Kaela Davis commits to Georgia Tech

Kaela Davis is staying close to home to play collegiate women’s basketball.

The 6-foot-2 wing player from Buford (Ga.) High School, who’s ranked No. 2 in the Class of 2013 by ESPN HoopGurlz, committed to Georgia Tech on Thursday afternoon. Davis visited Tech last weekend.

Davis’ brother, A.J,, congratulated his sister via Twitter by saying, “I’m glad she did what she felt was best for her! Nobody can be mad at that.”

A.J. committed in September to play for the Tennessee men’s team, adding to the ongoing speculation about his sister’s eventual choice.

Lady Vols first-year coach Holly Warlick and her staff visited Davis in September and she made an official campus visit last month.

Davis had committed to Tennessee in May of 2010 but her recruitment was reopened in February. At that time, Davis’ mother, Kendra, expressed concern over the coaching future of then-head coach Pat Summitt and the impact it was having on recruiting. Summitt, who had been diagnosed with early onset dementia Alzheimer’s type, stepped down in April to become head coach emeritus and was replaced by Warlick.

To date, Tennessee has commitments from center Mercedes Russell, who’s ranked No. 1 in the class, and guard Jannah Tucker, who’s ranked No. 8.

Former Tennessee star Candace Parker, who is Davis’ god-sister, also congratulated her via Twitter and said, “I guess I gotta go out and get some old gold now!”

In other news, guard Jordan Reynolds from Portland, Ore., said via Twitter that she will have a press conference at 8 p.m. Eastern today.

UT, Southern California and Louisville are believed to be in the running for Reynolds, who visited UT last month.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Now THAT is a bummer! I was pretty sure after the men signed her brother AJ that Kaela would come here after all. I wonder what her parents REALLY think about her making them choose whether to come to her games or her brother's! Maybe they can do both, but they surely won't see both of them as often.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

My guess is that there was a little too much competition at UT. Ga Tech WBB and UT are certainly not in the same conversation. If she had chosen Duke, Uconn, Louisville I might be disappointed. But I wish her luck with this

mocsandvolsfan writes:

If not UT, Ga. Tech's alright by me. Maybe we can scrimmage them.lol We're sittin' good now but it'd be nice to add a couple top recruits just for fun. I'm actually more excited this year for the LV's than even normal. New coach. Young team. We'll see how good a coach Warlick is and maybe draw some more players by how well we do. I bet we'll be a little better than 20th. Especially if they've bought into defense.

Chris_in_Maine writes:

I truly believe after she decommitted, she had no intention of going to UT

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

I don't think anyone saw that coming. She will definetly be a star at Tech as opposed to a star in the galaxy at UT.

south_alabama_vol writes:

Maybe she decided she wanted to be a big fish in a small pond.

linebam writes:

At least she's not going to UCONN. I wish her well.

Good points, all. With what the LVs already have on board and in the pipeline, they will be fine. I hate to sound like one of those who always say about a player who turned us down, "Well, we didn't want or need her anyway" and such, but this might actually BE one of those cases which turns out better for everyone.

chaos001 writes:

This may possible show her character after the de-commitment and now signing with another program after we pick up the #1 player in the nation.

Small blessings.

SoddyVol writes:

"Davis' mother, Kendra, expressed concern..."
I suspect it was more the mother's decision than her daughter's.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

At least she didn't go to an SEC rival or UCONN..GBO!!

VolinBufordGA writes:

May not be a huge loss. She is a great player, but can be lazy. Mom is somewhat of a drama case. We got the real gem from Buford in Andraya Carter!! I hope Martin can coach brother AJ up because he can be lazy too, but he has untapped potential. This is coming from someone that sees both of them play regularly.

tovolny writes:

Maybe she feels inferior to the other players already committed. Maybe she lacks the self confidence to compete at the top level. Everybody is different, so she probably has some good reasons to go somewhere else.

By the way, does anybody know how U Conn is doing with their recruiting? KNS only reports controversial stuff. Rarely do we get an article by KNS that relates general information concerning women's basketball. I usually have to go on line and search for other sources. The Atlanta Journal, Columbus Dispatch, and the Charlotte, NC paper have good coverage about women's basketball.

reg_mza#219136 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Heh, more like, oh well, at least she'll be going against UConn. Gino's problem now that he is in the ACC and will have to play her twice a year. That being said, G-Tech is typically pretty talented but never to the level of the number 2 recruit in the nation so it will be interesting to see what kind of damage they do with the supporting cast around her in the ACC.

I do not believe she had any intention of going to UT as well and was waiting to see what the #1 was going to do before making her final decision, for whatever reason.

I strongly feel that a lot of top recruits will start to see where the fit in now and whether they want to team up with someone of prominence, stay close to home, or try to be "the" player on a team without one.

movol53 writes:

in response to tovolny:

Hey tovolny go to http://girlshoops.scout.com/ to find info about any women's team recruiting.

Theo writes:

Would love to see Kaela in Orange but hope she will be happy in Atlanta and wish her well. Have to say for me, however, it is a bit of a head scratcher. Not that she didn't pick UT, I think too much water under that bridge after the de-commitment but Georgia Tech. Oh well, can't get them all. Good luck girl!

Katphan29 writes:

Its women hoops, no one cares

ACWLY writes:

I care, GT better care also as Davis will probably change her mind again, or at least her mother may.

butch31 writes:

Good for her, I'm glad she decided to stop wasting UT Lady Vols time...BYE

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Good for her. GT is a good school. Now let's reel in Scaife, Jordan Reynolds, and Kendall

VOLinATL writes:

GTech is a heck of a school, and has gotten pretty good with their women's hoops team.

VOLinATL writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Front page?? It's a website....there are no back pages. Every link is on the "front page".

Go back to spreading unfounded Gruden rumors.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Its women hoops, no one cares

Hey kittyphan, you must care or you wouldn't post on this site. Whan an idiot you must be.

Einstein writes:

Big mistake Kaela. You could have been part of something big at Tennessee with Mercedes and Jannah coming in. At least you will play more minutes at Ga Tech and of course lose more games.

madrigal writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

If you don't like women's basketball or care about the Lady Vols, why don't you just quit reading the articles and keep your sorry comments to yourself?

in response to Katphan29:

Its women hoops, no one cares

Somehow, that is not the kind of comment I would have expected from you. Weren't you one of the ones on here who went on and on about how the UK women were about to steal the LVs' crown? Maybe not, but if you don't care about women's basketball, then stay off the site. Don't you have enough other future pros up there to worship?

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Seems like there are at least a couple dozen football articles currently on file. Why don't you go talk nonsense on some them instead of trying to rile up folks on one of the few LV articles up these days? Ever heard the phrase, "To each their own"? Lady Vol basketball is "ours"; no one is stopping you from indulging in yours. You just seem to like being a putz.

in response to ACWLY:

Maybe since her son signed with UT, Mom wants to keep her daughter closer to home. Don't they live in the Atlanta area somewhere?

KCHS63 writes:

It was her mother's decision, not hers. Kaela has loved the Lady Vols all her life and her mother has hated the program since she wasn't allowed to dictate who should be recruited to play with her daughter. I love Kaela, I love our newest Vol, A.J. Davis, and I'm a huge fan of their father, the great Antonio Davis. Kendra on the other hand wins the Tim Couch, Sr. Award for making your child's life and choices ALL ABOUT YOU. If Miss Kendra shows up at the men's senior night in four years, I WON'T be there!

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

I thought Miss Davis was all about playing in CPS's honor?? But I agree with other posters on here that this was probably more her mom's decision than her's...Anyhow, we should have more than enough talent to compete with UCONN, even without Davis. I sure hope we can get Cooper and Scaife though..Cooper is the 2nd rated post for 2013, right behind Russell..

VolinBufordGA writes:

The mom is quite crazy. I've seen her yell at the high school coach from the stands during a game to put Kayla in the game, even when the game was in hand. Drama Galore. Kayla was best friends with Andraya from Buford. I'm very surprised she's not a Vol and highly suspect it comes down to what MOM wanted. Maybe I'll get a video of the mom this season and post it...you'll see what I'm talking about. Kayla is used to winning, so this choice is interesting. What's funny is the lady Vols will be playing the jackets in a few days. I'll be there to watch Andreya, and I bet Kayla will be there too.

volboy81 writes:

would have been cool to have had a brother-sister combo on the hardwood in Knoxville. Better she go to GT than GA!

tnqball writes:

We should have a multitude of Lady Vol fans in the stands for the GA Tech game and let Kaela know what she will be missing with all the fan support. Plus, I would bet that we would out number their fans. Remember it is just a verbal. She could still change her mind, or in this case, her mom may change her mind. So Let's show Kaela some love while we are there!

BxVol writes:

I wish Kaela the best but disappointed she will not be playing for the Lady Vols.I don`t know her reason for her choice but it is her`s and it is to be respected.Yes I`am a Tennessee grad, and knowing what I know if I had to choose, the Lady Vols for many reasons would easily be the top choice.The game at Ga. Tech will probably have more Tennessee fans in the stands than Tech fans. According to NCAA stats through 4/3/12 of last season the Lady Vols by far were #1 in home attendance at 14414 per game vs Tech at 1056.I mentioned that because we love our Lady Vols!

Theo writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Its women hoops, no one cares

Hope VACATE is on your spelling list this week. Oh Indiana, Oh Indiana, we're all for you IU!!!!!!

ModelMaker writes:

She might have wanted to stay close to home; then again she might not have wanted to compete with Tucker; I believe they are both shooting guards. She commited to Georgia Tech right after Tucker decided to come to Tennessee. If the later is the case we may not be anything out. Looks to me like Tucker is darn good.