UT has 'Nothing to report' on coach Derek Dooley's job status

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley leaves the field after the Volunteers lost 51-48 to Missouri in four overtimes at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Do you think UT has made its decision to fire coach Derek Dooley?

See the results »

View previous polls »

A day after a loss that may seal his fate, Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley was hanging tenuously to his job even amid the widespread expectation that his firing was imminent.

Athletic director Dave Hart, who will make the call on Dooley's future, spent most of Sunday afternoon watching the Lady Vols at Regal Soccer Stadium in a first round NCAA tournament game.

An athletic department spokesperson said Hart had no new comment on Dooley's job status.

"There's nothing to report," said associate athletic director Jimmy Stanton late Sunday.

Hart has frequently said he would evaluate the program after the season, but that patience has been tested by the Vols' 0-6 SEC record.

Tennessee's four-overtime, 51-48, loss to Missouri on Saturday eliminated any hope of a late-season surge that might save Dooley's job. But the timing of Dooley's exit, if it takes place, remains uncertain.

The Vols (4-6, 0-6 SEC) are still eligible for a bowl if they win their final games at Vanderbilt (6-4, 4-3) on Saturday (TV: ESPN2, 7 p.m.) and at home against Kentucky (1-9, 0-7) on Nov. 24.

If Hart doesn't make a move today, it might indicate that he prefers to give the Vols a chance to pursue that sixth win without the distraction of a lame-duck or interim coach.

Even so, the distractions could be tough to ignore over the next two games.

Dooley said after Saturday's loss that he didn't know how the game would impact his future. He said he understands why fans are upset.

"There's a lot of negativity and that comes with the territory," he said.

After Saturday's loss, the News Sentinel and several websites wrote about Dooley's future in stark terms: The question of his firing was not if, but when?

As is often the case, the rumor mill got a bit ahead of itself on trying to determine the "when."

While Hart cheered on the Lady Vols in a 3-2 loss, reports were flying through Twitter that he was at that very moment meeting with the football staff to tell them their fate.

Other rumors surfaced that players had been called to the complex and told of Dooley's firing. But on Twitter, players said it was business as usual on Sunday. One recruit even tweeted late Sunday that he had just spoken to the coaching staff and that nothing had happened.

At least not yet.

Dooley has been generally been frank and candid in discussing the Vols' struggles, so he may shed light on just what the next two weeks will hold during his regular news conference at noon today.

There should be little to negotiate about his potential departure. Dooley is owed $5 million in monthly installments through 2016, and he has no incentive to accept less than what his contract requires. Assistant coaches could be owed as much as $4.3 million, although much of that total could be defrayed depending on how quickly his staff members find other jobs and how much those jobs pay.

Dooley didn't talk about his future on his Sunday television show.

"We had a lot of broken spirits in the locker room," he said, "including the coach."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Orangeblood64 writes:

my spirit has been broken since the florida game.

blindpig writes:

I honestly think Lovie Smith is our answer more so than John Gruden. Please come home Lovie and show Tennessee some Love!

jobrando#216494 writes:

The leadership hired old orange pants knowing he had zero experience so why should they say anything. Once Neyland reaches the magic panic level heads will roll and hopefully some folks high up will make this all go away. Hart's head is in serious trouble.

kjvols writes:

Dooley did upgrade the players but downgraded the coaching

Realist writes:

In the end, Dooley will make $12 million off of TN. $12 million for 4 SEC wins. WTF is wrong with these AD's? Why are not basic performance earmarks a part of the contract besides incentives? Dooley owes TN $5 million for his lack of performance. Not the other way around!

etu_vol_fan writes:

Lovie is not leaving the Bears. They are in line to win the North this year. Not going to happen. Gruden: Not going to happen. They will go cheap again like every AD has ever done. Dooley is the football equivalent of Wade Houston.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Really? You think Hart's head is in trouble. Really? This is the kind of stuff that just waste my time....Really? You think Hart's head in trouble...excuse me while I slobber in my oatmeal with laughter....situations like this make people completely irrational...not a CEO I'm assuming are you????

luke255#536431 writes:

in response to Realist:

Well said!! Pretty sick to see him get so much money for such a poor job, still can't figure why he got such a great contract!! He was making about $800,000 at La Tech with a 4-8 season! I really can't make sense of this rationally it hurts my head.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

I was skeptical of Hart when he was hired because of the trouble at Florida State, but I supported him. I should have stayed with my original feelings. We're now into the second year of Hart's tenure and UT athletics is fighting a sex discrimination lawsuit, women's athletics have gone straight down the crapper, and this Dooley thing is a mess.

Maybe Hart pulls this out and redeems himself, but I'm not hopeful.

UT_Braddah writes:

0-6 this season. If we had one of the coaches everyone is dreaming about (many of whom wouldn't take the job after Kiffin left), what would our record be right now? Who would we have beaten: Bama? UGA? UF? MSU? SC? Answer the question.

Not saying Dooley shouldn't go at this point. Just sayin, when you have that kinda schedule with the talent we have, it's mission impossible. I think Sal has been the real downfall, even though many on this forum clearly have personal dislike for Dooley. I also think if we had solid play out of our DBs this season (not great play, just decent play), we'd have 1-3 more wins and a couple of the losses would have been less embarrassing. Too bad Jansen(SP?) Jackson was such a dumb butt.

Gonna be tough to get a premier coach to take this job though.

CrankE writes:

"There's a lot of negativity and that comes with the territory" - Dooley

Instead of managing the fans emotions or worrying about their reactions, maybe work on influencing the things that are under your control coach.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Gonna be tough to get a premier coach to take this job though.

Exactly. Why would any sane coach leave a secure job to take over a program in trouble when he might not be given the time to complete a turnaround? As it stands now - leaving out the weasel, the last two head coaches would have been fired a year after replacing a coordinator who made major changes to the program (offense for Clawson and defense for Sunseri). Sure Dooley will be fine even if he never coaches again, and the old saying is contracts are made to be broken, but to get respect you have to earn respect. Hiring someone for a period of time to do a job and not allowing him to complete his tenure doesn't earn respect if you are a good coaching prospect staking your reputation and your livelihood on a party not known for honoring contracts. Like it or not Dooley needs to be allowed to resign on his own (unpressured) or to serve out his contract. Hammy and his enablers screwed it all up; that's where the blame belongs.

Vol737 writes:

in response to Realist:

You don't get it, do you? It's like this...see, you have to pay great coaches up front to be...able..to...awe hell, I don't get it either! Wish I could do a crappy job at work, get automatic raises and then a nice little $5 million bonus to leave.

willtowin writes:

in response to voodoo101:

Sorry. After a coach quits on his team he doesn't get any more time. That debacle yesterday is all on Dooley. Noone else.

VolinVirginia writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Maybe Hart pulls this out and redeems himself, but I'm not hopeful.

We already knew you weren't. It's really not that hard to deduce given your prolific postings.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to willtowin:

I don't understand letting time run out. BUT Tell me what tackles Dooley missed, what kicks did he muff, what balls did he fumble, what passes did he drop, what receivers did he fail to cover, when did he jump before the snap? There certainly were a lot of no one else's out there on the field. A question: if you have or if you expect to ever have children (for whom you will be responsible), do you think they will always do exactly as you tell them to? Do you think a deviation on their part makes or will make you a failure - a quitter? Did you do everything your parents, teachers, etc directed or expected you to do, or did you get lazy a few times or think you knew better a few times?

willtowin writes:

in response to voodoo101:

I understand what you are trying to say but you can't pretend this game occured in a vacuum. There has been numerous occasions his poor clock management or poor use of time outs has cost us a game. He is getting paid 2 million dollars. It's not acceptable. I don't expect perfection. I agree with you there. I do expect improvement. I do expect accountability from my coach,not pointing fingers at everyone else. I think dooley is probably a nice guy, just not a good football coach. There is too much money at stake to settle for mediocrity.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to voodoo101:

voodoo I do not know if you understand. But in atletics you drill and practice until these things are second nature.

Now Dooley lost me when he took up for darick rogers and forced Coach charlie begget out the door. He is a sleaze ball who talks with an al shuck vernacular. He is not the stand up good guy you think he is. Nick Saban can be and A hole because he wins dooley can not.

UT_Braddah writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

I understand you trashing him for the team's performance. But, "sleaze ball"? What are the facts to support that insult? Does he have a track record of sleaziness or unethical behavior? You don't like the way he talks?

vols37 writes:

My spirit was broken the day they hired a guy who didn't even have a winning record at his previous job. I guess working for Saban and having a name like Dooley was enough to get him the job. I remember Dooley's mom, Barbara Dooley, proudly and confidently proclaiming in year one that UT had the best coach in America. I guess old age can do strange things to the mind and make people delusional. I could go on and on, I will end it with one statement. Does anyone out there honestly believe we would ever win a championship with this guy at the helm. I don't know how anyone with a good faith answer could answer anything but NO. The program was in rough shape when he came, it is in even worse shape now. ZERO improvement. First 5 SEC games year one, 0-5. First five SEC games year two, 0-5. First six SEC games year three, 0-6. The evidence is overwhelming. The guy needs to do the right thing and resign. But why should I think this would happen? Dooley not once in 3 years has ever said the following: I am the head coach, ultimately I bear the responsibility. Not once. Real men and real coaches say those things periodically. Hell, Nick Saban said it yesterday and he's the best coach in the nation. But not Dooley, in his entire tenure, you ever noticed that with him it is always someone else's fault. How dare he, Dooley, actually take responsibility like any real man or coach would. That ought to tell you all you need to know about the punk taking millions from us for doing absolutely nothing. We are the laughing stock of the league. Thank you coach Dooley. I wouldn't even let you coach my son's pee wee team. Good riddance.

vfl76 writes:

in response to voodoo101:

You don't get it do you. Dooley would be given 4, 5, even 6 years if he shows improvement every year (just a little improvement). But when it goes in the other direction every year, you lose the extra years. We won 3 SEC games in his first year and went to a bowl and lost. The second year, we won only one SEC game and didn't go to a bowl, and who knows about the 3rd year. Improvement every year gives you more years to build. Dooley has shown no improvement. I don't see a turn around. If you do show me when it turned.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

See the Charle Begget issue here is the link. http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/f...

this was all for coach dooley favorite pot head darick rogers. Who by the way never played another down at UT.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

no the way he talks is fine he is just not what he seems to come off as being.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to willtowin:

I fully expect Dooley to be replaced, but in all honesty I'm too much of an idealist to agree with that. I certainly understand your position about money and accountability, but my brain won't accept that argument when we are talking amateur sports - college athletics. This is supposed to be an educational process - how young men become the people we would want them to be as well as learning how to develop and master their talents; that's far more than just winning and losing. If you didn't master the course work, a passing grade is meaningless - at least assuming you actually need that knowledge in a career after school. Sports are a part of college life - a recreational part. But we got off track and college athletics became farm teams for professional sports. Again the idealist in me says we need to turn that back to the rivalries that were college sports - turn our backs on the pros - let them solve their own problems - they can have the gifted athletes and colleges can have students who play sports. Then we wouldn't be paying coaches millions per year, and we wouldn't be paying what we do for tickets either. But my argument is as dead as dialing back commercialism and Christmas - I'm waiting for pre-Christmas sales starting in July.

I think when we don't honor promises - coaching contracts; we simply are teaching the players that honesty and promises don't mean anything any more - and maybe they don't. Leading and teaching is almost always by example, and we aren't showing these young men that when you make a mistake you have to live with the consequences.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Gonna be tough to get a premier coach to take this job though.

Name the coach and I will name the record. For Starters, Cutcliffe would have a minimum of 2 more wins right now, possibly GA too. 6-4 is better. 7-3 is much better. You seriously need to hop over to GoVolsXJr. If Dooley doesn't allow that Wildcat call at Ky last year inside the 10 and we win that game and a bowl, he keeps his assts. with a better defense, we are 7-3. But he couldn't beat Ky.

Many coaches would have done better. I am tired of detailing specific decisions made while he was coaching that have nothing to do with Fulmer or Kiffin that have led to losses. He is horrible and he is getting canned. Get over it.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to vfl76:

As long as we only measure improvement/performance by wins and losses - with no regard to schedule - with no regard to roster - with no regard to any other factors, then I guess you are right there was no improvement. But I do "get it" - having anything less than 12 and 0 and winning the BCS just doesn't cut it - because if you just count wins then in another six years or so continued improvement says there has to be 12 wins. God only knows what happens then - maybe we have to go beat up a pro team or two.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to voodoo101:

1. A VERY basic strategy of football when you are in FG range is to place the ball for you kicker. We have a lefty. So ideally the ball is centered or at the left hash. So on 3rd down at the right hash, we call a play to the right. We didn't get the 1st down. Palardy kicks from the right hash...straight. So wide right. 3 pts missed.

2. 2nd half. Mizzou is getting pressure on Bray. We continue to throw and though Bray statistically had a good game, most of that was in the first half. He throws the ball away on several occasions. No yards, no time used. Why not trust the run?

3. How many fades have worked for us? Why call it.

4. 2 pt Conv in OT. Why go predictable? Use Cordarelle or Beast formation. Surely after 70 minutes, their defense is tired.

5. End of regulation with 2 TO's. The textbook book says draw. Throw for 0.

6. How many illegal procedure/participation penalties did we have?

So Dooley made plenty of goofs. He is not a good coach. Accept it. The first step is admitting you have a problem. The Kentucky loss was my first step. Quit fighting it.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to voodoo101:

Vodoo you are right about a lot of thing you just posted. We would probably all be a lot better off if we lived this way. This is funny Derek salary is 2 mil where as his dad vince went to GA 1964 and was the AD as well as football coach for $12'000.00 a year.

wildmed writes:

Train wreck, pure and simple, this entire episode from the firing of Fulmer to the overtime loss to Missouri has been a complete disaster. How letting Dooley coach our team another three years will make it better is beyond me. I hope Hart acts in the best interests of the university.

pcorange writes:

Boy, this is getting old in a hurry. I'm starting to think Hart thinks this is funny. It ain't funny. They have destroyed UT football, and I, for one, am mad as hell about it. DO YOUR JOB, DAVE HART!

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

Sports Illustrated is running a story from VolQuest that Dooley is out at the end of the season. http://tracking.si.com/2012/11/11/der...

Two things: 1) I hope this is true and 2) Tony Basilio reported on Dooley's ouster after the Bama game. You might hate the guy, but he's right more than he is wrong and he seems to be the only knoxville media personality not trying to kiss the AD's a** in exchange for access to stories about player hygiene and not knowing what is going on behind the scenes.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to etu_vol_fan:

You guys are so amazing at the names you pick/post as possible head coaches at UTK. It's comical. BonzaiVol

bornin47 writes:

buh bye

FWBVol writes:

in response to voodoo101:

I'm all with you about honoring Dooley's contract and the contracts of the other coaches. But there are two ways to honor those contracts and, IMO, neither makes the university look bad.

If the powers that be keep Dooley around until the contract expires, of course that is honoring it. But when you fire a coach and coaching staff, and pay those men the agreed buyout, then it could very well be argued the contract is honored as well.

If you fire Dooley and, as some have suggested, don't pay him the agreed upon buyout, then you don't honor the contract. But if you pay him what you said you would if things don't work out then the contract is honored.

lafollette37766 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Hart did not hire Ole Dudley Dooright Dooley Ole Hamey did. Good Ole Hamey. The gift that just keeps on screwing UT.

BigOrangeRock writes:

Dooleave.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

I have never figured why some think Hart is in any trouble. Not all AD's talk like Mike Hamilton. I would say wheels have been in motion since the SC game

Retiredvol writes:

in response to luke255#536431:

Why do you think Mike Hamilton "retired" so quickly?

dk writes:

in response to voodoo101:

Finally, someone with an intelligent post. Thanks for sharing.

underthehill writes:

in response to lafollette37766:

Hamilton did not hire Dooley and Hart will not hire the next coach..it goes higher than that..Hart may make the announcement but he will not decide who the next coach will be..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

UT brass: We have nothing to say in regards to Derek Dooley's termination..Next question.

govols082859#1369959 writes:

No one wants the Volts to win more than me living amongst these God awful Georgia fans, buts let's be realistic.
What was satans record first 3 years at Ala with full scholarships from day one.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to dk:

Finally, someone with an intelligent post. Thanks for sharing.

How do you figure Dooley has earned the right to resign on his own? He has earned nothing but to be fired for his sorry job performance

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to Orangeblood64:

my spirit has been broken since the florida game.

You had no shot against Florida, y'all played the game of your life to keep it close for 2.5 quarters. Y'all were totally fooled by a NC State team who mad you look way better than you were.

Florida is at 8-straight in what will turn out to be a 15+ game winning streak. Another coaching change will set UT back another 3-5 years.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Joker Phillips is available.

Flyfisherman writes:

Literally, nothing here to see...Move along now.

tensie2004 writes:

Three years ago Hamilton hired a coach that had a losing record at a much smaller level school. We were behind the 8 ball on this hire because of the time fame in which we had to look for a new coach because of Kiffin. Also, the fact that we were only going to pay 2 million a year meant that we were only going to get looked at from bottom basement coaches like Dooley. We are on the verge of making that same mistake if the administration does not go on this week and just make the statement that Dooley is finished at Tennessee and details will be coming in the next week.
If we put this off we will be placed behind the 8 ball again with several SEC schools already looking for coaches for next year. We will be left with what the others did not want, just like Dooley. One last thing, the Vols will have to pay 4 or 5 million at the least to get a top quality coach. If we do not do that, things will never change for the Vols. Even though Bama got beat saturday, they will still tell you that you get what you pay for and Sabin was worth it. Mr. Cheek, Mr. Hart, and the trustees CAN NOT put this off!!

SandySpringsVol writes:

Regarding AD Hart, he is under no obligation to reveal anything that he is thinking or doing with respect to the football program except to the administration of the university.

Meanwhile, is it better to publicly fire the coach during the season and then start a public search a la Mike Hamilton, who many on here despise? Or is it better to work behind the scenes to get things set up for a more complete announcement (e.g., "Coach Dooley will not be retained after this season; we are pleased to announce that Jon Gruden will succeed Coach Dooley in 2013")?

Given the negative impact the former would have on recruiting, current players, etc., the latter would appear to make the most sense, although it certainly won't feed the emotionally immature "Fire him now!" outcries that fill this board.

oldvoltimer62 writes:

UT Board of Diredtors outta throw Jimmy Cheeks out of offfice first of all.He started this debaucle by hiring the turncoat Mike Hamiliton to begin with.My question why on earth would UT ever hire a alum from another university to lead their university hasn't UT ever graduated someone with enough smarts to be place in a leadership role.I would think so.Heres a thought maybe UT needs new Directors that are loyal to UT first of all,and a Chancellor that does not have Alabama ties,instead a UT diploma.

RememberWhen writes:

I've been screaming for DoLittle to go since the day he was hired....but now we're at the point that everybody just needs to calm down....this is a done deal and will be announced in two weeks. Hart is doing the right thing in waiting til season's end - as long as he has the new guy ready to go already, which I believe he does. Announcing it now doesn't buy anything. Gotta remember this is all supposed to be about the players and letting them finish the season as best they can is the right call. This isn't Hart's first rodeo a la Hamilton so fans just need to stop speculating, chill out and quit acting like they have any control or their opinion matters.