5 Big Things against Missouri

Tennessee offensive linesman Dallas Thomas (71) during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game Friday, Aug. 31, 2012 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

1 A Rivalry Begins: The first game between Tennessee and Missouri, which share a distant 50-mile Mississippi River border, launches a new era of SEC East ramifications. Let's just say the inaugural meeting finds both programs hoping for better days.

2Two Heads Better: Safeties coach Josh Conklin will have an increased voice in directing UT's defense today. To what extent he and coordinator Sal Sunseri collaborate remains to be seen. Here's predicting Mizzou falls short of Troy's 721 yards last week.

3 Ray-Bans Anyone?: With another early kickoff and forecast for a sunny day, UT's offense should call pass plays accordingly. Last week, sun glare was blamed in two dropped Tyler Bray passes that would have been touchdowns.

4James Franklin I: Next week the Vols have to beat Vanderbilt coach James Franklin. Today they have to actually tackle James Franklin. The Tigers' quarterback certainly hasn't had the season he wanted, due in part to injuries. If he finally musters his game of the year today, UT is in trouble.

5Overtime Kings: If it's tied (55-55?) after 60 minutes, no problem. Missouri and UT are the only FBS programs with 10 overtime wins. The Vols are 10-3 in overtime, the Tigers 10-4. Dooley is 2-1, with wins over Vanderbilt and UAB and a loss to North Carolina. The Vols are 6-0 at home in overtime.

— Mike Strange

joevol33 writes:

5 things, i would say all 5 big things should be defense. 1-5 defense period

vq4nfo writes:

Missouri has only scored a combined 38 points in the last 3 games. Wonder how many they will get tomorrow?

joevol33 writes:

in response to vq4nfo:

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd say 45 with franklin almost propelling himself into the heisman watch

vq4nfo writes:

in response to joevol33:

I hope you are wrong also. Just hope the fans show up better than last week. It would be great for the players even if you do not like the head coach.

movol53 writes:

So if the receivers can't see the passes can't we put sunvisors in the helmets?? Or didn't anyone think\ of this??

PUL4VOLS writes:

I do not care how many points MO scores, I just want the Vols to score more. Would I love for the defense to do much better? Oh yes I would but ultimately, go win the game as we start this new rivalry. Then maybe we can move on.

West10Vol writes:

Aren't there really only three BIG things?
1 Play solid defense
2 Score lots of points
3 Avoid injuries

Volumnus writes:

Thing number 6: Actually look at the logo on the helmet.

# 7 Look up the history of that logo on the internet that Al Gore invented.

# 8 channel General Bob Neyland.

# 9 get a Gonad transplant.

# 10 show up and play some dang football.

Y'all are a freaking embarrassment!

voodoo101 writes:

in response to Volumnus:

Thing number 6: Actually look at the logo on the helmet.

# 7 Look up the history of that logo on the internet that Al Gore invented.

# 8 channel General Bob Neyland.

# 9 get a Gonad transplant.

# 10 show up and play some dang football.

Y'all are a freaking embarrassment!

Then why don't you go on the field and see if you can do better.

6972 writes:

in response to movol53:

Great idea pal. Only problem is I am reading the atheletic department doesn't have the money to do that because we spent it all on high salaries and payouts. Still a neat idea. I wonder if the sun blinds the Mo recievers. Just wondering.

SummittsCourt writes:

This is not a rivalry nor will it ever be. as soon as the SEC adds two more teams Missouri will be in the West division.