Lady Vols' exhibition turns into a one-sided track meet, 118-44

Exhibition turns into one-sided track meet

Coker's Hailey Yohn (22) defends Tennessee's Taber Spani (13) during the second half of a preseason NCAA college basketball game on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012, in Knoxville, Tenn. Tennessee won 118-44. (AP Photo/Lisa Norman-Hudson)

Photo by Lisa Norman-Hudson

Lisa Norman-Hudson/Associated Press

Photo by Lisa Norman-Hudson

Lisa Norman-Hudson/Associated Press Tennessee's Bashaara Graves, left, drives to the basket against Coker's Heidrun Kristmundsdottir, center, and Kelley Godbout during Sunday's game at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Lisa Norman-Hudson/Associated Press

Photo by Lisa Norman-Hudson

Lisa Norman-Hudson/Associated Press Tennessee's Bashaara Graves, left, drives to the basket against Coker defender Kelly Godbout on Sunday at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Exhibition turns into one-sided track meet

By Dan Fleser

fleserd@knoxnews.com

Although the regular season now stretches out before Tennessee like a four-month marathon, the Lady Vols show no inclination to pace themselves.

They literally raced through their final women's basketball exhibition, thrashing Coker College 118-44 Sunday afternoon before a listed crowd of 10,137 at Thompson-Boling Arena. The 32 fast-break points the Lady Vols were credited with didn't do justice to their play. The 84 points scored from the foul-lane area and 51 points scored off turnovers framed a more complete picture of their sprinter's mentality.

Sophomore forward Cierra Burdick thumbed through her memories back to her USA Basketball playing days and a U17 game against Japan to recall a game with a comparable pace.

"It got to the point (against Japan) that I was so tired that I looked over and said to Ariel (Massengale), can we please slow down," Burdick said, "let me get to halfcourt before we shoot another layup because it was that fast.

"(Sunday's) game was extremely high tempo but that is what Holly wants."

First-year head coach Holly Warlick realizes that playing this way in Friday night's season opener at Chattanooga, not to mention thereafter, will be a bigger challenge. But her team's marching orders won't change.

"Now, we've got to continue to get in shape and stay in shape ,'' Warlick said. "I don't think we're there yet, but we're getting there. But I think this group loves to play up-tempo. I want to try to take advantage of that."

The advantages against overmatched Coker were many. Six players scored in double figures, led by Bashaara Graves' 22 points. Meighan Simmons scored 20 and Isabelle Harrison had 17 in 15 playing minutes.

The Lady Vols had 28 assists, 23 steals and a 54-25 rebounding advantage. Along with her points, Simmons had nine rebounds, seven assists and four steals. The Lady Vols also cleaned up the foul problems that plagued them Thursday against Carson-Newman. They were charged with just nine.

Coker coach Jenny Finora has a Tennessee frame of reference, having played against the Lady Vols as a player at Kentucky. She scoring the decisive free throws of a 66-63 upset victory on Jan. 26, 2006. Finora didn't think that this UT version, despite its relative inexperience, looked different than the teams she faced.

"They're long; they're athletic, quick, aggressive," she said. "That's Tennessee basketball. It's always been that way, and it's never going to waver at all from that."

Coker gave Tennessee some cause for pause in the first half in the person of point guard Heidrun Kristmundsdottir. The 5-foot-7 sophomore from Fludir, Iceland, described by Finora as "kind of the backbone of our team," had the wherewithal to attack UT's pressure. She initiated the ball movement that maximized the Cobras' player spacing. The result was eight 3-pointers in the first half.

Kristmundsdottir went out with a left-arm injury with 14:49 left, leaving the Cobras with no answer for UT's defense.

In the end, all nine Lady Vols played at least 14 minutes. Warlick expects to have point guard Massengale back for Friday night. She sat out Sunday's game to rest a case of tendinitis in her left Achilles' tendon. The status of fellow guard Jasmine Phillips (left quadriceps pull) is uncertain.

"I think Ariel will be there for the opener,'' Warlick said. "She could have gone today. I just want to make sure that we aren't doing anything that could make it worse."

When Massengale returns, she'll hit the court running with the rest of her teammates.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

butch31 writes:

We definitely need to start off with the veterans in the line up LOL...giving up 30 points in the 1st half is a bit much. We have a talented team, but we are young. I wouldn't shake this line up again unless we have injuries.

SummittsCourt writes:

I know it was Coker and I know it was an exhibition game, but this team feels like they might do something special this year.

Let's get this season started!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to butch31:

I'm sure Coach Warlick appreciates your Monday morning coaching. In fact, why don't you give her a call and let her know what you think, that way she doesn't have watch any tape or hold any practices because you have it all figured out.

ps11824 writes:

Maybe WE, the fans, could begin today being cordial to each other on this site. Somehow we need to band together as real Lady Vols fans, get behind our team and ignore any comment that remotely resembles anything other than complete support of our Lady Vols.

I know it is difficult to not fire back by instinct. Not unlike a mother bear defending her cubs ; ) As much as I want not to, I retaliate at times. I'm asking my fellow Lady Vols poster-friends to gently remind me when I do.

The exibitions are one thing; the real season starts Friday with Wes Moore's Lady Mocs as our challenge. By listening to the games on Sports Animal, I cannot get a realistic feel for the (new) Lady Vols, but I surely am excited.

I like the up-tempo style which requires the players to be in tip-top condition. Get serious about toughness, Lady Vols, and take care of the merchandise. Nutrition, rest, mental toughness is a must.

vettefool writes:

we've got to do a better job of contesting the 3pt shots. watched for years and always wondered why. we have lost some games due to this lapse in defense.

Volinflan writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

butch31 I caught your LOL...there ain't many veterans but there's a couple of future stars in that freshman group. This will be a fun week to see if we can predict the starting lineup. Burdick and Simmons are in. Massengale would be except we don't know about the injury and she hasn't played in the exhibitions and Carter look's great (lots of freshmen do against exhibition teams). I wouldn't be surprised to see nine players log 20 minutes or more.

KennyGVolsFan writes:

My starting line-up / substitution

PG - Carter / Massengale
G - Simmons / Spani
G - Williams /Jones / Phillips
P - Harrison / Burdick
P - Graves / Moore

I would make full subs like UK did last year, every 5 minutes. I think we have the players and athleticism at each position. If we keep throwing players at teams, we will eventually tire them out!!! Once we tire them down real good, we put in our best offensive line-up and fire away!!!

I am no coach, nor am I trying to tell Coach Warlick what to do. This is my opinion!!

These ladies looked really good in the openers, now lets see what they look like in a true game, although, I don't expect much from Chattanooga. It will, however, be a good test!!

Go Lady Vols!!!

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

in response to ps11824:

You're going to be in for a treat the first time you get to see them play. Mickey Dearstone is my favorite radio announcer, but it's hard to capture just how hard and fast they played in these two exhibition games. This could be one of the most fun teams to watch the Lady Vols have ever had.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Scout update: Tyler Scaife tweeted that she will choose her school on the 16th. Go lady Vols! She's a baller.

Theo writes:

in response to KennyGVolsFan:

My starting line-up / substitution

PG - Carter / Massengale
G - Simmons / Spani
G - Williams /Jones / Phillips
P - Harrison / Burdick
P - Graves / Moore

Go Lady Vols!!!

Hmm - my 2 cents - and trust me that is about all their worth is that I would go two guards, and three front court. I just think you have to have Burdick in there. For a team that doesn't have many upperclassmen she seems to be a real emerging leader.
With Harrison and Graves I don't think you give up much quickness by going three "longs". I guess they don't use the term "bigs" anymore.
Anyway, really excited about this team.
Go Lady Vols!

Can anyone help a sister out here?

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

in response to Theo:

Anyway, really excited about this team.
Go Lady Vols!

Can anyone help a sister out here?

This site will put up a link live video for any game that's not being televised anywhere and they will also have live audio for all of the games.

ps11824 writes:

So, LadyVolsFan789, are you telling me this team is more fun to watch than the 3-Meek era team? If that's the case, I may have to make an effort to see them somewhere.

By the way, don't feel embarrassed about asking for help. You are among friends here, hopefully.

Volinflan writes:

"OK, I'm embarrassed to ask this but I don't know how to watch the Lady Vols games on the computer. I actually don't know how to listen to them on the computer either but that seems even more pathetic. I'm currently dependent upon a 2" X 3" radio that I got free from subscribing to Time. The static on the AM channel is so bad I only pick up about 75% of the broadcast.
Can anyone help a sister out here?"

I usually go to the UTLady Vols site, (Google) click on the right side of the screen on schedule and then pick the game in question. It will show whether you can watch or listen on Gametracker. Double click and enjoy. Unfortunatey it doesn't show that the first five games are on "Watch". The exhibition games were and several of the games were last year. If the Friday night game (UTC) was on TV I would probably have stayed home, but failing, just bought 4 tickets to watch the game at McKenzie, my first ever in person game. Shameful since I've been a Summitt fan since the Olympic games when she was Pat Head.

Someone will tell us how to use UTSports TV to watch the non televised games. I ain't ashamed though, just technically illiterate.

Volinflan writes:

in response to KennyGVolsFan:

My starting line-up / substitution

PG - Carter / Massengale
G - Simmons / Spani
G - Williams /Jones / Phillips
P - Harrison / Burdick
P - Graves / Moore

Go Lady Vols!!!

I like your strategy, I like it. Run their legs off. Of course we may be 50 points behind by the time their legs fall off, but one point or fifty, whats the difference. I loved watching them run. They looked fast.

"I think we have the players and athleticism at each position" I agree but I wish we had a couple more players. Start throwing our eleven at their 15 and our legs may fall off.

Volinflan writes:

in response to ps11824:

Geez Reax you're not asking for much. Is that a "Three-Meek" or a "Three-peat" we dream about.

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

in response to ps11824:

To be honest, the 3-Meek team was a bit before my time. I'm only 22.

Theo writes:

in response to ladyvolsfan789:

Thanks so much for the info. I'm glad we have 22 year olds on here to help with this stuff. LOL.
Shame you missed the "Meeks" They were a sight to behold. They ran everyone into the ground. Semeka Randall was the PG and she would lead the fast break, go airborne, show the defender the ball with her right hand then switch and lay it up with her left. So much fun! I think if not this year by next year we will be having similar fun.
Thanks again, if you ever want to know how a slide rule works, just ask.

Theo writes:

in response to Volinflan:

Can anyone help a sister out here?"

Thanks for the info. I think I've got a couple of options now. Maybe I can retire my high tech radio:)
Go Lady Vols!

butch31 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I will *OUT COACH* her ant day...Did someone steal ur lace front? LOL

ps11824 writes:

Volinflan, that team was so exciting to watch. I just knew they would win the games, no matter how tough, or how close the game. I recall in 1998, the home game vs. Illinois. Tamika Catchings' sister played on that team coached by Teresa Grinz, an awesome coach... the game turned drastically in first half, Illini going ahead by 19 points, I think...before you could say 'meeks rule' the Meeks took over with Ace Clement & Kelly Jolly running point, and the game was tied. Holy Cow, can you say exciting? I think I ran up and down section 119, row 19 hugging everybody.

And then there was the SEC Tournament in Columbus GA. Semeka Randal put on a show stealing the ball, picking pockets, spinning & twirling her way to the basket. It gave me chills. The crowd LOVED her, & she loved the crowd and performed for the crowd.

So you were 8 years old. You should'a been there ( ; I wish we could have a team like that again.