David Climer: Vols AD can't decide Dooley's fate alone

University of Tennessee athletics director Dave Hart looks on from the sideline as the Volunteers play the Mississippi State Bulldogs at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012. The Tennessee Volunteers lost 41-31. (AP Photo/Knoxville News Sentinel, Adam Brimer)

Tennessee Vols fans who are anxious for a coaching change are trusting Dave Hart to call upon all his experience and insight and make the correct decision.

Hart’s fire/hire record with coaches at UT:

• He elevated Holly Warlick to Lady Vols basketball coach when Pat Summitt announced her semi-retirement.

• He hired Brian Pensky to coach the women’s soccer team.

That’s it.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

CoverOrange writes:

Interesting point about Cheek. Apparently he is not the one making decisions. So who is? No, I don't believe it is high dollar donors.

pcorange writes:

I'm convinced the decision has already been made. I think we will see Coach Dooley on the sidelines in 2013 as well. I'm not so sure about Sal Sunseri, but Dooley is here to stay. It would've already been done otherwise. I may be wrong, but I think Alabama Hart has got just what he wants at Tennessee.

vol49 writes:

I can definitely assist.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

Who is k and why should we care if he/she attends another game at UT? No one cares about your inner circle, jerk.

Colliervol writes:

No doubt that leadership has been in short supply at the top levels of the university. Hopefully that will improve. But to address Hart, I don't understand why folks are on him so hard right now. He hasn't hired a football coach in his tenure here so how does one blame him for what's going on? He (unlike some of our erstwhile "fans") had to give Dooley a chance to sink or swim on his own. He is just now approaching his first major decision as AD and we shall see how he reacts. Then and only then can you make a judgement about him. And I do get amused by all the Alabama conspiracy nuts in our fan base. I don't consider it a negative when you hire folks who have seen success and done it. (Would you hire someone that learned his craft, say, in the Memphis athletic department or, say, under Mike Garrett at USC? I think not.) Dave Hart, by all accounts, is a seasoned administrator and I'll give him a chance to succeed or flop. That's up to him.

Oh and while I'm at it on the soapbox, let's give it a rest about Mal Moore hiring Nick Saban. Moore is no different than the proverbial blind squirrel that found an acorn. Saban fell in Bama's and Moore's lap out of sheer luck. While Saban I'm sure was questioning his decision to go to the Dolphins, it is generally acknowledged that if the powers that be down there had let him sign Drew Brees (as Saban wanted to do), he wouldn't have bailed on the Dolphins when he did and Bama wouldn't have gotten him. As it was, it was all a matter of timing and that's about all the credit that Alabama gets on that one.

laraccoon writes:

in response to pcorange:

let me ask you a question , how does UT benefit from firing Dooley mid-season ? It bewilders me how bad firing Fulmer mid season worked out(and im not debating if it was right or wrong because its in the past) that people could still think there is any benefit to doing it that way , especially for the players sake !

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

Boy, you and that dozen or so of bad fans walking off will definitely get UT's attention..Not!

usafvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I doubt they ever actually go to games anyway. Even if they do go, they probably boo and complain the whole time.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Excellent point and my thoughts exactly..Firing a coach mid-season unless the team hasn't won a game it makes no sense. In fact it divides the team even worse than before and forces the new recruits to scatter from the 2013 class. Some fans/alumni are wanting to go to a bowl game this year as well as the players/team/coaches/cheerleaders/band..It would be foolish to pull the plug now.

BigOrangeRock writes:

It always goes back to one man.

The Rock has spoken.

thevoice writes:

I'll guess the decision has already been made. Dooley is not paid to beat Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky, or Troy. He's paid to beat the teams he's 0-15 against. With the fanbase hemorrhaging and split and the consequential downturn in attendees and hotdog money, Hart can't afford NOT to let Dooley walk.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to usafvol:

In other words: Good riddance!!..lol

VOLFLIAM writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

Inner circle.... K and his inner circle ???? LOL

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Colliervol:

+1.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Isn't k one of the Men in Black? I think you should have left off the comma, BTW.

NO_DIGGITY writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Team owners Thunder Thornton and elder James Haslem will make the decision. They have enough Benjamins buried in their back yard in Blue Band Coffee cans to cover the buyout. The 8 year $50 million question is, who you gonna get???

tnsportsman writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Might as well let Dooley stay until after the last game now, it's only a few weeks! Either way Dooley winning 3 games or losing another game he will be gone, IMO!

Dooley sealed his fate with the horrible, lay-down & embarrassing KY game last year! Since then Dooley has DONE NOTHING to rectify his position! IMO, IF Dooley had beat just ONE TOP SEC TEAMS he has loss too this year, then most of the VolNation would feel a little better!

NO PROGRESS = NO JOB, FIRE DOOLEY!

GO VOLS ALWAYS!

DenverVol writes:

I think Climer has nailed it again. Until proven otherwise, Hart doesn't instill much confidence. If it's true that he's going to keep CDD around another year than he needs to come out and say that. This whole thing of keeping quiet and not saying anything leads to all this speculation. If he keeps quiet and still retains CDD than in my opinion he's dug himself a hole that I don't think he'll be able to recover from that is unless we come back next year and win 10+ games. Not sure why Hart would want to go down with someone who he didn't hire. These next three "home" games are going to be very interesting to watch. One loss and I'll be watching to see if the whole program doesn't internally combust. Attendance tomorrow will be interesting as well.

killervol69 writes:

What a useless article, Mr Climer. Looks as though you have wasted both your time & ours (the faithful readers) by working so hard with this stupid article! You go way now! You no come back !

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Colliervol:

I totally agree on the timing thing. To get lucky like Bama did, or South Carolina, you have to be in the market at just the right time, and have an attractive opening (so to speak).

Bama's timing was perfect. South Carolina's timing was perfect. It doesn't happen often that there's a proven (national championship winning) coach who's on the market. They simply almost never get fired from their college job (only idiot ADs do that, specially mid-season), so you almost have to be looking for one who's just tried and failed in the NFL, and you have to be in the market at exactly that time.

UT hasn't been so lucky with timing yet, and I don't see anybody fitting that description being available any time soon either.

NashvillePreds writes:

Climer is an uninformed hater.
The University continues to attract and retain the most academically qualified students in it's history. Hundreds of millions are being pumped into the campus facilities. The current UT President seems to be doing a solid job, and Jimmy Cheek has done great things as well, in steering the long term goals of UTK.
Climer is a crumudgeon.

hueypilot writes:

It would be short sighted to think Hart gets to make the call in a vacumn. Hart has a boss, the University Chancellor and the Board of Trust . The Board of Trust Chairman ex officio is the governor, who is of course a Haslam. This is strictly in the Haslam's court, at least they have the most or biggest votes and will be writing the biggest checks or raising the money among their peers to write the checks. As Deep Throat told Woodward (or Bernstein, can't keep em straight) "follow the money" Always good advice for anything that involves money and this involves a lot of money.

GerryOP writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

Just stop it! You don't have at least a dozen in your "inner circle." Your "inner circle" probably consists of you and the face staring back at you in the mirror. And quite frankly, no one cares whether "k" or you ever attend another football game at UT. The folks who have to sit around you would probably agree with this.

BTW, your screen name sucks. Be a man and use your real name ... unless you're under 18.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

LMAO....your "inner circle"....that's funny and stupid at the same time. Hint: Your fellow employees at Waffle House do not exactly constitute an inner circle....unless they are part of your circle**** team. Get Lost.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Collier, you speak a great deal of truth.

Bigger_Al writes:

I KNEW BETTER than to click on a Climer article... I thought there might be something here insightful about the relationships in the power circle at UT. Instead, Climer bashes everyone associated with UT sports for the past 15 years. Typical.

pcorange writes:

in response to laraccoon:

If he were going to fire Coach Dooley, I think he would do it mid-season to go ahead and get a jump on the search for the next coach unless he already has someone on the hook, which I doubt. Who knows? Dooley may win out this year, win a bowl, get him a new DC for next year and build a good team. The more logical part of me has doubts about that, though. Alas, that's why they pay Hart the big bucks. He gets to make those decisions. The only power I or any other fan really has is to complain about his decisions if I don't like them.

BigOrangeFever76 (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

well toddyturd....you have been humiliating your parents for over 53 years now. By your logic, your parents should have kicked you out of their house about 35 years ago.

sameolvolalum writes:

in response to BigOrangeFever76:

Yeah. Waffle House's gona' miss loser and his loser friends after they've moved down to Costa Rica with Rush Limbaugh. Neyland's gona' feel empty without 'em.

GerryOP writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

What about "k?" Would he/she/it also love to see the KNS do a poll?

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

The comma was strictly for the KNS censors, lol.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

Are you kicking and screaming on the floor?? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Now go to your room young man, and no video games today..

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

FIRE DOOLEY NOW!!!! Charlie Strong or Tommy Tuberville my first 2 choices. Forget Gruden hes getting 4 million yr to work for 4 months thats a great gig. Strong and Tuberville have been successful wherever they have been. Better grab one now with the tire fires going on at Auburn, Arkansas and of course , "yes" Tennessee also. I bleed orange and for a top ten all-time program to succumb to the depths of a mediocre MAC school , well enough said.

pcorange writes:

in response to Colliervol:

For the record, I am not a "conspiracy nut", I am just dismayed that we are in the middle of what will very possibly be a third losing season in a row with no wins against a ranked opponent in three years, and the AD hasn't said a word about it other than to tell an Alabama newspaper what a sorry shape UT is in financially. I hope Dave Hart has our best interests at heart (no pun intended), but a great many UT fans wonder why he hasn't said something by now.

bkgunter writes:

Hopefully the AD pulls the trigger when he has identified a suitable replacement. That was just one of the critical mistakes made by the last AD. Hamilton's plan to destabilize a program that went to the conference championship the prior season by firing the coach---without a replacement---is mind blowing to this day. It led us directly to where we are. Fulmer's firing would be easier to digest if Hamilton had identified a candidate for the transition. Instead, the search process was horribly mismanaged and had Head Coach prospects running away like startled deer. That left us with Kiffie and then Dooley. The bruise left by Kiffin's brief tenure set the program back, and then the old AD doubled down and chose a second consecutive, inexperienced head coach with a losing record. Incredible, really. The whole thing sounds like a cheesy movie script---The Hangover: Season 4?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to thevoice:

You obviously know nothing about the decisions about who gets money and when.hehe Dooley get's paid the same right now. He'll acutally be paid more if he's fired. It's a no lose situation financially for him.

None of that matters to me. What matters is the players and the recruiting of players.
I think Dooley will stay at least one more year if not 2. If Two then we may see more as his teams improve. At least this is what I hope.
The media however seems to think it's their decision as they've got "fans" wanting him gone. These "circle of friends" fans do not care about UT football. They just come on here to mouth off.

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

I think the picture above speaks volumes about what Hart thinks, and what he is doing. Hart knows that if the fans are not coming to games then that is the major money maker at UT. He will not let his time here be mismanaged by the football coach or coaches. The major question is, "Who wanted Sunserri?" If Hart pushed Dooley to hire him, Hart needs to own it, let the fans know, and work to find a replacement. If Dooley picked the DC, he's (Dooley) gone. The offense did some tremendous things this year; with only a decent defense, we would have been much better off.

GerryOP writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Ah yes, up pops my own personal stalker. He lurks around waiting for me to post so he can pop up and get some attention. And then he posts a bunch of insignifiacnt drivel that exposes him for what he really is. In this case, he shows his true feelings for Coach Dooey. Ain't that sweet? Bless his little heart.

OK lil' billyboybob stalker, I've given you some attention now stop yapping and snapping at my heels like a little puppy dog. Crawl back into your little puppy dog bed in your Momma's basement before she finds out that you snuck out.

dragon18 writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

Calm down Francis:-)

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

Why would you pay a losing coach big money, Oh I guess Tennessee never looked at his head coaching experience. News for UT Athletics Department, I will donate 50.00$ to the Athletic program and if the 100,000 so called fans did the same then their is the buyout money, it would be so worth that 50.00 dollars just to see Dooley GONE!!! Worst coach ever in the HISTORY of COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to thevoice:

You have a right to your opinion. The truth is he can't afford to let Dooley go. I say make the changes we need by recruiting better and leave the coach alone to do that. Sunseri? ??? I don't know. these arent' his recruits on D. but you'd think he could do as good as his predecessor.

pcorange writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I can assure you I care about UT football or I wouldn't be on here in the first place. If you like losing, fine, but I don't. I'd be all for keeping Dooley for as long as it takes if we were seeing incremental improvement. In three years, if we were going in the right direction, we would've beaten somebody. Mississippi State, South Carolina, somebody. But, we haven't. In three years under Coach Dooley, we have not beaten a single team that we weren't supposed to. That is telling, guys. If he had what it takes to get it done, he would have. He's got enough talent to beat some better teams if he could coach.

GerryOP writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Really, you "enjoy analyzing people without listening to them talk?" That's called stalking.

NeylandWest writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Excellent points all around. Realistic Bama fans know Saban landed in their laps and realize their lucky lottery score with his hire. As for our beloved Vols, it seems that we're forgetting how Bama struggled through a few coaches and we're lucky we haven't had that misfortune (yet).

The Kiffin saga is what it is. When the dust settles, who can blame a man for following his heart and coaching at his dream job? I can't. I may get flamed for that opinion, but life goes on.

Kiffin leaves us at a horrible time and no one wants the job. Vol fans tend to forget those circumstances. We were denied by MANY coaches. Dooley stepped up and took over when no one wanted the job. Gotta give the man some props for that.

Is he handling it well? Depends on how you view things I suppose. He inherited an absolutely terrible situation. We were down to what, 57, scholarship players? Lost a few more to injuries and then had to build up from there. That doesn't happen over night. And now with all the speculation about job security it is killing us on the recruiting trail. Don't think for a second that rival coaches aren't locked and loaded and using that against us.

Personally, I want him here in 2013 b/c he'll finally have a mission-capable team (sorry, I'm military and that's just how we speak). If he fails in 2013, then that does a couple things for us.

1) It gives Hart & Co an extra year to find a good coach
2) It lets others know that we're willing to give you time to build up a team (players like the stability just as much as the coaches do)
3) $$$ isn't as big of an issue on the whole buy-out thing

Y'all have fun back in the states. I've gotta get some rest and get my boys ready for another fun-filled night in Trashcanistan.

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to dooleyslosers:

So you consider yourself and k as part of Dooleyslosers while Gerryop and myself as well as others consider ourselves Dooleyswinners. At least you admit what you are and I give you props for that. Troy was a name you pulled from the hat rather quickly...say what was the name of that team that we played week?

GerryOP writes:

in response to NeylandWest:

1) It gives Hart & Co an extra year to find a good coach
3) $$$ isn't as big of an issue on the whole buy-out thing

Thanks for all that you do serving our country. God bless and be well.

Ironcity writes:

in response to usafvol:

Their is plenty to boo and complain about. Some of you need to read what the poster wrote. Dooley is chasing fans away. Last week less then 70,000 this week likely the same even though we are playing a marquee game. UK the draw will be less then 60,000. Now you can complain about the 50,000 who choose not to go to the game but that doesn't change the reality that they are not there.

I don't think the University has any choice but to get rid of Dooley and move on. The fans have spoken.

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY! FIRE DOOLEY!

WILL THE TIRE FIRE CONTINUE ON THROUGH 2013 THAT IS THE QUESTION ??????????

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Hey are you one of dooleyslosers too? Do you hang out with him and k and the dude who calls himself stupidpoliceman. Do you guys have a secret handshake and everything? Hope you have a blessed day.

willtowin writes:

I am newly transplanted Vols fan. I have only been following the Vols for the last 5 years.I have always loved college football however. I don't know all the history surrounding Tennessee but my observations thus far is something isn't right with the football program at this time. I was at the GA State game and sat literally two rows behind the Tennessee bench. I saw a lot of horseplaying and laughing even when GA st was completing 3rd and long plays over and over. I saw players shaking their heads at the coaches and looking at each other and laughing after the coaches would instruct them and walk away. I don't think these players respect this coaching staff. I don't know the reason why but me and several other people in that row were commenting about the same thing. It seems Tennessee with all the facilities, money, and rabid fanbase should also be attracting more 4 and 5 star players. All this is just my observation. I don't want to get into all the fire Dooley debate but to be honest if I was forced to make a decision right now as I see it, I would have to pull the trigger and make a change. I will still pull for them in the meantime however.