Letter: Another South Carolina fan praises UT for response to Marcus Lattimore's injury

South Carolina and Tennessee players gather around tailback Marcus Lattimore (21) after he was hit on a play and sufferend an apparent knee injury in the second quarter at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C., on Saturday. Lattimore was taken to a hospital. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Darrell J. Boykin, Columbia, S.C.

On Oct. 27, I attended the University of South Carolina vs. the University of Tennessee football game. It was a hard-fought game that South Carolina was extremely fortunate to win. It was another heartbreaking loss for UT in a year of disappointment on the football field. However, the Vol nation should be proud of the great display of sportsmanship shown by the Tennessee team when the undisputed hero of South Carolina, Marcus Lattimore, sustained a gruesome injury to his leg during the game. After the hit, while the doctors were attending to Lattimore, both teams gathered around him on the field. It was a touching display of respect and caring that you rarely see on the football field. My respect for UT grew exponentially that Saturday. So as a fan who has seen his team struggle mightily over the years, I would tell the Vol nation to be proud of your team. They represent you well.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

standfast#211788 writes:

We are SEC!

dvhill100 writes:

Okay, we have the sportsmanship thingy down, now let's see about getting the winning thingy down.

TheSmokyMountainThatRides writes:

sportsmanship bortsmanship. it was terrible what happened to that young man and yes, it was touching that they gathered around him but we don't need south carolina fans feeling pitty for our past few years. go on thier message boards and you will see what they think of ut. after the lane kiffen black jersey game i went on just to see what they were saying bout spurrier taking that beating. one post said that they couldn't believe that they were just beat by a team with the tradition of indiana. INDIANA! they are new money acting like the face of the sec. don't need em.

volnvette03 writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

You sir, are sounding just like the South Carolina fans you are referring to.

voloffaith writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

yes it is i before e except after c..........no need to cap first word of any new sentence either...why use periods if the only word capped is"INDIANA". Tirade against this particular fan being thankful and you spin it away from that to whole different subject.....Have a nice day and smile whether the sun is or is not out.....jeepers Wally did you get upset when Eddie Haskel told Mrs. Cleaver she had a nice housecoat?

Olddogsrule writes:

Thank you for your kind comment and your own sportsmanship. I, as well as a host of Volunteers, are truly sorry to see any athlete injured, especially one with such great character, such God given abilities, and who is such a leader by example. Our prayers are with Marcus for a full recovery.

It's sad that there are people everywhere who claim to be sports fans, and that they ride ... but instead have no understanding of sportsmanship at all, so instead of riding, they crawl.

GerryOP writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

Classical naysaying negaVol attitude ... Ain't nothin' good about anything.

ColdBlackWind writes:

One of the most difficult social skills to learn is how to accept compliments. Obviously some folks will never get it. Williams-Brice is a great venue and the SC fans have always been cordial, new money or not. They sure do know how to hire a coach....

voloffaith writes:

in response to ColdBlackWind:

All was fine and fitting ....then that lil zinger right at the end.....Should have left it out........anyway they(fans) didn't contractually allure the ole ball coach...I live down here on the outskirts of Columbia and there was no ragging/taunting after our loss to them feathered pigskinners.............

usafvol writes:

After continually reading all the negative posts that our "fans" put on here I'll say it again: we have the WORST fan base there is. Not only do our fans continually bash Dooley and the team, they have to complain about a compliment. Some of you people really need to get a life. If all you can do is complain, it must really suck to be you!

volboy81 writes:

that's nice to hear from a rival's fan. I'm sure there are numerous teams in the SEC that no one can say that about....and I'm sure we all know who they are.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to usafvol:

Good post! But remember, most of those people are trolls pretending to be Vol fans.

volboy81 writes:

in response to usafvol:

ALL fan bases have these type of "fans." It's too bad they all come out of the woodwork when we are doing lousy, but, unfortunately, that's the way it is. They don't represent Tennessee, they're just the loud minority. Hopefully, fans of other teams don't think of their kind when they think of the Vols!

Volfan1 writes:

in response to volboy81:

The "Legion of the Miserable" is still alive.
Fortunately, they do not represent me or the UT fan base.

usafvol writes:

in response to Volfan1:

The "Legion of the Miserable" is still alive.
Fortunately, they do not represent me or the UT fan base.

You're right, they do not represent the "Real Fans". GO VOLS!

GerryOP writes:

in response to usafvol:

You're right, they do not represent the "Real Fans". GO VOLS!

It's great... To be... A Tennessee Vol...

VolVox writes:

A South Carolina fan took the time, trouble & energy to show his respect for our team by writing a letter of thanks. He didn't have to do it. It is beyond my comprehension as to why his show of sportsmanship in response to our team's demonstration of the same should result in criticism. I can only hope that the criticism is not an example of what is being passed on to our kids as to what is truly important in life. I personally have been treated very well at Williams-Brice as an opposing fan and appreciated it. I appreciate that letter and the spirit in which it was obviously intended. I hope Lattimore rehabs that knee, makes it 100% back, plays against the Vols next year, and comes out on the losing end in a hard-fought game. GBO.

1Volunteer writes:

I wish to thank Mr. Boykin for taking the time and effort to express his appreciation to the Volunteer team and fans. Would that there were many more occasions upon which we notice that good, heart-felt sportsmanship is displayed.

In the 1968 Orange Bowl, Tennessee's All-American center Bob Johnson faced off against Granville Liggins, All-American nose guard for the Oklahoma Sooners. Liggins played an outstanding game, forcing the Vols' line to doubleteam him to stop his big defensive plays. OU edged the second-ranked Vols, 26-24. Late in the game Liggins sustained a leg injury. I don't know how or why it worked out this way, but when he limped from the field Liggins was supported by a Tennessee Volunteer on each side. The image of that walk to the sidelines is as memorable to me as any football play that I have seen executed by the team.

Thank you, Mr. Boykin, and best of luck to the Gamecocks in the remainder of the 2012 campaign.

usafvol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

It's great... To be... A Tennessee Vol...

It sure is. Even though I have a 5 hour drive, I'll be at the game this weekend just like always. If you only enjoy the game if you're team is winning, you're really not much of a fan..

brod writes:

i'm all about winning, and i've been disappointed greatly with the program since the 2007 season, but....after all of the controversy surrounding the athletic dept. over the last four years, it is nice to see praise from a fan of another program.

brokendownoldvol writes:

How is he doing anyway? Does anyone have info on the real extent of the injury? I hope he can play again.

formervol1950s writes:

Darrell,
Thank you for the gracious letter . it's good to see there are still folks out there like you .

notorange writes:

Competition is fine, complaining about your team is fine, when a rival fan compliments your team its priceless...

gamecockfan writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Marcus is doing good. He had surgery last friday in Birmingham and it was successful he is back in Columbia. Now he has to start with his rehab and most important rest.
Sat he is going to be honored at the game they are putting his name on wall for scoring the most touchdowns and the most rushing touchdowns.
He is going to attend so that is good news
Again Thank u to The Vols showing sportsmanship and again we are SEC FAMILY. When its time to show compassion and concern there is no better teams then our SEC teams. And Fans

voodoo101 writes:

in response to 1Volunteer:

I completely agree with you. It was a proud moment watching the respect and the concern that the players on both sides showed. Regardless of what has or will happen to this team, that was a highlight that I hope none of us forgets.

I didn't know that story from the Orange Bowl - amazing - I left UT in '67 and joined the Army. Missing UT football was the hardest part of those three years. Bob Johnson and I walked together on the way to ROTC class a few times; he was certainly one of the nicest and most down to earth people I've met.

allvol9 writes:

I really appreciate the time that several of the South Carolina fans have taken to express their feelings about our Vol team. I too was overcome with emotion at what I witnessed on the football field that Saturday. First and foremost at the severe injury to Mr. Lattimore. And second at my Vol team for showing such tremendous respect. I don't remember ever witnessing a scene like that. Mr. Lattimore is a classy guy, the Vol team displayed such class and lastly thanks to the USC fans for classy letters!

in response to gamecockfan:

He is going to attend so that is good news

Thanks for the update. I join many--if not all, unfortunately--Vol fans in wishing Marcus a speedy recovery. I'm old enough that I cringe over most hard hits on the football field, but injuries such as Marcus suffered are unwatchable under any circumstances. Thanks to you and other Gamecock fans for crediting the Vols' sportsmanship. It is always good to remember that "winning at any cost" ALWAYS costs more than it is worth.

in response to voodoo101:

Small world! IIRC, I too was in the same ROTC class with Bob Johnson and Paul Naumoff, so I guess I was in that class with you! Agree completely about Bob Johnson, one of the greatest Vols ever, on and off the field. Last I heard he was running a successful engineering firm in Ohio after a long, distinguished career with the Bengals. Hope he is still doing well, though I haven't heard his name in years.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Yes, it is a small world, and you are the second person today who has said our paths have probably crossed in school. I really miss the days when Doug Dickey was the head coach; I wonder what might have been if FL hadn't lured him away.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to gamecockfan:

He is going to attend so that is good news

Thanks. I'm glad to here that! I've thought about him everyday since it happened.

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

in response to gamecockfan:

He is going to attend so that is good news

Excellent, I hope to see him playing on Sundays!

RealisticVol writes:

Thanks for being a classy fan and writing a classy letter. Football needs more fans like you.

Pullingguard writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

There is one in every crowd, and u are it... Nothing.....

VolinCalif writes:

Well I'm back for a while. So I was catching up on reading the post. As intelligent as D.Boykin showed he was in his commentary post I think he can readily see through the Trash trolls BS. That trash wants to bad mouth the Vols in any fashion possible because that is their only means of getting attention. Mr. Boykin knows this and showed his respect to the Vol nation. Thanks DJ

RaineyVol writes:

in response to usafvol:

Amen

WhiteHotBleedOrange writes:

in response to 1Volunteer:

1Vol,
That '68 Orange Bowl is the first game I can remember watching as a young Vol fan. Sure wish Karl could have hit that field goal for the W, but I was hooked anyway. Vol for life!

cloudodust writes:

in response to usafvol:

No matter what you read posted on these boards, we do not have the worst fan base there is. We have some loose nuts but to date : We've poisoned no trees on a rivals turf, thrown no bricks through a HC's picture window, egged our QB's house AFTER A WIN. No, we're not the greatest in times of despair but then again, we're not so bad, all in all...

tuscavol writes:

in response to VolVox:

Very well said. I totally agree with every word in your post. Our team showed a lot of class and its nice to know South Carolina fans appreciated it. As a Vol fan, I was proud of the way we were represented. GO VOLS!!!

BRUCEpart2 writes:

Mr. Boykin is a true gentleman for taking the time to thank our team. Even though I'm of the opinion that Coach Dooley may not be our guy for the long haul, I feel that the players reaction to Lattimore's injury not only spoke well of them personally, but also to the type of behavior Coach Dooley expects and has tried to ingrain in them. For that reason Coach, I extend my hearty thanks to you!