Oregon guard Jordan Reynolds picks Lady Vols

Jordan Reynolds

Jordan Reynolds

Tennessee has found another future women’s basketball player in the state of Oregon.

Jordan Reynolds, a 5-foot-10 guard from Portland, Ore., committed to the Lady Vols on Friday night. Reynolds was considering Louisville and Ohio State, as well as UT. She’s ranked No. 42 in the Class of 2013 by ESPN HoopGurlz.

Reynolds’ decision came three days after center Mercedes Russell of Springfield (Ore.) High, committed to Tennessee. Russell is the No, 1 ranked player in the class. Reynolds and Russell have been AAU teammates.

Russell’s reaction via Twitter was “that jus made my day!”

James indicated that Russell’s choice wasn’t the determining factor in her daughter’s decision.

“While you think it might be a landslide, she was still heavily weighing her options,” James said.

James encouraged her daughter to list the pros and cons of the schools she considered on a poster board. Tennessee fared well.

After transferring from Jefferson High to Portland Central Catholic, Reynolds became the state Class 6A player of the year. She helped lead her new team to the state semifinals, averaging 18.3 points, 7.5 rebounds 5 assists and 4.9 steals per game.

Springfield coach Bill Wagner is familiar with Reynolds and described her as “incredibly talented.”

James said that her rapport with Tennessee first-year coach Holly Warlick and her coaching staff addressed one of her biggest concerns.

“I had to be comfortable with the history of the school, the integrity of the program and the staff,” James said.

Tennessee now has three players committed for its signing class. The third is 6-0 wing Jannah Tucker of Randallstown, Md., who’s ranked No. 8 in the class. She reaffirmed her commitment last Saturday.

The early signing period begins Nov. 14. James said that Reynolds will be signing on Nov. 16.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

sea1109 writes:

Fantastic! I'm seeing great things from this class. GBO!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Google the Oregonian newspaper and you will find a nice article about Jordan. She appears to be a lot better than #42.

orange_eVOLution writes:

Lady Vols are getting it done in recruiting!

GO VOLS!!

manniesghost1903 writes:

Looks like the Lady Vols basketball program and the Basketball Vols of Coach Martin are going to have to pick up the "slack" for an otherwise failing athletic department. You Go Coach Holly and Coach C.

tovolny writes:

Wonder what Climer thinks now. Russel, now Reynolds. Climer tried his best to destroy Holly as a recruiter. Somebody tell me what he says, because I am not going to read his trash any more.

Way to go young ladies, we are glad to have you at UT.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to tovolny:

Way to go young ladies, we are glad to have you at UT.

You mean, "Clueless Climer" ?

Go Holly! Welcome, new LADY VOLS!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

alright! Go LVs

PureOrange writes:

Way to go Holly, and staff. Great job.

Welcome to Rocky Top, Jordan. Right choice!

movol53 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Many of us care!!!!

Perhaps you need to move along; you sexist.

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Really stupid comment

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

I'll stop when you stop.

VictorKruger writes:

Trolls should simply be ignored, and now there's a free browser extension for Firefox and Chrome that blocks trolls on govolsxtra.com and knoxnews.com.

Firefox users need to install the Greasemonkey extension first:

Chrome users need to install the Tampermonkey extension first:

The GVX/KnoxNews Troll Comment Blocker browser extension is installed from:

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

I'll stop when you stop.

If this works, the first round is on me. Bye, bye jeffy. Bye, bye handicappedvandyfan.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

dude......your posting on the wrong site.....your looking for the Bama site. easy mistake. take care......buh bye. BonzaiVol

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Hey sourmilk. So no one cares about women's basketball do they. Explain why the Lady Vols have the largest average of attendance and when on the road they draw the opponets biggest crowd. Do youself and all who follow women's basketball a favor and go outside and play in the traffic.

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Are you just clueless??? GO LADY VOLS!!!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Great news! This was a great week for the lady Vols! Let's go out and get Scaife and Kendall and sweep the #1 recruiting ranking for 2013. Do we have UNC on the schedule for next year too? Wow that will be a awesome matchup between top recruits.

ps11824 writes:

[[[ “It really came down to her heart strings and where they were being tugged,” said Kimberly James, Reynolds’ mother. “Everything kept coming back to Tennessee.”

“After every school visit, in-home visit, official visit, Tennessee kept rising to the top,” James said. ]]]

I love that. She REALLY deserves to wear ORANGE!
I'm so happy to welcome this young lady to Knoxville.

Do you think Lady Vols are awesome. Yes, I think they are!!!!!!

jopad writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

What people who read the KNS really don't care about is YOU!

VOLinMAHWAH writes:

Didn't I hear someone say once that Holly Warlick couldn't recruit? Not seeing it!! Pretty good haul in one week!!

RockVegas writes:

It's almost BASKETBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE...LOL.I'm sorry everyone,I had to do that...GBO.

Theo writes:

Fabulous news! This class may end up being one of our best ever. Quick notes on Jordan, slashing guard, quick first step, floor general, great athleticism.
What a job the coaches are doing; Center, Wing and Guard. Beautiful distribution with absolutely top quality at every position.
Regarding Climer - best to ignore. I'm shocked he even wrote about the Lady Vols. If it is not the titans or the predators they aren't covered in the tennessean. All of the sports writers/broadcasters now think they are big league because Nashville got pro sports. Trust me none of them would be hired into a big league city. Climer et al were just in the right place at the right time. At least we don't have Biddle anymore.
Ugh, enough of that.
Great day, great recruiting season for my favorite team. Welcome Jannah, Mercedes and Jordan! Along with the sophs/fresh the future is so bright for the Lady Vols it makes my eyes hurt!

formervol1950s writes:

in response to Theo:

Ugh, enough of that.

Theo...you nailed it . Excellent post !

madrigal writes:

The recruiting news of the week has been GREAT! This year's edition of the Lady Vols may see some bumps at first, being largely young and smaller than usual, but I think they'll have a much better season than the so-called "pundits" expect, and I see nothing but continuing greatness for the future.

As for carbonated milk, he's nothing but a sour, sorry troll. Don't encourage him by arguing with him. He'll manage to get himself booted before too long.

utvolz#637682 writes:

Jordan, welcome to the Big Orange Nation. We welcome you to God's Country and a fanbase that will support you in every tasking you take!

movinonup writes:

Welcome Jordan to the Lady Vols ! Rest assured we do care - can't wait to see you on the court !!!
Keep em coming Holly - Love it - great week !

rickangstadt#239402 writes:

OMG!! Final Four is in Tampa in 2015. Can't wait cause I live in Tampa. Of course, will be in Gainesville 1/13/13. to cheer for our longtime favorite team.

Remember 2008 in Tampa :-)

SummittsCourt writes:

Can't wait until tipoff! Let's go Lady Vols!

ModelMaker writes:

Reynolds could be a real sleeper. She was ranked #42 but her first two years she mainly passed the ball off setting up her teammates. Last year was the first year that she shot the ball and she shot it real well. She is just now coming into her own. I understand her and Russell work well together. Chemistry is very important.

ButlerGuy writes:

Great Job Holly and the Lady Vol staff. Keep working on K. Davis. Her heart was once all Lady Vols. I know you can get her with the right effort. We let Maya Moore get out of this region. K. Davis is that kind of player. Bring her home Holly. Congratulation on a great start to your career as Lady Vol leader.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to ButlerGuy:

Wishful thinking about K. Davis but I believe she is going to stay in state with GaTech. I don't believe she was a gamechanger as Maya Moore was in HS and still is. She plays more of a supportive role on her team but can dominate her position. The star from Ga went to UNC.
Scout report: Tyler Scaife tweeted that she will decide her school on Nov.16th. GBO!

Volinflan writes:

Hoopgurlz updated their Top 100 list showing the latest comittments. Not many left. Scaife is the highest ranked left. What is the deal with Cooper? She visited UT but I haven't heard much since. I sure would like to see the LVs sign another forward/post.

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to Volinflan:

Sure would love to see Ms. Cooper be a Lady Vol. She would look good in orange & white.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to DroopyDrawers:

If you've ever seen a picture of Kendall Cooper you would swear she was Vicky Baugh's younger sister.

whatthe84 writes:

This is more proof that the lady vols are on the down his slide. Considering Ohio State and Louisville...are you kidding me. Since when did OSU and Louisville become great womens basketball powers? All the big time players are not looking at the vols and our day in the sun has come and gone, it was fun but it is done. I had to shake my head when I read some of the comments from mindless fans looking at everything through orange colored glasses. All these positive posts, watch the once packed Thompson Boling start to echo because of the sparse crowds that losing brings.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

Keeping up with sports on this site is way harder than it should be. This page shows two Lady Vols commits, but aren't there three? Why doesn't it say if there are two or three?