Tennessee, Chievous start with a Victory

Wait finally over for redshirt freshman

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee's Quinton Chievous drives to the basket against Victory during an exhibition game at Thompson-Boling Arena on Monday.

Quinton Chievous watched 19 games at Thompson-Boling Arena last season.

He'd grind through daily Tennessee basketball practices, duel with teammates, work up a sweat. When game time arrived, though, the warm-ups stayed.

Chievous redshirted last year, a decision he was asked to make and ultimately languished over. He thought he was ready to play. He tried to prove it every day.

That lonely season made Monday night all the sweeter. It didn't matter if it was an exhibition against Victory University. He played like it was a league game against Vanderbilt University.

"Running up and down the court, I looked up into the stands one time and saw all the fans and thought, you know, it's finally here," Chievous said after leading the Vols to a 99-57 exhibition win over visiting Victory University.

"All my hard work has finally paid off," he added.

And it produced 15 points, nine rebounds, six assists and three steals Monday night.

Chievous will make his official debut on Friday when Kennesaw State visits Thompson-Boling Arena for the regular-season opener.

Against Victory, the Vols tumbled along in a lackluster first half before outscoring the Eagles 61-31 during the final 20 minutes.

In an exhibition last week at Auburn, Victory trailed by 41 at halftime on its way to a 108-57 loss. Against the Vols, the halftime margin was slightly less daunting.

UT led by just 12, 38-26.

"The one thing we talk about all the time is how do you play when the lights come on," UT coach Cuonzo Martin said. "I thought our guys were a little slow out of the gates. They weren't as aggressive, weren't as assertive."

That quickly changed. Tennessee led 50-31 just three minutes into the second half.

Martin got the most out of his roster in a contest that counted only as game film. All 10 Vols who saw the floor each played more than 10 minutes. Only Chievous played more than 30. All scored at least six points.

Jordan McRae matched Chievous' 15 points, while freshman Armani Moore added 11 and Kenny Hall, starting in place of an injured Jeronne Maymon (knee), scored 10.

Martin said after the game that he "talks about sharing the ball all the time." The message produced 38 field goals on 24 assists.

It started with point guard Trae Golden. The junior, who looks 100 percent following offseason knee surgery, finished with eight assists and no turnovers in 20 minutes.

"He did a great job running the team," Martin said. "And I don't think he passed up any shots, either, so that's a good sign because the one thing I don't want him to do is pass up any shots."

The Vols turned 25 Victory turnovers into 35 points.

Having shifted from his natural guard position to the power forward spot this year, the 6-foot-5 Chievous worked the blocks on the defensive end.

The learning curve is still bending. Midway through the first half, a Victory big man easily bodied him under the basket, turned, scored, and drew a foul.

"He got good position on me and I didn't front and didn't do my job," Chievous said.

He'll have the opportunity to make up for Monday's mistakes in four days.

All the Vols will.

"We start on Friday and there's no turning back," Martin said.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ACWLY writes:

I hated to see Coach Pearl leave and because of that it took a while for me to have any faith in Coach Martin, but actions speak for themselves. I now see a very respectable man at the helm of my team and I look forward to seeing them take another step forward. Can't wait to get started GBO!!!!

jjsteel writes:

in response to WONT_STAY_AROUND_LONG:

You must not know much about this guy. Hide and watch.....and don't make any noise.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

hehe, The Trolls are tired of football I guess and will now enter the basketball zone. They just can't stay under the bridge. "Pretenders" I guess is a nicer name. personally I've learned not to have anything against them because they basically keep this sight going. I DO like reading the articles ...even ones in which I disagree.

Now to the article it's alwasy good to get a pre-season look at the players. Even if we played a local high school. Personally I think we should schedule a few Memphis area high schools for our pre-seasons. Is that an option?? Would the NCAA trounce? Probably.

I love this idea of letting players shoot when open if they play great defense. Notice I said "great".

SneakyPete writes:

Quinton Chievous: Could he be the second coming of Dane Bradshaw?

txvolsfan writes:

in response to WONT_STAY_AROUND_LONG:

There is no East and West this year, think before you post or at least learn about the sport first.
They are picked 4th in the SEC!!!
GO ZO
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

VolGrad writes:

in response to WONT_STAY_AROUND_LONG:

You are clueless and classless. Hope you take a hint from your own moniker.

Go Vols! Beat the Owls!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SneakyPete:

Quinton Chievous: Could he be the second coming of Dane Bradshaw?

I'll take your words as sincere. Bradshaw to me was an awesome player. His heart, desire...what ever you want to call it helped UT win some we might not have otherwise. It's not always talent alone that wins. We'll have to wait and see about Kentucky this year.
Quinton is already proving his worth it seems.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Looks like Martin was right in signing Chievous and others in that class..Chievous looks to be very multipurpose and with Maymon out that's just what we need..Developing Yemi is a big priority..Yemi has got to be more than just a put back scorer this year.

jjsteel writes:

in response to SneakyPete:

Quinton Chievous: Could he be the second coming of Dane Bradshaw?

here's a little tidbit on Quinton.

SneakyPete writes:

in response to jjsteel:

here's a little tidbit on Quinton.

I know about Quinton, his Chicago upbringing, his dad being a pro and Mizzou great. I was trying to make a point about him being undersize for his position. Something about the move brought back memories of another derringer who wore the orange. Itty bitty pistols kill too.

SneakyPete writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Quinton is already proving his worth it seems.

Yep, I was sincere.
Just thinkng...What if he pans out the same way. Other teams never expected his impact as a Power Forward until it was too late. Bang...right in their heart. Kill shot!!!
Pearl had the vision to see Dane's worth as a "baller" and utilized his heart and desire.
Could we be getting a clone? Hope so!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SneakyPete:

Yep, I was sincere.
Could we be getting a clone? Hope so!

Another poster said we are and backed it up with another site's article. He was said to be "all over the court", in a good way! I love that. Hustle has been a weakness the last year of Pearl and some times last season. I hope Q brings it back for good!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SneakyPete:

Yep, I was sincere.
Could we be getting a clone? Hope so!

hhmmmm I see you read that article. I like Quinton. I lie our whole team this year.

WoodbineVOL writes:

This Kid is for real. I have said it from the start. Still cant belive he was red shirted last year. Dont worry about the competion or lack of he has all the tools to be a great VOL!
And he will be.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to WONT_STAY_AROUND_LONG:

Come on man....I looked forward to your post then you let me down....u dont have a clue about the set up in the SEC...so now all the fun is gone...Come on man!!!!

jjsteel writes:

in response to SneakyPete:

I agree and your right sometimes big things come in small packages.

in response to SneakyPete:

Quinton Chievous: Could he be the second coming of Dane Bradshaw?

Possibly, but with more offense. Except for that one play where he got whipped in the low post, he looked good in everything he did, no uncertainty and constant hustle. Apparently, that redshirt year did him a lot of good.

WelovePat writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

They are picked 4th in the SEC!!!
GO ZO
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

hahahahahah GOT THE IDIOT!!! He thought he was going to be clever bashing CONZO...good luck with that...he has fans and so does his team!!

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Yemi doesn't necessarily need to be more than a put-back scorer this year or next year. What he DOES need to be is a guy who can defend and rebound without fouling too much for at least 15 minutes a game this year and at least 25 minutes a game next year. I just think it is too much to expect him to be a double-figure scorer as long as he can do those other things. The Vols will be able to produce enough points to win as long as Yemi and whoever else is around can keep the Vols from being dominated in the middle.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to WONT_STAY_AROUND_LONG:

Ah, a well thought-out username.

Hmmm. I thought there was no East and West in SEC basketball anymore. Guess I was wrong. No, wait! Guess you're an idiot. Yeah. That's it.

Oh yeah, let's see. Coach Zo took over Missouri State in 2008-2009, inheriting the worst team in the MVC. In his third season they were 26-9 and MVC champions. Ok. I guess in your backward, twisted alternate universe that's losing. Not in the real world though.

Go on back to Moronville, loser.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

While I believe you to be exactly correct...don't forget his 18 point friek game last year.hehe he can score. sometimes. I don't remember who that was against though.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Ah, a well thought-out username.

Go on back to Moronville, loser.

c'mon man! It's not "Moronville. they've changed the name to "Specialville". It was Mentallychallengedville" before that.

I'm so funny. well it's obvious any way you say it with some of these "visitors" from other zones.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

That game was against the Citadel, the only UT game I was able to see in person last season. He had it going on that night, but he had about a 4" height advantage over any of his opponents. Still, I think it is more a matter of confidence, his confidence in himself and his teammates' confidence in him. He will get better all the time, but it is probably better not to EXPECT that kind of offense out of him every night. I would be satisfied if he just took it up strong every time he gets it down low. He is a decent FT shooter, so he just needs to MAKE them foul him down there, preferably while he is slamming it down!