UT says Deion Bonner won't face charges

No charges will be brought against Tennessee freshman cornerback Deion Bonner in connection with a cellphone theft on campus last week.

The case will drop to inactive status, UT spokesperson Margie Nichols said Thursday, and the alleged victim in the case does not wish to pursue charges.

Nichols said she didn't know the circumstances under which Bonner was listed as a suspect in the original police report. The 21-year-old victim called police Oct. 31 to report that her phone was stolen from the Health, Physical Education and Recreation Building on Andy Holt Avenue.

Bonner, 19, from Columbus Ga., has played in six games this season. He dressed out but did not play last week against Troy.

Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said Monday that he had no evidence that Bonner did anything wrong and that Bonner would remain on the team in good standing unless new information came to light.

In April of 2011, Bonner and two teammates from Carver High School were arrested by University of Georgia police for stealing iPods and iPhones from the lockers of seven Georgia football players during a recruiting visit.

Bonner, an all-state player who was rated a four-star prospect by Rivals.com and a three-star prospect by 247Sports, saw his recruiting stock plummet after the arrest.

Last week, after several media outlets reported that he was a suspect in the cellphone theft, Bonner tweeted, "Crazy crazy world that we live in."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at www.Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

PUL4VOLS writes:

So now we can move on? I sure hope so. If he had been involved by you. But looks as if he is in the clear...Did I write clear? I meant clear not Clear!

JonGrudensAgent writes:

Well, that's good.

Vols4life77 writes:

Now for all the people who had already convicted him of the crime before we knew the facts you owe him an apology. I said to wait until the facts were in and innocent until proven guilty but a LOT of people had already made their minds up. You know who you are. Just because you made a mistake in the past doesn't mean you will make the same mistake again,

VolGrad writes:

Glad to hear it.

born2ride writes:

Great news. He got it away with it.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

77, I'm one of those fans you speak of..Though I'm glad Bonner is reinstated, myself or any other fan owes him nothing. The bed was made and the consequences he suffers with are a product of his own actions. Perhaps this will remind him that being a thief carry's a bad reputation that will follow him the rest of his life. Integrity/trust are earned, not given..Welcome back and keep the faith..GBO!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

keepitreal4vols writes:

Yuma will have to wait.

pcorange writes:

Unless there is proof that he took the phone, this is the right course to take. However, he shouldn't be surprised that he is a suspect when a phone comes up missing in a building that he is in. When you make your bed hard, you have to lay in it.

DLuckySeven writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I guess since you was wrong in your assumption then from here on out we should label all your post as being bull

easttnvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You're crappy attitude is the problem. Rather than wait until the facts are in you jump to conclusions and when you're wrong you don't have the fortitude to admit it. Of course you've probably never made a mistake. How old are you anyway,12?

GerryOP writes:

OK Deion, you've got a history to overcome, so try harder to be very careful about putting yourself in harm's way. If you put yourself in harm's way, sooner or later harm will happen.

Look dude, Dooley didn't give you a second chance because he thought you deserved it, he gave you a second chance because he believed that you could help the Vol football program. Now tighten up your chin strap, your jock strap too if needed, and earn your way onto the field and show us what you got. Show us what a 4* CB can do! You're on a team building a winning a future, stay clean and be a part of that future.

And never forget, It's great... To be... A Tennessee Vol...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to easttnvol:

I've made plenty of mistakes in my life, but I have never stolen or committed a crime. I'm a retired Deputy Sheriff/1st Sergeant from the US Army. So, that makes me a little older than 12 by 38 years to be exact. I admit my attitude is mostly pessimistic..And?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to DLuckySeven:

How was I wrong? I pointed out that giving Bonner a second chance meant he was on a shorter leash than the rest of the freshman class. Any slip up (especially along the lines of theft) would be/should be automatic grounds for dismissal.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I saw that tweet of his shortly after I read the first report about him being a suspect. I immediately thought he was probably innocent. It just didn't seem like the kind of thing a guy would tweet if he wasn't.

Glad it seems to be straightened out, but still worry a little. Historically, these kids who get into trouble with the law once, seem to eventually do it again and end up off the team. It's always such a shame when it happens to a kid who has a bright future in the sport.

arkansasvol1975 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Really? I think probably not. This girl was probably paid off to not file charges. You know, once a thief, always a thief. Kinda of like a liar, one who lies tends to lie alot. This thug got off easy my gut is telling me. To me, if that had been you or me, we would have been arrested. No diversion granted to us so that after a year our record gets wiped clean. Thats the problem with athletes, they know they will get a slap on the hand and nothing will come of it. Real lesson to teach our kids.

arkansasvol1975 writes:

in response to Vols4life77:

Hate to tell you, but we do not know all the facts. Something smells fishy to me over this deal. The girl files a report, either names him as a suspect or the police did, and now she will not pursue charges? Someone got paid.

Scoon writes:

in response to DLuckySeven:

No, D. From here on out, we need to label all his post as being bear. Polar bear to be exact ... with hair as white as the wind driven snow.

Scoon writes:

P.S.

@ D: and, with a ColdNose, which he is.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

All that said makes you feel better doesn't it? Now you are ready for your next brilliant comments. Could you be Jeff, Walt, Merlot, etc in disguise?

JayTee writes:

Poor job of police work when all you have to do is pull the phone records to see who was called at what time then ask the person who recieved the called who called them. I'm sure it was used before she had it disconnected.

Was the phone recovered and who had it?

Sounds a bit fishy here folks.

commonman writes:

in response to arkansasvol1975:

This kind of thing happens a little to much in K-town.

VOLFLIAM writes:

in response to born2ride:

Great news. He got it away with it.

Idiot !!!

Chappy writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

Yeah, she was just begging for someone to steal her cellphone. Everyone knows it's always the victim's fault.

hueypilot writes:

Aren't computers, cell phones, I pods pretty stupid things to steal. Can they be "cleaned" and reused but as long as any of these are connected to other devices, don't they have electronic ID"s or signatures that will always be able to be identified by competent techs? Just asking but isn't that the reason these criminals and other secretive types use disposables and then toss them after use? Maybe I've been watching too much Homeland but at least that is the idea these things seem to convey.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Vols4life77:

It is never a mistake when you rob,steal,lie,etc.Anyone that do those things know it is wrong.That is why they try to hide the wrong.Doing those same things a second time after having been caught once just shows you are a sorry dumb idiot and you deserve to be put away.

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Okay until you clowns can show me facts of where he took the phone he is INNOCENT!!! That's the way this judicial system is supposed to work. Innocent until proven guilty. I'm not here vouching for this kids character because he was guilty before. And while I have never been arrested the kid was 17 years old. Dumb decision then absolutely, but that doesn't make him guilty now. And yes if the crime doesn't repeat itself then we and bonner can call it a mistake. I have no use for liars and thieves but everybody deserves a second chance especially when the combination is a cell phone and a 17 year old kid. Kids will always make mistakes, they may not always steal but it's how you learn from your mistakes and correct them that makes you a better person. Too much negativity and I'll biased conclusions about the victim being paid off. What a phooey of sh##! Find me some evidence to support that theory and then we will talk. He's innocent because he innocent. Keep all your hidden agendas to yourself unless you can prove it. Good grief!

Ayres_Hall writes:

There are a lot is dicks (detectives) on this site.