David Climer: Derek Dooley's time is up for Tennessee Vols

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee coach Derek Dooley leaves the field after the Vols' 51-48, four-overtime loss to Missouri on Saturday at Neyland Stadium.

KNOXVILLE — With 30 seconds remaining in a tie game and with two timeouts in hand, Derek Dooley decided the best course of action was to let the clock run out.

After Tennessee lost to Missouri 51-48 in four overtimes on Saturday, there was the unmistakable sense that Dooley’s time as Vols coach also expired.

It’s time for a change. Even at the cost of a $5 million buyout, UT simply can’t afford to keep Dooley around for a fourth season. His body of work just doesn’t merit it.

This was UT’s sixth loss of the season and its fifth in the past six games, a skid broken only by the 55-48 survival act against Troy a week ago. As the defeats have piled up, so has the distinct feeling that Dooley’s days as coach are numbered.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

volcop writes:

goodbye Dooley

volcop writes:

hang down your head, coach dooley
hang down your head and cry
hang down your head coach dooley
poor boy your going bye-bye

signalcorps writes:

if he's going to be fired it needs to be now that way the new coach can get a head start.......

laraccoon writes:

i agree we have more talent , unfortunately its not enough to overcome our lack of coaching.

BrassMonkey writes:

I was just wondering if all the sunshine pumpers and Dooley lovers from the start of the season still think 10-2 or 9-3 is possible? Please comment below.

1939flyingwedge writes:

The honorable thing would be for him to resign

VOLFORLIFE writes:

I posted on facebook as I left the stadium yesterday that if a coach could be fired for stupidity, Derek Dooley should be fired before nightfall.

I've tried to support Dooley for the third year now. I've tried to tell myself that he would bring the program around. But, obviously, I've been lying to myself. He's cleaned up the "character issues" well enough, and I give him credit for that. But he also has to be able to coach in the SEC, and he JUST CAN'T DO IT!!

Time for a change. I hate starting over...AGAIN! But the same ole same ole just ain't cuttin' it either.

My heart hurts for the players who give their all for Tennessee, but they deserve better. They deserve a coach (coaches) who can guide them to winning seasons. This staff isn't it.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

climberNeeds2workATwendys writes:

can we Fire Climber too while we're at it??pllleeeaasseeee!!!

Vol1983 writes:

"The first two plays, I was pushing it," he said. "We screwed up both of those plays – poor execution. I didn't have confidence we were going to get it on third-and-10." A coach who does not have confidence in his players is a coach who does not have confidence in himself or his staff. These are not the words of a D-1 coach. If there is justification for not having that confidence it is the awareness of his own short commings as coach. We have no confidence Dooley can turn this program around; so he must be shut down. FIRE THE BUM!!!

climberNeeds2workATwendys writes:

talent has nothing to do with it if the coach(dooley)won't let the kids play and have a chance to score.timeouts aren't for being used to go to the bathroom

climberNeeds2workATwendys writes:

i feel like the vols are like alabama when they went through like 4 head coaches in just 5 or six years..maybe if ut waive 10 million in front of Saban we can see him having a press conference saing"I'm not the new head coach at Tennessee"

Jakevol writes:

I could not understand the call with 30 seconds to go in the game by not putting the ball up in the air down field. Maybe they could have caught the ball and kicked a field goal. This is a sign of weakness.

SavTnVol writes:

I texted my son yesterday when CDD pulled that stupidity and asked him "do you believe this?" He replied, "Kinda like playing in a golf scramble and NOT using any of your mulligans. He acted like he was scared." I just cannot get over this total act of noncoaching when you have an arm like Brays and receivers catching the ball like today. At least give the kicker a chance.. STUPID!...I'm in agreement now..He needs to be GONE...either fired or he needs to man up and and leave the system..

volaholic45 writes:

The article writes itself, ala Climer, Adams, Wiedmer, probably more.

Time to change the channel from this 1000 ways to die show.

BigOrangeRock writes:

If only we had a healthy Bray and Hunter...

HIRE FULMER BACK

arkyvol writes:

i look at it as our mike shula experiment (except that shula was a better coach).

Rock85 writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

If only we had a healthy Bray and Hunter...

HIRE FULMER BACK

replace a mistake with a hasbeen ...

Rock85 writes:

GRUDEN,JIMMY JOHNSON, SPEND THE MONEY GET THE GUY FIX OUR PROGRAM... OR STAY LAST IN THE SEC PUT 30,000 IN THE STANDS BECOME OL MISS

ctownvol writes:

If Dooley walked out of that stadium last night still the head coach, it's a total joke. When he put the timeouts in his pocket at the end of regulation, somebody should've been rekeying his office so he couldn't get back in. There should be U-Hauls pulling up at his front door right now.

Ironcity writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

You really nailed it. Its not good that UT has to start over. We needed Dooley to be good. Unfortunately their is no choice. Dooley has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is in over his head. For recruiting purposes you have to move now. Otherwise it only gets worse.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to climberNeeds2workATwendys:

1.) Climber doesn't need to be fired, Dooley does; 2.) What's the difference between "like 4 head coaches" and just 4 head coaches; 3.) It's saying, not "saing", and; 4.) Re: Nick Saban and Alabama - Wasn't it GREAT seeing the looks of despair on the faces of those mullet-clad, inbred rednecks in Tuscaloosa as their life came crashing down around them yesterday? The one's all body-painted up were especially entertaining! I've got a feeling you could hear a pin drop in all the Alabama Waffle Houses last night! Bahahahahahaha!!!!! :-)

Vols_fan_27 writes:

"What should be done eventually, must be done immediately."

Why put off something that everyone knows is going to happen? Get the search for the next coach started now... Not in 2 more weeks...GBO!

tennisvol writes:

Hey Mike Hamilton wherever you are - thanks for helping bring this football program to a new low. How does a coach going 4-8 at Louisiana Tech his last year qualify for a SEC coach? Maybe there was something there that Vol fans didn't know.

ajwlfw#574737 writes:

As Missouri lined up to kick the game winning fieldgoal yesterday, I thought about a cold, gray November day in 1976.
The clock was counting down the last 20 seconds of a 7-0 loss to Kentucky. As I stood there, I thought- "This is it for Coach Battle". He resigned either the next day or the following Monday. Johnny Majors was waiting in the wings to take over the job. I remember being sad for Coach Battle, because I liked him and wanted him to be successful, but I was also excited about the prospect of Johnny coming home. As much as I like Coach Dooley and want him to be susccessful-his success is our success-it's time for a change. Even with a 21-7 lead at the half, I expected us to lose. I was thinking how and when are we going to blow this game? When we let the clock run out in regulation, I knew it was over. In overtime, I knew either the defense would totally fail, which it did, or offensively we would just not make the play we needed to win and we didn't. Like the Dish TV commercial says- "It's Time".

Orangepuddinskin writes:

What the heck, give him 4 more years. He reminds me of our current political situation, and we gave him 4 more years.

BigOrangeDan writes:

in response to volcop:

hang down your head, coach dooley
hang down your head and cry
hang down your head coach dooley
poor boy your going bye-bye

You really are a jerk!!!
Volcop you are a loser!

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to tennisvol:

If you want to complain about somebody, how about Jimmy Cheek? He was supposed to be supervising Mikey, but allowed him to play out in the street instead. Not only in hiring Dooley, which is bizarre enough, but granting an extension and raise after his first year? Really? Why Jimmy Cheek is still drawing paychecks from the University Of Tennessee is beyond me.

ajwlfw#574737 writes:

in response to tennisvol:

I agree with you. We have to lay this whole mess at Mike Hamilton and the upper leadership's feet. I've followed Tennessee football for 49 years and I'm an alum.I've never seen our program in such a state of disarray. It sickens me. I bleed Orange and here lately, I've bled alot.

orangepowerT writes:

Well we just lost a great shot at getting Derrick Green, the number one running back in the country because of all this talk of firing. Makes me sick that folks get on here and pound the team and coaches knowing recruits are watching these boards. Its a shame> These post are killing our team and our schools rep. Please stop......we all can see we have problems with our football team right now and it will be fixed, but please stop all the negative talk because it will do nothing but heart the next coach coming in to take over the program. You all are so harsh with words that a good coach as you all call it will not want to come to Tennessee.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to orangepowerT:

We will lose Derrick Green because we SUCK! I honestly don't understand how you Dooley drinking supporters can continue to enjoy losing seasons. When we hired him, I was stoked. I hoped he would succeed, but in 3 years with ZERO improvement, I just cannot understand people like you. It is time for changed, not more losing seasons.

We should have beaten Mizzou easily yesterday, but we changed our game plan after we were up by 14. Dooley has ZERO killer instinct. If you play conservative in the SEC, then you will continue to lose. It is time for him to go and let the healing process begin.

TKO writes:

I believe Dooley will resign and probably today. I will give him credit for bringing a broom and cleaning up the program. Unfortunately it did not work out. Nice guy but a bad job fit.

UKblue02 writes:

in response to Jakevol:

a hail mary works sometimes, i remember the lsu last play of the game against us some years back...snatched a victory form the jaws of defeat for them....

movinonup writes:

Give him credit for cleaning up the program. He is not head coach material, but a good guy.
Fire him as coach and retain him as something like Director of player relations with no buy out, no firing. Get a good coach and retain a good person on staff....case solved.

vq4nfo writes:

I have supported CDD up until that 47sec clock at the end. I have never seen a coach with the offensive weapons he had just lay down and go into overtime with two time outs left.

He just continues to make calls that baffle everyone. Kinda like Les Miles, but at least Miles gets the job done despite his bad calls.

underthehill writes:

in response to TKO:

Dooley has made it clear he is not that stupid and he will get his 5 mil buyout..which he is entitled to due to his contract..

Vol1983 writes:

in response to orangepowerT:

It is stupid to think that the blogs have anything to do with recruiting. Ignorant post.

makelemonade writes:

in response to Rock85:

No, they're not Ole Miss. The Rebs would hang at least 50 on this defense.

SteelerNation writes:

If they keep Dooley our talented juniors will be out of here. Why would they stay? Hart needs to show our current players that there is a reason to possibly stay. Going to lose a few regardless but watch how fast they start declaring for the draft if he stays.

underthehill writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

If you want to ask questions about the Dooley hire ..who hired the search firm ..who owns and/or controls the search firm..whatever you think of Hamilton do you really think he had any input in this...I don't ..he would have done the search himself..and why has Hamilton said nothing when Hart reported to Alabama that UT ath dept is in the worse financial shape..by far ..of any in the SEC..I think his liberal buyout included hush money that prohibits him from talking..

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to 1939flyingwedge:

The honorable thing would be for him to resign

The honorable thing , would you? I think NOT .

VinylVols writes:

in response to orangepowerT:

Not getting derrick green probably isn't going to affect us a whole lot at this point. Tennessee lately hasn't been able to coach good players when we bring them in anyways. Remember Bryce Brown, the #1 overall recruit? That went pretty well.... naaattt

pcorange writes:

in response to orangepowerT:

You need to get your head out of the sand. The reason we are losing recruits has nothing to do with this message board and everything to do with piss poor coaching. Let's see, do I go to Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU where the coaching is good and I have a chance to win, or do I go to Tennessee who is about to post it's third losing season in a row? It's a pretty easy decision for most recruits, and it has nothing to do with fans honest assessment of historically awful coaching on a message board.

VinylVols writes:

Okay don't get me wrong, Dooley has to go. But I can't help but think how crazily opposite season we're having. We are having one of the best offensive seasons of Tennessee Volunteers ever, but the worst defensive season ever. Apparently Dooley only started working on defense this past week which would say that he mainly worked on offense, which is working very well. The defense and special teams are the big problem on this team. If we had even a decent defense, we would have won against georgia, mississippi state, south carolina, missouri, and we would have been 8-2 at this point. That is a farfetched reality i'll admit, and Dooley still has to go, but it's just something i've been thinking about as well. I think the secondary just doesn't have enough talent, we have given up far too many 3rd/4th and longs, especially yesterday.

BolivrBob writes:

I've been a Dooley supporter, but no more. He basically handed that game to Missouri yesterday. That game could have very possibly not even gone into overtime if he had shown his team a will to win. But he didn't. I remember Tommy Bartlett telling my Dad years ago that the key to hiring good assistants that produce wins is get get good YOUNG assistants on the way up, not old ones on the way down. Too bad Dooley didn't talk to Tommy.

chad954ut writes:

in response to Ironcity:

We actually started over after last season when the other coaches on the staff figured Dooley out and hauled tail.

ModelMaker writes:

I think Jon Gruden would make an excellent head coach for Tennessee. If Dave Hart goes after him with whatever It would take to get him here I think he will be our next head coach. I think he wants to get back into coaching. His wife is a UT graduate and her family lives in east Tennessee. I think that is huge. I think it would be easier for him to make a name for himself in college than the pros. Just imagine if you were a football player and someone came up to you and said Jon Gruden is sitting in the stands. I also think Jon loves Tennessee football.

BolivrBob writes:

I believe it will be Petrino

chad954ut writes:

in response to BigOrangeDan:

You really are a jerk!!!
Volcop you are a loser!

Stop attacking each other over a loser of a coach.

VOLinTX writes:

I as many of the VOL faithful, pulled for CDD to make this a good year. I believe he's done some good work in bringing about discipline and the VFL program. He appears to be a very nice man. His mother should be proud.
However, he's not the coach needed by Tennessee.
I hope the personal attacks against CDD STOP on the message boards and we just change coaches without all the undeserved name calling. He tried, he didn't make it.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

Pie in the Sky. Ain't happnin'