Piling up points: Tennessee offense working to put even more points on the board

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/news sentinel

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, ©KNS/2011

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/news sentinel Tennessee tight end Mychal Rivera carries the ball against Georgia on Oct. 8 in Athens, Ga.

KNOXVILLE — The goal is a very basic one for Tennessee's offense.

The Volunteers want to score points every time they touch the ball.

It's an impossible standard to reach, but the Vols aim for it anyway.

"Our job is to go score points," offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said Wednesday morning after Tennessee's practice, "and when we don't, you get frustrated."

The Vols probably get frustrated, too, when they score 31 or more points in three Southeastern Conference road games and win none of them. Tennessee is third in the SEC in scoring and fourth in yards, and it's not difficult to envision more than half the starting lineup playing at the next level. Yet when the other side of the ball is the worst in the SEC and surrendering 42 points and more than 522 yard per game to SEC teams, the Vols' offense probably feels like it has to score each and every time it takes the field.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Answer to Sal's defense, offense needs to score more points. Lots more points. Makes sense to me.

GBO Wait Till Next Year

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

I can agree with your first statement, but the jab at Hart? He's barely been here a year and you're calling for his head? Why??? Because he sees the bigger picture and doesn't believe in pulling the trigger on Dooley in mid-season? Lighten up....geez, the time will come.

JDX47 writes:

Sounds reasonable. But, what if we don't score everytime we get the ball or only score three? Then, we are screwed as our opponents seem to score touchdowns at will. I think the rational solution might be to have a better defense!

Now, we could stop the hurry up offense which would keep our defense off the field longer. We wouldn't likely win any more than we have, but the total points scored against us would go down and allow for more moral victories.

JDX47 writes:

If you calculate our success this year on moral victories, we are like 6 - 2 or even 7 - 1 if you count 3 quarters of Florida game.

LovinMyVols writes:

"1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes."

Very simple...very concise...very accurate.

It takes a team to win...not just an offense.

JDX47 writes:

in response to LovinMyVols:

"1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes."

Very simple...very concise...very accurate.

It takes a team to win...not just an offense.

Sounds great. I would say that almost all coaches would aspouse the same principles or some similar. The big difference I find is some coaches do all the things necessary to get their teams to actually perform to these and others merely aspouse them and do a poor job of doing the things necessary to instill these in their kids.

Looks good on paper, but takes a lot of leadership and effort to make them a reality. I'm afraid these coaches don't have what it takes to instill these in the boys.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Quite frankly I don't think Hart is listening to anybody on this site. And....I stand by my predictions for the last 4 games:

4-0 - 1 more yr
3-1 - (I've revised here) Depending on that loss, Troy, Mizzou or Vandy - Probably out
2-2 or worse - Toast

I still believe this to be the case. Hart's silence in all of this is deafening.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to JDX47:

I disagree with your very last statement. I think the Offense has totally bought into these AND I think the coaches on that side of the ball are some of the best.

Ironcity writes:

Just think how many points and yards they could pile up if they could play our defense like everyone else does.

LovinMyVols writes:

in response to JDX47:

I agree. I love my Vols, don't think Dooley is horrible, but I do think that this job is to much for him. Based on what I have seen, he doesn't have the ability to accomplish what we need to do at Tennessee. No real knock on him...he is fairly young and inexperienced. He was thrown into a situation that would have been challenging to even a great coach. However, in watching the games in person...seeing how the team is preparred, the decisions being made, the attitude and enthusiasm of the players, etc.. I don't believe anymore that Dooley is the guy. At some point in this season, the team has failed on every maxim. This is coaching folks. Maybe in another 4 or 5 years Dooley will be a top coach (and maybe not too), but at this point, I don't think he is the guy anymore.

JDX47 writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

Maybe the offense is OK at number 3, but 1 and 2? I don't think so. Let's see 2 ints and a fumble when opportunity came against Georgia. Comedy of challenges with Florida in 2nd half. And fumble away a chance to win or tie with SC. The rest of the principles are more relevant to special teams and defense and no one wants to get into that argument.

Colts_VolFan writes:

Sigh. Is there anyone left in Viol Nation that doesn't know that the defense is costing the team wins? Maybe the next article will be about the uniforms being orange or the fact that Smokey is a dog.

Colts_VolFan writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

This just in. Smokey can lick his own balls. Film at 11:00.

LovinMyVols writes:

in response to JDX47:

I do think thay have done well most games with #3. The Alabama game was a big fail though. I guess I am old school. The Bama game is the most important of the year to me. It IS Southern Football. There is no substitute for winning this game to me. I remember the days when all the Stop signs on campus said STOP BAMA. For a Tennessee team to fail at #3 and #7 against Alabama is inexcusable. We have talented players...I can't imagine if they were prepared for the meaning of this game that they would not have busted a gut to compete for 60 minutes and would have put on more steam at every Bama success.

UTKin1992 writes:

Piling up MORE points? Hmm. That sounds like a GREAT idea!!!!

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

4-0 - 1 more yr
2-2 or worse - Toast

Hart is smarter than Hamilton. I would say the decision has already been made. I would suspect potential coaches are being contacted, and if he gets acceptance, Dooley is done no matter what happens against November "patsies". If he cannot get a coach to accept, he will keep Dooley. Get the hire right, recruiting classes will improve and next year could be better than you think

Cousin_Eddie writes:

Teach CP how to run a route, and we're unstoppable.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

We're a good defense away from being a powerhouse. We're close. Closer than a lot on here think.

jobrando#216494 writes:

If Hart is not in line with the money folks he should be packing.

StoneJackBaller writes:

I'm not a coach, but even this is clear to me. How could we potentially win a game? What is beating us? The answer is to keep our defense off the field. So, why not abandon the hurry up offense??? We still run the hurry up, I guess so the other team can abuse our defense. Makes sense to me to slow it down, work the clock, have a huddle and keep our offense (strength) on the field, and our defense (weakness) off the field. Am I missing something here?

UTVOL2001 writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

4-0 - 1 more yr
2-2 or worse - Toast

Hart is silent because the decision has been made. I believe he is making a very wise choice by being silent. Some fans do not like his silence, however it is best. Just know that he is not sitting on his hands. Lets stand behind our team and go 4-0 and win that bowl game. Dont care who we play or where. Just win! Go Vols!

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

"The goal is a very basic one for Tennessee's offense. The Volunteers want to score points every time they touch the ball".

With Sunsorri's defense, the O has to score every time they have the ball. Heck, they need to score during timeouts and half-time just to keep up.

govolsn3 writes:

Note to the editor. The picture in this article is not in ATHENS GA... Hint the brick walls and all the orange in the stands...And we are supposed to take these articles seriously...GO VOLS>>>VFL

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to UTVOL2001:

I think maybe not. Bassillo says Cheek wants him to have one more year. Bassillo has been adamant till now. I assume he got to win 3 of the last four. Since Vandy will be favored that will be ok. I think we have a new generation of VOL fans that find mediocracy to be accepatble.

OrangeRebel writes:

People forget than when Kiffin left we were all shell shocked. At the time we were just praying we could get a coach that would stay. Now that he has stayed you want his head. There is not a person on this board that would still be working at their job if the demands on them were as strict as the ones you have put on Dooley. I guess it is just easier to blame than to give a person his due time. ESPN thanks Saban is a god. He has had a lot of cheating overlooked because of this. (T Town, The Escalade Trent Richardson had, and the list goes on and on.) If I had been Les Miles last year i would have not took my team to the SEC Championship Game because it still would have been LSU and Alabama. That would have sent a message to ESPN that they don't run the show. We could cheat like Alabama and be No.1 also. Is that what you want. If Dooley pulls this out playing fair he is alot better coach than Saban.

GerryOP writes:

Only whiny naysaying negaVols find mediocracy to be acceptable.

pcshowtime writes:

I cheeks and co keep dooley I am done. Get ready to hang the black curtain around part of neyland to hide the empty seats.

6972 writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

This just in. Smokey can lick his own balls. Film at 11:00.

LMBO.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Not true at all. Just as "progressive" doesn't always meaning moving in a positive direction, change isn't always for the better. I'll bet there are plenty here who've seen enough reorganization and change in the BS business world to attest to that fact.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

And unless you are thinking of some new social order run by the media, I think the word you are looking for is "mediocrity".

pcshowtime writes:

Giving dooley another year does not save money.

I do not know if he should have been let go last year December 2011 but we would have saved money. His buy out went from 6 to 5 mil last Feb. 15 2012. Ok you saved a 1 million. However, coaches leave you get new buyout contracts. $1.7 mil for Sal Sunseri, $425'000.00 Charlie Begget hush money for being forced out for Dereck Rogers and Dereck Dooley. That is a total of $2'125'000.00. I bet you thought I was going to talk about lost ticket sales didn't you. You guys think I making this Sh@T up. Here is the link look for yourself.

Ex-UT coach Charlie Baggett to receive $425,000, per settlement agreement
Buyout pays WR coach as if he were fired

Basically Coach Charlie Begget Told Dooley it was either Him or drug head WR Darick Rogers. Dooley chose Darick rogers. We all know how that keeping darick rogers worked out.

There you go DFL Dooley for Life Fans. There is your great good stand up guy. If you think he wont throw people under the bus you have another thing coming He is a Deceiver.

This athletic Dept will continue to hemorrhage money with Dooley as head coach of football.

GerryOP writes:

in response to voodoo101:

I suggest that mediocracy fits the whiny, naysaying negaVols:

1) Rule by those who are of average or below average competence.

2) A society in which people with little (if any) talent and skill are dominant and highly influential.

3) A social or administrative system which is like an antithesis to a meritocracy.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I suggest that mediocracy fits the whiny, naysaying negaVols:

1) Rule by those who are of average or below average competence.

Number 2 certainly seems to fit the world of Adams, Climer, and a lot of the other media as long as "highly influential" and "over exposed" are considered synonymous.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

That should make it entertaining, don't ya think?

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

This just in. Smokey can lick his own balls. Film at 11:00.

Too many on here are too engulfed in their hatred of the "other side" to laugh. I on the other hand, laughed enough for two.

atlvol81 writes:

This article only shows the mentality of the coaching staff.Remember,Dooley stated his focus was on offense and special teams.Defense wins games and championships.The remaining games will tell about the coaching change,also the comments that Dooley is making only sheds more light on a coaching change is coming.

GerryOP writes:

in response to atlvol81:

Just curious, what comments Dooley has made?

voodoo101 writes:

in response to atlvol81:

Since Dooley clearly has more playing and coaching experience on the offensive side of things does that surprise you. Perhaps Hammy and his enablers got that part wrong, too? I'll defend Dooley on deferring to someone else for defense, but I absolutely agree with you that the defense is what wins games - even in spite of the fact that the highest score always wins.

SCVOL90 writes:

The offense has been turned around. I remember when Fulmer was here and we were only scoring 21 to 28 points on the cupcake teams and I was VERY frustrated with that even though we won. Now we score in the 30's on everyone except #1 Alabama and #7 Florida. If we can get the defense to only give up 8 less points per game, then we are 5-3 at this point with a chance to be 10-3. We're not that far away....

Btownvol writes:

It all comes down to coaching. Why isn't Dooley in Hunter's grill everytime he lays down when he does catch the ball? In the NFL it's all about yards after the catch....not fainting goat syndrome.

GerryOP writes:

Don't forget, a year ago all of these same "experts" were whining and complaining about the running game. "Oh, woe, is me. Without a running game.... disaster for sure." Dooley fixed it. This year we have a running game. Really, a pretty decent running game! Doooley fixed it!

This year it's the defense. Sucks, really sucks. The end of the world is coming. So ... how about letting Dooley fix it?

I still wonder. How much did Hart influence the selection of Sunseri as DC? I wonder... Maybe Kevin Steele?

GerryOP writes:

in response to SCVOL90:

Nope, not that far away at all. Keep the faith loyal Vol brothers ... keep the faith. Because that's what fans do!

notorange writes:

Hmmmmm the Sal Sun no mas defense....whoda thunk it!

TooDlems writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

You hit the nail on the head. That hurry up offense may help every now and then, but it only wears out your defense. Especially when you are playing a defense like Alabama. Slow the game down and burn the clock. Alabama could have put their scout team defense on th field and left them all night and it would have been the same outcome.

alavol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I suggest that mediocracy fits the whiny, naysaying negaVols:

1) Rule by those who are of average or below average competence.

the word is mediocrity. just google it!

ACWLY writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

GBO Wait Till Next Year

They should have let you write the article, you make A LOT more sense.

GerryOP writes:

in response to alavol:

the word is mediocrity. just google it!

I didn't pick the word, voodoo100 did. I was only showing that the word fit!

Sorry you were late to the party, but in voodoo100's case, mediocracy fits. Average or below average competence, little (if any) talent and skill, and the antithesis of meritocracy. It also fits for many other naysaying negaVols on here.

Be well...

thevoice writes:

in response to LifetimeVolFan98:

4-0 - 1 more yr
2-2 or worse - Toast

Dooley's not getting paid to win against these last 4 opponents. Aren't we expected to beat them anyway? Why would Dooley's future be determined by beating the teams he's supposed to beat? It's the ones that matter, that matter.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Sounds like an article for Vanderbilt. Sickening.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to LovinMyVols:

"1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes."

Very simple...very concise...very accurate.

It takes a team to win...not just an offense.

It also takes players.3 or 4 4 star players and 11th in conference recruiting will not win many ball games.Even Vandy is out recruiting us.That is not suposed to happen.I believe Dooley is a pretty good coach.He just dosen't have enough talent to coach.

You don't have Tennessee to kick around any more.