Lady Vols run over Coker, 118-44

Tennessee finished the exhibition portion of its season in rousing fashion Sunday afternoon.

The Lady Vols literally raced to a 118-44 women's basketball victory over Coker College at Thompson-Boling Arena.

UT's defense fueled a transition derby that went into overdrive after Coker point guard Heidrun Kristmundsdottir went out in the second half with an arm injury.

Bashaara Graves scored a game-high 22 points for Tennessee, which opens its regular season Friday at Chattanooga.

Hailey Yohn scored 15 for Coker.

The one-sided score didn't do justice to some of the problems Coker presented in the first half.

Kristmundsdottir had the quickness and wherewithal to push the ball up the court against UT's pressure. When the Cobras were able to escape the Lady Vols' halfcourt traps, their ball movement and spacing set up their shooters.

The Cobras shot 53.3 percent on 3-pointers (8 for 15) in the first half.

That said, they still went nearly nine minutes without scoring. And running with UT opened the floor for the Lady Vols to score 60 points by halftime.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

So quickness might still be an (we hope) early issue as Lady Vols learn new stuff.....If Coked exposed us then big challenges could be ugly...but this is exhibition where experimentation takes place to evaluate and assess.......

ladyvolsfan789 writes:

Loved the effort and intensity throughout the game. I think the 3 point defense is more inexperience than anything else and it should get better in time. I really liked what I saw offensively. They were aggressive, unselfish and had great ball movement. This team is gonna be fun to watch.

Theo writes:

Glad Coker had the three point success against us today. Gets everyone's attention and provides the coaches with a teaching moment.
Go Lady Vols. Know we'll have our ups and downs with the team's youth but it will be fun to see the growth.

Volinflan writes:

I saw some fun basketball today. Of course it always is when you're playing an exhibition team. But the speed they showed today is much different from the last few years. I mean all the players on last years team were great but some were slow and as a result the team was slow. Today was a totally faster show.

I think I have seen, in the last two exhibition games, that there are some freshmen players that will be hard to keep on the bench. Graves is a brute inside and "Drayer" is a pleasure to watch. She was in control of the game at a level that would have put one, maybe two more banners in TBA. (of course she would have been 14 at the time). JJ and Moore are long and lanky inside. They'll get pushed around a lot when we play the "big girls" but they looked "slick" fast to me.

What a fun group to watch. Thanks for the season to begin.

SoddyVol writes:

We should see a completely different game at Chattanooga. Coach Moore has an improved team over last year. It should be a good early test for the young team. Good success inside against Chatta. will mean more than in the exhibition games.

eVOLved writes:

GBO! I have to say I like the exhibition schedule. I attended CN before UT, and lived in Hartsville, SC, where Coker is for a while.

Volinflan writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

Heh! Faith Depree is the big girl inside for the Mocs. I'm looking forward to seeing her play.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to Volinflan:

Yes, she seems to be in good health and is playing pretty good. She played only 19 min in their game against Lee Univ. but was high scorer with 14.

fearthehound writes:

'Kristmundsdottir', perhaps one of the coolest names I've seen in sports.

butch31 writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

Lady Vols too quick and too big for UT-Chattanooga, Faith will get doubled immediately LOL...that team is slow! Lady Vols win this game...

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to ladyvolsfan789:

The shared the ball very well. Simmons even show she can share.

Go Big Orange