Holly Warlick takes up Lady Vols mantle

Lady Vols head coach Holly Warlick looks on as her team plays the Carson-Newman Eagles at Thompson-Boling Arena Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

"Big eyes." That's Tennessee Lady Vols freshman guard Andraya Carter's description of her more veteran teammates' reaction the first time new UT women's basketball coach Holly Warlick called a 5 a.m. practice last month.

"It was a little bit of a surprise," she said. "But I think it got everybody's attention."

At 7 p.m. tonight at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's McKenzie Arena, Warlick will have the attention of the entire women's basketball world, its eyes focused on her ability to replace her former coach and boss -- Pat Summitt, who racked up 1,098 wins and eight NCAA titles.

"It's going to be very unusual not to see Pat on their bench after all these years," said UTC women's coach Wes Moore, who was 0-9 against Summitt, the untouchable coach who retired in April to focus on her fight against Alzheimer's.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Wiedmer can write when he decides to do so. Good article. I remember Bartow at UCLA but don't remember felling too sorry for him. He was a great coach but nobody could follow Wooden at that time. It was sorta nice to see UCLA go down a little. But it wasn't Bartow's fault. Times just change.

As for Warlick I think she's doing great. Especially recruiting. We'll see pretty soon how well she handles the #1 chair. I won't know which team to watch tonight. Well listen I guess in LVs case. Since it's the Mocerinas I may listen in a bit. I can't lose in that game...love'em both. But I'll just have to hope for the LMs to play a good game.
Hoestly I don't watn Warlick to lose this one(not likely) because it won't hirt Moore to lose this game like it would Warlick.

UT 89 UTC 59

Sweet writes:

well i have heard rumours and i say rumours that after the 3 yr contract is over that they are going to release Holly for Nikki Caldwell but I believe Holly will surprise some people with her teams

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Better article than I'm used to from this writer, but as a Sewanee grad, I seem to remember Hall's transfer being FROM Sewanee TO Kentucky, not the other way around as this article has it.

In any case, I give Warlick credit for handling well an impossible situation last year. I believe she will handle well what could be an equally problematic situation this year.

But I'll support her, the coaches and the LV's all the way, no matter what happens.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Sweet:

thhhbbbt on rumors! Personally I don't believe anything I hear much on papers or tv. Especially on a blog. I don't even believe my self somtimes.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

Wiedmer is one of the best. He is correct! Hall did transfer to Sewanee after one year at Ky. He finished his BB eligibility at Sewanee without graduating then toured with Harlem Globetrotters and later returned to Kentucky where he graduated. So while he didn't transfer FROM Sewanee, he did go to KY After playing at Sewanee.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

I just realized after all these years I just can't read. Because I don't know what this article was about.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to Sweet:

Rumors! There are rumors about most everything. Who cares about your rumors? These sound preposterous.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Sweet:

Why would you type something like that? Rumours? Please!

SummittsCourt writes:

I think the Lady Vols will surprise a lot of teams this year. Being ranked #20 gives them the "surprise" factor to start off with. I believe they were ranked that high out of courtesy, but they will prove the doubters wrong this season.

Oh sure, there will be growing pains, but I see this team getting better as the season goes on and they will be competing for the SEC titles and more in the tourney!

Go Lady Vols!

Theo writes:

in response to Sweet:

Sound more like a troll to me. Get out of here WCBB fan.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

For instance the Lady mocs are up by 6!!!??

mocsandvolsfan writes:

LMs+9
Now +8
and back to the Men's Vols game.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

Thanks, SoddyVol! Joe B.'s career was even more intricate than I remembered, and I send my apologies to Wiedmer, too, for doubting his facts.