Chattanooga shocks Lady Vols, 80-71

CHATTANOOGA – A new women’s basketball era for Tennessee started in shocking fashion Friday night.

Chattanooga took a lead early in the second half and never let it go, beating the Lady Vols 80-71 before a crowd of 8,468 at McKenzie Arena in the first game for UT head coach Holly Warlick.

The Lady Mocs snapped a 19-game losing streak against Tennessee and scored their first victory in the series since Jan. 26, 1973. The victory had their fans chanting “UTC” and rushing the court afterward

Meighan Simmons scored 23 for Tennessee but needed 25 shots for her production and missed seven of her eight 3-point attempts. Freshman forward Bashaara Graves scored 14 before fouling out with 2:07 left

Tennessee should’ve felt at home at the outset. Roughly 40 percent of the crowd was comprised of their fans. Head coach emeritus Pat Summitt was holding court, signing autographs and posing for photos with dozens of fans.

Instead, the Lady Vols looked lost, committing five turnovers in the first five minutes and missing five of their first six shots.

Ariel Massengale, who didn’t start at point guard, was hustled into the game within the first two minutes.

UT achieved some scoring traction thanks to its ability to get to the rim. Graves scored five of her nine first-half points at the foul line.

But the turnovers kept mounting, reaching 17 by halftime and betraying any hope for consistency. After forging a 20-11 lead, the Lady Vols went without a point for more than six minutes.

Chattanooga rallied to lead by four before a Massengale 25-footer beat the halftime buzzer and sent the teams to the locker room tied at 28.

Chattanooga started the second half by making six of its first seven shot. Tennessee went to a zone alignment and got some stops. But the Lady Mocs got a second wind and eventually opened a 52-42 lead after Alex Black blew up Massengale with a wicked cross-over dribble and swished a pull-up jumper.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Gmoney58 writes:

And the hits just keep on comin!

SummittsCourt writes:

Well, maybe the Lady Vols want be the relief I was hoping for.

This is embarrassing - I hope the Lady Vol players take a real look inside on this one.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Each week, I think there is no way that UT sports can get any worse...but they do.

acworthdave writes:

hmmmm...well, when does the coaching search start. Dave Hart is certainly smiling about this result. He can now start to put the Women's program in their proper place...back in Alumni Gym. This is not my desire but definitely his! Many changes are coming, both on the sidelines and in the stands!

Orangeblood13 writes:

Men didn't look much better

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Men didn't look much better

No they don't. I guess basketball is going to be a struggle too.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Holly's got the LV's playing hard, and sloppy.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Well, maybe the Lady Vols want be the relief I was hoping for.

Yeh I admit that losing to UTC is embarrassing on most years. But UT is sorta starting fresh this year and UTC has a great team this year...at least rumor has it. Sometimes us smaller schools can "pull out a plum".

WTG Lady Mocs.
Sorry Warlick but it's just one game. They'll come around by SEC.

GLVs

A little bit torn here. But it sounds like this will be the mocs last win against the Vols for quite a while looking at UT's recruits. I hope the Mocs don't play Vols next year. Seriously.
I just hope the "trolls" stay away on this one.
Warlicks a great coach and has already proven it last season and in her long tenure at UT.

wigmeister writes:

Oh God!

movol53 writes:

Just a couple of thoughts and then I'll hang up and listen. First if you look back into the history of Pat Summitt she lost her first game as well. Second, this is a very young team; one senior and one junior starting I believe. What happened to this being a defensive team??? As I listened I heard numerous times that the Lady Mocs "got behind" our defense. Becoming a defensive team and wanting to "push the tempo" were the two things mentioned in preseason. Young players playing tough defense can cause fouls and the uptempo can cause turnovers. Being a defensive team and being an uptempo team are not bad things just that they take awhile to learn so that we don't give the other team free throws and make turnovers. I know we had over 25 turnovers; that just cannot happen - - that was one of the downfalls of last years' team; always too many of them. Our two leaders Spani and "Gunner Simmons" were 4 of 20 or something crazy. I realize that Simmons (1 of 7 3 pointers) was trying to mount a one person comeback with 7 or 9 minutes left but she must hit those shots. It also sounded as if several players need to learn to use the backboard in order to hit layups (this ain't high school). Some folks were upset previously that The Lady Vols were only ranked 20th; let's see - - new coaching staff, very young players, few leaders returning - - yeah I can understand 20th. This year is going to be a learning year for all; staff and players alike. GO LADY VOLS!!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

"Men didn't look much better"???? Just because we coasted after a 26 point lead?? Kennesaw was never in that game dopes.

Seriously UTC just outplayed UT. Tonight. It happens every 41 years.lol Warlick shouldn't worry too much yet. Moc's girls are really good. but not good enough next year.lol nor maybe 41 more. At least we don't have a Russell very often.

volfaninbuckeyeland writes:

Since I am originally from Chatta, I must admit that I am not altogether disappointed, but I am somewhat surprised. I was aware that UTC's coach had made this team fairly competitive in recent years, but this win could mark a real milestone in the progress of the program. Since the LVOLS were not so highly ranked anyway, this serving of humble pie may prove to be a genuine motivational turning point or possibly the prelude to a season of mediocrity by what had previously been UT's last remaining vanguard of athletic supremacy. Congrats, LMocs--get 'em next time LVOLS.

bigdisbig writes:

Tennessee needs to switch its athletic program to a smaller conference. They just cannot play with the big schools in any sport these days. Maybe the WAC would take them? They wouldn't be able to win in football but they could make a run in basketball.....maybe.

coffy73 writes:

I totally agree about Warlick; I knew that when she was given the job. All last season, she did her best CPS imitation...the yelling, the glare, but she still didn't motivate that team. Not head coach material, they need to be looking elsewhere. I tell ya, Coach Nikki Caldwell has that coaching fire and passion, but I doubt she'd leave LSU so quickly.

doctorvol#211700 writes:

not good for lady vols, but I am happy for Wes Moore. He is a great guy, and a very good coach.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Big Orange Nation has become Loosersville. And it is very comfortable for the Legion of the Miserable.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm sorry folks but losing to the mocs is not necessarily a sign of "mediocrity". It might be a sign of a tough first year for Warlick. But recruiting looks awesome so far.

orange_eVOLution writes:

What?

whistler74 writes:

Warlick always looked like a deer in headlights last season, though that could have been the pressure and confusion around Coach Pat's situation. I do hope Warlick does well. I would really like to see her succeed, but I fear she is not head coach material. I have been impressed with Nikki Caldwell as well. If Warlick does not do well as a head coach I think U.T. should pursue Caldwell intensely.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to acworthdave:

Hart should not be around long enough to make any decisions involving UT. He should be sent packing along with Sal and maybe Dooley. UT needs people who has UTs best interest at heart. What's going on at UT now is terrible. We the fans deserve better than what we are paying for.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

hmmmm I wonder what's on Gomocs.com?

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to coffy73:

Should have stolen Melissa McFerrin from Memphis.

RoadTrip writes:

Didn't see this coming. Saw a general downward trend. But never this. Sickening.

pcorange writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

UT is a founding member of the SEC. We belong in the SEC. Seriously, this is a down cycle that won't last forever. Enough of the WAC and MAC talk already.

movol53 writes:

Oh my; it's just one game and Pat lost her first one!!! There is going to be a learning curve for a new coaching staff and all the young players on the team.

minnehan writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Stupid comment!

pcorange writes:

This is one game. A blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while. Let's see what happens from here on out before we pass judgment on CHW.

oldster writes:

Lady Vols seem to have the same problems that they have had for years now. They cannot shoot, particularly layups (they have to have had the worst shooting percentage from less than 2 feet of any of "elite" program in the history of either men's or women's bb). Worse than that is their sloppy ball handling and just lack of good decision making. Granted, one can expect and accept more turnovers when moving at the speed that Holly wants to go, but 27 - against a ... well, not elite, team! I would have these young women carrying a basketball with them 24/7 until they get the idea that it is a pecious commodity.

minnehan writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

A very stupid comment. You must be a Vandy fan!

Smokey91 writes:

When did UT becomes the Chicago Cubs of the SEC? Sure seems like there is a curse hanging over us.

SoddyVol writes:

Those making Comments seem to think Chattanooga should be a pushover. Moore is a great coach and has an experienced team to work with. He emphasizes up tempo more this year, just like Tn. Look for Chattanooga to be in the NCAAs and perhaps even win a game or two. Turnovers Tn-25, Chatta-13. This could be expected from so young a team but I was disappointed in Harrison getting called for so many Walks. She also needs to learn to play defense better without fouling. For this game I'm not too disappointed. However, they Must improve a lot real soon if I am to get excited about them.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Men didn't look much better

How did you watch both games at the same time?

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

If you can't spell LOSER......you know the rest.

hallmo11 writes:

A little background here before everyone goes crazy: I am a Lady Vols fan from C'nooga. Wes Moore has an excellent program. He's a great coach. This was a perfect storm for them to pull the upset. Our Vols are rebuilding - everyone knows that. The Mocs returned
more starters. Holly will get this team pulled together. Meghan (hopefully) will look at the tape and realize that she's gotta make some changes in her game. But the WORST thing that true Vol fans can do is start talk about being "Loserville", etc. How about giving Holly a little encouragement and support? How would any of you like to follow The Legend?? She'll get things turned around and we need to be WITH her 'til she does.

martic#220796 writes:

Hurry and get Mercedes signature before she changes her mind!!!!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

"Former Morristown West star Taylor Hall scored a game-high 24 points for Chattanooga, which shot better than 50 percent from the floor for the final 20 minutes in scoring 52 points."

What's wrong with this statement? I went to Morristown West and keep up with their sports. I knew when this girl played there that she was special. She might not have had all the flare or "rankings" out of HS, but she was dominant. I'm wondering how UT didn't get her.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to minnehan:

Stupid comment!

This sounds like someone who doesn't have a clue about UT sports and it's sports history. With the right people UT will be back. WAC and MAC is not for us and should not ever come to mind, unless it comes from clueless people. Stick to high school.

jack4444 writes:

Tennessee athletics is like Iowa or Missippi or Illinois or Indiana or Wyoming or Maryland or Colorado or New Mexico or Minnesota or Arizona.

Big state universities who spend big bucks and wallow in mediocrity. No biggie. This is UT.

Theo writes:

I knew the trolls masquerading as Lady Vols fans would be out tonight.
I am not worried about this team or this program. I looked at the rankings of our Soph/Fresh classes and they were great. With an even better class coming in next year we will be competitive for a NC the year after next.
Regarding Holly - she is going to do a great job for us. Pat would not have kept Holly around, groomed her to become head coach etc., unless she knew she would keep the Lady Vol tradition going.
Anyone suggesting that Holly won't get it done is just either a miserable person or a troll.
It is the first game of a season that is going to be heavy on learning. This team is extremely young. The coaching staff has had major changes. There will be bumps in the road this season - we just need to concentrate on the progress of our great young Lady Vols and know the pipeline is full.
Go Lady Vols!

ACWLY writes:

Unbelievable lose... but then again it's still 2012 what else is new! Will the madness or should I say sadness EVER END for us???

g-man writes:

have to lay some blame on the coach and player development not happening here these girls are all Americans who's games are not getting better year by year but worse by the year,look at massengale, feel sorry for russell, everybody on here know that warlick is not head coach material, face reality, this will be the worse lady vol team ever

RockyMtnVol writes:

OMG! do you guys ever take a break from witching anything and everything UT? Do you not have life or is this it...Wow! A bunch of fudging losers most of you are.....really?

coffy73 writes:

in response to movol53:

This isn't the beginning of a team, it's the continuation of a legendary one. Of course there are gonna be serious bumps in the road at this time, but CPS has laid a long groundwork for this team to continue being a tough player for the future. They need a coach who is going to take the top talent we have and be an effective leader, Holly isn't it; she's a great assistant, but motivator she is not. When people make constructive criticisms, it's not being a troll, it's just being a realist.

cloudodust writes:

Coaching, coaching, coaching, Who says coaching doesn't matter..? Learn from it, Grasshopper. Learn. For once in your life, learn...

Vol1968 writes:

HOLLY WARLICK IS NOT HEAD COACH MATERIAL!

Holly- maybe Fran should be sitting behind you, YOU NEED THE HELP!!!!!

g-man writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

LOL

Theo writes:

in response to coffy73:

I know I am wasting my time with you trolls. And yes, I think you are a troll. One game, One month, One season does not make a coach. We all knew this season would have rough patches. BTW it is not "constructive criticism" to condemn Holly after her first game.
True Lady Vol fans, we are going to have to get used to clowns like this as we watch this young team grow. They have waited for years to take a shot and they will crawl out of the woodwork. Enjoy it now trolls because you won't get to enjoy it by the end of this year and certainly not going forward.

ACWLY writes:

in response to RockyMtnVol:

Witching ?? what exactly does this mean... And yes for many people on this page [at least for me] we do keep a close eye on Tennessee, we love Tennessee, have followed them for years and have a right to express our opinions and even disagree with one another but we're not F----- LOSERS. I've read every post on this page and it's clear YOU ARE the only LOSER on it. The rest of us are just sharing our opinions or venting our frustrations and occasionally a little one on one name calling but never calling out the entire bunch. You should be happier, your man just won the election, you are a democrat, right? [just kidding about the politics].

redskinvol1 writes:

I BLAME DOOLEY!!

jbmac04#1413836 writes:

in response to coffy73:

Amen,

Nicki Caldwell should have been target #1 and paid whatever it took. This team will die on the vine with the assistant to a legend route. Tell me one that worked!!!