for the math, engineering, and physical science fields, and their numbers are rising in those fields as well. The level of performance required to get an "average" college degree should be well within the grasp of nearly all student-athletes, male and female. The guys just may need a bit more prodding to make that happen.

CroKev writes:

in response to collegegrovevol:

If Dooley turns it around, then there should be no reason for you to avoid the following bet:
..............................
Voice / Handicapped / Bodeane / Wall-E / Goodest / Saliva's Husband / Merless / et al.

OK, here's the challenge: If UT wins 8 or more games this year, you all promise to stay off GoVolsXtra for 1 year. If they win 7 or less, then I promise to stay off for a year. Of course, this assumes that we're all people of integrity (i.e., won't change our screen names). I'm confident in my claims; how about you?
.....................
You're always strangely silent when you have to "put up or shut up."