UT fans debate Dooley's fate after loss to Missouri

A young Tennessee fan reacts to a call by Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley to go into overtime during the second half against Missouri at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012. UT lost in four overtimes 51-48. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Should he stay or should he go?

University of Tennessee fans were divided Saturday evening after the Vols lost 51-48 to Missouri in four overtimes.

Dejected fans walked away from Neyland Stadium with comments like, "At least our band was good," and "Well, that seals it for (coach) Derek Dooley."

Some fans had already written off Dooley and assume UT will announce his termination soon because of the loss. Dooley is in his third season as coach of the Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC).

"I think Dooley is gone after this year. This win didn't matter for Dooley," said Blake Geasley, UT alumnus of the class of 2011. "We really needed our first SEC win."

Some fans haven't entirely turned their backs on Dooley yet, though.

Brother and sister Chris Myers and Lauren Boardman have conflicting views.

"I think Dooley's a good guy. I like him and I think we need to give him a chance. I think we're not going to do any better, and we're a whole lot better than we were three years ago," Boardman said.

The dedicated Vols fans have been to nearly every home game since 1998 and Myers graduated from UT in 2000. Now, he's worried he's wasting his money on expensive tickets and parking just to watch his team lose. They spent much of the game tailgating in the G-10 parking garage.

"My wife and I pay around $800 for season tickets, plus $100-200 for a parking pass, plus donations that we pay toward season tickets, but it's almost not worth it. I think we're going to pay for our tickets next year only because we don't want to lose them, but if there are too many years in a row like this, we're not going to move forward with it. It's just not worth it," Myers said.

"In my opinion, I think Dooley is going to be let go. I feel bad for him, I feel bad for his family. He's going to get quite a bit of buyout as he is, but at the end of the day we're going to have to bring the fans to the stadium and I think it makes sense for the university if we get rid of him."

The repeat losses are also damaging student moral at the university.

Paul Longmire, a senior at UT, said, "Since I've been here, I haven't gotten to see a winning season, so it's not been a very fun experience to be a UT football fan in my four years."

He said he is sure Dooley won't see another season but doesn't think he is entirely to blame.

"You can't just put it all on the coach. It's a bunch of people, but at some point you have to think the guy hasn't won one SEC game all year," Longmire said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Tennfan4075 writes:

How anyone thinks we are a whole lot better than three years ago is beyond me. This team has given up 100 points within 8 days.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

The ones that are still supporting Dooley probably tailgated a bit too long this morning and were very drunk.

pcorange writes:

Better than three years ago? That would be laughable if she weren't serious.

GloryDays writes:

Dooley quit today. He is a loser. Wait till Vandy and Kentucky beat us. This team is not getting better. 0-15 against top 25 teams in the last 3 years. 3-19 SEC record. Dooley has lost the fan base. Dooley has made excuse after excuse, he is destroying a once proud program. It is very frustrating being a Vol fan.

vfl76 writes:

Barbara, please come and get your son. It is time for him to go home. You can drop off your orange outfits at the Salvation Army, you will not need them any longer!

GloryDays writes:

in response to Orangepuddinskin:

Or they are Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Vandy or South Carolina fans.

I wanted Georgia to keep Ray Goff forever. Same for Mike Shula at bama and Zook at Florida. I wish they would have stayed forever. Dooley is a nice guy but he is in way over his head. He wll never win at Tennessee. Three years at UT and NO big wins, Zero! Fire his sorry rear!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

I've defended Dooley and thought that he should get 4 years. I now believe it is time to move on. Players AND coaches alike are making the same mistakes. This is a multi-million dollar business decision. I like Dooley as a person and he did the best he could. He's just not ready to be a top HC in the best conference in college football! Back to the drawing board! GBO!

rootin4volz writes:

2 million a year for a guy who doesn't call a time-out with TWO of them left, 25 seconds still on the clock, the ball in the hands of a QB with a rocket arm throwing to two NFL first-round prospects? Really? We should hang on to that??

Rosie writes:

He should go. Next question. This has been determined weeks ago. To say otherwise is dumb.
Let's just hope Hart has had his guy for weeks. If he's about to start the process of a coaching search he hasn't been doing his job.

govols0463 writes:

I can't believe anyone can feel sorry for someone paid this amount of money to coach football! Feel sorry for him? Really? And like GlennFords stated above, he is not a good guy. I'm sick and tired of seeing people lead with that when trying to find a strength. There's not one. I know the equipment manager, and he told me 6 months after he got here that he is one of the most foul mouthed people he had ever been around on a football field. The kids can't stand him, and apparently his fellow (past and probably current) coaches can't stand him. "Should he stay or should he go?". I know their job is to sell papers, but this is the dumbest way of doing it I've ever seen. This clown has won 4 SEC games in 3 years. He should've never been hired. Please, it's past time. Do it now. Name the new guy. Do it now or we are about to have the worst recruiting class in the history of the school by far!

firemancooper writes:

Did Mizzou fear the orange pants or think it was "old man" football coached by a guy wearing orange pants? So long Mr. Dooley, do the right thing and resign w/o a buyout. You've got the Hopper

jdogg44 writes:

my brother asked me if anyone would say, "Never should've gotten rid of Dooley?" I said, "No, no one will EVER say that."

if we'd have been on our own 3 yard line when our former coach decided to run the clock out in regulation it would have been understandable.... WOW, you have got to be kidding me.

letting the clock run out with two time outs alone is a fireable offense. He will never turn the 1-13 in our last 14 SEC games around!!!

fearthehound writes:

I supported Dooley when he was hired. I kept supporting him against all the trolls on these sites who posted the kr@pp they posted long before he should have been given up on. A couple of weeks ago, I said he needs to win out in order to keep his position. After today and that ridiculous call with 45 seconds left in regulation, plus the overall progress with this team, I say it is time. We gottta make a change. Put out the money--we, as fans, will not accept any more of this awful product. We deserve and demand better. Bring Fulmer back if you have to, hire Cutcliffe, hire Franklin from Vandy, hire Gruden, hire my Grandma--just give us something...

Rock85 writes:

DONT BRING A PROBLEM BACK TO REPLACE ONE. No Fulmer working like heck... GRUDEN or Keep Doodles

DavidB writes:

Don't expect an announcement this week. Hart will wait till the end of the season to clean house. I have thought for a few weeks Hart has been making phone calls but to be honest if he is making phone calls he has done the best job in AD history of keeping it under wraps

TNVol72 writes:

40 seconds left in the half at our 40 yard line with two time outs left...... and Dooley elects to run out the clock and go to overtime? That is the definition of a quitter!

Bye bye Dooley... don't let the door hit you in the donkey on the way out!

What a joke he has made of the Tennessee Volunteers!

GROD81885 writes:

FIRE HIM!!!!! After his dumb decision in the forth quarter when we had the ball with 40 seconds to go and 2 timeouts and we were on our 40. We could have at least tried and move the ball to put our kicker in position for a game winning field goal! I don't think he's getting better. He's getting worse. That was the dumbest decision i saw all night... That was like us in the Alabama game when he kicked a field goal in the forth quarter with nothing left on the clock. We were gonna lose anyway but grow a set of balls and at least play! Point,blank and simple Dooley doesn't have a pair! He should go back to Louisiana Tech or being a lame attorney sitting behind a desk reading a book on how to play football!

ACWLY writes:

Just asking... do any of you have a realistic clue who our next coach might be? I know a lot of you keep up with this pretty close, I don't have any idea but would really like to know who the candidates might be.

Vol_Air_Force writes:

Doo-Doo-Dooley, Goodbye...

DavidB writes:

in response to ACWLY:

Hard to tell who candidates are. All I can hope for is a proven winner.

ambrown64 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Hmmm. Nice guy or not so nice guy? SEC coaching aristocracy or spoiled, self-entitled mama's boy? It doesn't really matter. More jerks and brats have been sucessful in this profession.

What DOES matter is getting it done. I've certainly wanted him to succeed and I do think he's learned some things. Elements of this team are really enjoyable and fun to watch, but all in all the team is woeful. We just can't get it together, we make the same mistakes and poor decisions again and again. We never learn. I can't understand the 12 men on the field thing. What other team has the 12 men problem repeatedly for 3 years without being able to get a handle on it? I can't name one.

Vanderbilt is actually a better football team than Tennessee. I am not saying they beat us - just saying that they execute and we don't.

So...moving past that we are not very good, who is REALISTICALLY available I am sorry Gruden lovers - if this was a realistic option, it would have already happened.

Anyhow, our program needs an electro-magnetic force of nature...and who can we really get that fits that bill?

I think that getting the right coach is timing and luck. All of these programs that hit the skids tend to cycle through coaches until they get it right, sometimes spending more than a decade in the wilderness.

LSU was that way for 20 years, Bama did their time, look at ND and USC - both have done twenty year stints in exile.

I almost think that you keep Dooley, deal with it and grab a proven winner when the opportunity presents itself. If we sign another version of Dooley, or a series of Woody Widenhoffer guys, we just have to pay buyouts and give those guys 3-4 years each. Hell, maybe we'll even get a Petrino or Mike Price along the way.

Probably wrong in my comments. Lord its anemic - we may need change ust to get some spirit and optimism back.

I do like our teams' heart and resilience - seeing them quit last year was one of the saddest things, and I do think the kids have their hearts in the right place and have kept their minds together.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

Today was just another piece of incontestable evidence that the guy can't coach. We have nearly three full seasons of that on video now.

The "nice guy" rep is overstated as well. Plenty of AD employees would say the same if they had the chance.

There is no debate and, I'll say it again on here, anyone who thinks otherwise is a liar or a fool.

Dooley must go for the good of this program.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

C'mon people. Please quit bringing up Gruden's name. Did you not hear the guy just signed another deal with Monday Night Football. He's not interested so please move on. In my opinion Charlie Strong would be a good hire.

jbc writes:

Winningest active coaches

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to ambrown64:

Arkansas is supposedly close to wrapping up Gary Peterson from TCU.

KY is rumored to be looking at Petrino.

You know Auburn is throwing out offers.

Looks like our incompetent UTAD is going to lag behind these other schools in getting on with the business of trying to win games again.

I disagree with the tactic of holding onto Dooley while waiting for a big fish next year.

Go ahead and try to get the best coach available right now because another year under him is just a little more damage to the foundation of this once proud program.

Throw offers at Patterson, Petersen, Gruden and make them say no first.

Then we need to look at raiding our SEC brethren. Mullen, Sumlin, Franklin are all guys that may get swayed with enough money.

If that doesn't work, look at a guy like Charlie Strong at Louisville.

Staying with Dooley is not an option.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

For three years now, I have defended Dooley and defended him and defended him. After that 4th quarter possession, I can't defend him anymore.
He knows his defense can't stop running water and had no chance of slugging it out in OT.
If we're not gonna play to win, we need a coach who will.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

I say we call up Duke and bring Cutcliffe home.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Yeah...we're trolls because we called this one with 100% accuracy three years ago.

We're trolls because we told you and the rest of your Doolaide drinking buddies that Dooley can't coach, can't hire, can't manage, and isn't really that likeable as a person.

We're trolls because we told you that this program isn't advancing and that if Dooley wasn't fired he would set recruiting back and run what could be a championship level program into the ground.

We're trolls when 7 of nine coaches jumped shipped and took lateral positions at other programs and we pointed out that this wasn't a good thing.

We're trolls because when Sunseri was hired we didn't drool over a career linebackers coach who had two years Defense Coordinating experience.

Yeah...we're the trolls because for the last three years we've spoken the truth and because you think that every coach should just magically be given eight years to ruin UT football.

But now you've come to your senses after THREE YEARS of this loser and you still call us trolls.

Welcome to real world jacka**.

kwvolsfan writes:

A note to MR. Hart A.D. for the University of Tennessee.

Sir,
I reside in the St. Louis, Mo. area, and being a lifelong Volunteer by birth and by choice (U.S. Navy), I have the opportunity to occassionaly attend one or two games a year. That being said I will be traveling back to where I was born and raised (Chattanooga) this next week to attend the Vandy game. This is my annual get to hang out with my little brother as we always attend this game.
I have a limited budget that my wife and I set aside each year just for this trip.
So............
$143.00 for two tickets
1284 miles to travel = $175.00 in gas
$100.00 for meals (mcdonal's $1 menu)
$ 75.00 - $100.00 for merch (shirt etc)
$100.00 for odds and ends.
So $600 or so for me to come visit and watch my beloved VOLS struggle to win, makes me wonder if I should better utilize these funds for something more worthwhile.
I'm commited to this years trip since tickets have been purchased and plans have been made. However, I will assuredly look at next years trip to see if YOU or the University have given me a reason to beleive that there will be a significant improvement over this year & last the last two years product.
In conclusion I would venture that I am not the only one with a limited disposable income that supports the athletic department & while not season ticket holders or boosters, we the majority could find a better use for those funds.

Thanks
Kurt M. Wise
Volunteer for life.

OrangeMike writes:

in response to rootin4volz:

Add to that the facts that we have neither a defense nor a kicker and he plays for overtime. The only issue I heard any division about was whether he should be fired this evening or tomorrow.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Rock85:

If 10 wins per year in a 11 game schedule, national relevance, NFL players all over, SEC Title game every 3 or so years, taking players in recruiting from the big boys, owning everybody...yea if that is a problem than I will take those problems anyday.

Thanks Hall of Famer. Most understand the way you set the bar of success here like no other time in history and that no one will ever match what you did. No one!!!!!! Ut is not an easy place to win but the great one spoiled you. It was the greatest era in school history. Should have enjoyed it. Now, enjoy your change LOL!!!

VolzsFan writes:

in response to VOL_IN_BAMA:

you are right on Gruden. Way wrong on Strong. The best guy that would win at ut is James Franklin. Hard for many of you to digest but true.

honesthoward writes:

UT fans are divided on this?? Really????? Which morons think Dooley is doing a good job and desrves $2 mill a year??

oldster writes:

I stood by Dooley when others were abandoning ship. I cannot any longer. His teams continually fall apart in the second half, unless they have already fallen apart in the first. What is scary to me, is that I am not upset. I rooted for the Vols for 55 years before this year. I lived and died with their successes or failures. The situation no longer fazes me. If I am not alone in this, and I do not think I am, this could spell the end not only for Dooley (heck, he should be able to live well without ever having to work another day in his life with what he will have made from UT in 3 years), but for UT football in general. The program is moribund. Thank you Jimmy Cheek, Mike Hamilton, Lane Kiffin, Dave Hart (he demanded Sunseri) and, yes, Derek Dooley.

D81 writes:

I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt. He is terrible! Im tired of this "Saban Disciple" phooey!! Im tired of hearing about how if someone coached under, shook hands with, or touched the hem of Sabans garment that they MUST be a good football coach.

woodcutter writes:

The only question should be whether to fire him immediately, or wait until the end of the season!

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Bears repeating. I don't know why anyone would say he is a "good guy." There's not much data for that.

And no matter what happens he is set for life. Hard to feel sorry for him based on that.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Welcome to real world jacka**.

It was always clear to me that it wasn't the recruiting, or the supposed mess left by Kiffin or Fulmer, or the many player and coach departures - it was ALWAYS Dooley being a dreadfully bad coach with no leadership acumen whatsoever.

I've said this many times:

The more Dooley you inject into a team, the worse it does.

But I should note that those of us who saw this fiasco clearly got a lot of abuse and name caling simply because we had a different opinion.

Some people who post here should be ashamed of that.

Walt

UT'81

punkin writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Name one top 25 team that Franklin has beaten. Just one.

powert#205805 writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

I've said this many times:

The more Dooley you inject into a team, the worse it does.

Some people who post here should be ashamed of that.

Walt

UT'81

I thought it was a joke when I heard they were hiring him. UT was going to hire a guy with a losing record in a weak conference? A guy Memphis wouldn't hire? Nah.

He was a bad coach, hired by a horrendous AD.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Welcome to real world jacka**.

Look in the mirror your just like them taking advantage of your speculation proving correct. You could have very well been wrong had Dooley made a decent DC hire. However, the percentages were in your favor. Dooley came in OJT. No experience and not a clue as to what had to be done to right the ship. I dont blame Dooley but the culprits have always been the leadership that fooled the fans for three years. I just want KNS to get off this as soon as possible and move to new coach talk and our future. Dooley must be fired today or Monday. I dont want him coaching aganst Vandy. Chit NO.

utfan36 writes:

I think CJG will be comeing back to UT he has ties at UT 86-89 as a grad asst. then went to PITT and the went PRO .yea he hasnt coached college in 26 years but all he has to do is flash that big ring and recruts WILL come! He is a defenseive minded coach and that is what UT needs, he has already looked at the talant UT has after the SC game on his flight to AZ to call the monday night football i think it was AZ VS 49ers but dolley is gone there just waiting for the season to end! They done got there man so why fire now and put preaser on the players! But after the KY game CDD will be looking for a new job! GO VOLS

10ACfan100 writes:

I've tried to support Dooley but he showed me yesterday that he is not mentally tough enough to lead our team. We need a coach who tries to score whenever the team can. Not just give up and wait for overtime.

utfan36 writes:

You cant take a coach from the SUN OR WAC what ever conf. ULT is in WITH a loseing record and throw him in the SEC and win! Thank you MIKE HAMILTON for screwing UT

vfl76 writes:

in response to jdogg44:

You are correct, "NO ONE WILL EVER SAY THAT"....I think we would have a better record if we went without a head coach. Let the OC run the Offense and the DC run the Defense, and take turns when a decision has to be made on whether you go for it or punt. Dooley is as worthless as t____ on a Boar. Remember when Battle went for it on 4th down on the 30 something...which was the final nail in the coffin, this running the clock out at the end of the game, should be the final nail in his coffin, actually the loss to KY last year should have been, but the powers to be gave him another year. NOT HAVING A HEAD COACH IS BETTER THAN DOOLEY. Next time I will tell you how I really feel.

sstirrer writes:

Just because the team may go "three and out" on a drive doesn't mean that should be the theme for the head coach. While I was sorely disappointed with some of his calls yesterday, UT needs the stability of keeping a coach around for a while, rather than 3 and out.

tnbigg writes:

D E B A T E I T? Wake up morons. This case is closed...

vfl76 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

He has a 4-18 SEC record in the last 3 years, not 3-18, he still needs to go, Fire his Donkey rear now.

vfl76 writes:

in response to sstirrer:

I need some of whatever you are drinking, Not having a coach would be better than this 3 and out donkey.

oldvoltimer62 writes:

If not Gruden give Jimmy Johnson a call proven winner everywhere he's been.Offer him the farm plus all the hair products he wants.